Cruise Cancelled. I'll take the refund, but what about the insurance we paid?

Since Royal has cancelled all cruises thru May 12, our May 10-17 Oasis sailing is also toast.  As I always do, I had purchased a travel policy thru Allianz in February.  I have been perusing the policy literature and the web site and the only thing I could find was a statement that the policy amount is non-refundable after a 10-day "change-your-mind" period.  This is a unique situation, however, as the cruise line cancelled the sailing.  Since Royal will reimburse with a full refund, the insurance is unnecessary.  I am wondering, therefore, if Allianz will also refund the amount I paid for the policy; if they will make an exception to the non-refundable rule.  For those of you who have had bookings cancelled, what happened with your insurance purchases?  Did you get a refund or did you lose it?

23 minutes ago, st5310 said:

Since Royal has cancelled all cruises thru May 12, our May 10-17 Oasis sailing is also toast.  As I always do, I had purchased a travel policy thru Allianz in February.  I have been perusing the policy literature and the web site and the only thing I could find was a statement that the policy amount is non-refundable after a 10-day "change-your-mind" period.  This is a unique situation, however, as the cruise line cancelled the sailing.  Since Royal will reimburse with a full refund, the insurance is unnecessary.  I am wondering, therefore, if Allianz will also refund the amount I paid for the policy; if they will make an exception to the non-refundable rule.  For those of you who have had bookings cancelled, what happened with your insurance purchases?  Did you get a refund or did you lose it?

I doubt that you'll see a refund. That's like insuring your car for 4 months, selling it, and then trying to get a refund for the 4 months of coverage. I am working with insuremytrip.com to try to get the policy we purchased for April flights to be transferred to our new itinerary in October and that might be a possibility if you are rescheduling your trip.

Edited by sparks1093

PLAN REFUND INFORMATION

Customers may change their plan’s effective dates to cover a new or rescheduled trip.  Alternatively, for a temporary period, we are offering refunds for the cost of your travel protection plan to customers who wish to cancel their travel protection plan if the customer’s travel supplier canceled the customer’s trip due to COVID-19, so long as no payable claim has been filed under the plan.  Please call us at the number listed on your plan and we will be happy to assist you.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/coverage-alerts/2019-novel-coronavirus.htm

4 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

PLAN REFUND INFORMATION

Customers may change their plan’s effective dates to cover a new or rescheduled trip.  Alternatively, for a temporary period, we are offering refunds for the cost of your travel protection plan to customers who wish to cancel their travel protection plan if the customer’s travel supplier canceled the customer’s trip due to COVID-19, so long as no payable claim has been filed under the plan.  Please call us at the number listed on your plan and we will be happy to assist you.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/coverage-alerts/2019-novel-coronavirus.htm

Excellent, Heymarco, thank you.  I'll call Allianz later this morning.  I may just transfer the policy to one of our July cruises, although my first inclination is to take the cash.  The way things are going, our July back-to-backs may cancel as well.

14 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

PLAN REFUND INFORMATION

Great information and good for Allianz.

Allianz, thru Chase Cards, is also the company that' s reviewing my claim for reimbursement for April 12 Harmony OTS that I cancelled due to medical issues.  This was March 5 and a day prior to the RCL's announcement of Cruise with Confidence.  Will see what comes of it.

I have an update to my original post.  I spoke with an Allianz customer service rep within the past hour.  She confirmed what was posted by Heymarco earlier in this thread, that Allianz will refund the amount paid if the cruise line cancelled due to COVID-19.  I was told I would need to contact sales support via email (salessupport@allianzassistance.com) with confirmation that I opted for the refund and not the Future Cruise Credit.  If, however, I opt for the credit, Allianz will transfer the policy to another booking.

That's righteous, IMO.  Thank you all for your replies.

Just now, RWMike said:

How about Royals Trip Interruption Insurance, will it be refunded?

I would imagine so since it was likely included in your original payment.  Not 100% positive about that, so I'll defer to someone who may have direct confirmation of that.  You might be served better by getting the answer right from the horse's mouth; call or email Royal with the question.  Earlier the better.

11 minutes ago, RWMike said:

How about Royals Trip Interruption Insurance, will it be refunded?

I believe that is what they are talking about.  Royal uses Allianz.  See previous posts particularly #8

Edited by Ourusualbeach
16 minutes ago, st5310 said:

I would imagine so since it was likely included in your original payment.  Not 100% positive about that, so I'll defer to someone who may have direct confirmation of that.  You might be served better by getting the answer right from the horse's mouth; call or email Royal with the question.  Earlier the better.

Deleted 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
33 minutes ago, st5310 said:

I have an update to my original post.  I spoke with an Allianz customer service rep within the past hour.  She confirmed what was posted by Heymarco earlier in this thread, that Allianz will refund the amount paid if the cruise line cancelled due to COVID-19.  I was told I would need to contact sales support via email (salessupport@allianzassistance.com) with confirmation that I opted for the refund and not the Future Cruise Credit.  If, however, I opt for the credit, Allianz will transfer the policy to another booking.

That's righteous, IMO.  Thank you all for your replies.

Thank you for circling back with an update!! This helps us a lot. We have another cruise booked Jan. 2020 and think we will take the 125% FCC and apply it to that. Now I know Allianz will transfer the policy to another booking too. I appreciate this great info. Good for Allianz too!

42 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Thank you for circling back with an update!! This helps us a lot. We have another cruise booked Jan. 2020 and think we will take the 125% FCC and apply it to that. Now I know Allianz will transfer the policy to another booking too. I appreciate this great info. Good for Allianz too!

You're welcome, but the FCC may not apply to cruises already booked.  Promise me you'll confirm that with Royal. 

32 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

Royal specifically stated that any travel protection purchased thru them for the second wave of cancellations will be refunded to the original form of payment (in their FAQs for TAs). 

That's fine by me too. I actually didn't even think we would get the $ back, so it's a bonus either way.

4 hours ago, Heymarco said:

PLAN REFUND INFORMATION

I also spoke to an Allianz rep.  This is what she also told me.  However, I  could not do this thru email. I have an old computer.  So she said to send the request via regular mail with a letter stating that my cruise had been canceled.  Also attached a copy of this letter which shows that your cruise was canceled due to the corona virus. Include in the letter your policy # and your travel dates.I said that I was requesting a full refund of the premium.  She said I would be getting a full refund to my credit card.  That was 3/16.  As of today 3/25 I have NOT received the credit to my cc. They are probably super busy.  Allianz - Sales Support  P.O. 72031  Richmond,VA  23255