Jump to content

The Virtual Explorers' Lounge


photopro2
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

 

Hi Clay - we also enjoy a proper afternoon tea, with real clotted cream. So the question of the day is - how do you apply the clotted cream & jam. Cornish or Devon method.

 

Personally, I prefer the "Cornish" method, with jam first.😀

You're as bad as my DMIL.   Did you read what I posted?  LOL

240B35B3-872C-4693-8ABA-4272A8169122.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

You're as bad as my DMIL.   Did you read what I posted?  LOL

240B35B3-872C-4693-8ABA-4272A8169122.jpeg

 

Hi Clay - Affirmative, it was your post that prompted me to ask the question. hoping to get some additional discussion going.😀 I should have said, similar to Clay, I prefer jam first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Heidi13 said:

 

Hi Clay - Affirmative, it was your post that prompted me to ask the question. hoping to get some additional discussion going.😀 I should have said, similar to Clay, I prefer jam first.

Oh. I thought it was addressed to me!  I actually prefer what I named, Cornvon Style: smear of clotted cream, jam, then big dollop of more clotted cream 😋

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

High tea will be appropriate on our Bermuda cruise, Bermuda being a BOT and all.  I shall hold up my pinkie finger....  But being summer in Bermuda, perhaps iced tea would be appropriate.  Long-island iced tea that is....  And extra long.  And maybe skip the sweets and finger sandwiches.

No High Tea served aboard Viking. It’s Afternoon Tea-much more high flaluting than High Tea served to the working class. 😂

BA70EE5C-684F-4867-8C85-6CE3E7C0674C.jpeg

6BF12A2E-C928-4A11-AD68-531F4CFD0822.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Oh. I thought it was addressed to me!  I actually prefer what I named, Cornvon Style: smear of clotted cream, jam, then big dollop of more clotted cream 😋


That sounds perfect.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

No High Tea served aboard Viking. It’s Afternoon Tea-much more high flaluting than High Tea served to the working class. 😂

BA70EE5C-684F-4867-8C85-6CE3E7C0674C.jpeg

6BF12A2E-C928-4A11-AD68-531F4CFD0822.jpeg

 

Clay - that's pretty well what we had in Scotland for "High Tea" when I was growing up.

 

We often went to the local pub when we got home from school and the parents finished work on a Friday. The Main Course was traditional pub fare, served with chips/peas, then an abundance of fresh baked goods.

 

Washed down with a pint of "Heavy" - brilliant end to a week.

 

 

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve come into the Explorers Lounge to have a temper tantrum—and a margarita!  Our flight to Iceland leaves in 55 days, almost to the minute, and still no shore ex posted.  We should have been able to book three weeks ago.  Come on Viking.  So much of a trip is anticipation!  Oh, and can I have extra lime please?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I’ve come into the Explorers Lounge to have a temper tantrum—and a margarita!  Our flight to Iceland leaves in 55 days, almost to the minute, and still no shore ex posted.  We should have been able to book three weeks ago.  Come on Viking.  So much of a trip is anticipation!  Oh, and can I have extra lime please?

 

Patience, patience.  We are just having a different kind of anticipation for this journey, that's all.  Think of it this way: When was the last time that you booked a cruise when you didn't have to wait and wait for the shorex to be posted? Booking will still take place at the same pace and in the same order; all category privileges will be upheld. It will just happen a lot closer to departure than normal, that's all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

Patience, patience.  We are just having a different kind of anticipation for this journey, that's all.  Think of it this way: When was the last time that you booked a cruise when you didn't have to wait and wait for the shorex to be posted? Booking will still take place at the same pace and in the same order; all category privileges will be upheld. It will just happen a lot closer to departure than normal, that's all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agreed.  For me, at this point, I would already have my suitcases out and airing, as well as "freshening" my clothing -  NOT thinking about ShoreEx.  Any tour  would have been planned and reserved (private) by at least the 6 month mark, all my spreadsheets would be created, Viking excursions and Chefs Table menus available on line...

Patience for sure.

 

It is not usual Viking service but consider the times.  I am more concerned about my flights being cancelled or changed or missing a connection due delay. I think airlines post Covid start up and expansion into different markets is more dicey then Viking.  

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are already plotting alternatives.  Things are starting to open up more, including some a bit higher on our bucket list than Bermuda...  If we have to jump through all these hoops and take quarantine risk, then it may be better to shoot for something more rewarding.

 

But for DW’s milestone birthday coinciding with this cruise, I would have canceled already, after becoming familiar with all the hoops and risks.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/25/2021 at 7:52 PM, Jim Avery said:

Haha, nobody says it like a Californio.......

 

On 4/25/2021 at 7:39 PM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:


Not trying to offend (much), but what is the attraction of a Mississippi river cruise?  To me the Mississippi is just a drainage ditch for flyover country, that floods a lot...

 

Ragnar, I want you to find your happy place and stay there for a while. Joins us in the Explorers lounge for a drink.. Lots of history on the Mississippi River.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2021 at 10:35 PM, LindaS272 said:


Clay, I vaguely remember something about this on our Nov. 2019 SE Asia cruise on the Orion. I think somebody from the CC M&M said they were going to participate in one in the Wintergarden during tea time, but being an English tea lover, I didn’t pay much attention. I believe I saw them doing this during tea time later on—I think it may be “on request” or may depend on a staff member who knows an Asian tea ceremony.

There was a calming Tea service on our 2017 Cities of Antiquity cruise, If I remember correctly it happened during the regular Tea.

 

We are thinking of booking the Great lakes cruise in 2023. Already booked on the Bermuda cruise for 7/20/21, so looking forward. Off to predinner cocktails in the lounge. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ruthieofthesea said:

There was a calming Tea service on our 2017 Cities of Antiquity cruise, If I remember correctly it happened during the regular Tea.

 

 

Thanks, I'm going to try to remember to ask about it while in Iceland. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Ruthieofthesea said:

There was a calming Tea service on our 2017 Cities of Antiquity cruise, If I remember correctly it happened during the regular Tea.

 

We are thinking of booking the Great lakes cruise in 2023. Already booked on the Bermuda cruise for 7/20/21, so looking forward. Off to predinner cocktails in the lounge. 

 

I am so calm when onboard a Viking ship the last thing I need is "calming tea".  🍸

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Princess Cruises - Medallion Masters!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...