Jump to content

Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?


Host Hattie
 Share

Recommended Posts

Supposed to be heading off on the Queen Victoria to Norway on Sunday. Have cancelled a week of leave and am just taking 1 week off next week instead (not really had a break since Christmas). Had my trip to Alaska on QE in August cancelled also. Hoping to book something with the 125% deposit but may hold off until stuff is a bit more settled.

 

That said, maybe the cancellation was somewhat lucky - our puppy is turning up on Thursday so our time will be spent puppy training!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2020 at 8:50 PM, Host Hattie said:

We're recording Van der Valk as well, let me know what you think.


Just watched it. It grew on me - I quite liked Marc Warren as Van der Valk. I don’t know the original well enough to compare the two but the Dutch scenery made a change from the Cornish & Norwegian vistas I’ve been enjoying recently in my TV viewing! The story was well paced and whilst I don’t think the show is going to win any awards, it was a good diversion for 90 minutes during these strange times. 

 


 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

How exciting, what sort of puppy ?

 

A Cardigan Corgi (my wife had one when she was a child, and I grew up in Cardiff so a Welsh breed is a good thing)! Just need to try to find a good kennel for him for our next trip!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning from chilly Maine, where we had record-setting low temperatures yesterday.  We already forget what day of the week it is; now a new challenge.  Is it Spring yet?  I am so confused.

 

A new bakery opened in town just before the order to stay home.  Rotten timing, I thought, but their curbside pickup business is booming, and they just expanded service to a 3rd day of the week.  Later today I will collect 1 loaf of caraway rye and 1 loaf of cinnamon raisin.  I wish all small businesses could find their way to a similar level of success while they wait to reopen. 

 

After that a run to the grocery store.  Taking my warm coat to wear while I wait outside to enter.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Ynox thanks, I've learnt something today, I didn't realise there were different types of corgis. They look like characters.

@IB2 great photo.

I'm more of a cat person, today's mood is more like Biggles this morning.

Mr HH didn't get the job & I woke up at 4am (I'm usually a pretty good sleeper) & couldn't get back to sleep. 

IMG_20200427_123133.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

@Ynox thanks, I've learnt something today, I didn't realise there were different types of corgis. They look like characters.

@IB2 great photo.

I'm more of a cat person, today's mood is more like Biggles this morning.

Mr HH didn't get the job & I woke up at 4am (I'm usually a pretty good sleeper) & couldn't get back to sleep. 

IMG_20200427_123133.jpg

Biggles is a tortoiseshell?  We now haveour 3rd tortie, Madeline.  "Twelve little girls in 2 straight lines... the smallest one was Madeline."

 

Wishing Mr HH better luck next time.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

@Ynox thanks, I've learnt something today, I didn't realise there were different types of corgis. They look like characters.

@IB2 great photo.

I'm more of a cat person, today's mood is more like Biggles this morning.

Mr HH didn't get the job & I woke up at 4am (I'm usually a pretty good sleeper) & couldn't get back to sleep. 

IMG_20200427_123133.jpg

So sleepy. Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Biggles is a tortoiseshell?  We now haveour 3rd tortie, Madeline.  "Twelve little girls in 2 straight lines... the smallest one was Madeline."

 

Wishing Mr HH better luck next time.

Oh, duh.  He has his paw over his face.  All black.  Adorable.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Oh, duh.  He has his paw over his face.  All black.  Adorable.

 

I did wonder how he'd turned out tortoiseshell in the photo, apart from a couple of white hairs in his chest, he's all black !

Thanks for the good luck for Mr HH, it's not a great time to be job hunting .....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, alc13 said:

Good morning from chilly Maine, where we had record-setting low temperatures yesterday.  We already forget what day of the week it is; now a new challenge.  Is it Spring yet?  I am so confused.

 

A new bakery opened in town just before the order to stay home.  Rotten timing, I thought, but their curbside pickup business is booming, and they just expanded service to a 3rd day of the week.  Later today I will collect 1 loaf of caraway rye and 1 loaf of cinnamon raisin.  I wish all small businesses could find their way to a similar level of success while they wait to reopen. 

 

After that a run to the grocery store.  Taking my warm coat to wear while I wait outside to enter.

 

 


Thank you for your post alc13 - it reminded me to check whether the fantastic independent bakery we use had posted any updates on its social media about re-opening as it had closed just after the UK lockdown. The good new is that it is open again from Saturday!! So pleased - something to look forward to this weekend. 😊 

 

I hope you are enjoying your purchases - freshly baked, high quality bread is one of life’s simple but great pleasures. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well some good news. In Texas, the governor has announced that more stores can open Friday, 1st May, including restaurants for actual indoor customers as long as they are social distancing and at 25% of occupancy (the max number set by the fire departments). Barbers are still closed until 18th May. It is a start. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Kynance said:


Thank you for your post alc13 - it reminded me to check whether the fantastic independent bakery we use had posted any updates on its social media about re-opening as it had closed just after the UK lockdown. The good new is that it is open again from Saturday!! So pleased - something to look forward to this weekend. 😊 

 

I hope you are enjoying your purchases - freshly baked, high quality bread is one of life’s simple but great pleasures. 

 

The virus has actually led to us discovering a lovely independent bakery here. We found it on one of our walks. There was a queue outside but the smell  coming out made us join it. What a discovery! We now arrange our walks to go past every few days. I really love freshly baked bread. It is causing my diet a lot of problems 😁

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hattie, what a lovely cat you have. We are also cat people. We have Jazz, a big black and white cat, and Biscuit, who is ginger and white. They are three year old brothers. Our previous cat, Midnight, was all black. She lived to be over 18 years old.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't all the details but it looks as if things are going to be open here from 11th May. Not bars and restaurants.

 

I have become a sloth so will need to force myself to move out of the house and actually do something. Ooh. Spending money😁😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love the pictures of the cats thanks for posting. Biggles is our mini panther !

We watched Van der Valk last night, I liked it but what have they done to the theme tune ?!

Back to site tomorrow, I have a couple of union meetings via Zoom & we're not allowed to use Zoom on our work's computers so they might be tricky.

Hope the lifting of lockdown is successful where it's happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, the lockdown lifting has to be done carefully and there are lots of unknowns.  I'm afraid we're all somewhat guinea pigs here.  Personal discretion advised.

 

In other news, the UK's National Theater - sorry, Theatre - Live is broadcasting Frankenstein today.  Showtime is 2pm here in Maine.  Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller play the creature and doctor, respectively, and then tomorrow they switch roles and do it again.  How fun!  I will be watching for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Love the pictures of the cats thanks for posting. Biggles is our mini panther 

 

Managed to get a picture of my two together. Jazz does like a box! Not sure why my address concealing blob came out bright yellow!!

20200430_123759.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loving all the cat photos at the moment - keep them coming. 😃🐈

 

I was slightly cheered by the PM’s press briefing today and the promise of details next week about the strategy for moving on from the current lockdown. I think we are more prepared to put up with restrictions if we know how they might be eased. The PM also confirmed that the UK is through the peak of infections. 
 

Today I was due to get my haircut - my hairdresser texted me last Saturday to re-book me for 4 June - yikes! I can definitely last a couple more weeks but after that it’s a bit of an unknown quantity. However, I am determined to wait and not give in to temptation to try to do it myself - even a much grown-out version of a proper salon cut is going to be better than my efforts, especially as my hair is layered. Patience is a virtue!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I managed the zoom meetings on my phone, we had a few problems with the technology but it was good to see people's dogs, children and living rooms ! Also interesting to hear how other companies are dealing with furlough or trying to carry on in the circumstances.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...