Jump to content
,

Norwegian Cruisers -- How are things where YOU live?


CCHelp
 Share

Recommended Posts

We are from Montreal where we are now orange colour ...red being the worse .Since they reopened  restaurants and bars covid  numbers have been  going up .Our family has survived  the lock down and isolation period by finding places inthe country for family picnics ..Most of the summer we were lucky enough to find a lovely park  near water for bbqs .....we wore masks , sanitized hands , kept away from everyone .

there are no fun activities available ...no movies , no restaurants ...too risky indoors ..no religious services ...seeing  friends is a nono Social distancing is strictly enforced ...yet our numbers keep rising as mostly young people are daring to go out to bars , karaoke etc which then raises numbers .

i was booked for a transat cruise in nov which was cancelled ...no plans for anytime soon ....i love cruising ..i hate not having something to look forward to ...that is thehardest ...no light at the end of this tunnel 

we get conflicting info constantly ...yes we are getting a vaccine ...no this thing will last 4 years ....our border is shut ..no travels anywhere 

i worry we will be intotal lockdown soon ....streets become deserted , nothing open ..feels like a war and very very depressing ....
i.m not sure where we are headed butsadly it looks grim with rumors of this second wave being a mutant of the first ....I just pray no one in myfamily or that I know will get sick ...I just wish scientists  would really worktogether to find a cure or remedy to make this virus  less virulent and worrisome .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel as though there has been no real progress here. Feels like "6 months closer, 6 months further away" as I wrote in one of my new songs. I go to a park to walk- and then see 12-15 kids running together standing and not wearing masks.

Someone on skates without a mask yelling at a biker for no bikes on a walking track.... etc...

 

My existence before this was taking trains/buses to concerts, baseball, plays, either Phil or NYC and that is gone for now.

I feel as though people around here have fatigue and are lacking discpiline. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People are generally doing a great job being safe and wearing masks where I live, but the economic toll has been tremendous. Near my office in downtown DC, it's like a ghost town: shuttered businesses everywhere, plywood over the windows, nary a car on the streets. It's very gloomy here. I understand the need for safety but the mayor overreacted and I think it'll take a year or more for the economy to recover.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the U.K. things seem to be getting worse, the infection rate and deaths are rising slowly, some towns and cities in lockdown, masks are compulsory in retail and transport, restaurants and pubs are table service only, to enter you have to be wearing a mask until seated, and also using the toilets.

Weddings are fifteen people, funerals are thirty, no groups of people above six out or in home environment, massive fines.

Very gloomy 😞 

House sales are booming 

Car sales are booming 

All people able to work from home are

Doesn’t seem to be no shortage of money about, although cash is banned in most establishments.

Never seen better gardens ever?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Trimone said:

In the U.K. things seem to be getting worse, the infection rate and deaths are rising slowly, some towns and cities in lockdown, masks are compulsory in retail and transport, restaurants and pubs are table service only, to enter you have to be wearing a mask until seated, and also using the toilets.

Weddings are fifteen people, funerals are thirty, no groups of people above six out or in home environment, massive fines.

Very gloomy 😞 

House sales are booming 

Car sales are booming 

All people able to work from home are

Doesn’t seem to be no shortage of money about, although cash is banned in most establishments.

Never seen better gardens ever?

 

 

I'm sorry to hear that. I love the U.K. and have been there many times.

 

Take care.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ireland is going to level 3 lockdown nationwide at midnight tonight. The Irish government introduced a 5 level “living with covid-19” plan at the end of the summer. 
Level 5 is full on lockdown like we had in April, and May. We were at level 2 which had no distance restrictions and just social distancing/mask wearing along with limits on numbers of people at gatherings. Dublin and Co. Donegal went to Level 3 a few weeks ago as their rates of new cases skyrocketed when the schools reopened. 
At level 3 we’re restricted to our own counties except for medical/ work or other essential excuse. Indoor sports/activities are now basically banned and non-elite sports are severely limited in numbers that can train together.

There’s been a positive test amongst the management for the Irish soccer men’s squad, a few positives in the Irish semi-pro soccer club, and one in the rugby team I support. All sports are going back behind closed doors for events. 
The official line at the moment is level 3 will be in-place for 4 weeks, the national public health emergency team (nphet) had recommended we go to level 5 but the government decided to go level 3 due to the potential economic impact and mental health implications. However if the case numbers don’t start decreasing we could very quickly wind up back at a level 5 again. 
I live and work in county Clare which is in the middle of the west coast in Ireland, we had a customer in the shop today from Kerry buying a wetsuit for use in January because he was worried he wouldn’t be able to leave that county again until after he’d need that wetsuit.

There was another customer in from co. Meath who had the day off work and decided to hit the road as he’d be landlocked from tonight so he wanted to get a dose of fresh sea air before going home. 
The health service here are praying the flu numbers this winter will be significantly lower than normal as they fear flu + covid will just completely overwhelm their capacity. One of my cousins is flat refusing to return to the office for her work as she’s been hospitalised with her asthma in the past so she’s insisting on working from home. Luckily she can work remotely as she’s a graphic designer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, eileeshb said:

Ireland is going to level 3 lockdown nationwide at midnight tonight. The Irish government introduced a 5 level “living with covid-19” plan at the end of the summer. 
Level 5 is full on lockdown like we had in April, and May. We were at level 2 which had no distance restrictions and just social distancing/mask wearing along with limits on numbers of people at gatherings. Dublin and Co. Donegal went to Level 3 a few weeks ago as their rates of new cases skyrocketed when the schools reopened. 
At level 3 we’re restricted to our own counties except for medical/ work or other essential excuse. Indoor sports/activities are now basically banned and non-elite sports are severely limited in numbers that can train together.

There’s been a positive test amongst the management for the Irish soccer men’s squad, a few positives in the Irish semi-pro soccer club, and one in the rugby team I support. All sports are going back behind closed doors for events. 
The official line at the moment is level 3 will be in-place for 4 weeks, the national public health emergency team (nphet) had recommended we go to level 5 but the government decided to go level 3 due to the potential economic impact and mental health implications. However if the case numbers don’t start decreasing we could very quickly wind up back at a level 5 again. 
I live and work in county Clare which is in the middle of the west coast in Ireland, we had a customer in the shop today from Kerry buying a wetsuit for use in January because he was worried he wouldn’t be able to leave that county again until after he’d need that wetsuit.

There was another customer in from co. Meath who had the day off work and decided to hit the road as he’d be landlocked from tonight so he wanted to get a dose of fresh sea air before going home. 
The health service here are praying the flu numbers this winter will be significantly lower than normal as they fear flu + covid will just completely overwhelm their capacity. One of my cousins is flat refusing to return to the office for her work as she’s been hospitalised with her asthma in the past so she’s insisting on working from home. Luckily she can work remotely as she’s a graphic designer.

It seems a lifetime away from this time last year we were at Ploughing, staying in Wexford, must have been the hottest festival for years, I hope the great people of Ireland are staying safe, and hope to be back for Ploughing next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi - Cape Town South Africa. Although our numbers are going down it is generally accepted we are two months behind Europe and North America. We are expecting a second wave in December if the patterns hold true. 

What has been vastly different in South Africa is we were one of the first to have a very hard and harsh lockdown (March 2020). Some argue we had the harshest with a ban on sales of alcohol and cigarettes for three months. Since that has gradually relaxed we still have residual habits from the severity of the initial hard lockdown. To this end masks and sanitizer has been strictly enforced in commercial and government environs. Less so in residential areas, especially in areas where money is tight. 

Now our conversations have changed from when to open our economy to how. Our International borders are open but the logistical nightmare to re-evaluate all incoming visitors based on criteria that changes daily is a huge challenge on our bureaucrats. 

Cruise season starts in November and the hope is this will all be ironed out by then. And then we have to hope a second wave does not materialize to maintain a cruise season through the Christmas season. 

So in a nutshell we are reducing our numbers and have been declared safe and sanitary to visit, for now. How and who to allow back in is anyone's guess. And will we keep moving forward or go two steps forward to take five steps back. 

Hope that helps anyone interested in Sunny South Africa at the bottom of Amazingly mighty Africa. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2020 at 8:14 PM, briansnel said:

Hi - Cape Town South Africa. Although our numbers are going down it is generally accepted we are two months behind Europe and North America. We are expecting a second wave in December if the patterns hold true. 

What has been vastly different in South Africa is we were one of the first to have a very hard and harsh lockdown (March 2020). Some argue we had the harshest with a ban on sales of alcohol and cigarettes for three months. Since that has gradually relaxed we still have residual habits from the severity of the initial hard lockdown. To this end masks and sanitizer has been strictly enforced in commercial and government environs. Less so in residential areas, especially in areas where money is tight. 

Now our conversations have changed from when to open our economy to how. Our International borders are open but the logistical nightmare to re-evaluate all incoming visitors based on criteria that changes daily is a huge challenge on our bureaucrats. 

Cruise season starts in November and the hope is this will all be ironed out by then. And then we have to hope a second wave does not materialize to maintain a cruise season through the Christmas season. 

So in a nutshell we are reducing our numbers and have been declared safe and sanitary to visit, for now. How and who to allow back in is anyone's guess. And will we keep moving forward or go two steps forward to take five steps back. 

Hope that helps anyone interested in Sunny South Africa at the bottom of Amazingly mighty Africa. 


hope things stay well down there, my local rugby team has a strong South African flavour, a few of them managed to get home when the rugby matches here were suspended and before SA closed the borders. Of course it then delayed them getting back to Ireland when training resumed but they all made it in time for the resumption of matches. There’s been some discussion about banning the sale of alcohol here, they’ve already reduced the hours for pubs and restaurants under the level 3 restrictions. I’m sure you could image how a ban on alcohol would go over in Ireland! You don’t want to see what happens before good Friday and Xmas when the pubs close, the off-licenses and supermarkets get flooded with people stocking up before they close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am in Colorado and things are OK as far as infection rates go, many places have closed and many people in the service industries have had hours reduced.   We did go out to dinner last night and ate outside, food was very good and provided a nice tip to waitress, I know that business has been down so she has to be making a lot less than in the past.

 

I am very fortunate in that my wife and I both have "essential" jobs I have been working full time since this started, my wife has been working from home for about 6 months and is starting to really like it.  She does have to take a certain numbers of days off before the end of the year due to city budget issues.  We have cancelled 2 cruises and one regular vacation we had planned.

 

My work was at 50% staffing but recently has gone to 100, we are supposed to wear masks at our desks, I tend to eat and drink all day long so usually have my mask off unless I am near someone.  My desk is about 8 from the next person.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I work retail management and just recently the county health dept did secret or surprise walk of the mall where I am located. Unfortunately many stores were caught not enforcing the state and county mandate for wearing masks and they were given hefty fines. My company and my management team is extremely strict with the policy. We deny entrance to anyone not wearing a mask, even if it’s for a medical reason as we offer everything online and that’s the only ADAA requirement we have to follow. It hasn’t hurt our business at all and we are actually beating our Last year numbers and exceeding all goals. Our county is seeing a rise in cases unfortunately and I think it’s due in part to fatigue. I even catch myself thinking “what the hell” sometimes but my husband quickly reigns me in. The rainy season has started here in the Pacific Northwest so it will be interesting to see what happens now that people aren’t recreating outdoors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sweetnspicy said:

I work retail management and just recently the county health dept did secret or surprise walk of the mall where I am located. Unfortunately many stores were caught not enforcing the state and county mandate for wearing masks and they were given hefty fines. My company and my management team is extremely strict with the policy. We deny entrance to anyone not wearing a mask, even if it’s for a medical reason as we offer everything online and that’s the only ADAA requirement we have to follow. It hasn’t hurt our business at all and we are actually beating our Last year numbers and exceeding all goals. Our county is seeing a rise in cases unfortunately and I think it’s due in part to fatigue. I even catch myself thinking “what the hell” sometimes but my husband quickly reigns me in. The rainy season has started here in the Pacific Northwest so it will be interesting to see what happens now that people aren’t recreating outdoors. 

I am sorry to hear this about Seattle. Our Seattle daughter and family have been with us since the beginning of September and plan to return to Seattle the end of October.  We are in north San Diego County, an area with low Covid-19 cases and as we always wear masks when we go out and do not go out much,  their visit with us has been great. The school from home with two grandchildren and daughter and son in law working from our home has gone well, we have been hopeful that Seattle numbers would allow Seattle schools to re-open in some manner.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

I am sorry to hear this about Seattle. Our Seattle daughter and family have been with us since the beginning of September and plan to return to Seattle the end of October.  We are in north San Diego County, an area with low Covid-19 cases and as we always wear masks when we go out and do not go out much,  their visit with us has been great. The school from home with two grandchildren and daughter and son in law working from our home has gone well, we have been hopeful that Seattle numbers would allow Seattle schools to re-open in some manner.  

Some schools are going to try and open with just kindergarten through 3rd grade in our area. Your family should check their local school district for more info. I don’t have children but I wouldn’t send them to in person school if I could help it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Sweetnspicy said:

Some schools are going to try and open with just kindergarten through 3rd grade in our area. Your family should check their local school district for more info. I don’t have children but I wouldn’t send them to in person school if I could help it. 

We agree with you about no school yet but had hoped that Seattle cases had lessened. They are in Seattle Public Schools (Queen Anne area). The online is adequate (I am a retired public school teacher), but this is hard! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

We agree with you about no school yet but had hoped that Seattle cases had lessened. They are in Seattle Public Schools (Queen Anne area). The online is adequate (I am a retired public school teacher), but this is hard! 

I bet it is hard. I’m sure they are so happy to have you to help them! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2020 at 6:37 AM, CCHelp said:

Greetings, NCL Cruisers ~ If an effort to give our members a place where we can discuss how things are where YOU are related to the Coronavirus, hosts are starting these threads so we can chat during the crisis. Let's talk about creative ways our families and neighbors are coping and helping one another out; share ideas for parents who are at home 24/7 with their school age children; you get the idea.....  Our only request is that we AVOID turning this into a political or health debate thread.  This is a stressful time for everyone.  Let's practice some kindness and make Cruise Critic a place members want to visit in this difficult time.

We live on St. Simons Island, Georgia on the coast half way between Savannah and Jacksonville, Fla.

The community had a large upsurge of cases after Memorial Day weekend and Fourth of July weekend.  We had many people from NY and the NE,  none wearing masks while here.  We have recovered from that and our new cases per day are averaging single digits for our county.

Schools reopened with the huge majority of kids in the classroom.  Talking with teachers in my neighborhood, they say that COVID-19 cases have been few among teachers and kids.  In fact, more kids families have elected to send their kids to class instead of virtual.

Testing is easy to get, either our local efficient health department or the local CVS pharmacy.

Most restaurants are now open, with most at 50%, some at 75% and a few still doing just takeout.

Football season is back for College football and the SEC games are awesome.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ireland is now 2 weeks into level 5 (max) lockdown, due to lift at the start of December. Our case numbers had returned to the levels in March and April. The numbers dropped significantly at the weekend but were high again today. The one difference this time is the % of people having to be hospitalised. The schools returned today after mid-term but they had a major oops right before the mid-term break as it emerged the hand sanitizer from one of the approved suppliers was toxic. Some of the schools trying to source an approved replacement weren’t sure they’d have it by this morning. 
Northern Ireland is in an even worse state than us, they locked down a bit earlier but are have proportionally triple the number of cases. One of the main hospitals has had to tell people not to come to their a&e, down south the usual hospitals are back to having capacity issues again with hundreds of patients waiting for spaces in wards. 
for this lockdown they’re trying to keep physical and occupational therapy services going, last time all those services were suspended. 
The differences to this lockdown compared to March are fairly significant, pro/elite sports are continuing behind closed doors, schools are staying open and retailers that sell essential *and* non-essential goods have been forced to block off the parts of the shop with the non-essential items. There’s war over clothing and in particular kids clothing being deemed non-essential. A few shops tried to stay open on the basis that they sell face masks or hand sanitizer but they were told to close fairly rapidly. All retail is allowed online/phone, so retail workers still go to work, but no customers are allowed on the premises. Officially the only retail still open to customers is groceries, medical or diy, everything else is online or over the phone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here in Austin, Texas, COVID-19 cases are increasing again, as they are elsewhere in the U.S.  Evidently, we are in the midst of the third surge in Coronavirus infections and hospitalizations since the beginning of this pandemic.   Our public health and political authorities aren't talking about shutting-down businesses at this time, but they are re-emphasizing the importance of wearing facemasks, washing hands, and maintaining physical distance from other persons.    Our problem seems to be that people are weary of the pandemic, and the seasonal onset of cooler weather is causing many to relax their adherence to the guidelines.      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MSUjohn said:

i caught covid19 for the second time in 6 months.

 

dang.

OMG!  You should be all over the news.  Have only heard of one other person in the U.S. who did so - in Nevada, and 3 in other countries.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/10/12/covid-news-states-set-case-records-nyc-protest-leader-arrested/5966027002/

 

https://www.salon.com/2020/08/26/there-are-now-three-known-cases-of-patients-contracting-covid-19-twice/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, pe4all said:

i am good without being on the news.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope you are all well. I'm in a suburb of NYC. I wear a mask when I'm out and about. Typically I don't wear a mask when I'm cycling alone and away from anyone but I will put on a vented mask when I'm riding near a dense population (ie in Central Park or on on the Tappan Zee bridge path).

I get a CoVid nasal test every 2 or 3 weeks and so far so good (all negative). I got my flu shot this year in September. My next cruise is scheduled for January 2021 but I doubt it will sail in 43 days.

 

Stay well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Experience more Co-op Holidays
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...