Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know why the Koningsdam is going south on the east coast of South America while all other ships are going north? Check cruisemapper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Floridiana said:

Does anyone know why the Koningsdam is going south on the east coast of South America while all other ships are going north? Check cruisemapper.

Koningsdam is being relocated to the Pacific for future cruises, they are basically doing the cruise they were supposed to without passengers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree. They are continuing, generally, on their repositioning cruise to the west coast, except without pax.

 

Discussed here:

 

 

 

with some interesting, related info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps it is less expensive to sail around South America at a fuel miserly slow speed than pay the $100,000+ tolls of the Panama Canal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Frank5 said:

Perhaps it is less expensive to sail around South America at a fuel miserly slow speed than pay the $100,000+ tolls of the Panama Canal.

 

My understanding is that she can't go thru the canal.....That's why she was on a 44 day cruise around South America when the recent unpleasantness happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

 

My understanding is that she can't go thru the canal.....That's why she was on a 44 day cruise around South America when the recent unpleasantness happened.

The reasoning is explained in the thread linked in Post#3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wondering, if some South American ports are closed, how will she obtain more fuel and supplies?  Maybe she can carry all that she needs for such a long trip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She cannot go thru the canal---too much over hang by tenders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am wondering, if some South American ports are closed, how will she obtain more fuel and supplies?  Maybe she can carry all that she needs for such a long trip?

The ports have been allowing fueling and resupplying. Just no one off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The ports have been allowing fueling and resupplying. Just no one off.

 

Thank you.  That's good to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that will continue for the Koningsdam.  Queen Mary 2 is currently at Durban South Africa and apparently is having trouble getting approval to refuel, even though it can be done while anchored in the harbor.  She refueled in Mauritius so she's in no danger but Amsterdam is heading for Durban and low on fuel.  That could turn into a nightmare for her crew.

 

I would hope Koningsdam can keep her tanks topped off in case the situation gets even worse in South America.

 

Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...