Jump to content

The Virtual Explorers' Lounge


photopro2
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

I appreciate the thought behind the question but although I could not be happier that people are back in the real Explorers' lounge (looking at you Clay!) I do feel that there is still a need for this imaginary space too.

 

As Twitchly put it so well:

 

That seems a very good solution to avoid having a tread a mile long - maybe our moderator could look at setting it up for this topic?

 

Now, I quite fancy a limoncello but would that be an unpatriotic choice given what happened at Wembley? Maybe I should have a Scotch? 😉

Limoncello is much more a Summer drink.... Follow it with a frozen Margarita...😱

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, photopro2 said:

I appreciate the thought behind the question but although I could not be happier that people are back in the real Explorers' lounge (looking at you Clay!) I do feel that there is still a need for this imaginary space too.

 

As Twitchly put it so well:

 

That seems a very good solution to avoid having a tread a mile long - maybe our moderator could look at setting it up for this topic?

 

Now, I quite fancy a limoncello but would that be an unpatriotic choice given what happened at Wembley? Maybe I should have a Scotch? 😉

I don't know...I love the length of this and have been watching for months now as it grows and grows.  It would be interesting to see just how long it could get....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Virtual Explorers' Lounge Appears Virtually Empty tonight. Isn’t Laslo, Kiki, or King playing this evening or is it Music Trivia night with Gary Jerry and Elmer?

Either way, I’ll have my Balvenie single malt neat.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tom.in.nc said:

The Virtual Explorers' Lounge Appears Virtually Empty tonight. Isn’t Laslo, Kiki, or King playing this evening or is it Music Trivia night with Gary Jerry and Elmer?

Either way, I’ll have my Balvenie single malt neat.

 

Is there some other way to have it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, photopro2 said:

I appreciate the thought behind the question but although I could not be happier that people are back in the real Explorers' lounge (looking at you Clay!) I do feel that there is still a need for this imaginary space too.

 

As Twitchly put it so well:

 

That seems a very good solution to avoid having a tread a mile long - maybe our moderator could look at setting it up for this topic?

 

Now, I quite fancy a limoncello but would that be an unpatriotic choice given what happened at Wembley? Maybe I should have a Scotch? 😉

I enjoyed our time in the IRL Explorer’s Lounge but happy to be back at the Virtual One also. Though I have to admit I prefer the Aquavit Terrace. You get fresh air as well as crab legs, shrimp and sushi!😂

311C8B24-83E6-4D91-8730-42369699E7D3.jpeg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We rarely do room service but we had a very early dinner one night and none of the desserts appealed to us. So after being back in the room we ordered some. Mike doesn’t have a sweet tooth like me so he ordered the pear and Prosciutto appetizer and I got the apple pie. Both were delicious and have been added to my ongoing list of Viking foods I suggest to newbies. (Breakfast lamb chops anyone?😂)

 

Oh, we have never had a special occasion onboard before but we celebrated Mike’s Mom’s birthday this trip. The cake they brought to dinner at The Chef’s Table was probably the best cake we’ve had onboard. Methinks we will always have a celebration of some sort on future cruises! 🤫

BF39E697-FCD0-4305-B550-D716356253A6.jpeg

D522EC66-62DD-488A-B894-67DAADE3F3E6.jpeg

E415139B-2EC6-4712-9338-55C1CA7DFF16.jpeg

DDD9AF1E-4ADF-492E-9979-AF1D826EA79C.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We rarely do room service but we had a very early dinner one night and none of the desserts appealed to us. So after being back in the room we ordered some. Mike doesn’t have a sweet tooth like me so he ordered the pear and Prosciutto appetizer and I got the apple pie. Both were delicious and have been added to my ongoing list of Viking foods I suggest to newbies. (Breakfast lamb chops anyone?😂)

 

Oh, we have never had a special occasion onboard before but we celebrated Mike’s Mom’s birthday this trip. The cake they brought to dinner at The Chef’s Table was probably the best cake we’ve had onboard. Methinks we will always have a celebration of some sort on future cruises! 🤫

I watched a UK only cruiser's vlog of his 10 favorite Viking foods.  The apple pie made the top ten.  Manfredi's carbonara and panna cotta were also on that list.  My list of foods and drinks to try is growing so I'm glad our cruise is 14 days long!  🙂  Lamb chops and pistachio bun are on the list too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We rarely do room service but we had a very early dinner one night and none of the desserts appealed to us. So after being back in the room we ordered some. Mike doesn’t have a sweet tooth like me so he ordered the pear and Prosciutto appetizer and I got the apple pie. Both were delicious and have been added to my ongoing list of Viking foods I suggest to newbies. (Breakfast lamb chops anyone?😂)

 

Oh, we have never had a special occasion onboard before but we celebrated Mike’s Mom’s birthday this trip. The cake they brought to dinner at The Chef’s Table was probably the best cake we’ve had onboard. Methinks we will always have a celebration of some sort on future cruises! 🤫

BF39E697-FCD0-4305-B550-D716356253A6.jpeg

D522EC66-62DD-488A-B894-67DAADE3F3E6.jpeg

E415139B-2EC6-4712-9338-55C1CA7DFF16.jpeg

DDD9AF1E-4ADF-492E-9979-AF1D826EA79C.jpeg

 

Wow, they really do go overboard.

 

We had Judi's birthday just before we disembarked Viking Sun. In addition to the regular menu they also made 2 of her favourites - french onion soup & beef wellingtom. Then the Chef brought out a cake, which may have resulted in some moisture from the eyes.

 

A truly amazing dinner.

 

1570315328_DinnerApr9thJudisbirthdaycake1024.thumb.jpg.940996c4c0a7519e85b451f20665f3bd.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We rarely do room service but we had a very early dinner one night and none of the desserts appealed to us. So after being back in the room we ordered some. Mike doesn’t have a sweet tooth like me so he ordered the pear and Prosciutto appetizer and I got the apple pie. Both were delicious and have been added to my ongoing list of Viking foods I suggest to newbies. (Breakfast lamb chops anyone?😂)

 

Oh, we have never had a special occasion onboard before but we celebrated Mike’s Mom’s birthday this trip. The cake they brought to dinner at The Chef’s Table was probably the best cake we’ve had onboard. Methinks we will always have a celebration of some sort on future cruises! 🤫

BF39E697-FCD0-4305-B550-D716356253A6.jpeg

D522EC66-62DD-488A-B894-67DAADE3F3E6.jpeg

E415139B-2EC6-4712-9338-55C1CA7DFF16.jpeg

DDD9AF1E-4ADF-492E-9979-AF1D826EA79C.jpeg

I want that cake. Now.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

 

Wow, they really do go overboard.

 

We had Judi's birthday just before we disembarked Viking Sun. In addition to the regular menu they also made 2 of her favourites - french onion soup & beef wellingtom. Then the Chef brought out a cake, which may have resulted in some moisture from the eyes.

 

A truly amazing dinner.

 

1570315328_DinnerApr9thJudisbirthdaycake1024.thumb.jpg.940996c4c0a7519e85b451f20665f3bd.jpg

That onion soup is so good but it’s way too big a portion. Poor DMIL had to leave about half of it even after Mike and I both “helped” her

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This post might be appropriate for this forum, after Clay and Heidi's great food shots.  We are straying from Oceania to try the Viking Sea next month.  I have done some homework on Viking, but have a burning question.  Will I find Tobasco on the Sea, or have to bring my own for my morning omelet?  It is an essential food group for me.  Also, how is the contemporary fiction selection on board?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, PBtroy said:

This post might be appropriate for this forum, after Clay and Heidi's great food shots.  We are straying from Oceania to try the Viking Sea next month.  I have done some homework on Viking, but have a burning question.  Will I find Tobasco on the Sea, or have to bring my own for my morning omelet?  It is an essential food group for me.  Also, how is the contemporary fiction selection on board?

Yes, as recently as a couple of weeks ago on our Iceland cruise, I saw a big bottle on display in the world cafe.  That said, Viking isn’t known for its hot and spicy food.  I remember one day on our WC, out of nowhere, a big bowl of diced Jalepenos appeared one day at lunch.  My husband and I each took a big spoonful and put it on whatever, we were so hungry for a bit of heat!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, PBtroy said:

This post might be appropriate for this forum, after Clay and Heidi's great food shots.  We are straying from Oceania to try the Viking Sea next month.  I have done some homework on Viking, but have a burning question.  Will I find Tobasco on the Sea, or have to bring my own for my morning omelet?  It is an essential food group for me.  Also, how is the contemporary fiction selection on board?

Speaking pre covid and on the Viking Sun, yes Tabasco, the staff of life, is at each bar and readily available at all the eating venues upon request.  Again, pre covid, a normal sized bottle was brought to the table.  As a Southern boy, last name Avery, I was raised on the stuff.  And, unfortunately, I am not related to those 

Avery Island folks.   Probably the best advice I can think of is if you want something and don't see it, just ask.  Don't think I have ever been told "no" by any crew...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, guys.  I sorta thought I'd not get my usual incendiary fare, but the food sure looks good.  And yes, I use the Kindle app on my tablet.  Works great.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PBtroy said:

This post might be appropriate for this forum, after Clay and Heidi's great food shots.  We are straying from Oceania to try the Viking Sea next month.  I have done some homework on Viking, but have a burning question.  Will I find Tobasco on the Sea, or have to bring my own for my morning omelet?  It is an essential food group for me.  Also, how is the contemporary fiction selection on board?

 

We assisted the Cruise staff with the very extensive book inventory aboard Viking Sun. They have well over 1,000 books distributed throughout the ship. Unlike other ships, the entire library is based on the honour system and you are welcome to take any book at any time.

 

As Jim mentioned, they are mostly non-fiction, but they did have some. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, looking good Tom.  I hope my name is still on the back of the chair....🍸

 

Naw, I heard your perch was removed from the Sun before it headed to China. Now in storage in Acona, Italy awaiting construction of the Neptune.😁

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually those two chairs, mine and the one on my right, are blocked off for social distancing.  I had to get permission to sit there for the photo shoot.

So, Your throne will remain unoccupied for this cruise.

 

Tom

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2021 at 10:39 AM, Twitchly said:

Re: books — a Kindle is a fabulous travel companion. I never leave home without it.

After you read your books may we assume you then put it in the leave and take space?🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...