Explanation of Final Payment for September cruise

nini

Sorry to appear dazed; Our cruise is September 13, 2020. This paragraph is from

the Updated Princess "Cancellations., Refunds, and Final Payments". It does not 

specify that we would receive a full refund. There will be a cancellation fee that

would be a FCC. So, this is very vague:

1. Would there be a full refund?

2. How much is the cancellation fee?

Cruises sailing August 1, 2020 through October 15, 2020:

* If you’ve booked by April 30, 2020 on these cruises, you can now cancel your vacation up to 30 days before sailing.

* You will continue to receive a Future Cruise Credit for the amount of your cancellation fee.

Thanks everyone. I know Princess is busy, but I may give them a call, depending on the wait time.

The cancellation fee is the penalty amount listed in the Passage Contract.  This has not changed for your cruise date. https://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/pcl.html

What has changed is that in the past, you just plain lost the penalty amount (unless you could claim insurance, but that is separate from Princess new policy).  

Now, with the new policies based on COVID and cruise date, you will get the value of the penalty amount returned to you as FCC. As long as you cancel your cruise before the 30 day limit. The split between refund/FCC depends on the penalty level you are in when you cancel.

The only way to receive a full refund for your date is to cancel prior to final payment and have no booking limits on your deposit.

Edited by cherylandtk
  • Like 2

* If you’ve booked by April 30, 2020 on these cruises, you can now cancel your vacation up to 30 days before sailing

* You will continue to receive a Future Cruise Credit for the amount of your cancellation fee.

Cheryl I understand what you are saying and it makes sense, however you could always cancel 'up to 30 days'. Agree you would lose the Penalty amount and now that amount is FCC. OK but why say 'you can now cancel' ?

I am trying to figure out if the "you can now cancel your vacation up to 30 days before sailing"

has become the final payment date, therefore our deposit being returned and no penalties.

We did book before April 30: actually booked 10/25/2019.

"Cruises sailing August 1, 2020 through October 15, 2020

• If you’ve booked by April 30, 2020 on these cruises, you can now cancel your vacation up to 30 days before sailing.
  • You will continue to receive a Future Cruise Credit for the amount of your cancellation fee."

I appreciate your responses. 

For full refund you must cancel by your final payment date. Check for that date in your Travel Summary in your Personalizer. They are constantly changing it. If you wait until the 30 days prior it will be a FCC. 

Edited by rocklinmom

I have been wondering this myself. We have a cruise that leaves from London in September. Am thinking perhaps Europe is not where we want to be. Final payment isn't for awhile yet but it's good to figure out what the options are. Our flights are through Delta, not EZ because it was really cheaper and better layover but that may be a moot point. I'm not worried about the flight - I'll take flight credit or whatever it may be from Delta to cancel. 

If your deposit was refundable you can cancel anytime up to your final payment date.   Your deposit will be refunded back to your method of payment.   My final payment for Baltic cruise is April 20th, but I'm sure Europe won't be open by June, so will probably cancel next week.  We used a FCC for deposit and booked ezair.  So we won't be out any $$$

2 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

For full refund you must cancel by your final payment date. Check for that date in your Travel Summary in your Personalizer. They are constantly changing it. If you wait until the 30 days prior it will be a FCC. 

Rocklinmom I do not see it. I went to Manage Booking, then Checkin, Print Travel Summary. I see full description of cruise but no mention of final payment date. I do see Final Payment on the Booking Summary from TA but can't find it on Princess site. TA info is from original booking date, before Covid etc. I sent an email to TA for clarification.

6 hours ago, Tedferg said:

* If you’ve booked by April 30, 2020 on these cruises, you can now cancel your vacation up to 30 days before sailing

Cheryl I understand what you are saying and it makes sense, however you could always cancel 'up to 30 days'. Agree you would lose the Penalty amount and now that amount is FCC. OK but why say 'you can now cancel' ?

Do you usually use Princess insurance? If so, then you are not seeing much difference because the insurance gave you FCC for your cancellation penalty charge.  Now with the revised policy for specific cruise dates, anyone-even those who did not purchase insurance-gets the same deal, up to the specified days prior.  (And people who bought the Princess insurance get that back under this new policy; under old rules that cost was not refunded or credited)

Edited by cherylandtk

44 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Rocklinmom I do not see it. I went to Manage Booking, then Checkin, Print Travel Summary. I see full description of cruise but no mention of final payment date. I do see Final Payment on the Booking Summary from TA but can't find it on Princess site. TA info is from original booking date, before Covid etc. I sent an email to TA for clarification.

Normal cancellation policy is item 6 in the Cruise Passage Contract.  Same page as the Travel Summary.  There is also a link to the new temporary policy there.  Interesting to note that the penalties now include all pre-cruise purchases instead of just the cruise cost.  It would be a good idea to cancel drink packages and excursions before you cancel the cruise.  I suppose there could be a new disclaimer in the Personalizer saying there is a penalty to do this, but I haven't seen one.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

(And people who bought the Princess insurance get that back under this new policy; under old rules that cost was not refunded or credited)

Cheryl, yes we do take Princess Insurance, does the above mean the cost for Princess Insurance ?

I continue to struggle with If you’ve booked by April 30, 2020 on these cruises, you can now cancel your vacation up to 30 days before sailing.

In the same revised cancellation policy it states:

'Beginning with August cruises, the final payment date returns to our published policy.'

8 minutes ago, LeeW said:

It would be a good idea to cancel drink packages and excursions before you cancel the cruise.  

It did not occur to me that FCC for cancelled cruise, either under new policy or via Princess Insurance, would not cover these.

We added BEST2DG to existing booking at a cost of $600 - however of course no payments have been made so far. The $600 was added to Final Amount. Are you saying that after Final Payment - 90 days before Sail Date - we would be on the hook for $600 ?

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Cheryl, yes we do take Princess Insurance, does the above mean the cost for Princess Insurance ?

I continue to struggle with If you’ve booked by April 30, 2020 on these cruises, you can now cancel your vacation up to 30 days before sailing.

In the same revised cancellation policy it states:

'Beginning with August cruises, the final payment date returns to our published policy.'

Yes to the insurance question.

The ‘booked by April 30’ clause is one of several Princess’ parameter for WHICH bookings qualify for this special new cancel policy.  The policy varies depending on when the cruise sails and when it was booked, as well as when one cancels.  The 30 day limit means that one must cancel By 30 days prior to get the ‘extra’ perk of receiving the FCC.  (Other earlier sailing dates have/had 72 or 48 hours prior to sailing limits)  If one cancels after the stated limit, you do not get the automatic FCC, (but may qualify for CFAR FCC if using the insurance.)

The ‘new’ 60 vs. ‘old’ 90 day final payment due date is based on month of sailing.  

7 hours ago, nini said:

I am trying to figure out if the "you can now cancel your vacation up to 30 days before sailing"

has become the final payment date...

No. Final payment date is separate from cancelation date.  The final payment date is 60 days for sailings in June or July, it reverts to 90 days for August and later sailings.  So, a July 30 cruise and an August 30 cruise both have essentially the same final payment date; around May 31.

in order to receive FCC for cancellation penalty amounts, one must cancel by the stated limit for that cruise date range.   For May, June,  July Cruises the limit is up to 48 hours prior.  For August -October cruises, the limit is 30 days prior.  

Note that all June, July , August cruises have not yet reached final payment date, so any of these cancelled now would get a refund of deposit, assuming a standard refundable deposit was made.  If final payment date is reached, then the penalty policy comes into play.

Edited by cherylandtk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

It did not occur to me that FCC for cancelled cruise, either under new policy or via Princess Insurance, would not cover these.

We added BEST2DG to existing booking at a cost of $600 - however of course no payments have been made so far. The $600 was added to Final Amount. Are you saying that after Final Payment - 90 days before Sail Date - we would be on the hook for $600 ?

Your packages are part of a booking promotion and are paid as part of the fare.

LeeW was referring to separately booked packages, through the Personalizer, much like one books excursions or spa treatments.  Those can be separately canceled.

As your ‘packages’ are not separately booked but are a promotional part of your fare, they will be included in the penalty calculation if you cancel.  The split between refund - FCC - penalty will depend on the date of cancelation. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tedferg said:

OK will wait until Monday to hear from TA.

Yes if you booked with a TA you will need to cancel through them anyway. Sounds like your final payment date is 90 days prior to your cruise date, so for a September cruise that would be sometime in June. And the point someone made above about cancelling any prebooked shore excursions, onboard purchases, etc. first is a good one, I did that with ours. Even if you booked the cruise with a TA you can cancel those things yourself in your Personalizer. 

I had this problem with regard to our September 5th sailing to St Peterberg.

we booked with a TA so the due date for the final balance was coming up soon.

we decided to shift the whole thing to a year later. We now leave on September 4th 2021, hopefully.

Having made this  amendment nearly all of the cost is is deferred until May 2021.
Hopefully our story may be helpful to others.

Be very wary about paying final balance, we’d say,

12 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

The 30 day limit means that one must cancel By 30 days prior to get the ‘extra’ perk of receiving the FCC.  (Other earlier sailing dates have/had 72 or 48 hours prior to sailing limits)  If one cancels after the stated limit, you do not get the automatic FCC, (but may qualify for CFAR FCC if using the insurance.)

Thanks Cheryl - I finally get it. Also your answer about Beverage Package 🙂

Edited by Tedferg