Jump to content

Sept 2020


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, SheilaSirkin said:

 

Supposed to go from Vancouver to Hawaii. I have hopes that this virus will be gone. What do you think

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

Doubt it is gone but I am more optimistic about the cruise happening.  Hope you are healthy as they may have tight restrictions.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bradison said:

Doubt it is gone but I am more optimistic about the cruise happening.  Hope you are healthy as they may have tight restrictions.

 

I agree

 

Us old folks that might have a hard time getting a Doctors note may still miss the boat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SheilaSirkin said:

 

Supposed to go from Vancouver to Hawaii. I have hopes that this virus will be gone. What do you think

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

I don't think Covid will be gone but I'm more optimistic about a Sept sailing than those you jumped on rescheduling their canceled cruise to  an Oasis Cruise out of Cape Liberty in early June and July.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Brad1185 said:

I can’t imagine any cruise with passengers for at least a year from now and probably longer than that. 

If that is the case there will be no cruise lines left. No business with this much overhead and expensive ships like this could survive that long. The people these islands that rely on the ships will be dead also. Cruising will start and earlier that most think.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In addition to specialty dining packages they will have to offer SICKED packages:

Stay In Cabin Keep Eating Daily

 

But on a somber note we are on the last northbound Alaska cruise in August. This will pass just don’t know when. We have been fed doom and gloom for months so it is going to be hard to get people out again when there will still be outstanding cases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

If that is the case there will be no cruise lines left. No business with this much overhead and expensive ships like this could survive that long. The people these islands that rely on the ships will be dead also. Cruising will start and earlier that most think.


Totally agree. RC already was carrying a lot of debt and took out more credit to keep them afloat (no pun intended). If they don’t cruise for 12 months they’ll be gone. This is going to be a battle between science and economics. An exercise in risk management will try to get them in some alignment. 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, SheilaSirkin said:

 

Supposed to go from Vancouver to Hawaii. I have hopes that this virus will be gone. What do you think

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

What do I think?

Virus will be gone - No

Ship will sail - Maybe

 

Even when ships start sailing, which could be many months, the lines will struggle to meet traditional occupancy rates.  So many factors will reduce passengers:

 

1.  People afraid of the virus

2.  People afraid of ending up on a cruise that has health issues and being stuck in their cabins not knowing when they'll get off.

3.  Unemployment will affect demand

4.  Losses in retirement accounts will affect demand

 

The cruise lines have many challenges ahead.  If demand is reduced to hard core cruisers and they lose too many customers for many reasons, one has to wonder if they will even be able to keep the schedules/reservations they have in place for 2021.  They aren't going to want all those ships sailing half full.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:


Totally agree. RC already was carrying a lot of debt and took out more credit to keep them afloat (no pun intended). If they don’t cruise for 12 months they’ll be gone. This is going to be a battle between science and economics. An exercise in risk management will try to get them in some alignment. 

 

 

 

When this thing "peaks" in three weeks and then starts to decline we all breath a little easier each week till everything us lifted. It won't be Easter like some would like, I would love that but its just too soon. After it peaks and starts to decline I'd say another 4 weeks after that things will slowly open up. Royal will start I believe in early June, maybe, maybe late May. They will start early also, Caribbean, Coco Cay first but at least revenue will be coming in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Not happening.  Nope. No way.  Dream on. 

 

Agreed.  What's large break outs currently happening in NY, CA, MI and other states will spread to all of the other states and will become bigger.  It is no different to how COVID spread around the world.  How fast the curve gets bent and stays bent will determine how quickly things get back to the new normal in America.

 

Until individual states have no travel restrictions on other states, there will be no cruises happening.  You can't fill a ship with just individuals from one state.  Even if you could where would they sail to, as the islands might not be ready either.  

 

Cruises will return but not by late May or early June, unless a Heavenly Miracle happens on Easter weekend.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

 You can't fill a ship with just individuals from one state.  

You could probably get pretty close to filling a ship with just folks from around Bayonne, though probably not right now. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

 

Agreed.  What's large break outs currently happening in NY, CA, MI and other states will spread to all of the other states and will become bigger.  It is no different to how COVID spread around the world.  How fast the curve gets bent and stays bent will determine how quickly things get back to the new normal in America.

 

Until individual states have no travel restrictions on other states, there will be no cruises happening.  You can't fill a ship with just individuals from one state.  Even if you could where would they sail to, as the islands might not be ready either.  

 

Cruises will return but not by late May or early June, unless a Heavenly Miracle happens on Easter weekend.

The big cities differ from how other cities will be. You dont have the density in most places across the inited states like nyc,los Angeles,detroit etc....  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So many worries. We know nothing about this virus. If the ships start sailing again, will we be able to sail out of Vancouver and be able to dock in Hawaii. I live in Ohio and we are told that the peak might be until mid-May. Also, how can we be sure that once we are permitted to move freely again that a new wave will not start.

I hate to be such a downer about this, but until I am on a ship I cannot even hope it will happen in September.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You could probably get pretty close to filling a ship with just folks from around Bayonne, though probably not right now. 

 

Yes you could fill a ship, but for sure not now.  Who would welcome that ship even 30 days from now.  IMO once Italy and Spain start to let people move freely it might be more of a sign to how/when things happen in North America.  To think that by Easter things will be normal across the nation is naive. There might be areas, but not nationally.

 

38 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Probably also from Florida.

 

Agreed, but maybe one ship per cruise line out of half a dozen that they have there.

 

22 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

The big cities differ from how other cities will be. You dont have the density in most places across the inited states like nyc,los Angeles,detroit etc....  

 

It will spread, thankfully not as quickly and as dire as heavily populated communities.  An example of this spread, Mardi Gras.  Thousands of people from all over the country and the world came to New Orleans.  They were backed in tight quarters, just before the severity was realized in America, and then they all went home.  

 

I do an annual car tour in June that lasts 7 days and goes to 7 US cities across multiple states with over 20,000 plus people.  They come from across the States, Canada, and some from Europe, Australia and South Africa.  This year it is to start in Norwalk Ohio with stops in Dayton OH, Indy IN, Madison IL, Davenport IA and ends in Madison WI. There is great debate if it will happen this June.  Many are 50/50 that it will happen.  However, there are some convinced that it is cancelled they will do it on their own any way.  Be damned the health of others because they have prepared for the hotels.  IMO opinion the politest thing I can say to those is that they are foolish.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, piglet55cc said:

So many worries. We know nothing about this virus. If the ships start sailing again, will we be able to sail out of Vancouver and be able to dock in Hawaii. I live in Ohio and we are told that the peak might be until mid-May. Also, how can we be sure that once we are permitted to move freely again that a new wave will not start.

I hate to be such a downer about this, but until I am on a ship I cannot even hope it will happen in September.

 

We are fortunate that Ohio's gov. & Dr. Amy Acton are giving us a daily reality check without providing false hope. I've the naive "feeling" that either a cure or a vaccine will be found by summer, but without those I doubt we will be even able to follow that Southwest Airline slogan- "Feel Free to Move about the Country," much less Canada, Europe and the rest of the world!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

If that is the case there will be no cruise lines left. No business with this much overhead and expensive ships like this could survive that long. The people these islands that rely on the ships will be dead also. Cruising will start and earlier that most think.

 

Witnessing first hand what's happening here June is very doubtful for cruising. I have more hope for September but personally I wouldn't be traveling unless it was necessary.

 Cruising isn't the only source of income for the islands. They also have land resorts that probably spend more than the average cruiser since they are on the island longer. These Islands survived long before Christopher Columbus  and the other explorers from the middle ages discovered them. They are actually more prepared for economic devastation than we are because they have nothing to being with. I can't believe someone who lives in N.J. and is on lockdown doesn't see this. The unemployment rate is climbing daily in this country and who would have thought there would be fist fights over toilet paper. The worst possible  thing that could happen to these poor people is the spread of covid-19. They don't have the medical resources to survive this outbreak.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm hopeful that by September it will be safe to cruise.  We may come a long way medically by then with treatments.  However, I won't set foot on an airplane until this is under control.  I believe airports are a much bigger threat than cruising.  We are planning a land based vacation at the end of August, but we will be driving.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Bradison said:

Doubt it is gone but I am more optimistic about the cruise happening.  Hope you are healthy as they may have tight restrictions.

I'm also on that cruise and am waiting until closer to final payment to make a decision.  I think the problem will still be here and am concerned.   Vancouver port is closed until June 30 - will it be that late before RCI makes a decision to cancel? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...