Jump to content

The Virtual Explorers' Lounge


Recommended Posts

Just finished watching the Viking TV presentation from last Monday about the Sky and Sun.  And I swear, when we finally (knock on wood) board the Venus next July, I may violate all rules of decorum as well as pandemic safety protocols, and hug every crew member I encounter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Just finished watching the Viking TV presentation from last Monday about the Sky and Sun.  And I swear, when we finally (knock on wood) board the Venus next July, I may violate all rules of decorum as well as pandemic safety protocols, and hug every crew member I encounter. 

 

 

LOL!! You will be very busy 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

LOL!! You will be very busy 😁

I certainly will and I won't mind a bit. I sooooo miss being on a Viking ship. What can I say???? 😊

Edited by CharTrav
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just checked the Viking site and you can't book February and March 2021 cruises anymore.  I still haven't been notified by Viking about my February/March cruise.  I wonder if they stopped notifying us directly and we must wait for our travel agent?

Cynthia

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Humbb said:

Our March Northern Lights cruise booking has become inaccessible on MyVikingJourney this morning. Expecting a cancellation email notice soon.

 

Patience. It may be a couple of days until it arrives.

 

It also looks like they are cancelling sailings into April, but not all sailings. I know that I am having the same issues you are -- my April cruise is no longer listed on the individual itinerary page and MVJ tells me that I have no bookings. It would be downright scary if I didn't know that this is how thinks tend to happen right before a cancellation announcement.

 

LunaSea, you and your TA will receive the e-mails simultaneously -- one e-mail for each pax.

 

The e-mail will include the new 125% voucher. If you would prefer a cash refund, you must inform Viking by the deadline stated in the e-mail (usually 10 days).

Edited by Peregrina651
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

The e-mail will include the new 125% voucher. If you would prefer a cash refund, you must inform Viking by the deadline stated in the e-mail (usually 10 days).

Thanks. I'm not sure what our voucher options will be as we used a "tweener" voucher; i.e. it was awarded under the pre-125% rules for a March, 2020 Northern Lights trip that was never cancelled by Viking. We cancelled during the pre-24 hour period and only received a 100% voucher. (As it turns out we dodged a real bullet as the cruise turned back to London only 3 days after leaving Bergen.) I called our Viking agent about a month ago about another risk-free cancellation for 2021 and he suggested we wait and see if Viking cancels first, which might provide more favorable settlement options.  I have a feeling that all we'll be offered is the 100% voucher again with no cash option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2020 at 1:46 PM, Jim Avery said:

I was always impressed by the bartenders on Viking.  They make cocktails from scratch.  Watching them make a Mojito, muddling the mint and sugar and producing a beautiful drink.  My fave Bloody Mary guy also made them from scratch for me.  I could have tomato juice, Clamato juice, or my favorite V-8 juice.  I got to choose "dressings" as well.  Olives, the traditional celery stick, cocktail onions.  No bacon strips though.  Bummer....🍸

I agree. I don't drink Mojitos but I have seen many made and if it is not done correctly it looks as if you are drinking swamp water 😉. Do like a good Bloody Mary and while I have never had one with a bacon, I'm pretty sure that I could get into that . I like it with a bit of horseradish too .

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Humbb said:

Thanks. I'm not sure what our voucher options will be as we used a "tweener" voucher; i.e. it was awarded under the pre-125% rules for a March, 2020 Northern Lights trip that was never cancelled by Viking. We cancelled during the pre-24 hour period and only received a 100% voucher. (As it turns out we dodged a real bullet as the cruise turned back to London only 3 days after leaving Bergen.) I called our Viking agent about a month ago about another risk-free cancellation for 2021 and he suggested we wait and see if Viking cancels first, which might provide more favorable settlement options.  I have a feeling that all we'll be offered is the 100% voucher again with no cash option.

 

Have you found a Viking agent who gives straight answers to questions? I didn't think they had such an agent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom.in.nc said:

Just saw today’s announcement that Viking has canceled through March 31.

 

(But my April trip seems to be gone also.)

 

Yes, this round of cancellations included all of Feb and March and some April sailings.

 

The announcement is now available on the Viking website:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

 

BTW, Tom, have you checked your inbox? You should have your e-mails by now.

Edited by Peregrina651
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but here goes:  I know which PV cabins have sliders instead of the window and door but which ones of those are forward (when sleeping) facing while you are in bed - with your feet going towards the front of the ship?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but here goes:  I know which PV cabins have sliders instead of the window and door but which ones of those are forward (when sleeping) facing while you are in bed - with your feet going towards the front of the ship?  

 

Yes, this might not be the right place simply because of audience size. Your question is buried here and will be seen only by those who regularly check in here. You may get more answers if you start a new thread with your question, that way more people will see your question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but here goes:  I know which PV cabins have sliders instead of the window and door but which ones of those are forward (when sleeping) facing while you are in bed - with your feet going towards the front of the ship?  

that's an interesting question .. assuming that cabins are mirror imaged in pairs -- the foot of our bed in 5013 was towards the front of the ship.  So would it be safe to make the assumption that orientation alternates? e.g.,  5009, 5013, 5017, 5021.  Look at the interactive views of the ship by floor.  I suspect that the front facing beds alternate from front to back on each side. Seem reasonable?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

HOW STRANGE!!!

 

After today's last cancellation, my MVJ reverted to the old format. Has anyone else experience same?

Mine is still on the new but for a brief moment I was redirected to a URL with "system maintenance" in it; when, I refreshed -- it opened like usual .. on the new MVJ.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

Yes, this might not be the right place simply because of audience size. Your question is buried here and will be seen only by those who regularly check in here. You may get more answers if you start a new thread with your question, that way more people will see your question.

I did my best to answer it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gojagators said:

Thank you CharTrav for posting the link.  Its nice to finally have some idea of what things will be like when we are finally traveling again.

It seems they've updated their web site too so that simply going to the home page doesn't provide the link for "updates on current sailings" -- which right now has been displaced by the link I provided. The place to find everything -- updates on current sailings, health & safety program, MVJ, etc. is My Trip -- https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/index.html

How I found the link about the new safety procedures was cuz I was looking for updates on current sailings.  When I couldn't find THAT, I searched for it .. and found it in MyTrips. New bookmark!!!

Edited by CharTrav
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but here goes:  I know which PV cabins have sliders instead of the window and door but which ones of those are forward (when sleeping) facing while you are in bed - with your feet going towards the front of the ship?  

We were in 4019 - feet toward the front and a slider!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gang,  Happy Friday.  I guess everyday is Friday here in the Virtual EL.  Or Saturday if you prefer.  Eri, may I have an Irish Coffee please.  I have put in a long day over there with Andy (Heidi 13) working out all the details for the 2022/2023 World Cruise.  As long as we stay here, nothing bad can happen.   🍸

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...