Jump to content

Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How are things where YOU are?


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Would you go now?  I don't think we'd chance it until a vaccine is available.

 

No for me anyway.  I am not willing to risk a COVID infection on a cruise ship and/or being stranded at sea, and pay big bucks to cruise with masks and limit my vacation enjoyment.  That is me.  Others will disagree.  My next cruise is not until a year from now and I am hoping that I can enjoy that one - or I will shift it further out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 8:34 PM, fairweather said:

I, too, would like us all to take some time and remember the wonderful crew members from the various ships we  have cruised with through the years. They looked after us and many became our friends.  You wonder how they and their families are faring during this pandemic and lockdown. I worry that they are unemployed and barely making ends meet.

 

I also worry that they will risk their lives again when the ships sail only to see them shut down again due to those who refuse to socially distance or wear masks. It's not just Americans who suffer when others don't care if they live or die...or care if they take the rest of us along with them.

 

Europeans are trying to be civilized. Their reward is to cruising again with safety measures and the joy of knowing you can still have fun with them. We Americans just keep allowing others to make dumb decisions for the rest of us which we all know are wrong on so many levels. I really have no appetite now for sailing with them and ending up on Gilligan's Island where they won't socially distance or wear masks either.

 

I so long to sail again and feel the breeze running through my hair now that it's grown back again after my recent chemo and radiation. But I don't want to die on a Ghost Ship with a bunch of clowns who don't respect science or God.


Stay strong, my DW recently completed chemo and radiation too.  We’re looking forward to cruising, but won’t chance her health.  We’re in Toronto and I can attest to the fact there are people who only think of themselves everywhere.  At this point, given all the information, you’d think wearing masks would be a given.  Let’s hope for a good vaccine soon and for responsible leadership to guide us through this.  In Canada, all levels of government have worked together well so far.  Hoping you in the states get that soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dccruisin said:

How is it where I live for Covid?  We feel very fortunate to live in probably one of the safest places to be during the pandemic.  We live in the beautiful mountains of Panama about 1 ½ from Panama City.

Panama has a very strict quarantine.

 

Since March any time you are outside your house you are to wear a mask.  From my observation there is nearly 100% compliance.

 

From early March until two weeks ago, women could go out to the grocery store, gas station and pharmacy on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for an hour and men Tuesday and Thursday - with 1/2 hour commute time either side of shopping time. The hour is based on the last digit of a SSN (Cedula number) number.

Oh, they gave us seniors 3 hours to shop from 7am to 10 am on our designated women/men days

No one except essential workers can go out on Sunday.

And there is a curfew from 7pm to 5am (which last we switched to 11pm to 5am.) Fines were imposed on violators.  I saw a posting where one jurisdiction had the violators lined up on a Saturday morning and had the violators literally cleaning the streets as their punishment.

There are lines at the stores to get in....they regulate how many people are in the store...someone at the door takes your temperature, applies hand sanitizer and you will have a mask at all stores at all times. At the checkouts there are markings for you to keep the proper distance in line.  People in the stores try to avoid being close to others.  I found that Panamanians are very polite and helpful people in general.

The police and/or gov’t officials randomly monitor the stores to make sure protocols are being followed. You see people constantly cleaning in the grocery stores.  One of our local grocery stores (think Giant, Safeway, Kroger or Publix ) had 9 people test positive for the virus.  The store was closed for more than 24hours and cleaned and disinfected.  Another store more the like a Super Target had some positive cases of workers and the store was closed for 2 days of cleaning and disinfecting.

 

.

Restaurants can do take out or delivery only.

There has been a huge effort both by the government and private groups to deliver food bags with essentials to every household in need.

We aren't living that much different than normal except we can't get together with friends and neighbors.

And my cleaning lady can't come and clean because of the restrictions.

The airports were completely closed to passenger traffic except the odd humanitarian flight. A couple of weeks ago Copa has started limited flights.  International flights are scheduled to start again October 12th.

Hotels have not been open but are scheduled to reopen October 12th. 

Recently hardware stores and dentists have opened.

These restrictions have been in effect since March. For a period of time (6 weeks or so) there was a complete dry law in effect - no beer, wine or hard alcohol for sale anywhere.   

There are what they call "sanitary fences" in place so people are not supposed to travel outside their province without permission. A province would be about the size of a county in the US. If you have doctor's appointment outside your province you have to get a letter from your doctor to show at the check point. 

Essential workers had to get a piece of paper (Salvo Conductor) that allowed them to be out and about.

I have not seen any shortages of masks, cleaning supplies or toilet paper.  I even took pictures of the fully stocked shelves.

Gatherings have been very restricted and if the restrictions are violated there are hefty fines.  There was a wedding that had several hundred attendees.  The wedding party was fined something like $50,000 and the caterer $10,000.  A political group had a luncheon at a local restaurant.  I think the party was fined $10,000 and the restaurant was also fined as they were not supposed to be open. 

A couple of weeks ago the women/men and time restrictions were relaxed and people can go shop anytime outside the curfew hours.

Starting next week restaurants can have limited sit down service.  Unfortunately the beaches will still be closed for a while longer. 

The government has done a great job of keeping the public informed of what is going on.  There is a detailed briefing at 6pm every day.  There is a project called Panama Solidario where the government and private groups are distributing food bags and money to the needy.  It also covers initiatives to get the Panamanian people through the pandemic. Take a look at the @MINSAPma  or one of the news channel accounts such as @prensacom or @TVNnoticias on Twitter for more details.

 

Sorry this is kind of long but I just wanted to put forward that there are places where people are pulling together and helping each other get through the pandemic. 

Wow, that is amazing and impressive.  You guys have it together.  Many countries can learn from you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2020 at 9:01 AM, TeeRick said:

No for me anyway.  I am not willing to risk a COVID infection on a cruise ship and/or being stranded at sea, and pay big bucks to cruise with masks and limit my vacation enjoyment.  That is me.  Others will disagree.  My next cruise is not until a year from now and I am hoping that I can enjoy that one - or I will shift it further out.

i ve one planned for 2021   live in long island ny   love the pic of your wheaten  who is your breeder?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dayana said:

i ve one planned for 2021   live in long island ny   love the pic of your wheaten  who is your breeder?

Our wheaton is now two and just perfect for us.  Thanks!  Local family breeder here in PA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 9:01 AM, TeeRick said:

No for me anyway.  I am not willing to risk a COVID infection on a cruise ship and/or being stranded at sea, and pay big bucks to cruise with masks and limit my vacation enjoyment.  That is me.  Others will disagree.  My next cruise is not until a year from now and I am hoping that I can enjoy that one - or I will shift it further out.

I fear the possibility of no cruising as it used to be until 2023 with the exception of the boats going into the open sea from Freeport,NY.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I fear the possibility of no cruising as it used to be until 2023 with the exception of the boats going into the open sea from Freeport,NY.

We purchased bway tickets to see the music man in 2019 for a show june 2021.  Just notified it’s been postponed to 2022!  Cast might be different or it might not happen. Hope we can get our money back

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We purchased bway tickets to see the music man in 2019 for a show june 2021.  Just notified it’s been postponed to 2022!  Cast might be different or it might not happen. Hope we can get our money back

I belong to a Theater Club in NY .Members who paid for Sept. 2020 to June 2021 got a refund .Hopefully you will get to see the show.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most if not all of us are aware of the proposed guidelines RCCL made to the CDC to reopen cruising. One proposal says that shore excursions should be limited to "cruise-line sponsored or verified excursions." I have posted it below. As I read this, it goes further than just limiting shore excursions to ship-sponsored, it controls whether you can get off the ship at all. The ONLY way a passenger can leave the ship in any given port is to do so as part of a "cruise-line sponsored or verified" excursion. Can't speak for everyone but this SUCKS!!!! Many times we don't do an excursion, we'll explore on our own or book our own excursion. But this proposal, as I read it, you can't get off the ship unless you participate in a ship sponsored excursion. In August, passengers on-board an MSC cruise in Italy were not allowed to re-board their ship after they separated from their ship-sponsored excursion and went off on their own.  

 

This is right from the proposal. 

 

Guest Excursions 59:

During the initial return to sailing, cruise operators should only allow guests debarking from a ship at a destination port to participate in cruise line-sponsored or verified excursions as a way of limiting potential exposures in the destinations they visit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 8:34 PM, fairweather said:

I, too, would like us all to take some time and remember the wonderful crew members from the various ships we  have cruised with through the years. They looked after us and many became our friends.  You wonder how they and their families are faring during this pandemic and lockdown. I worry that they are unemployed and barely making ends meet.

 

I also worry that they will risk their lives again when the ships sail only to see them shut down again due to those who refuse to socially distance or wear masks. It's not just Americans who suffer when others don't care if they live or die...or care if they take the rest of us along with them.

 

Europeans are trying to be civilized. Their reward is to cruising again with safety measures and the joy of knowing you can still have fun with them. We Americans just keep allowing others to make dumb decisions for the rest of us which we all know are wrong on so many levels. I really have no appetite now for sailing with them and ending up on Gilligan's Island where they won't socially distance or wear masks either.

 

I so long to sail again and feel the breeze running through my hair now that it's grown back again after my recent chemo and radiation. But I don't want to die on a Ghost Ship with a bunch of clowns who don't respect science or God.

Very well said! I am sad that the livelihoods of the dedicated crew members who have looked over us for years has come to a halt and I praise them for their willingness to return. I pray that they will remain safe while they do their jobs. You are right on about Americans who make decisions that affect the safety of others. I think it is more than dumb. It is obstinate and narcissistic. I will close by echoing your words:  "But I don't want to die on a Ghost Ship with a bunch of clowns who don't respect science or God."

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

I think most if not all of us are aware of the proposed guidelines RCCL made to the CDC to reopen cruising. One proposal says that shore excursions should be limited to "cruise-line sponsored or verified excursions." I have posted it below. As I read this, it goes further than just limiting shore excursions to ship-sponsored, it controls whether you can get off the ship at all. "The ONLY way a passenger can leave the ship in any given port is to do so as part of a "cruise-line sponsored or verified" excursion. Can't speak for everyone but this SUCKS!!!! Many times we don't do an excursion, we'll explore on our own or book our own excursion. But this proposal, as I read it, you can't get off the ship unless you participate in a ship sponsored excursion. In August, passengers on-board an MSC cruise in Italy were not allowed to re-board their ship after they separated from their ship-sponsored excursion and went off on their own.  

 

This is right from the proposal. 

 

Guest Excursions 59:

During the initial return to sailing, cruise operators should only allow guests debarking from a ship at a destination port to participate in cruise line-sponsored or verified excursions as a way of limiting potential exposures in the destinations they visit.

 

"I think most if not all of us are aware of the proposed guidelines RCCL made to the CDC to reopen cruising" I haven't seen the complete guidelines. 

 

My comment to "The ONLY way a passenger can leave the ship in any given port is to do so as part of a "cruise-line sponsored or verified" excursion. Can't speak for everyone but this SUCKS!!!!" I agree that it is very inconvenient and may seem like a control issue but  this virus is REAL and I think that for  the safety of passengers, excursions will have to be very carefully monitored to ensure that social distancing, hand sanitizing,  and 100% mask compliance is enforced. Personally, the only ports that I plan to visit are CoCo Cay and Labadee because I trust that RCCL will have a tight grip on enforcing protocols on their own private islands. 

 

I recently cancelled my NY Eve cruise and rebooked to January 11 (four nights out of PC). We will see what happens. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we aren't allowed to shop at the ports, that will surely be bad for the shop owners.  So sad.  We really enjoy walking around the ports and shopping.  We purchase nice memories, sometimes jewelry and get a little exercise.  The population of the islands really depend upon tourists. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

If we aren't allowed to shop at the ports, that will surely be bad for the shop owners.  So sad.  We really enjoy walking around the ports and shopping.  We purchase nice memories, sometimes jewelry and get a little exercise.  The population of the islands really depend upon tourists. 

With all the protocols it seems will be required we are probably going to be doing land vacations for awhile.  The Black Hills of South Dakota are looking like a good place for us to visit.  Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis and Spearfish Canyon.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keksie said:

With all the protocols it seems will be required we are probably going to be doing land vacations for awhile.  The Black Hills of South Dakota are looking like a good place for us to visit.  Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis and Spearfish Canyon.  

Not sure how widespread Covid is in South Dakota now-  If safe, enjoy!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Not sure how widespread Covid is in South Dakota now-  If safe, enjoy!

We wouldn't go until next year.  Too cold for us already.  From the webcams during the rally Sturgis and Deadwood look like places we would enjoy.  We have been to Mt. Rushmore before and really enjoyed that trip.  I am sure it will just as safe as Walmart on a weekend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Keksie said:

We wouldn't go until next year.  Too cold for us already.  From the webcams during the rally Sturgis and Deadwood look like places we would enjoy.  We have been to Mt. Rushmore before and really enjoyed that trip.  I am sure it will just as safe as Walmart on a weekend.

 

2 minutes ago, Keksie said:

We wouldn't go until next year.  Too cold for us already.  From the webcams during the rally Sturgis and Deadwood look like places we would enjoy.  We have been to Mt. Rushmore before and really enjoyed that trip.  I am sure it will just as safe as Walmart on a weekend.

Wouldn’t shop in Walmart unless senior hours! And that the store practices social distancing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2020 at 10:21 AM, webgal318 said:

 

"I think most if not all of us are aware of the proposed guidelines RCCL made to the CDC to reopen cruising" I haven't seen the complete guidelines. 

 

My comment to "The ONLY way a passenger can leave the ship in any given port is to do so as part of a "cruise-line sponsored or verified" excursion. Can't speak for everyone but this SUCKS!!!!" I agree that it is very inconvenient and may seem like a control issue but  this virus is REAL and I think that for  the safety of passengers, excursions will have to be very carefully monitored to ensure that social distancing, hand sanitizing,  and 100% mask compliance is enforced. Personally, the only ports that I plan to visit are CoCo Cay and Labadee because I trust that RCCL will have a tight grip on enforcing protocols on their own private islands. 

 

I recently cancelled my NY Eve cruise and rebooked to January 11 (four nights out of PC). We will see what happens. 

 

Well if you care to read the proposal, it is very easy to find on-line. It's about 74 pages. Now what I have NOT found anywhere is if the CDC has agreed to adopt these proposals. Of course RCCL or any cruise line can adopt their own rules. Such as in the MSC cruise line case back in August.

 

As to my second comment, Yes, I agree that the virus is "REAL" however it is NOT the automatic death sentence that seems to be being inferred. Yes, I agree that the cruise lines should do what they feel is necessary for the safety of the crew and passengers and to get back to operation. But I also think that if they adopt a rule such as being proposed concerning shore excursions and leaving the ship at all, then that should be made VERY public so that potential passengers are not blindsided. Perhaps it will be if the CDC agrees and it is adopted. For me, that would be a deal breaker. I would not choose to cruise at that time. I don't want to be in a port for 6, 8 or more hours, participating in a shore excursion for 4 or more hours and spending the rest of the time back on the ship waiting to leave. For me that is a waste of time IMHO. But to each their own. All any of us can do at this point is hope for the best and wait and see what happens. Hoping everyone stays Healthy & Safe.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

I would not choose to cruise at that time. I don't want to be in a port for 6, 8 or more hours, participating in a shore excursion for 4 or more hours and spending the rest of the time back on the ship waiting to leave. For me that is a waste of time IMHO. But to each their own. All any of us can do at this point is hope for the best and wait and see what happens. Hoping everyone stays Healthy & Safe.  

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. The more info we have, along with input from experienced cruisers, the easier to make informed choices for ourselves that won't lead to disappointment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone has their reasons to sail. 'I am 71 and my husband is 79 and we have been all over the Caribbean. While it will be disappointing to stay in port, if that ends up being the case, the thing I will miss the most is the shopping.

 

That said, cruising for me, is an escape to relax and our cruising days are numbered due to health conditions. Husband had high risk stents this past January, a pacemaker in May, and a dementia (not ALZ) diagnosis a year ago.  I will say it again "Everyone has a reason to sail." I want a break from cooking, housework, and the phone for four days. The shows, the food, a balcony to take in the view while I read would be such a nice change of pace. That is all. 

 

Of course, young families and the middle aged don't want to stay cooped up -- they want to get out and see new things. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

 

Well if you care to read the proposal, it is very easy to find on-line. It's about 74 pages. Now what I have NOT found anywhere is if the CDC has agreed to adopt these proposals. Of course RCCL or any cruise line can adopt their own rules. Such as in the MSC cruise line case back in August.

 

As to my second comment, Yes, I agree that the virus is "REAL" however it is NOT the automatic death sentence that seems to be being inferred. Yes, I agree that the cruise lines should do what they feel is necessary for the safety of the crew and passengers and to get back to operation. But I also think that if they adopt a rule such as being proposed concerning shore excursions and leaving the ship at all, then that should be made VERY public so that potential passengers are not blindsided. Perhaps it will be if the CDC agrees and it is adopted. For me, that would be a deal breaker. I would not choose to cruise at that time. I don't want to be in a port for 6, 8 or more hours, participating in a shore excursion for 4 or more hours and spending the rest of the time back on the ship waiting to leave. For me that is a waste of time IMHO. But to each their own. All any of us can do at this point is hope for the best and wait and see what happens. Hoping everyone stays Healthy & Safe.  

Glad you believe that the virus is "real", as you concur with the health experts.  However it isn't all about your automatic death sentence.  You could get it and infect others who in fact it could be their automatic death sentence.  We wear masks and practice social distancing for the sake of others, family, friends and their family and friends.  While I am a true cruise lover, I will follow what science recommends.  I can enjoy the ship as a luxury resort- so many things to do and see on board- the ship is my destination if the ports aren't safe.  I have traveled to all inclusive resorts and never left the campus- except to go back and forth to the airport.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am reading all about masks and I do wear because it is a mandate  NOT a law in our state.  We have a business and we sell masks including N95 if we could still get them.  OSHA says the masks do not work because the virus is smaller then the mask material.  They give people a since that they are doing something to protect themselves when in fact they really aren't.  They will  not put that out there yet everyone is wearing them and the count continues to go up.  If the masks were working then it would be going down.  The virus is  here and will be so everyone just needs to do what it is they need to do. We have an essential business and have worked through the whole time.  While others stay held up in their home we are out enjoying life as much as we can

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, arkansasnana3 said:

I am reading all about masks and I do wear because it is a mandate  NOT a law in our state.  We have a business and we sell masks including N95 if we could still get them.  OSHA says the masks do not work because the virus is smaller then the mask material.  They give people a since that they are doing something to protect themselves when in fact they really aren't.  They will  not put that out there yet everyone is wearing them and the count continues to go up.  If the masks were working then it would be going down.  The virus is  here and will be so everyone just needs to do what it is they need to do. We have an essential business and have worked through the whole time.  While others stay held up in their home we are out enjoying life as much as we can

That is an interesting finding from OSHA. It is my understanding from the CDC guidelines that wearing a face covering prevents a person from spreading the particles if (s)he is carrying the virus. By following the guidelines, if everyone wore a mask, the numbers would go down. The problem is when people who are carrying the virus and are not covering their mouth and nose, they are potentially making others sick. Everyone must do their part but this is not likely to happen because we are divided on the "mask or no mask" issue.

 

So I agree with part of OSHA's statement that a mask can give us a false sense of security. Following that logic and the CDC guidelines, I wear a mask, practice social distancing, wash my hands often. I stay as far away as possible from anyone I meet in a public place who is not wearing a face covering. When cruising opens again, if passengers are required to wear a face covering, I will comply and hope that the cruiseline will enforce the requirement. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in NW Florida things are busy and positive case numbers are down except when they report cases from August that they just data dumped.  Traffic is back to a normal level, parking lots are full, the gun store is always busy, restaurants are busy.  The activities we participate in are back.  All the debris from Hurricane Sally is slowly being picked although it won't be until next March for a major bridge to be open again.  The peanuts across the street have been picked and hopefully they will be able to save the cotton which took a beating during the storm.  A friend of mine will be heading this way for a visit and it will be so nice to see her.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2020 at 9:37 PM, webgal318 said:

That is an interesting finding from OSHA. It is my understanding from the CDC guidelines that wearing a face covering prevents a person from spreading the particles if (s)he is carrying the virus. By following the guidelines, if everyone wore a mask, the numbers would go down. The problem is when people who are carrying the virus and are not covering their mouth and nose, they are potentially making others sick. Everyone must do their part but this is not likely to happen because we are divided on the "mask or no mask" issue.

 

So I agree with part of OSHA's statement that a mask can give us a false sense of security. Following that logic and the CDC guidelines, I wear a mask, practice social distancing, wash my hands often. I stay as far away as possible from anyone I meet in a public place who is not wearing a face covering. When cruising opens again, if passengers are required to wear a face covering, I will comply and hope that the cruiseline will enforce the requirement. 

Agree.  Florida isn't doing well. Perhaps some areas aren't doing as poorly as others.  People aren't practicing social distancing- and many aren't wearing face masks.  Unfortunately, those of us who are doing our best to help minimize the spread are being penalized.  So sad. 

Edited by Cruise a holic
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...