Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CCHelp

Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How are things where YOU are?

Recommended Posts

I spent four hours in the ER after going into anaphylactic shock, severe allergies.  Anyway, they were great, I felt very safe after not dying!  The good news, I guess, is I tested negative for the virus.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2020 at 3:34 PM, lenquixote66 said:

My best friend died in April from Covid-19.Three other people that I know tested positive and are recovering.

My wife and I have not left our home since March 12 as we are both dealing with serious illnesses and if we got the virus we might not survive.

I find myself posting a lot more than usual on CC due to being home.

 

 

So sorry for your loss 😥.   Please stay safe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EeyoreRN said:

So sorry for your loss 😥.   Please stay safe!

Thanks very much .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lenquixote66, sorry for your loss!  Unfortunately the way some people are behaving in some states, this virus will be around longer then we had thought.  Cases in Florida, Texas, N and S Carolina- etc are rising quickly.  I saw some video on the news from Florida and people looked like it was spring break.  So sad.  

 

I really hope that we can cruise again, next year- 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

  I saw some video on the news from Florida and people looked like it was spring break.  So sad.  

 

 

I'm still annoyed at what some of the idiots DURING spring break down there said on camera when interviewed. One girl, I recall, said something like, "well, we all have to die sometime anyway"..... such a great and caring attitude....so why not take along a few other dozen people with you that you might infect while you're having a great time on the beach???   Unbelievable. All I'm hearing are local stories about people not wearing masks in businesses - including employees. The numbers will tell the story at some point. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 6:47 AM, Cruise a holic said:

Lenquixote66, sorry for your loss!  Unfortunately the way some people are behaving in some states, this virus will be around longer then we had thought.  Cases in Florida, Texas, N and S Carolina- etc are rising quickly.  I saw some video on the news from Florida and people looked like it was spring break.  So sad.  

 

I really hope that we can cruise again, next year- 

It is amazing what the angle of the video on the news makes a beach look like.  Having actually gone to the beach a couple of times everyone was very socially distant, however if you took a picture from the ground at the right angle you would think the beach was packed.  If you actually listen to the governor's news conference instead of the sound bites on national news you would understand the rise in numbers, what populations are at risk  and what is being done to protect those populations.  We have twice the hospital bed availability then before this began.  The virus will be around until we have herd immunity and a vaccine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All.  I live in Rhode Island and have been working the entire time as my company creates packaging for Duracell and Lysol, so we are deemed essential.  We have had 3 positive cases since the beginning, the last case in April, so it is pretty safe and I have a corner desk away from everyone in the office.  My DH and I still don't go anywhere, even though our state has opened up indoor dining to 50%.    We are in our 60's, so we feel better taking extra precautions.  We have been doing online grocery shopping - though my husband makes a BJ's run once a month.  Our state has been slowly going through the CDC recommended stages and we haven't had another spike.  We have now about 8 to 10 deaths a day with around 70 new positive cases a day, so definitely a downward curve.  Almost 900 deaths to date and a positive testing rate of 2.3% a day.  People are very respectful of our wearing masks in public law.  Our May cruise was cancelled and we are going to cancel our October cruise if Royal doesn't cancel it by our final payment.  We booked a cruise for late June 2021, so hopefully that will happen.  Our state is going to Phase 3 in a couple of weeks, so we will see what that brings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 11:08 AM, elaineb said:

Hi All.  I live in Rhode Island and have been working the entire time as my company creates packaging for Duracell and Lysol, so we are deemed essential.  We have had 3 positive cases since the beginning, the last case in April, so it is pretty safe and I have a corner desk away from everyone in the office.  My DH and I still don't go anywhere, even though our state has opened up indoor dining to 50%.    We are in our 60's, so we feel better taking extra precautions.  We have been doing online grocery shopping - though my husband makes a BJ's run once a month.  Our state has been slowly going through the CDC recommended stages and we haven't had another spike.  We have now about 8 to 10 deaths a day with around 70 new positive cases a day, so definitely a downward curve.  Almost 900 deaths to date and a positive testing rate of 2.3% a day.  People are very respectful of our wearing masks in public law.  Our May cruise was cancelled and we are going to cancel our October cruise if Royal doesn't cancel it by our final payment.  We booked a cruise for late June 2021, so hopefully that will happen.  Our state is going to Phase 3 in a couple of weeks, so we will see what that brings.

Our county is in Phase 3 now. I went out two days ago for a long overdue haircut.The barber shop had signs outside and inside stating masks required.

I am looking out a window currently and many people are walking but none wearing a mask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Our county is in Phase 3 now. I went out two days ago for a long overdue haircut.The barber shop had signs outside and inside stating masks required.

I am looking out a window currently and many people are walking but none wearing a mask.

People in my area have been very respectful in practicing safe distances and wearing masks.  Fortunately our rates of covid are way down.  We are also being careful as we are in our 60’s good health, but still very careful.  We have groceries delivered as well as some deliveries. I am grateful that our state has wonderful leadership.  I am afraid however that many states including Florida are acting so irresponsibly.  This will prolong our cruise sailing dates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

People in my area have been very respectful in practicing safe distances and wearing masks.  Fortunately our rates of covid are way down.  We are also being careful as we are in our 60’s good health, but still very careful.  We have groceries delivered as well as some deliveries. I am grateful that our state has wonderful leadership.  I am afraid however that many states including Florida are acting so irresponsibly.  This will prolong our cruise sailing dates

Agreed.  Our Northeast states worked together to get control of this and our governors worked together well.  Unfortunately, leadership is lacking in the South and that will delay our cruise sailing dates.  I don't understand why they don't get it.  Wear a mask, social distance and the numbers go down.  We typically go on a cruise or do Disney for vacation.  But unless Florida gets a handle on this, we won't feel comfortable to spend our tourist dollars there.  Why can't neighboring Southern states come up with a plan?  We are all in this together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

People in my area have been very respectful in practicing safe distances and wearing masks.  Fortunately our rates of covid are way down.  We are also being careful as we are in our 60’s good health, but still very careful.  We have groceries delivered as well as some deliveries. I am grateful that our state has wonderful leadership.  I am afraid however that many states including Florida are acting so irresponsibly.  This will prolong our cruise sailing dates

I am older than you and not in good health.We get deliveries from Peapod and Target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Our county is in Phase 3 now. I went out two days ago for a long overdue haircut.The barber shop had signs outside and inside stating masks required.

I am looking out a window currently and many people are walking but none wearing a mask.

You must be feeling light as air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am older than you and not in good health.We get deliveries from Peapod and Target.

We have been happy with Amazon whole foods, and instacart using shoprite.  Not as good as when I shop myself, but fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is everybody looking at Florida?

We have as good a port as any state....NY? NJ? Baltimore? Boston? Just saying.........you never know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

You must be feeling light as air.

Not really because I still have my beard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

We have been happy with Amazon whole foods, and instacart using shoprite.  Not as good as when I shop myself, but fine

We also order from Amazon and our daughter who lives near us goes shopping for her family and my wife and I to Costco and Trader Joe’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lexi, I am so sorry for your loss.

 

I'm in Texas where everyone seems to be doing their best to pretend nothing happened. Last I checked bars were allowed to open at severely reduced capacity, and hairdressers were allowed to go back to work. Bars in my rural area and several cities nearby have been packed when I drove by. Not that I've driven by all the bars by any stretch but everyone I know says they're seeing the same thing throughout the state.

 

Very few if any are getting any push back. If you wear a mask or try to clean your cart you will at best get people insisting they cannot hear you to see if they can get you to remove your mask and crowding you while you try to wipe your cart off. 

 

Except the Asian grocery which has been awesome. I'm buying all my groceries there now even though it means 3x the drive each way.

 

Today I read several states are making anyone coming from Texas quarantine for 2 weeks. Good for them. Every state should be doing this. Testing is down yet we're posting new record highs daily for people newly tested positive.

 

Husband and I were apparently lucky to have a mild case before shutdown. Or at least the symptoms sound right and we tested negative for flu, strep, and whatever else at that time. Now we test positive for the long term antibodies but negative for shedding the virus which should mean we had it and recovered.

 

We still wash hands, scrub things down, and wear masks just in case. I recall reading there are some illnesses you can spread even if you are immune because you breath it in, then later the germs come out when you exhale elsewhere. With how little is known about this virus we feel it is better to be careful rather than possibly endanger someone else. Hope everyone reading this is staying safe and doing well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We live in central FL. Our county is looking bad. However by our zip code we aren’t the hotspot. 
Our governor tries to hides numbers and deaths. So I would think any numbers are lower than they really are.

Now the numbers show it’s it’s 20-40 year olds mostly testing positive. And that’s due to the bars opening back up. Although their death rates aren’t as high.

One bar near college campus in Orlando had their liquor license pulled. And others are being threatened. 
We stay inside and social distance. So far, so good. We’re retired, thankfully, so don’t need to make the choice between making a living or possibly dying.

Our September cruise out of PC was cancelled. Hoping now for our December booking to happen. But not holding my breath. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We live in a condo of 2000 residents,equivalent to many cruise ships.We received a notice today that 2 of the 3 outdoor pools would open July 1.However,there are 4 pages of restrictions .One of which is that the locker rooms will be closed but showers open.

Wearing masks ,not sitting less than 6 feet from another resident and pool time and day appointments.Can you imagine this on a ship ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in Florida, and too many people here  don't respect others, and will not wear a mask. Our governor has blinders on and doesn't have a clue of what to do.In the meantime virus' are spreading like wildfire.New records almost every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I live in Florida, and too many people here  don't respect others, and will not wear a mask. Our governor has blinders on and doesn't have a clue of what to do.In the meantime virus' are spreading like wildfire.New records almost every day.

I think that the people should protest to the governor who clearly isn't managing the situation properly.  He is putting profits before people.  However, people should also use common sense and read the statistics and realize that social distancing and wearing face masks is considerate behavior.  Until this behavior discontinues, we will all not be safe to cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I think that the people should protest to the governor who clearly isn't managing the situation properly.  He is putting profits before people.  However, people should also use common sense and read the statistics and realize that social distancing and wearing face masks is considerate behavior.  Until this behavior discontinues, we will all not be safe to cruise.

Our Governor has been very vocal telling people to wear masks.Many people are not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Our Governor has been very vocal telling people to wear masks.Many people are not.

The restaurants and bars have to stop allowing people in.  Or at least only outdoor dining at a limited capacity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

The restaurants and bars have to stop allowing people in.  Or at least only outdoor dining at a limited capacity 

I look out my window and see hundreds of people walk by every day and less than 10% are wearing masks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I look out my window and see hundreds of people walk by every day and less than 10% are wearing masks.

 

This is the thing that most bothers me about the grand 'reopening' of the country. Can't say I didn't expect this to happen, but still doesn't assuage the disappointment in the lax attitude that is being displayed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...