Jump to content

The Virtual Explorers' Lounge


photopro2
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

looks like Nordkapp in your photo

I had to look that one up! North Cape, that you refer to, is farther north. My pic is the globe on (I believe anyway) Vikingen Island marking where the arctic circle passes through. It is possible to view the midnight sun from there. 

 

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Here's to the Midnight Sun and other fabulous adventures.

Here, here!!!  😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I had to look that one up! North Cape, that you refer to, is farther north. My pic is the globe on (I believe anyway) Vikingen Island marking where the arctic circle passes through. It is possible to view the midnight sun from there. 

 

Here, here!!!  😃

Yes!  My view on a cell phone is so small was hard to tell. That was passed during the sea day our way to Tromso I believe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

So was I.....well, until I (and probably everyone else) wasn't. 😉

You make a very good point. I think I need a Baileys and coffee to calm me down now, as I continue to consider a World Cruise. Enjoy your cocktails, everyone.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ruthieofthesea said:

You make a very good point. I think I need a Baileys and coffee to calm me down now, as I continue to consider a World Cruise. Enjoy your cocktails, everyone.

 

Hi Ruthie,

I think I will join you with the Baileys and coffee.  What a pick me up.  You know the first sign of trouble is thinking about a WC.  I'll just add one little thought...  Next year the WC will cost more, and next year we will be a year older....  What's that old saying?  Where there's a will there's a way?  Lots more time in Explorers on a WC.🍹

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Hi Ruthie,

I think I will join you with the Baileys and coffee.  What a pick me up.  You know the first sign of trouble is thinking about a WC.  I'll just add one little thought...  Next year the WC will cost more, and next year we will be a year older....  What's that old saying?  Where there's a will there's a way?  Lots more time in Explorers on a WC.🍹

 

Got to drop the grandson at school shortly, then I'll be up to Explorer's to enjoy a Bloody Mary and a chat about WC's.😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, we have a seat saved for y'all Andy.  You want bacon with that Bloody Mary??

 

Most definitely, a rasher of bacon in the drink and I'll pick up a bacon sarnie at World Cafe en-route. 😁🍺

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need a BIG Bloody Mary with plenty of olives I was just notified that as my Oct 4 Trades Routes sailing has been cancelled and the Venus will be redeployed for welcome back cruises.  I wanna be welcomed back!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

 

Am I the only one seeing “no itineracy available” on MVJ for the 2021 World Cruise?

Are they redoing itinerary to skip India and other hotspots??

 

84BE62CC-A7CB-4285-AA2E-218C12F6B65E.jpeg
Tom

Hi Tom,

Way too early to count on anything.  I won't believe the complete itinerary until we reach Greenwich...🍸

All the best to yall

Jim & Lois

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, knoxclone said:

I need a BIG Bloody Mary with plenty of olives I was just notified that as my Oct 4 Trades Routes sailing has been cancelled and the Venus will be redeployed for welcome back cruises.  I wanna be welcomed back!!!!


Wow, they cancelled it already? It’s 5 months away. I guess they’re assuming some European countries still won’t be open? That’s sobering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like the are "repurposing" the Venus for the new Malta cruises.  We had 5 countries on our itinerary, none of which are either doing well w/ Covid jabs or are not likely to be opening up anytime soon.  My cancellation email today included the following: 

 

"As you likely know, it has now been well over a year since we suspended operations at the start of the pandemic. All of us are ready to get back to business as normal, and while we are making progress, the reopening of international travel will continue to be gradual. Overall, conditions are improving—and some countries are now welcoming cruise ships again. In fact, we recently announced a partial restart of operations and our new collection of Welcome Back voyages available exclusively for vaccinated guests, with sailings in the UK, Bermuda and Iceland beginning later this spring. Today, we are also pleased to announce additional sailing dates for those itineraries and new Welcome Back voyages that call in Malta, Greece and Croatia – all popular destinations that are committed to welcoming Viking ships in 2021.  "...

 

...While these recent developments are encouraging, a variety of restrictions in some regions of the world continue to make cruise ship travel complicated at this time—especially itineraries that visit multiple countries. As such, we have made the difficult decision to cancel select ocean itineraries that are affected by these limitations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tom.in.nc said:

 

Am I the only one seeing “no itineracy available” on MVJ for the 2021 World Cruise?

Are they redoing itinerary to skip India and other hotspots??

 

84BE62CC-A7CB-4285-AA2E-218C12F6B65E.jpeg
Tom

 

As long as you can still find the cruise listed on the Viking website, it is not quite time to start worrying.

 

If it is gone from the website and inaccessible on MVJ, it is time to be concerned. The longer this state of affairs continues, the more concerned you may allow yourself to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

As long as you can still find the cruise listed on the Viking website, it is not quite time to start worrying.

 

If it is gone from the website and inaccessible on MVJ, it is time to be concerned. The longer this state of affairs continues, the more concerned you may allow yourself to be.

One can't count on that. For example the web site shows two Orion cruises this Fall starting in Vancouver that are both shown as "SOLD OUT" for all classes.  However, given the announcement today from Mr Hagen:

 "we have made the decision to cancel select previously scheduled 2021 departures on Viking Jupiter, Viking Sea, Viking Sky, Viking Star and Viking Venus. Additional operational complexities in some destinations require us to cancel further departures through the remainder of the 2021 season in Alaska, as well as in Russia and Ukraine." 

I am concluding that these two Orion cruises are effectively canceled. I just wish they'd remove the August 27,  2021 sailings of North Pacific Passage and Far East & Alaska. Or are they waiting on when Canada reopens its border which right now is closed? I have two other examples like this where I see a conflict.

 

Regardless, I'm thrilled about the news of the 4 Welcome Back cruises planned for this Summer.

 

With regards to the World Cruise I'm pretty confident it's happening; the question may be the ports of call that may have to be adjusted in reaction to local conditions. Anyway - by next Spring India ought to be OK. Think positive!😊

Edited by CharTrav
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

How come Viking doesn’t feature fit and glamorous couples in their promotional material/website like the luxury cruise lines do?

 

 

 

(I’m glad, though.....)

 

The fit, glamorous couples usually require umbrellas to protect them from the wind. Since Viking  has no umbralla drinks, it isn't a good fit for them.😁🍺

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

How come Viking doesn’t feature fit and glamorous couples in their promotional material/website like the luxury cruise lines do?

 

 

 

(I’m glad, though.....)


They do. Their models are over 50 but are fit and attractive. They’re more glamorous than I am, but that’s a low bar. 


 

781CD58C-F3A1-4AFA-991A-D36E07732119.jpeg

4BD276B6-98D4-4FA9-BE67-FF7B7E03DCD2.jpeg

Edited by Twitchly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

How come Viking doesn’t feature fit and glamorous couples in their promotional material/website like the luxury cruise lines do?

 

 

 

(I’m glad, though.....)

It hardly gets any more glamorous than this fit pair of prime manhood......🍸

5CBB9003-6D35-47D5-8AE2-3CA1A2A47C91_1_105_c.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Haha, I hadn’t looked at most of the lux lines since covid started.  They have all “frumptized” their models, except, of course, Silversea:

 

image.thumb.png.546cf470a4497ef82c77dc0c6fcfbaf2.png


Wow. I am so not their target customer. That ad is a total turnoff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2021 at 4:11 PM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Interesting article on “gate rudders” for you old seadogs:

 

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/trials-proceeding-on-revolutionary-gate-rudder-design

 

A variation on a theme.  For a long time now, Naval Architects have hated the idea of a "free swimming" propeller and rudder. There have been Flanking Rudders, Kort Nozzles (as well as other type nozzles), and any number of bottom shaping techniques.  There were even the notorious Grim Wheels attached to the propellers of the QE2 early in her career.  Ugly, weird, and a failure.  One thing is for certain.  There are some things better left out of reach of Ragnars........  Raggy, step away from the controls......😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways Announces an Extended Season on the Douro River
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...