Jump to content

Annoucment delay until monday


Recommended Posts

They know what they are doing, so why are they keeping everyone up in the air?  And to say they'll give us info today and then go haha nah, maybe Monday? This actually makes me really angry? Annoyed? All of the above? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, enfuego4cruising said:

I saw earlier this week on the Carnival website where the Panorama was showing sailings in April. This included one with John Heald. Today on the website, nothing for the Panorama in April. Now showing May as the soonest available to book.

As things are still changing everyday, it's not surprising  the web hasn't changed. Pax can count April out, the US hasn't peaked yet. May has a slim chance, but I wouldn't bet on it.

 

Tourist related Myrtle Beach has just shut down all of April, hotels, bars, restaurants and golf courses. I would expect Disney to extend also, and most tourist related areas including cruises.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Won't matter what Carnival does if some of these ports (like Maryland) are not reopened by the Governor after 4/11. I'm on a 4/12 out of Baltimore and I'm betting the farm it's a no-go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, UGACamper said:

2:17 in video above 

 

plans "through June" in place

 

He was talking about employees, especially those at the manager level and below, both shipboard and shore-side. Ensuring they are financially impacted "during this critical time, through June, as little as possible, if at all."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the longer they wait, the closer they are to the 3/31 quarter end for financials and it helps them "cook the books" a little longer so they don't look so bad to creditors having to give all these refunds back.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lelder1 said:

Maybe the longer they wait, the closer they are to the 3/31 quarter end for financials and it helps them "cook the books" a little longer so they don't look so bad to creditors having to give all these refunds back.  

that's not how it works. if they wanted to as you call it "cook the books" they would just slow down actual cash refunds. they are trying to do that with getting people to take FCC's.

 

the SEC has delayed filings for up to 45 days for these quarterly filings. Carnival is a november year end, so they now have a quarter end on february 29th (or some date near there if they are off calendar year ends). so all these changes/cancellations/refunds wont be known until about June or July depending if the SEC allows further delays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'm not sure why people hope things will magically go away and get better. Life doesn't really work that way. People need to take a more pragmatic approach to these things. There will be no cruises leaving in April anywhere, end of story. People should be planning for that reality and make sure you know what you're going to do what the inevitable announcement comes. 

 

I haven't seen anyone on here who's hoping things will magically go away. I do see some who are cautiously optimistic that they can still go on their upcoming cruise. There's nothing wrong with that. You speak of pragmatism. That's something I believe is severely lacking with some people on this forum. I'm not referring to anyone who's optimistic, I mean those who spread drastic speculation. I don't take issue with those who speculate that cruising won't resume in April or even May. That's more realistic. What I don't agree with are those who repeatedly voice unrealistic speculation that it won't resume until August, Sept., or later. I've even seen some who say January is out. That kind of speculation simply isn't realistic and is based on panic, fear, and/or raw emotion instead of rational thought. That type of emotional reaction is what spreads misinformation and causes problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

There are zero cruises showing on Carnival's site before May 15... this implies that all cruises through May 15 have been cancelled.

With the current cancellation policy (I can't keep up!), would I be able to get a full refund to my cc for a cruise booked for 5/9 if I cancel today? 

I really don't want OBC for a future cruise. I can't imagine getting on a cruise ship again until there aren't any COVID cases worldwide for at least several months. When that happens, I'll be roaring to go!

 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, loohoo1 said:

With the current cancellation policy (I can't keep up!), would I be able to get a full refund to my cc for a cruise booked for 5/9 if I cancel today? 

I really don't want OBC for a future cruise. I can't imagine getting on a cruise ship again until there aren't any COVID cases worldwide for at least several months. When that happens, I'll be roaring to go!

 

Thanks!

not yet, but I think Monday that will be the new policy. right now you get an FCC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm about the only one who isn't picking up my torch & pitchfork, ready to jump on the Carnival-hate bandwagon and storm their HQ over this delayed announcement. I view this entire nationwide issue as being "fluid." Ever-moving and ever-changing, day by day. Surely that has an affect on certain decisions that have to be made. That could be why they want to give themselves a little more time. So many of these businesses have to make some very impactful decisions that can't be taken lightly. I believe that when Carnival does decide to resume operations, even if it's only partially, they'll do so after 1) taking government recommendations into account, and 2) looking at what the rest of the cruising industry is doing. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that Carnival would return to service if all the other lines decide to remain shut down. If they did that, they'd look heartless and careless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

 

I haven't seen anyone on here who's hoping things will magically go away. I do see some who are cautiously optimistic that they can still go on their upcoming cruise. There's nothing wrong with that. You speak of pragmatism. That's something I believe is severely lacking with some people on this forum. I'm not referring to anyone who's optimistic, I mean those who spread drastic speculation. I don't take issue with those who speculate that cruising won't resume in April or even May. That's more realistic. What I don't agree with are those who repeatedly voice unrealistic speculation that it won't resume until August, Sept., or later. I've even seen some who say January is out. That kind of speculation simply isn't realistic and is based on panic, fear, and/or raw emotion instead of rational thought. That type of emotional reaction is what spreads misinformation and causes problems.

I am not an alarmist.  But, if you look at the infection rate in New York this won’t be over for them for several weeks.   Their apex has not been reached and will not be reached for at least 21 days.  New Orleans is going through the same issue.  My guess is Miami and most of Florida will be hit hard.  I believe that there is a wave of infections ahead of the rest of our country and deaths will follow.  Doom and gloom?  I believe that is just the reality for the next three to four months.  I have been on over 50 cruises and will cruise again.  Just not for the next several months.  Keep dreaming but be careful.   This isn’t the common cold or flu.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, loohoo1 said:

With the current cancellation policy (I can't keep up!), would I be able to get a full refund to my cc for a cruise booked for 5/9 if I cancel today? 

I really don't want OBC for a future cruise.

 

Thanks!


Personally, I'm hanging tight.  Carnival's offers were only for cancelled cruises.  Since cruises after April 9 have not officially been cancelled (announced), then you will likely incur cancellation fees if you cancel before an announcement.  Below is the current cancellation policy:

https://www.carnival.com/health-and-sailing-updates

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sugar67 said:

I am in Canada, there hasn't been any change to their policy.  We aren't accepting any ships with over 500 people until July 1st, 2020.

There are questions about Alaskan cruises in August/Sept and there are questions about sailing to other ports before July1.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Let's hope it is a great announcement that all the issues with Canada have been cleared up and all cruises will resume effective April something but with these restrictions...........

A delay can simply mean that the other parties involved with a negotiation aren't in agreement yet. 

 

Keep in mind those few cruise ships still at sea can't get any ports to accept them, regardless of whether they have suspected coronavirus onboard or not. With ports refusing to accept cruise ships, no cruises are going anywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

There are questions about Alaskan cruises in August/Sept and there are questions about sailing to other ports before July1.  

What questions would those be?  Canadian ports are closed till 7/1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since last night the month of April 2020 has been greyed out.  Pretty sure that means sailings will be delayed until May.  I know some are waiting until the announcement Monday but wanted to FYI those that maybe haven't seen the April calendar being marked out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:


Personally, I'm hanging tight.  Carnival's offers were only for cancelled cruises.  Since cruises after April 9 have not officially been cancelled (announced), then you will likely incur cancellation fees if you cancel before an announcement.  Below is the current cancellation policy:

https://www.carnival.com/health-and-sailing-updates

Thanks, I'll hang tight for now, too. Hoping with Monday's news, I'll be entitled to a full refund.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough situation for Carnival. I don’t know the details of their finances, but if canceling another month would put them in serious jeopardy of going under, I can see why they might try to sail. I don’t think it’ll happen, but I don’t think this is necessarily a situation where Carnival is playing games by waiting until Monday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hoosierpop said:

Tough situation for Carnival. I don’t know the details of their finances, but if canceling another month would put them in serious jeopardy of going under, I can see why they might try to sail. I don’t think it’ll happen, but I don’t think this is necessarily a situation where Carnival is playing games by waiting until Monday.

 

Who would get on a ship now knowing if there was a single case of coronavirus onboard, or maybe even if there wasn't, they would end up getting stuck in quarantine for 14 days?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

They know they won't be able to offer the cruises in April, so they could have cancelled them today.  They said they were going to have a decision today and they should have kept their word, even if it only involved April cruises.  Other cruise lines already announced cancellations, yet Carnival keeps putting it off.  This will only make people more likely to want a refund and not rebook.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...