Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
MMDown Under

How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Going nuts down here, health authority had to close the testing facility, ran out of the testing materials, can you believe.  Many businesses closing. A town of 11,000 paranoid.  Our Eurobodalla Meals on Wheels Service, where I spend a couple of mornings a week has suspended all volunteers over 70, as vunerable people, which is 95% of the 60 strong work force @ Batemans Bay, Moruya and Narooma.  We have 5 paid employees in our office, i.e. Manager, Stock, Finance, Admin etc who will doing the packing and deliveries to 300 clients this week, they will be earning their money.  We have to keep pumping the frozen meals out, so many folk dependent on them.

 

So if you were coming down to the Batemans Bay area, don't, go north. It is a 'hot spot.'  Stay safe it is a jungle out there.

It's not surprising businesses are shutting Les. Hopefully testing will continue tomorrow. Hope all goes well well with the distribution of meals to your Meals on Wheels clients. Is it possible to get help from other sources? Such as local council employees.

 

Reading the online news before, the two Woolworths distribution centres in Melbourne's south east suburbs have been closed due to positive Covid tests for 17 staff. They expect deliveries to Woolworths supermarkets to be severely disrupted which will mean shortages in stores and more panic shopping.

 

Leigh

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Going nuts down here, health authority had to close the testing facility, ran out of the testing materials, can you believe.  Many businesses closing. A town of 11,000 paranoid.  Our Eurobodalla Meals on Wheels Service, where I spend a couple of mornings a week has suspended all volunteers over 70, as vunerable people, which is 95% of the 60 strong work force @ Batemans Bay, Moruya and Narooma.  We have 5 paid employees in our office, i.e. Manager, Stock, Finance, Admin etc who will doing the packing and deliveries to 300 clients this week, they will be earning their money.  We have to keep pumping the frozen meals out, so many folk dependent on them.

 

So if you were coming down to the Batemans Bay area, don't, go north. It is a 'hot spot.'  Stay safe it is a jungle out there.

NT is on the ball as it has banned visitors from Eurobodalla.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard there was a crowd of 18000 at the Adelaide oval tonight, hope no covid transmission. Also there will be a 2 week trial of random people being tested at pharmacy shops, selected by the staff if the customer reports covid symptoms.

Not sure what happens if a positive case is found, customers and staff potentially exposed and shop closed for deep cleaning?

They are not going to disclose the shops so no one will know if a particular place is one of the testing places.

A sampling exercise.

Tried to buy some masks wit no luck. May have to use whatever we can find. Strange world we live in at present with constant changes. Take care. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pully8 said:

Heard there was a crowd of 18000 at the Adelaide oval tonight, hope no covid transmission. Also there will be a 2 week trial of random people being tested at pharmacy shops, selected by the staff if the customer reports covid symptoms.

Not sure what happens if a positive case is found, customers and staff potentially exposed and shop closed for deep cleaning?

They are not going to disclose the shops so no one will know if a particular place is one of the testing places.

A sampling exercise.

Tried to buy some masks wit no luck. May have to use whatever we can find. Strange world we live in at present with constant changes. Take care. 

There are many ways of making home made masks (you tube) if you get desperate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

There are many ways of making home made masks (you tube) if you get desperate.

Yes, saw one yesterday showing how to make a mask from a sock, with no sewing required. Liked the comment from one contributor - best to use a clean sock 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pully8 said:

Tried to buy some masks wit no luck. May have to use whatever we can find. Strange world we live in at present with constant changes. Take care. 

Try buying them online. Chemist Warehouse have two different 50 masks packs, one is $59.99 with free shipping, the other is $49.99 but you pay for shipping.

 

We bought some a couple of weeks ago and they were delivered within a few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sad! 😪

 

I just cancelled our September Sapphire Princess Round Australia cruise. It was all very simple as we'd booked using an FCD so that has just been put back on our Princess account. 

 

It's crazy that Princess haven't already cancelled that cruise, and it's various sector cruises. There is no possible way it could happen with outbreaks in Melbourne and Sydney plus our governments' attitudes to cruise ships (as opposed to large pubs/clubs and sports grounds).

 

The next cruise we have booked is a Cunard one, Auckland to Sydney at the end of January. Fingers crossed that one will be viable. We'd need a Australia/NZ travel bubble for that to happen though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm sad! 😪

 

I just cancelled our September Sapphire Princess Round Australia cruise. It was all very simple as we'd booked using an FCD so that has just been put back on our Princess account. 

 

It's crazy that Princess haven't already cancelled that cruise, and it's various sector cruises. There is no possible way it could happen with outbreaks in Melbourne and Sydney plus our governments' attitudes to cruise ships (as opposed to large pubs/clubs and sports grounds).

 

The next cruise we have booked is a Cunard one, Auckland to Sydney at the end of January. Fingers crossed that one will be viable. We'd need a Australia/NZ travel bubble for that to happen though.

It is always sad to cancel a cruise you were looking forward to, especially a big one like a Round Australia cruise.  I hope you are able to book another one in the years ahead.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In Batemans Bay/Moruya area there have been around 1200 tests since Saturday, according to local reports no results back yet, just the 8 confirmed mid last week from the Soldiers Club.  I thought the turn around for a test result was 48 hrs?

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

It is always sad to cancel a cruise you were looking forward to, especially a big one like a Round Australia cruise.  I hope you are able to book another one in the years ahead.  

I'm just waiting for the next lot of itineraries to be released to book another cruise. 🤣 That's the beauty of the Princess FCDs, it makes it so easy.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm just waiting for the next lot of itineraries to be released to book another cruise. 🤣 That's the beauty of the Princess FCDs, it makes it so easy.

Sorry to read your cruise is a  shot duck, best of luck, finding another.  Indeed the Princess FCD's are great.

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

In Batemans Bay/Moruya area there have been around 1200 tests since Saturday, according to local reports no results back yet, just the 8 confirmed mid last week from the Soldiers Club.  I thought the turn around for a test result was 48 hrs?

I read somewhere that they are starting to do them in 24 hours in some labs. Would the swabs have to be sent to Sydney from Batemans Bay or are they able to be processed locally?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I read somewhere that they are starting to do them in 24 hours in some labs. Would the swabs have to be sent to Sydney from Batemans Bay or are they able to be processed locally?

 

I have no idea where they are being processed, I will try and find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, NSWP said:

In Batemans Bay/Moruya area there have been around 1200 tests since Saturday, according to local reports no results back yet, just the 8 confirmed mid last week from the Soldiers Club.  I thought the turn around for a test result was 48 hrs?

Depending on where the processing of tests is conducted, it can take up to 5 -7 days for test results. NSW labs are helping out with doing some Victorian tests as well so they are probably under the pump. I was tested on a Wednesday some weeks ago and I received the negative result on the Sunday. 

 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I read somewhere that they are starting to do them in 24 hours in some labs. Would the swabs have to be sent to Sydney from Batemans Bay or are they able to be processed locally?

 

NSW Health have a Lab at Moruya District Hospital, it is being done there, I have learnt.  It is a country facility, limited resources, so not the 24 hr turn around they might get from Sydney, more like 48 to 72 hrs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, NSWP said:

In Batemans Bay/Moruya area there have been around 1200 tests since Saturday, according to local reports no results back yet, just the 8 confirmed mid last week from the Soldiers Club.  I thought the turn around for a test result was 48 hrs?

Good news that there are still only 8 confirmed cases from the Batemans Bay Soldiers Club. 

Edited by MMDown Under

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about the cancelled cruise.

Many are having the same difficulties even with short bus or train trips booked last year.

Main issue is the locked borders of states and the possibility of who will be next.

Just reading about CMV cruise line in administration, potentially thousands of customers and staff.

Will look at the ordering on line masks.

Have worn the surgical ones often a poor fit and an odd smell, plus not meant for more than a few hours.

Happy mixed cloth ones look ok. we will all have to do what we can.

Take care all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

185 people have given false addresses to border control (between NSW and Old.) and one guy was found in the boot of a car.  

I'm wondering how long the border will remain open, with the virus spreading and people treating border control like a joke. 

Saw on tv news interview with one of the security staff in Melbourne, who was employed by WhatsApp, with no training, and only lasted one shift because of her concerns about safety. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, pully8 said:

Sorry to hear about the cancelled cruise.

Many are having the same difficulties even with short bus or train trips booked last year.

Main issue is the locked borders of states and the possibility of who will be next.

Just reading about CMV cruise line in administration, potentially thousands of customers and staff.

Will look at the ordering on line masks.

Have worn the surgical ones often a poor fit and an odd smell, plus not meant for more than a few hours.

Happy mixed cloth ones look ok. we will all have to do what we can.

Take care all. 

The surgical masks are OK as long as you pinch the top around your nose - there is a thin metal strip across the top which allows to shape it to your face.

 

I bought some fabrics yesterday to make reusable ones, with pipecleaners for the nose bridge shaping. I picked heavy, close thread, quilting fabric cotton for the outer layer as there are some lovely colours and patterns in those fabrics. Then a polycotton for the middle layer, and cotton jersey for the inner layer as thatbis soft and absorbent. I couldn't get elastic but I think I have some stashed in a drawer somewhere. Otherwise I might have to get some ribbon for ties.

 

I predict there will be a certain amount of swearing going on in my spare room over the next few days. 🤣

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Good news that there are still only 8 confirmed cases from the Batemans Bay Soldiers Club. 

It is good new thus far Marion, but processing times for tests are slow, up to 72 hours and testing facilities have been stressed, now 3 testing sites, Batemans Bay, Broulee and Moruya.  Early days down here re any more positive test results.   

 

I just went into town to get some groceries at Woolworths, town's streets and Woolworths was deserted, very few people about, whether they be tourists or locals. About 20% of people in Woollies were wearing masks, but staff at Deli, attending shelves and checkouts were not wearing masks, so a personal decision here re masks.  Many businesses here just closed up themselves from the weekend on.

 

Stay safe everyone, it is a jungle out there.

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

185 people have given false addresses to border control (between NSW and Old.) and one guy was found in the boot of a car.  

I'm wondering how long the border will remain open, with the virus spreading and people treating border control like a joke. 

Saw on tv news interview with one of the security staff in Melbourne, who was employed by WhatsApp, with no training, and only lasted one shift because of her concerns about safety. 

It could happen, another full border closure for Qld. Mammoth task for the police etc trying to control the many crossing points, as there is on the NSW/Vic border with 76 crossing points.  The police overtime bill would be mounting for the state governments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well crap, we have had a disappointing few days here. After many weeks of very few new cases in BC we have had over 100 reported in the last few days. This has been a bit of a wake up I hope. This latest outbreak seems to be mostly in the 20 to 40 year old group and 60 of them have been traced to a couple of events in Kelowna on July 1st. Parties a 2 different locations and I guess the "invincible" crowd all attended and passed the virus around. Great work everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well crap, we have had a disappointing few days here. After many weeks of very few new cases in BC we have had over 100 reported in the last few days. This has been a bit of a wake up I hope. This latest outbreak seems to be mostly in the 20 to 40 year old group and 60 of them have been traced to a couple of events in Kelowna on July 1st. Parties a 2 different locations and I guess the "invincible" crowd all attended and passed the virus around. Great work everyone.

Like here it is the 'party people' who are creating much of the community Covid spread.  Muppets, although I have stronger words for them.!@#$%^&* 👮‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well crap, we have had a disappointing few days here. After many weeks of very few new cases in BC we have had over 100 reported in the last few days. This has been a bit of a wake up I hope. This latest outbreak seems to be mostly in the 20 to 40 year old group and 60 of them have been traced to a couple of events in Kelowna on July 1st. Parties a 2 different locations and I guess the "invincible" crowd all attended and passed the virus around. Great work everyone.

Sorry to hear about the upsurge of covid by you. 

 

Unbelievable how the young refuse to realize they are spreading it. NY is holding its own and today added 10 more states that will require quarantining if you come from or visit them.  That makes a total of 31 non gratis states for NY. Police are cracking down on parties and bars that are violating the self distancing rules. 

 

NY Governor Cuomo..who is so unpopular with trumpsters.. is keeping NY on a tighter leash than most governors.  NYC had another phase opening..meaning more can be done..but refuses to allow restaurants inside customers as well as no museums, and gyms and concert halls.  He expects an upsurge due to more people out with the warm weather, but hoping to keep it at a minimal. Of course, the racial unrest keeps things tense with protests.  

Looks like every country has its share of selfish..me.me.me. people.  Currently over 50 % of hospital cases are under 50 yrs old. Our moron leader keeps telling everyone it is just like a cold for the young.  Tonight he did say it is worse than expected, he realizes his election poll numbers are not as good as he wants so now..5 months later..he might be changing his tune to it is not good. Damage is already done.  

 

Hope things go better for you and Canada as well as our friends in Australia.

 

So the Blood Bank sent my husband a beautiful birthday text this week..thanking him for his plasma donation and thanking him for  giving three more people another birthday too. Great PR.  Had us well up in tears....So we are back to the blood bank for another plasma donation this week..How could you not..when given lemons make lemonade.  We will be up to a dozen people getting our plasma..Not sure how long our antibodies will last..it is bad when giving blood is considered an outing.  My husband is calling it a cheap date...lol

 

To all....Stay safe and well!!

Edited by BRANDEE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...