Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

21 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I'm venturing out of Wales for the first time tomorrow since March 2020. It seemed a good idea when I made the arrangements a few weeks ago but now I'm not so sure !

I'm meeting 2 friends from school for dinner at The Cinnamon Club in Westminster tomorrow night and then a group of 6 of us are meeting for lunch near Piccadilly Circus on Saturday.

Enjoy Hattie. We had 4 days in London last September, inbetween lockdowns and loved it. Much quieter but many places were open. Felt very safe. We even got to the theatre - Sleepless the Musical, one of the very few shows that was on. 

On 6/1/2021 at 4:57 PM, Lanky Lad said:

Thanks Bigmike I hope I don't feel as ill as I did after my first one. Even if I do, it will be worth it.

LL Did you survive your second Jab? I hope it was less impactful than your first. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Thanks @Kynance@elmsliebev, I'm at the station, I managed to get a cheap upgrade to first class so hopefully that will help with the journey !

Enjoy your trip Host Hattie. Enjoy first class!

I would also love to hear how it is as we will be travelling to London for a couple of nights in July. Our first time since 2019. We have a couple of Afternoon Tea vouchers that need using before they go out of date 😀. I must admit I feel a little anxious about it but, hopefully, all will be well once we are there. 

In the meantime, we are off to Cornwall for a week next Thursday. That will be by far the furthest we will have been since Feb 2020.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I got my second vaccine this morning. Very efficient, I was in and out in less that 15 minutes. My arm is a bit sore but other than that, I am feeling fine.

That was my experience with my second. My arm was more sore than the first time. Of course, it could be the nurse, or the Patient. We went to dinner indoors in Texas, un masked. All of the other diners and most of the staff had no masks, so it's beginning to feel like 'normal"

19 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

That was my experience with my second. My arm was more sore than the first time. Of course, it could be the nurse, or the Patient. We went to dinner indoors in Texas, un masked. All of the other diners and most of the staff had no masks, so it's beginning to feel like 'normal"

I can't blame the staff for my sore arm, she was very gentle (unlike the first one). It's not looking good for the lifting of restrictions here but better safe than sorry.  I am happier now that I have had my second dose or I will be this time next week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lanky Lad said:

I can't blame the staff for my sore arm, she was very gentle (unlike the first one). It's not looking good for the lifting of restrictions here but better safe than sorry.  I am happier now that I have had my second dose or I will be this time next week.

Yes and you know that you are personally safer, and can relax a bit. That was the biggest relief for me. Even if not every one is vaccinated, you are and from that perspective you can go about your business feeling better. 

Posted (edited)

I think I was as excited to get my jabs, especially the second one, as I have been for some cruises…. And today I got paid $50 for being vaccinated.  My secondary insurance has a wellness program, and you do some things to put cash on your wellness card that can be used for insurance copays.  I uploaded my card into their app, and voila!  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 2

I had a great catch up with friends in London. I travelled First Class is in both directions and the carriages only had a handful of other people except when a group of young people got on in Cardiff. The train manager gave them the opportunity to pay the first class fare and ushered them out when they declined. He stood guard at the door !

I stayed at the hotel at Paddington Station and travelled around mostly by bus. We had 2 great meals inside at The Cinnamon Club and outside at Ham Yard Hotel.

Some of the staff were wearing visors rather than face masks which did make me feel a bit twitchy and a few were moving masks away from their nose and mouth to speak which really did make me wonder.

Generally things were uncrowded although both restaurants were full. I was feeling a bit anxious on Friday morning but I'm very glad I went.

IMG_20210612_113358732_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210612_114721703_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210611_191149327_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

@Host Hattie - glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to London & thanks for reporting back. 

It was too warm for me to do much this weekend so I largely spent it pottering in the garden and reading. I seem to be having some success with last year’s non-flowering agapanthus, a number of which are going to produce flowers for me. I’m so glad I didn’t get rid of them - maybe it was the threat of a visit to the garden waste bin which spurred them on! 

• Like 2

It would appear that we have entered true summer here in south east Texas. Temps in the 90sf, dew point in the 70s. The good news is the pool is warm enough for my old bones to enjoy. 

Strong thunderstorms tend to occur at this time of year when the warm moist air from the Gulf of Mexico collides with a dry front from the north or west. Yesterday we had one with strong wind as well with leaves falling and pine needles raining down. 

Last night about 8:30 my UPS unit that powers my computer and office equipment started chattering indicating it was providing power, and that house power was switched to back up.

I went to the door and heard my backup generator running and went around to reset the clocks that go bonkers at the slightest interruption of power. I have UPS units on the television and satellite receivers so they don't have to go through a restart when power goes out and comes back on.

The power delivery company sent an automated message to my phone saying that power would be back on by 9:30, but when I went to bet at 11 it was still off. 

I learned years ago that one of the best investments a home owner can make in this region is a 20 KW back up generator powered by natural gas. It got me through the ice storm earlier this year, and will no doubt be useful for storms or hurricanes this summer.  Its big enough to power the house including the central air conditioning. 

That is about all the excitement I have had in my life recently. 

20 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

It would appear that we have entered true summer here in south east Texas. Temps in the 90sf, dew point in the 70s. The good news is the pool is warm enough for my old bones to enjoy. 

Strong thunderstorms tend to occur at this time of year when the warm moist air from the Gulf of Mexico collides with a dry front from the north or west. Yesterday we had one with strong wind as well with leaves falling and pine needles raining down. 

Last night about 8:30 my UPS unit that powers my computer and office equipment started chattering indicating it was providing power, and that house power was switched to back up.

I went to the door and heard my backup generator running and went around to reset the clocks that go bonkers at the slightest interruption of power. I have UPS units on the television and satellite receivers so they don't have to go through a restart when power goes out and comes back on.

The power delivery company sent an automated message to my phone saying that power would be back on by 9:30, but when I went to bet at 11 it was still off. 

I learned years ago that one of the best investments a home owner can make in this region is a 20 KW back up generator powered by natural gas. It got me through the ice storm earlier this year, and will no doubt be useful for storms or hurricanes this summer.  Its big enough to power the house including the central air conditioning. 

20 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

The news reported that Texas’ electrical supply company ERCOT has many problems. They predicted that there will be many outages in Texas over the next hot summer months. Good thing you have a generator.

41 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

The news reported that Texas’ electrical supply company ERCOT has many problems. They predicted that there will be many outages in Texas over the next hot summer months. Good thing you have a generator.

It's not only ERCOT, which is essentially a middle man for the Retailers, Generators and Deliverers. There is a serious imbalance in generation with the green energy generators which are incentivized and the fossil fuel/ nuclear generators which are not.  It's the wind, the falling tree limbs and crazy drivers, who take out power poles from time to time. Life on the Frontier is never easy. 

We are heading to Miami for a quick break. We were supposed to be on a 3 day getaway cruise in 2020, and then again this year, on another line for a relative’s wedding. Our hotel wouldn’t cancel for the second time so we’ll go and enjoy ourselves. 

It’s supposed to rain (shocking!) but that’s fine unless it is pouring when we reach Alligator Alley- narrow road, low visibility, tourists, ALLIGATORS. Glad I checked the weather, though, as we were going to ride our motorcycles.

Next year the couple will get married, whether the cruise goes or not…so they tell me. 

Posted (edited)

I have taken the plunge and booked QE for 24th September to 1st October this year. This is half the length of the QV trip that was cancelled, but finishes on the same date so I don't need to change my already booked days off from work. 

Edited by Lanky Lad
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

I have taken the plunge and booked QE for 24th September to 1st October this year. This is half the length of the QV trip that was cancelled, but finishes on the same date so I don't need to change my already booked days off from work. 

Good for you LL. I am keeping my fingers crossed that you will be able to go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

Good for you LL. I am keeping my fingers crossed that you will be able to go. 

Thanks, I can't wait to be on a Cunard ship again.  A trip to nowhere just follow the better weather assuming there is some.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tonopah said:

We are heading to Miami for a quick break. We were supposed to be on a 3 day getaway cruise in 2020, and then again this year, on another line for a relative’s wedding. Our hotel wouldn’t cancel for the second time so we’ll go and enjoy ourselves. 

It’s supposed to rain (shocking!) but that’s fine unless it is pouring when we reach Alligator Alley- narrow road, low visibility, tourists, ALLIGATORS. Glad I checked the weather, though, as we were going to ride our motorcycles.

Next year the couple will get married, whether the cruise goes or not…so they tell me. 

I assume you are talking about the REAL Alligator Alley - US 41, and not that I-75 chicken run.

20 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I assume you are talking about the REAL Alligator Alley - US 41, and not that I-75 chicken run.

Oh, yeah - the real one with the tiny shoulders that drop straight into the ditches full of reptiles, narrow lanes where it’s hard to pass the RVs, and perennial road work. We rode our motorcycles down two Novembers ago and it was lovely.

• Like 1

All is well from Central Florida.

Our area where we live has done very well with vaccination rates... I know that Florida gets a very bad reputation sometimes (some of it deserved), but I can honestly say that people have done quite well where I live. We do have big swings of vaccination rates in some areas of Florida... some places are doing better than others... but things continue to improve.

The tourists have definitely returned here in Orlando- it is very busy... and so, I do think that many people who live here want to not only go back to work but to also do so safely since we are such a bustling tourist town. I think that has helped our vaccination rate here (because so many people who live in my area work at the theme parks or in hospitality)

In my little world we continue to try to be safe and conscientious... We also stay on top of the news regarding travel/restrictions. This summer, we will again stay close to home, doing more nature and outdoorsy things on our time off... BUT we want to plan for the future... so we read the news and hope for next summer to have more of our typical travel adventures.

Still no travel booked here, I do quite fancy the idea of a Caribbean round trip on QM2 next Spring though.

Mr HH is back at work and the first guests are in our Holiday let. 🤞

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Still no travel booked here, I do quite fancy the idea of a Caribbean round trip on QM2 next Spring though.

Mr HH is back at work and the first guests are in our Holiday let. 🤞

I don’t think QM2 sails to the Caribbean in the Spring - she regularly goes in November and then over Christmas and the New Year - Southampton to Southampton via New York both ways.  We did it NY-NY December-2019 to January 2020 —12 days -sharing a table with several Brits doing the 26 day  Southampton RT.