Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

23 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

I am sorry to read @bluemarble about your trip plans being thwarted. We will all look forward to hearing how your alternative plans turn out.

Hello all from Central FL.

We received our booster shots a few weeks ago. So that is good. Plus the performing arts are finding avenues to come back. So that is good for our business. We are seeing some light, for sure!

We still have our short cruise planned on another line for the new year… looking forward to it.
Unfortunately we did cancel our Cunard voyage for 2022… and we did not make the decision lightly. It’s a big anniversary trip… and frankly we just are wanting to be able to enjoy planning our anniversary trip instead of worrying. If our plans had been just a Cunard cruise with ports… then it would have been fine. We would have just figured out the protocols and done them. BUT… our grand plan had been cross on Cunard (on the QE transatlantic from FL with ports in Bermuda, Funchal, Cadiz, and then to Barcelona) and then trek around the continent (as we have done before in our travels… hopping from country to country).
I hope that things will eventually return to our grand wanderlust being fulfilled again… but there are just still too many variables from country to country… it just does not give us confidence.

So… we sat down last weekend and had a heart to heart about it all.

We decided to do a road trip here in the states instead for our anniversary (seeing some of the National Parks we have not seen yet)… and to promise ourselves that we owe ourselves a Cunard voyage down the line.

I cannot wait until the world rights itself more and we can join another beloved Cunard voyage with ease… I have a gorgeous icy silver gown I bought for our pandemic-cancelled Cunard to Alaska 2020 voyage… it is screaming in the closet to me that it must be worn one day!!!!

We are probably on the Cunard cruise that you cancelled. Is it the Aug. TA cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona? We plan to cruise for 27 days returning from Barcelona beginning of Sept. Friends of ours will also be joining us so I hope it is a go. Final payment is not due till April, so I feel we should have a good feel about how things are by  then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Will Biggles be blogging the trip?

If he did there would be lots of complaining about not being able to leave the house unaccompanied ! He's an accomplished hunter and isn't very happy about having his freedom restricted.

On the other hand he doesn't have to share a sofa

IMG_20211112_172852804.jpg

• Like 4

Ovation of the Seas appears to be “parked” for a long time at a pier in Seattle. There was no sign of life on it yesterday and it looks like her cruise to Hawaii was cancelled. I will be looking to find out if it can be connected to power. We sure don’t need smoke spewing from her for months.                                                                                  

23 minutes ago, techteach said:

Ovation of the Seas appears to be “parked” for a long time at a pier in Seattle. There was no sign of life on it yesterday and it looks like her cruise to Hawaii was cancelled. I will be looking to find out if it can be connected to power. We sure don’t need smoke spewing from her for months.

I'm seeing Ovation of the Seas left Seattle last evening and has moved on to Port Angeles today. Her Australia season was canceled in October and it doesn't look like she's scheduled to resume cruising until May for her 2022 Alaska season. I suspect you'll be seeing her in and out of Seattle over the winter months, perhaps similar to how the Cunard ships have been in and out of Southampton during their layups off Weymouth and Torquay. That's my take on what might be going on with Ovation anyway.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 12:02 PM, bluemarble said:

Plan B is probably to see what Viking might offer as an alternative. Perhaps they will offer Pacific coastal cruises as some of the other lines are doing in place of their canceled Hawaii cruises.

On 11/11/2021 at 12:06 PM, Host Hattie said:

🤞one of the alternatives works out, I was looking forward to hearing about Viking so I'm hoping for Plan B.

Just got a sneak peak at the replacement cruise for our Viking Orion "Hawaiian Islands Sojourn" Christmas cruise thanks to a sleuth over on the Viking board. It's now going to be a "Mexican Rivera Sojourn" with calls at Pichilingue (La Paz), Mazatlán, an overnight in Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo and an overnight (New Years Eve) in Cabo San Lucas.

This doesn't offer the comfort level of the (almost all US) itinerary to Hawaii. But we've never been to any of those ports in Mexico, so we are giving Plan B some serious consideration.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 11:58 PM, Host Hattie said:

If he did there would be lots of complaining about not being able to leave the house unaccompanied ! He's an accomplished hunter and isn't very happy about having his freedom restricted.

On the other hand he doesn't have to share a sofa

IMG_20211112_172852804.jpg

Biggles is stunning. Can't understand how some folk regard black cats as evil or unlucky.

Carmel (siamese) and Hazel's last road trip was a 1,239 mile drive taking 18 hours over 2 days with a hotel stopover, to move from Scotland to the French Riviera 5 and a half years ago. Carmel cried so much on day 1 that she lost her voice with a sore throat on day 2. The vet is only a 5 minute walk from us so that's the limit of their annual excursion now. In hindsight they think the trip was worth it, as the climate here suits them so much better than Scotland!

IMG_20210814_101612031[1].jpg

Edited by D&N
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, D&N said:

Biggles is stunning. Can't understand how some folk regard black cats as evil or unlucky.

Carmel (siamese) and Hazel's last road trip was a 1,239 mile drive taking 18 hours over 2 days with a hotel stopover, to move from Scotland to the French Riviera 5 and a half years ago. Carmel cried so much on day 1 that she lost her voice with a sore throat on day 2. The vet is only a 5 minute walk from us so that's the limit of their annual excursion now. In hindsight they think the trip was worth it, as the climate here suits them so much better than Scotland!

IMG_20210814_101612031[1].jpg

Wow that was quite some road trip ! Biggles was very noisy on the way home so I was grateful for separate cars !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Fall has finally come to Connecticut — weeks later than usual due to prolonged warm weather.  I hope we do not pay for it with an unusually cold, snowy Winter.

DE503A59-ACD4-4F55-8025-AF80AF3EB699.jpeg

I am trying to work out if this picture is upside down or a reflection in water.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

I am trying to work out if this picture is upside down or a reflection in water.

I was wondering the same thing. I contemplated making a comment about hoping that fall coming to Connecticut hadn't made everything "fall over" there. I managed to resist that temptation until now. 😀

• Haha 1

My social media memories tell me that 2 years ago today we were on QM2 for a short trip to Zeebrugge. I didn't expect it to be so long until we were back.

In other news our booster appointments arrived today so that's a relief.

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

My social media memories tell me that 2 years ago today we were on QM2 for a short trip to Zeebrugge. I didn't expect it to be so long until we were back.

Ah, yes. That short break in Zeebrugge two years ago (as part of a 16-night round trip from New York) was my last time on QM2 as well. More than two years is far too long to be away from QM2!

I've clearly been suffering withdrawal symptoms. Participating in the "Where in the World?" thread had been keeping those symptoms under control this past year, but now I fear the only effective treatment is going to be to book another QM2 voyage. 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I have just booked my Covid booster for December managed to get it as close to 6 months after my 2nd as possible.

Had mine at the weekend. It's suggested 6 months and one week after second one.

Had Pfizer this time instead of AZ and also had flu jab in the other arm at the same time.

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I was wondering the same thing. I contemplated making a comment about hoping that fall coming to Connecticut hadn't made everything "fall over" there. I managed to resist that temptation until now. 😀

No - most Connecticut trees grow upwards - some glitch in capturing it from file.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:48 PM, bluemarble said:

Just got a sneak peak at the replacement cruise for our Viking Orion "Hawaiian Islands Sojourn" Christmas cruise thanks to a sleuth over on the Viking board. It's now going to be a "Mexican Rivera Sojourn" with calls at Pichilingue (La Paz), Mazatlán, an overnight in Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo and an overnight (New Years Eve) in Cabo San Lucas.

This doesn't offer the comfort level of the (almost all US) itinerary to Hawaii. But we've never been to any of those ports in Mexico, so we are giving Plan B some serious consideration.

We got the official word Tuesday afternoon from Viking that our Viking Orion Christmas cruise is indeed going to be a "Mexican Riviera Sojourn" instead of the original itinerary to Hawaii. They've sweetened the pot with some additional OBC to keep the booking. We may have to work at it to use all the OBC we'll have, including what we originally received from the travel agent, but that's definitely the right kind of problem to have! We are now "go" with this Plan B to Mexico on Viking.

• Like 4

Winter is no longer coming, it has arrived here in Maine.  It's cold at night!   Good time to plan travel...  Our April 2021 QE Japan cruise was canceled, so we found another nice itinerary for next May and booked it.  Not Cunard this time.  We'll see how they stack up.  We still have some unused FCC and I will have fun looking for a way to spend it.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 5:52 PM, Host Hattie said:

Update to this, Mr HH won't be making his booster appointment as he has Covid 😿.

I'm still hoping to have mine on Sunday as long as I don't develop it in the meantime.

19 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Update to this, Mr HH won't be making his booster appointment as he has Covid 😿.

I'm still hoping to have mine on Sunday as long as I don't develop it in the meantime.

Oh dear.... the outlook for previously vaccinated people is so good, though. 

Good luck to the HH household!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Bad luck - but having basic shots should mean moderate impact.   I am starting to feel annual boosters will be part of routine, much like flu shots now; since it seems mankind has missed whatever opportunity to stamp out COVID might have existed.

• Thanks 1