P&O are still aiming for May cruises to go ahead ???

4 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Most insurance policies will still cover if you fall ill due to COVID-19, they are just saying that they won't pay up if you have to cancel your cruise because of it. The situation continues to evolve and once it's under control, I'm sure insurance companies will review their position. No one will travel anywhere if every insurer refuses to cover so will put themselves out of business along with airlines, cruise companies, hotels etc etc. The current position is a temporary one. 

Our insurance covers us for existing bookings and covoid medical for new bookings, but not disruption on new bookings. Feeling quite smug till I realised everybody is cancelling our bookings so we won't be going anywhere. So the expensive annual worldwide+USA with cruise cover and disruption would have been in place for 2 long weekends in England. Come on P&O, please take us to Norway in August.😁

19 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I completely agree with that!

P&O are most likely going to manage cancellations in 4 week blocks to ease cash flow. Interesting that their IT can still manage to generate emails encouraging customers to part with yet more money for them to then hold hostage, yet is incapable of paying out money that customers have a legitimate right to get back. I refer to the Cruise Personaliser which hasn’t allowed pre paid Select Dining reservations and excursions to be refunded for at least a week now. Funny that.

I have been so lucky. I decided to cancel my one excursion (just in case)  the day before P&O cancelled our cruise so the refund was back in my account within hours.

Still waiting for the money back for the actual cruise though! 

Have to say refunding these pre paid things by way of OBC credit is terrible though. I book any excursions in advance and you can’t use Obc before you go!

Edited by P&O SUE
11 hours ago, Elsie69 said:

There is no way that May cruises will go ahead. Unfortunately, I also feel that it will be many more months before cruising resumes.  So many countries are in the same situation as us but in varying stages.  Not much fun if you cannot dock anywhere either.

Now us laypersons who have cruises  booked in the next few months are thinking that also , very unlikely for the Summer however the Cruise companies are Not Saying cruises wont sail which is why they still want us to pay up hence my original post. 

Cruise companies including P&O are expecting people to pay Balances on cruises which wont go ahead, Pay for weddings which wont go ahead and like us Vow renewals that wont go ahead. 

P&O just want our money that is all they care about 

38 minutes ago, glittergal1 said:

P&O just want our money that is all they care about 

There is a big difference between 'want' and 'need'... 

ABTA are effectively telling the government that they can't afford to bail out all these travel companies, so obviously are advising them to hold on to as much money as possible.. 

Horrible for all of us on the end of it, but this was not planned or bad management... 

As I keep saying, everybody will suffer, it ain't gonna be pretty... 

Andy 

Like many I am waiting for a refund for my cruise due to start today. Cancelled on the 13th, so now 2 weeks. I'll post when I receive it. I was repaid a soft drinks package I paid for almost immediately but not the Premier seats on the plane.

34 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

There is a big difference between 'want' and 'need'... 

ABTA are effectively telling the government that they can't afford to bail out all these travel companies, so obviously are advising them to hold on to as much money as possible.. 

Horrible for all of us on the end of it, but this was not planned or bad management... 

As I keep saying, everybody will suffer, it ain't gonna be pretty... 

Andy 

But that “need” and “want” can apply to some customers as well Andy. 

The situation has changed for everyone. As I and others have said before we might have more empathy for P&O at the moment if they had every shown even a scrap of empathy with customers who have had to cancel, which they never did. They simply applied the T&Cs regardless of the situation.

I would also have more respect if they came out and announced measures such as not paying share dividends, share holder OBC, that senior staff were taking a short term pay cut etc until customers were refunded. Unless I have missed it, there has been nothing like that. 

We are booked on Iona 31st May, I very much doubt that the cruise will go ahead even if some restrictions are lifted. I have paid for the cruise so in my mind the money is written off, in an ideal world I would like my money back however if I am offered an incentive which is better than having the money in the bank I will be happy to take it. I am waiting for a refund from a cruise I should be on currently (MSC), I don't hold out much hope for seeing that anytime soon, what really ticks me off is the lies and dishonesty, I was told that a cheque was in the post 3 weeks ago, now I am told the travel agent has not had the money back from MSC. I don't think P&O is any better or worse than any other cruise lines, they all know that we will be lining up to cruise again once this is over.

14 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

But that “need” and “want” can apply to some customers as well Andy. 

The situation has changed for everyone. As I and others have said before we might have more empathy for P&O at the moment if they had every shown even a scrap of empathy with customers who have had to cancel, which they never did. They simply applied the T&Cs regardless of the situation.

I would also have more respect if they came out and announced measures such as not paying share dividends, share holder OBC, that senior staff were taking a short term pay cut etc until customers were refunded. Unless I have missed it, there has been nothing like that. 

I'm not defending P&O, just trying to see it from the other side. 

Perhaps we could do with that money now, but we didn't need it at the time of booking.

There will be a lot more suffering than probably having to have to take our cruises next year... 

Andy 

13 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I don't think P&O is any better or worse than any other cruise lines, they all know that we will be lining up to cruise again once this is over.

We may not all be lining up to cruise again as some may not be able to get insurance cover for a cruise. The government stopped those over 70 and with certain health conditions and the insurance companies will I’m sure take that into account for any future cruise cover.

I have 2 cancelled cruises so far with different companies so it will be interesting to compare and contrast how each behaves. I’m sure others like you are in the same position so we can all compare in due course.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Typo
1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

I'm not defending P&O, just trying to see it from the other side. 

Perhaps we could do with that money now, but we didn't need it at the time of booking.

There will be a lot more suffering than probably having to have to take our cruises next year... 

Andy 

Andy I’m always interested to hear a different perspective and I respect the fact that you can see things from the other point of view. P&O could take a leaf out of your book going forward.

9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Andy I’m always interested to hear a different perspective and I respect the fact that you can see things from the other point of view. P&O could take a leaf out of your book going forward.

Thank you, I was not intending to be disruptive for the sake of it, I will leave that to HP...

When people don't know what to do, they often appear to do nothing. 

This seems to be what P&O are doing, but I'm sure they are all having sleepless nights like the rest of us, worrying how the heck we are going to come out the other side... 

Andy 

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you, I was not intending to be disruptive for the sake of it, I will leave that to HP...

When people don't know what to do, they often appear to do nothing. 

This seems to be what P&O are doing, but I'm sure they are all having sleepless nights like the rest of us, worrying how the heck we are going to come out the other side... 

Andy 

I agree with you Andy, however I do think P&O could be handling this better,  customers have little knowledge of what is going on at head office, but are expected to continue paying their balances or rick losing their deposits.

I have e-mailed P&O suggesting to them that shortening the final payment time, lengthening the current cruises cancelled period and allowing FCCs to be set against existing cruises would ease a lot of passengers minds about keeping the booking system functioning; and it should create enough passenger goodwill to ensure that the next new brochure launch is not a disaster.

Edited by terrierjohn
22 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

So currently the FCO has said No travel 

and the FCO has said No cruises if you are over 70 over have a health condition 

We have a cruise booked for the End of May  from Malta to Italy and Croatia  and would very much like to go on this  as  we were supposed to be renewing our Wedding Vows , But In reality we  think its highly unlikely that we will be going.

However Im not sure P&O have the same thoughts

I had this very brief email 

Good Morning,

I hope my email finds you well.

Please can you contact us to make payment for your renewal of vows at your earliest convenience.

Are P&O optimistic ? desperate for money?  Or just uncaring , and lack empathy ?

I'm booked on the same cruise.  I tried starting March 13th to cancel under the over 70 with underlying condition refund policy then announced.  Emails went unanswered, phone calls couldn't get through, but I finally got a message through on Facebook when they said they would look into it, but then I've never heard back again.  I don't know what's happening.

Edited by comcox
2 minutes ago, comcox said:

I'm booked on the same cruise.  I tried starting March 13th to cancel under the over 70 with underlying condition refund policy then announced.  Emails went unanswered, phone calls couldn't get through, but I finally got a message through on Facebook when they said they would look into it, but then I've never heard back again.  I don't know what's happening.

Basically from what I can see is  they want your money  and dont want to give it back .   Have you had any better luck with the other cruises/travel you had booked before this one? 

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I agree with you Andy, however I do think P&O could be handling this better,  customers have little knowledge of what is going on at head office, but are expected to continue paying their balances or rick losing their deposits.

I have e-mailed P&O suggesting to them that shortening the final payment time, lengthening the current cruises cancelled period and allowing FCCs to be set against existing cruises would ease a lot of passengers minds about keeping the booking system functioning; and it should create enough passenger goodwill to ensure that the next new brochure launch is not a disaster.

Did P&O respond to your email John?.

My thoughts are the same as yours and I feel P&O being flexible like we both suggest would give them a lot of goodwill and understanding.

We are all P&O loyalists who will stick by them if they show more understanding towards us.

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Agreed John, they could handle it much better. 

We are all in this together. 

Andy 

29 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That is exactly my view - we are being asked to pay our final balances a good number of weeks before cruises that are are probably going to be cancelled without knowing for sure if we will be refunded with the ABTA rumours of waiting 2 years to get money back. 

On the FCC front - we have 2 booked for 2020 and 2 for 2021 so a FCC is of no use to us unless we can use it for an existing cruise. Also the future cruises seem to be more expensive than the ones being cancelled so we would have to stump up even more money. A fairer option would be to move customers to as near identical cruise as they can find the next year. We could do that with our Nov 2020 cruise as the absolutely identical cruise (ship, cabin grade and even the same ports) is running in Nov 2021 but it is £506 each more expensive !

31 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Did P&O respond to your email John?.

My thoughts are the same as yours and I feel P&O being flexible like we both suggest would give them a lot of goodwill and understanding.

We are all P&O loyalists who will stick by them if they show more understanding towards us.

Only e-mailed yesterday Graham so its unlikely I will get a reply any time soon, if at all.  However the more regular cruisers that do e-mail with similar suggestions the more likely it might take seed.

Edited by terrierjohn

Some excellent suggestions above. P&O should perhaps apply some of them to maintain some goodwill.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Only e-mailed yesterday Graham so its unlikely I will get a reply ant time soon, if at all.  However the more regular cruisers that do e-mail with similar suggestions the more likely it might take seed.

Good idea, will do.

28 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just imagine sitting there with loads of bills to pay and no income for the foreseeable future? 

Yes, they are getting it wrong, but I guess they don't know where to turn with ABTA being useless... 

Andy 

They have a lot more money than us and maybe everyone who is getting FCCs need to email P&O with their concerns and suggestions.

Without wishing to fall out with members who I have enjoyed productive conversations with over many years, I really don’t agree with the sentiments that because other people have it far worse then we should be grateful for whatever scraps P&O throw our way. I just don’t follow that logic at all as the issues are completely unrelated IMO. Yes, cruises are the ultimate discretionary spend, and were not booked using money that we needed to live on when originally booked, but times are completely different now. Some things to consider;

1) Many people have either lost jobs, lost a proportion of their income, had overtime cut or removed altogether, lost money that they were relying on to fund retirement etc etc. Money that was ‘discretionary’ a matter of months ago might be essential just to live on now, so P&O holding on to it is causing these people enormous anxiety and worry. 

2) Whether due to future difficulty getting insurance because of age / underlying health conditions, or P&O’s poor handling of this situation (putting customers last, in spite of Paul Ludlow's assurances to the contrary), many people will not be able, or even want, to go on a future P&O cruise, so FCC is completely worthless to them. It is completely unreasonable to expect these customers to wait 2 years to get their money back.

3) For the same reason as above, allowing FCC to be used against future (already booked) cruises will only work for some people (a greater proportion on here than the general population, I would suggest).

4) Owners and shareholders, by definition, bear the financial risk of a company and have chosen to do so by investing. Customers, on the other hand, entered into a contract for a product or service. They did not do so with a caveat that if the company ran into difficulty then their money could be held ransom to prop the company’s cash flow up. The fact that other cruise companies and wider travel companies are doing the same is interesting but doesn’t in any way justify it. ABTA has made a recommendation that is not yet enshrined in law, yet travel companies (inc P&O) are taking it as if it is now the law. It isn’t. 

5) P&O’s decision to arbitrarily change their terms and conditions at will adds to the uncertainty that people might not get their money back. FCC is worthless if the company goes under. Customers go to the back of the queue in these scenarios and will get nothing. 

6) Those accepting of the current position and expressing support, either through taking the perceived moral high ground or because they can afford to, are making it far more difficult for those who don’t accept that argument, or can’t afford to, to get their hard earned money back. 

As and when P&O cancels any cruises that I am booked on , I expect a full refund within 14 days. I am not prepared to take a high risk stake in P&O’s future by way of FCC or a 2 year delay on a refund. Others may be happy to do that. I am not. The fact that P&O isn’t honouring their own terms and conditions or current law does not encourage me to lend them my support, either verbally or financially. 

At the moment everything is a gamble.

I am not taking the 'moral high ground' in opting for FCC. I am gambling on the fact that P&O will survive and that I will be able to cruise again, partially paid for by my cruise payment gaining 10% interest as a FCC rather than 0.1% as a refund.

Edited by Pine Man
4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I have been so lucky. I decided to cancel my one excursion (just in case)  the day before P&O cancelled our cruise so the refund was back in my account within hours.

Still waiting for the money back for the actual cruise though! 

This is exactly my situation, and whilst I have every sympathy for the cruise lines' employees, these companies have been highly profitable over the years I have been cruising, and to expect people not to want their money back within a reasonable time frame in these uncertain times is unacceptable, as is the attempt to change those previously ever-so-rigid t&cs.

I should add that I feel quite differently towards small businesses and independent hotels etc.  

In answer to the the OP, I would be astounded if May cruises were not cancelled shortly.  I have two more cruises in the pipeline this year, one with Celebrity in the Med in August and a TA with Princess in November.  I would be amazed if the August one goes ahead and have my doubts about the November one even.  

28 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Without wishing to fall out with members who I have enjoyed productive conversations with over many years, I really don’t agree with the sentiments that because other people have it far worse then we should be grateful for whatever scraps P&O throw our way. I just don’t follow that logic at all as the issues are completely unrelated IMO. Yes, cruises are the ultimate discretionary spend, and were not booked using money that we needed to live on when originally booked, but times are completely different now. Some things to consider;

1) Many people have either lost jobs, lost a proportion of their income, had overtime cut or removed altogether, lost money that they were relying on to fund retirement etc etc. Money that was ‘discretionary’ a matter of months ago might be essential just to live on now, so P&O holding on to it is causing these people enormous anxiety and worry. 

2) Whether due to future difficulty getting insurance because of age / underlying health conditions, or P&O’s poor handling of this situation (putting customers last, in spite of Paul Ludlow's assurances to the contrary), many people will not be able, or even want, to go on a future P&O cruise, so FCC is completely worthless to them. It is completely unreasonable to expect these customers to wait 2 years to get their money back.

3) For the same reason as above, allowing FCC to be used against future (already booked) cruises will only work for some people (a greater proportion on here than the general population, I would suggest).

4) Owners and shareholders, by definition, bear the financial risk of a company and have chosen to do so by investing. Customers, on the other hand, entered into a contract for a product or service. They did not do so with a caveat that if the company ran into difficulty then their money could be held ransom to prop the company’s cash flow up. The fact that other cruise companies and wider travel companies are doing the same is interesting but doesn’t in any way justify it. ABTA has made a recommendation that is not yet enshrined in law, yet travel companies (inc P&O) are taking it as if it is now the law. It isn’t. 

5) P&O’s decision to arbitrarily change their terms and conditions at will adds to the uncertainty that people might not get their money back. FCC is worthless if the company goes under. Customers go to the back of the queue in these scenarios and will get nothing. 

6) Those accepting of the current position and expressing support, either through taking the perceived moral high ground or because they can afford to, are making it far more difficult for those who don’t accept that argument, or can’t afford to, to get their hard earned money back. 

As and when P&O cancels any cruises that I am booked on , I expect a full refund within 14 days. I am not prepared to take a high risk stake in P&O’s future by way of FCC or a 2 year delay on a refund. Others may be happy to do that. I am not. The fact that P&O isn’t honouring their own terms and conditions or current law does not encourage me to lend them my support, either verbally or financially. 

Very well described Selbourne.

We desperately wanted to go on Azuras TA on March 20th but first the government stepped in advising against over 70s and health conditions cruising then P&O cancelled.

We were promised a refund and expect it to be honoured.

Our next P&O cruise is a year away.

I have done everything I was told to do after my December Heart Attack and stent fitted and feel great having lost nearly 2 stone in weight but it is still classed as a critical heart condition and who knows in the foreseeable future whether I or others in a similar position will be allowed to cruise so FCCs are useless for those of us in the no cruise government advice list, hopefully that is not what P&O are thinking.

Edited by grapau27