RC Cruises extends global suspension until May 12th, for now.

We are sure looking forward to hitting our 50th cruise.  Also getting excited about getting on Oasis class!  Now, we are on a ship that needs the propulsion repaired and a 5 year dry dock.  The cruise is in one of the virus epicenters.  No one knows what will happen in 6 weeks let alone 6 months.  Hopefully RCCL and others can weather the storm from a financial standpoint.  Soooo looking forward to getting our cruising back.  Remember the complaints about cold entrees and bad service in the dining room?  Maybe this is a good time to reflect and put reviews on for cruises we did not review!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ATG said:

Not unexpected, but I really wish I had booked May 10 instead of May 17.  The uncertainty is driving me crazy.  I guess I have to wait another month.

ATG, I too am booked May 17th. Still holding out hope. 

1 hour ago, Zeashore said:

Same here, same cruise psuboater.   My bucket list will have to wait..... 

This would have been our third trip there. Keep it in mind for your next cruise - it's absolutely worth the wait 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

Bye Bye $18 drink package🍹🍺

I know. Us too!  However, I just went into my cruise planner and it says I may be able to opt to receive 125% onboard credit for my cruise planner purchases instead of getting a refund. I have to decide by April 8. Has anyone else seen that in their cruise planners?

Edited by KelJ

3 hours ago, Kteacher said:

It gets a little trickier for us. We can only travel during school vacations. If I cancel the flights now they credit from the airline will expire before April school vacation 2021. Winter breaks are out as my husband does snow plowing from November -March. I always buy travel insurance, but of course pandemic is one of the exclusions 😐. Of course being April school vacation week the flights we purchased back in September were $$$$$.

Hold off cancelling the airfare just in case the airline either A) cancels the flight themselves, meaning they’ll owe you a 100% cash refund, or B) changes the flight time by more than 2 hours (or maybe it’s 3?) because they automatically give you the option at that point to either get your money back or change your flight. 

I cancelled my cruise today, got my deposit refunded as well as my drink packages. It isn’t until the beginning of June but final payment was tomorrow and I didn’t want to play the waiting game trying to see if RC would cancel the cruise and refund me 100%, or have to use my insurance and lose the 25% I’d forfeit in the event I decided myself that I’m still not comfortable flying overseas for the vacation.

Im waiting out the airfare portion because at this point I can either get 75% cash back through my insurance or a 100% airline credit anytime from now til 48 hours before the flight. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, KelJ said:

I know. Us too!  However, I just went into my cruise planner and it says I may be able to opt to receive 125% onboard credit for my cruise planner purchases instead of getting a refund. I have to decide by April 8. Has anyone else seen that in their cruise planners?

Yup.  You can refund your $18 or get FCC for it to be $22.50.  But, on your cruise it will probably be around $50 on your sailing, so you pay the difference and lose in the long run.  

I had the $18 on a TA, but when they changed the dates, and they wiped out the $18 and refunded it.  New price was around $45.  🍷

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Yup.  You can refund your $18 or get FCC for it to be $22.50.  But, on your cruise it will probably be around $50 on your sailing, so you pay the difference and lose in the long run.  

I had the $18 on a TA, but when they changed the dates, and they wiped out the $18 and refunded it.  New price was around $45.  🍷

In addition to the drink packages, we had also booked 5-night dining packages and an internet package. 

1 hour ago, TomTerrific said:

I assume the refund will include any pre-purchased excursions? What about OBC?

No obc will be given as it was never cash , it was a complimentary credit. 

all prepaid if you paid for them excursions will be refunded. If you booked them with OBC you won’t get anything 

2 hours ago, firefox247 said:

All the cruise lines register their ships in foreign countries to avoid US labor laws and to avoid paying much (if anything) in US taxes.  Having the US government bail out (or even help out) a company that so clearly desires to avoid US taxes and the expensive US labor market is political poison.

If they do not want to be subject to the Jones Act, then they can flag their vessels in the US.  Otherwise, they can hit up the Bahamas--where nearly all their ships are registered--for some corporate welfare until all this passes.

Every major corporation that does business in the US does everything in their power to avoid paying US taxes.  Remember the cruise lines are NOT US entities. 
the cruise lines will get US government assistance in the form of low or. I interest loans if desired. 
the cruise industry has a huge economic impact in the US. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

30 minutes ago, KelJ said:

I saw that wording too and wondered about why it said obc not fcc

I would like to get some of it as obc.

3 minutes ago, Midwestgal said:

No obc will be given as it was never cash , it was a complimentary credit. 

all prepaid if you paid for them excursions will be refunded. If you booked them with OBC you won’t get anything 

Even that is in question. I saw you could get a 125% fcc on your prepaid, drinks tips etc. if you apply by 4/8

Edited by firefly333