Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
photopro2

The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

 

 We'll all put on pounds from the comfort eating and lack of our usual amounts of exercise.

 

Stress baking - Flattening the curve, is fattening my curves!🍰

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody know how fare the crews of the Viking ships that are not, like the Jupiter and Sun,  still underway ? (Assuming the Viking River crews are ok btw - were able to go home). I'm guessing that the Star crew - with the ship docked in Tilbury are not ship  bound. But what of the crews of the Orion, Sea, & Sky sitting at anchor off Melbourne, Gibraltar, and Ft Lauderdale? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Keep checking on Sky, Sun, and Sea using VesselFinder. Locations for Sun and Sea are current but not for Sky. Last location is from April 3. Is there another data source to check? (not Cruise Mapper btw)  TIA. 

Edited by CharTrav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Keep checking on Sky, Sun, and Sea using VesselFinder. Locations for Sun and Sea are current but not for Sky. Last location is from April 3. Is there another data source to check? (not Cruise Mapper btw)  TIA. 

 

I thought I read that Sky is heading east, to the other side of the pond, and I thought that I read one of our resident merchant mariners saying that the technology isn't always accurate when a ship is out to sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

I thought I read that Sky is heading east, to the other side of the pond, and I thought that I read one of our resident merchant mariners saying that the technology isn't always accurate when a ship is out to sea.

Yup. She is. And the last track for her has her about a third of the way across the Atlantic. Last data point still April 3 (just checked). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Yup. She is. And the last track for her has her about a third of the way across the Atlantic. Last data point still April 3 (just checked). 

Marinetracker shows Sky heading for Portsmouth with ETA of 4/16.  All the tracking services do not show the "out of range" satellite AIS position unless you are a subscribed member.  The rest of us can see the positions obtained by land based systems.  Like you, I love being able to follow the ship. (s) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Keep checking on Sky, Sun, and Sea using VesselFinder. Locations for Sun and Sea are current but not for Sky. Last location is from April 3. Is there another data source to check? (not Cruise Mapper btw)  TIA. 

The position and speed of Viking Sun is correct and as we are within range of the coast, the free vessel finders will have an accurate position. When checking the position, it is important to check on how old the position is.

 

Viking Sky is currently bound for Portsmouth, UK. She is currently in the North Atlantic, so the AIS will only work if you pay for a satellite subscription. You can also scroll out and search the Atlantic for the colour used for cruise ships, which on vessel finder is green. When I did that, I found at least 1/2 dozen cruise ships in the Atlantic, with 2 probables. Best guess is she is currently about 1/2 way across.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, we always keep an eye on where you are Andy......😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The position and speed of Viking Sun is correct and as we are within range of the coast, the free vessel finders will have an accurate position. When checking the position, it is important to check on how old the position is.

 

Viking Sky is currently bound for Portsmouth, UK. She is currently in the North Atlantic, so the AIS will only work if you pay for a satellite subscription. You can also scroll out and search the Atlantic for the colour used for cruise ships, which on vessel finder is green. When I did that, I found at least 1/2 dozen cruise ships in the Atlantic, with 2 probables. Best guess is she is currently about 1/2 way across.

Ah! Ç'est le difference between the mobile vice full browser version! The full version on my workstation aka "Alexander" does indeed display her latest position as of 17:39 UTC. She is west of the Azores.  For whatever reason the mobile version picks up the updates to the Sun and Sea but not 😥 the Sky. 

 

On my workstation I'm doing the logged in version (and free btw) so I can set up a fleet of ships to track. All the Viking ships are in my "fleet". 

Edited by CharTrav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Ah! Ç'est le difference between the mobile vice full browser version! The full version on my workstation aka "Alexander" does indeed display her latest position as of 17:39 UTC. She is west of the Azores.  For whatever reason the mobile version picks up the updates to the Sun and Sea but not 😥 the Sky. 

 

On my workstation I'm doing the logged in version (and free btw) so I can set up a fleet of ships to track. All the Viking ships are in my "fleet". 

Just checked and she is now within range of a ground station, so the AIS signal is now being received. When I checked about 6 hrs ago it was still showing as being a satellite position.

 

I can also set up a fleet of ships, but when they are outside shore range, I don't get updates unless I pay - just shows current positions, but no name or data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Just checked and she is now within range of a ground station, so the AIS signal is now being received. When I checked about 6 hrs ago it was still showing as being a satellite position.

 

I can also set up a fleet of ships, but when they are outside shore range, I don't get updates unless I pay - just shows current positions, but no name or data.

Thanks! Learn something new every day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like seeing the maps with all the ships too.  I prefer MarineTracker but most are similar in what they provide.  In order to get full AIS satellite tracking at MT, the Professional Package costs $99/month.  I'm ok waiting a day or so to get the "in range" reports.  Haha, I'll spend that $99/month on TP or other essentials.  🍸

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

mobile app picking it up now too. Thought I'd managed to edit my earlier post in time. Sadly...no. 

Edited by CharTrav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, I'll spend that $99/month on TP or other essentials.  🍸

I'm cheap too. Whatever i can get for free and serves my purposes. 👍🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a wonderful idea. I am so in, don't drink much, but! I love a glass of wine every now and them. I have a deep desire for a waffle at Mamsen's. I will have a white wine spritzer and a seat in the upper level of the Explorers lounge. So ready to get back onboard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fyi - did another check on the Viking fleet. Lots of movement - some that started last week and I missed. Jupiter left Barbados last week sometime and is in the North Atlantic heading for the UK somewhere (GB PME). Orion left its anchorage off Melbourne, docked for a bit (April 7-9), and is now heading west destination TBC. Sea left Portsmouth April 8 and is heading for Kristiansund.  Sky is still making its way to GB PME and is north of the Azores quite a bit. Sun is docked in Lisboa (Lisbon?). Star remains docked in Tilbury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Fyi - did another check on the Viking fleet. Lots of movement - some that started last week and I missed. Jupiter left Barbados last week sometime and is in the North Atlantic heading for the UK somewhere (GB PME). Orion left its anchorage off Melbourne, docked for a bit (April 7-9), and is now heading west destination TBC. Sea left Portsmouth April 8 and is heading for Kristiansund.  Sky is still making its way to GB PME and is north of the Azores quite a bit. Sun is docked in Lisboa (Lisbon?). Star remains docked in Tilbury. 

Lots of movement for sure.  GB PME is the sign for Great Britain Portsmouth.  Viking seems to be using Portsmouth more frequently.  A nice place to see.  Happy Easter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2020 at 3:15 PM, deec said:

We were suppose board the Sea  to do the TA  from San Juan to Barcelona on March 12....cruise canceled at the last moment.  Fortunately we had decided to cancel an the 10th before our flight to San Juan on the 11th.  My best guess is that she left for Barcelona with only crew aboard!

 

deec,  

 

You certainly have it right about our TA from San Juan to Barcelona being cancelled at the last minute! We were just getting ready to catch a few winks before getting up at 3 for a 5:30 am flight to ATL and on to SJU on the 12th when the WH slammed the door shut on any idea of us getting to cruise the Atlantic this year.  In hind sight, it was the best thing that could have possibly happened.  If the Sea had sailed our fate at best would have been no better than what happened to the Sky's TA that had left Miami 6 days before as so aptly narrated by Clay Clayton

 

By 10:45 pm we had received an email from Tors Hagen explaining the situation, Viking's decision on what they were doing and their generous offers for compensation.  A Viking representative called by 11 pm to be sure we had received the information about the cancellation.  We sat tight and elected to take the future cruise voucher worth 125% of everything we paid to Viking for the cancelled TA cruise.

 

Getting to the the end of this tale, we received notice of our cruise vouchers availability early this week and used it to pay for the Jupiter's South Atlantic Crossing (Buenos Aires to Barcelona) in March 2021. We were even able to upgrade our accommodations with the credit provided. Kudos to Viking for how they have been handling their part of this whole COVID19 situation.

 

Love the idea of the "virtual Explorers' Lounge". We can just hear the piano playing lovely music for atmosphere in the background, the murmuring of a dozen different conversation mixed with laughter, and the tinkling of ice in glasses of delicious libations.    

All of this contained on one of Viking's wonderous "magic carpets" of their Star class ocean ships.  

 

Senior Gators

Edited by Senior Gators

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the BA to Barcelona cruise. It is on our list. Just an FYI, if you don’t have Viking Air in your deal AND you have American Airlines points, they have some great biz class Award deals to South America for next year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunatley we can't join that TA next year.  Our Mexico plans extend all of May but definitely on our list.  Has anyone in the Explorer's Lounge done a Fall TA....weather conditions???  Hurricane season?  May use our credits ( we now have 2 cruises worth) to do Viking's South America! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, deec said:

Unfortunatley we can't join that TA next year.  Our Mexico plans extend all of May but definitely on our list.  Has anyone in the Explorer's Lounge done a Fall TA....weather conditions???  Hurricane season?  May use our credits ( we now have 2 cruises worth) to do Viking's South America! 

 

We did South America before we found Viking and absolutely loved the itinerary. We spent a week on our own in Buenos Aires prior to departure including an overnight trip to Iguazu Falls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

We did South America before we found Viking and absolutely loved the itinerary. We spent a week on our own in Buenos Aires prior to departure including an overnight trip to Iguazu Falls.

Peregrina651, I have seem your site name before. Are you a past X ( Celebrity cruiser)? If you don't mind me asking What year did you sail South America. 

 

Happy Easter everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Senior Gators said:

 

deec,  

 

You certainly have it right about our TA from San Juan to Barcelona being cancelled at the last minute! We were just getting ready to catch a few winks before getting up at 3 for a 5:30 am flight to ATL and on to SJU on the 12th when the WH slammed the door shut on any idea of us getting to cruise the Atlantic this year.  In hind sight, it was the best thing that could have possibly happened.  If the Sea had sailed our fate at best would have been no better than what happened to the Sky's TA that had left Miami 6 days before as so aptly narrated by Clay Clayton

 

By 10:45 pm we had received an email from Tors Hagen explaining the situation, Viking's decision on what they were doing and their generous offers for compensation.  A Viking representative called by 11 pm to be sure we had received the information about the cancellation.  We sat tight and elected to take the future cruise voucher worth 125% of everything we paid to Viking for the cancelled TA cruise.

 

Getting to the the end of this tale, we received notice of our cruise vouchers availability early this week and used it to pay for the Jupiter's South Atlantic Crossing (Buenos Aires to Barcelona) in March 2021. We were even able to upgrade our accommodations with the credit provided. Kudos to Viking for how they have been handling their part of this whole COVID19 situation.

 

Love the idea of the "virtual Explorers' Lounge". We can just hear the piano playing lovely music for atmosphere in the background, the murmuring of a dozen different conversation mixed with laughter, and the tinkling of ice in glasses of delicious libations.    

All of this contained on one of Viking's wonderous "magic carpets" of their Star class ocean ships.  

 

Senior Gators

Hello Senior Gators, Hope you are having a good Easter weekend. Glad you booked the March 2021 SAC. My sister and I are looking forward to sailing. We are "Shelter-in-place" and are a bit stir crazy at this point. We are considering booking a Christmas cruise for December 21. I am having Viking withdrawal. 

 

I like the "virtual Explorers' Lounge" I have my wine next to me as I type.  

 

Ruthieofthesea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...