Deposit made final payment date approaching

Nw1030

8 minutes ago, Nw1030 said:

Are people making payments for July and August trips or just losing deposits 

My final payment for a 27 August cruise is late May, 2 months from now.  I'm in the "wait and see" mode at the present time.  🍷

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Nw1030 said:

Are people making payments for July and August trips or just losing deposits 

Would Definately wait until the final payment date. That is some weeks away.  If COVID is still active - likely - at some point Celebrity will need to cancel more cruises and possibly extend CWC.  If it were me I would eliminate the stress and take a $200 hit if I lived in the US with a NRD.  Airline fare is probably refundable on all tickets if there is a flight change of more than 60 minutes.

Why stress?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, az_tchr said:

If it were me I would eliminate the stress and take a $200 hit if I lived in the US with a NRD. 

The problem is it is only a $200 hit if you take the rest of your NRD as FCC which requires you to book a new cruise. If you straight cancel, you lose your entire deposit if before final payment. After final, you lose an increasing percentage as the sail date gets closer.

So, with final approaching, if you are wanting to cruise again, canceling and getting the NRD as FCC minus the $200 fee works fine (ignoring whether the FCC covers the new cruise, and the divvying up of the deposit per pax). But since they aren't suspending cruises until they all have gone into final, you have to pay the rest of the fare if you want to gamble that it will be cancelled eventually so you get full (or extra) value of the FCC (no refunds, apparently) with no hit.

It is a pretty shady way of holding back on their decision making to fudge the books. Glad I am not a cruise company accountant. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mayleeman said:

The problem is it is only a $200 hit if you take the rest of your NRD as FCC which requires you to book a new cruise. If you straight cancel, you lose your entire deposit if before final payment. After final, you lose an increasing percentage as the sail date gets closer.

So, with final approaching, if you are wanting to cruise again, canceling and getting the NRD as FCC minus the $200 fee works fine (ignoring whether the FCC covers the new cruise, and the divvying up of the deposit per pax). But since they aren't suspending cruises until they all have gone into final, you have to pay the rest of the fare if you want to gamble that it will be cancelled eventually so you get full (or extra) value of the FCC (no refunds, apparently) with no hit.

It is a pretty shady way of holding back on their decision making to fudge the books. Glad I am not a cruise company accountant. 

I have a NRD for a July 2020 sailing.  I could be wrong, but the Cruise with Confidence policy seems to say that for sailings prior to 7/31/20 if you cancel prior to Final Payment Date you would get your full deposit back in the form of a FCC without a $200 reduction. From their website:

Q: What happens if you decide you are not interested in getting a Future
cruise Credit and simply wish to cancel for a refund, what are the options? 

A: If you wish to cancel prior to final payment, you can absolutely do so for a full refund of all monies paid to-date, and the nonrefundable deposits will be returned in the form of a FCC. After final payment, the standard cancellation penalties apply for guests not interested in taking advantage of the Cruise with Confidence policy    

So disgusted at this point.  I'd get out  with the least hit and get real money back to your card...even if it takes  very long to come through. I  would not send them even more money to hoard!

On the other hand,  if you do make final payment  and X  cancels ( likely) you will get a full refund.

We are planning to use up our fcc and then look for other vacation options. !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

If I cancel my August cruises prior to final payment, I will get my deposits back.  Why would you not?

Not if you live in UK, we loose deposits if we cancel.

However, I phoned our TA yesterday and said I was not prepared to pay on 3rd. May for a cruise on a ship ( Silhouette TA cancelled 17th April) that might not be brought to Southampton. She rang Celebrity and they have extended the payment date to 5th June, which it would be if we had booked direct with Celebrity.

5 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

Does anyone know if we can transfer our August cruise deposit($900) with $200 of that as the NRD, to another cruise next year instead of canceling?

Hal

I'm sure you can do that -- move your cruise to a different date/sailing, but I believe they won't wave the $200 NRD.  I would contact your TA.  🍷

17 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

If I cancel my August cruises prior to final payment, I will get my deposits back.  Why would you not?

I cancelled my July Bermuda cruise had only paid $125 CDN and received that amount as a FCC. 

18 hours ago, Lane412000 said:

Final payment due for my July 4, 2020 cruise and I made the final payment yesterday.  Went all in

I appreciate your optimism, but I'm not sure I understand making the final payment before the beginning of July.  I would just as soon not have Celebrity hold my money and I don't understand why you take the additional risk of things going really bad.  Then you may have difficulty getting your money back from Celebrity.

18 hours ago, mayleeman said:

As already said - if you booked with a NRD then you get your deposit back less $100pp if cancelled prior to final payment date. You do not lose your entire deposit unless it was $200.  Anything over $200 is refunded.  You are not using Cruise with Confidence. Just a straight cancellation. Nothing shady.

Edited by az_tchr

2 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

As already said - if you booked with a NRD then you get your deposit back less $100pp if cancelled prior to final payment date. You do not lose your entire deposit unless it was $200.  Nothing shady.

Isn't that only for the Cruise With Confidence cruises? You still lose entire NRD for cruises beyond that period, don't you?

5 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Isn't that only for the Cruise With Confidence cruises? You still lose entire NRD for cruises beyond that period, don't you?

These are standard terms for NRD in the US/Canada if cancelling prior to final payment.  The remainder of the deposit is returned in form of FCC.

5 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

These are standard terms for NRD in the US/Canada if cancelling prior to final payment.  The remainder of the deposit is returned in form of FCC.

That was my original statement--FCC, not refund. The post I was responding to said you get the depost back minus the fee. My original post's point was about the dichotomy between getting FCC (you might not be able to use) if you cancel before final versus getting a refund if you pay full fare and the cruise gets cancelled by the line after final.

Edited by mayleeman

For a cruise 3 months away I'm not going to gamble $300 in FCC (or I guess the whole deposit) hoping that the cruise gets cancelled by Celebrity.  After all it was me that agreed to the NRD terms when I booked.  This isn't my fault but it's not theirs either.

The cruise lines are not getting a bailout. We have recouped all our deposits and flight moneys.

I am sure all of you are aware that FCCs may be worthless if there is no inventory to apply them to. I hope I am wrong. Someone on CC just wrote that they made final payment and are hoping for the best. And I wish them all the best, but throwing your money at the wind , hoping  it comes back to you , is foolish. Again, I hope I am wrong. 

34 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@ipeeinthepool Maybe with Royal upping their credit line to over $2 billion, and with the stock rising 60% from its low, there might be more optimism about the prospects of the company surviving without bankruptcy.

I see this as RCI going into further debt. Nothing good can come out of that. Wish I could see the glass half full here.

19 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The thing is that not everbody knows how it works. Such a simple operation sounds to difficult to execute for some. People mostly lose money due to being unaware or not educated enough. People are used to pay for things and getting what they paid for. For some its a holiday when they find out that they can get their money back. As for deposit payments, in 99% of the cases people let them stay in the office..