Cancelled apex cruise

DAN 60

Following advice from the U.K. government, over 70s should not travel on cruise ship's due to the virus, So we cancelled our APEX cruise from southampton on the 13th April.

At that time we were told we would loss two third's of our cost, so thinking we would have lost all our money at one time we agreed and cancelled.

Now we find celebrity have cancelled the cruise and have offered refund's, but not to us because we cancelled before they cancelled.   

Is it fare as the cruise is not taking  place anyway shouldn't we have a complete refund.

That's not how it generally works.

We cancelled Summit under Cruise with Confidence  when the offer was 50 % cruise refund and 50% future credit.

Cruise was recently cancelled with the others who hung in there now getting 100% refund.

We did not wait so we get the deal we accepted with no  other expectations.  No idea if UK consumer rules might differ.

I've seen this before and the truth is, if you cancel, your booking is removed. That means whatever happens AFTER you cancel does not apply! If you had stayed with the booking and the cruise is cancelled, then, and only then do you get whatever is offered.

We were due to go to Alaska in May on Princess and it's obvious that it will be cancelled. However, we would have moved into a 50% cancellation fee if we didn't cancel by the 22nd, so I went ahead and cancelled on Saturday. When they do go ahead and officially cancel, I suspect we are likely to be offered at least 125% future cruise credit or 50% refund and 50% (+) FCC, but I didn't want my money tied up like that. If the offer is fantastic, tough on us.

Is it fair? Not really, but it IS a fact!

Edited by Guindalf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DAN 60 said:

Following advice from the U.K. government, over 70s should not travel on cruise ship's due to the virus, So we cancelled our APEX cruise from southampton on the 13th April.

At that time we were told we would loss two third's of our cost, so thinking we would have lost all our money at one time we agreed and cancelled.

Now we find celebrity have cancelled the cruise and have offered refund's, but not to us because we cancelled before they cancelled.   

Is it fare as the cruise is not taking  place anyway shouldn't we have a complete refund.

If life were fair then the answer is YES.  You were just being proactive and following common sense.  I am assuming you did not have "Cancel for Any Reason" travel insurance.  Maybe try to contact higher level folks at Celebrity to see if they will do anything for you like some sort of FCC.  Probably not going to get a cash refund.   That would set a precedent that Celebrity would not do for you as there are many others in this situation. Asking for FCC is worth a try but don't have any expectations.

2 hours ago, hcat said:

That's not how it generally works.

We cancelled Summit under Cruise with Confidence  when the offer was 50 % cruise refund and 50% future credit.

Cruise was recently cancelled with the others who hung in there now getting 100% refund.

We did not wait so we get the deal we accepted with no  other expectations.  No idea if UK consumer rules might differ.

UK rules are completely different.  Also sadly you cancelled before the policy went into effect.  Thus you are not eligible for the new policy.  Sort of the same going to the store and buying an item that went on sale the next day.

11 hours ago, DAN 60 said:

We were booked on the 1st April Apex preview cruise from Southampton and knew that we would not be allowed to board with existing health conditions. However, we decided to wait until a week before the cruise before cancelling in the hope that Celebrity would join the other cruise lines and cancel all cruises for this period. And it worked out that way - even though we are still waiting for our refund to be processed.  You made the choice to cancel early so it's hard to see how they could give you a complete refund now. 

Sandra

Edited by dides

This is exactly why I did not cancel before Celebrity cancelled for me.  Likewise, I have not yet cancelled my airfare since the airline is currently only waiving change fees or offering future credit, but once they cancel the flight you are entitled to a refund.

We have contacted celebrity and as expected, they will not make a complete refund as we cancelled the cruise before 

they did. We did explain we were acting on government advice for over 70s but this didn’t seem to make any difference.

thank’s to everyone who replied.

6 hours ago, DAN 60 said:

We did explain we were acting on government advice for over 70s but this didn’t seem to make any difference.

Have you tried your insurance company?

As it’s on the Gov. UK web site, Martin Lewis says that insurance companies should refund.

E667EF67-94AA-4EAB-9D72-6F9CDCE59905.png

Yes, you were working on Govt advice, but the advice wasn’t to cancel immediately. It’s the same as so many earlier posts, back when everything wasn’t about COVID-19, about how prices dropped after final payment and so many were upset they didn’t get the price drop because they had made reservations early and paid. 

I cancelled (on another Line) a cruise and got a FCC, and a week later, the Line cancelled and those who still had bookings got 125% FCC. I didn’t go back to them to complain because that is what I decided to do and that is how it works out. Just as I’m watching the US Market drop and I didn’t sell stock. I can’t now go and say, “I want to sell at the price listed 2 weeks ago’. You cancelled to get your money that was allowed and you got it. 

And I realize you may feel those of us telling you ‘that’s life’ are not in your shoes, many of us are. 

Den

• Like 2