Jump to content

San Antanio vs Valparaiso Chile ?


Recommended Posts

Does anyone know why some if not all changed their  SA port to San Antonio from Valparaiso ?

We did this cruise years ago from  valparaiso , there was so much to do and see without being  miles away from airport as San Antonio is.

Edited by FranknBeans
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Can someone give an idea as to the earliest flight we could take after disembarkation in San Antonio?  Will be flying from Santiago airport.  Is it best to pre-arrange private transportation?   Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 5:36 PM, psygist said:

Can someone give an idea as to the earliest flight we could take after disembarkation in San Antonio?  Will be flying from Santiago airport.  Is it best to pre-arrange private transportation?   Thanks!

 

Where are you going?    Most all US domestic flights leave in the evening.     Anywhere else,  I wouldn't consider before 1pm.    I've never used prearranged transportation and a wide assortment of options.   Depends,  again, what you are looking for?   Cruise ship transportation is efficient and in the range of taxis,  car service etc.   I simply take the public bus.  🙂   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2020 at 4:11 PM, FranknBeans said:

Does anyone know why some if not all changed their  SA port to San Antonio from Valparaiso ?

We did this cruise years ago from  valparaiso , there was so much to do and see without being  miles away from airport as San Antonio is.

They left Valparaiso  3 seasons ago.   The straw that broke the camels back was a strike of dock workers and the inability of the NCL Sun to dock, and they had to tender everyone on and off the ship.  🙂      San Antonio  apparently had more stability and were successful getting the contract.    I've sailed in/out of there multiple times-  every year since they stated with no reported breaks of service.   

 

I will readily admit-  Valparaiso has a LOT more going for it,  and I always enjoyed staying there.   I never stay in San Antonio and just isn't my interest.   🙂      

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

 

Where are you going?    Most all US domestic flights leave in the evening.     Anywhere else,  I wouldn't consider before 1pm.    I've never used prearranged transportation and a wide assortment of options.   Depends,  again, what you are looking for?   Cruise ship transportation is efficient and in the range of taxis,  car service etc.   I simply take the public bus.  🙂   

 

Planning on flying to Peru after disembarking in San Antonio.  Would like to book a flight that is scheduled to leave shortly after 12 noon from Santiago, but wondering if this is too early.  I'd think that if we could be off the ship before 8 am, we should be able to be at the airport in time for a 12:00pm flight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 4:29 PM, psygist said:

Planning on flying to Peru after disembarking in San Antonio.  Would like to book a flight that is scheduled to leave shortly after 12 noon from Santiago, but wondering if this is too early.  I'd think that if we could be off the ship before 8 am, we should be able to be at the airport in time for a 12:00pm flight.

Your plan is risky    There is no sure thing you will be "first" off the ship.    This port requires you to be bused out  and bags handled by setting them out the night prior.    There isn't "walk off".  

 

I'd also suggest arranged private airport transportation.     Cabs are available for walk up-  but rates aren't fixed.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

We have not been to San Antonio.  We did go to Valparaiso.  Spent two days there post cruise on our own.

 

Apparently there is/was a history of labour union problems in Valparaiso.  When we docked there were some big banners pinned to the containers on the dock.  Disembarkation was halted for about an hour mid way  because of labour union issues.   We were told that this was a regular occurrence at this port.   We very much enjoyed our two days in Valparaiso.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic's State of the Industry Report - Trends & Future Outlook
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...