Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
pmcl

Sun Princess covid-19 case

According to the Tasmania Dept of health, a passenger from the Sun Princess which docked in Sydney last week has tested positive for the virus.

All passengers from Tasmania who were on the ship have been instructed to self isolate until April 2nd.

As reported in the Guardian today.

Another ship case, I wonder if they got it on the ship, the transfers to and from the airports, the flights or elsewhere..

I was on the ship for the Circle Indian Ocean cruise which finished in Fremantle with some passengers continuing on to Adelaide or Sydney.  The passenger was more likely to have picked up the virus whilst transferring home to Tasmania.  The Sun disembarked the majority of the passengers on 10 March in Fremantle.

I doubt very much that the passenger boarded the Sun Princess with the virus or contracted it one of the Australian ports of call. If that was so, there would have been numerous positive cases (as with the Ruby Princess).

Here are the relevant dates: Tasmanian public health services overnight on March 27 were informed that a separate Tasmanian case involved a passenger who was on board the Sun Princess cruise ship that disembarked from Sydney on March 19.

With the average incubation period lasting only five days, it is likely the passenger contracted the virus after disembarking.

Information on incubation period: Currently, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Trusted Source, the incubation period for the novel coronavirus is somewhere between 2 to 14 days after exposure. According to a recent report, more than 97 percent of people who contract SARS-CoV-2 show symptoms within 11.5 days of exposure. The average incubation period seems to be around 5 days. However, this estimate may change as we learn more about the virus.

I did wonder if they had got it on the ship. Seems media like to highlight some things more than others.

Is it highlighted, or just reporting the request from the Department of Health?

7 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Is it highlighted, or just reporting the request from the Department of Health?

Why mention the cruise ship if it was not relevant. 

I bet if I was diagnosed and media found out (reported it which is doubtful), they would likely say 'MicCanberra is a frequent cruiser'.

It is relevant though. Those "on the ship have been instructed to self isolate until April 2nd"

A warning has been sent to all pax on that cruise. It doesn't apply to other cruises so the ship and cruise should be mentioned - plus it affects all cruisers on that so is relevant to both all those passengers, and anyone in contact with them.

Posted (edited)

Tasmania Health only become aware on Friday as the positive case was diagnosed interstate. The person disembarked in Sydney on March 19 off the Sun Princess.

The Tasmanian officials are waiting for the manifest of passengers so they can contact any Tasmanians that were onboard.

More than half of the positive cases in Tasmania have been from cruiseships as reported yesterday, Mercury newspaper.

Edited by megsie

Sun Princess has left Sydney & is heading north.

46 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Sun Princess has left Sydney & is heading north.

Maybe heading for more friendly waters. 😁

YES - the Sunshine Coast anchorage.  To join Dawn Princess & Sea Princess, plus Azimara Journey & Carnival Spirit if they anchor. 

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

YES - the Sunshine Coast anchorage.  To join Dawn Princess & Sea Princess, plus Azimara Journey & Carnival Spirit if they anchor. 

You would mean the Pacific Dawn 🙂. (Easy to make the mistake.)

We will have a fleet of idle cruise ships sitting off our coast. I sincerely hope the Queensland government doesn't try to move them on. They have to wait somewhere.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Yes - thanks. Pacific Dawn is anchored about 6 miles? off Caloundra with Sea Princess - not at the usual anchorage SE of Point Cartwright.

Azamara Journey is inbound in Moreton Bay & Wind Spirit is still at the container berth.

Carnival Spirit should arrive tomorrow.

Posted (edited)

Pacfic Dawn arrived on Sunday and is anchored off Caloundra and it was joined on Monday by one of the Sun Class ships - not sure which one.

As I type, Azamara has entered the shipping channel just off Caloundra and north Bribie Is which would indicate it's heading to port.  I wonder if they are reprovisioning/bunkering or making a medical stop? 

Seadog you just beat me to it😄

Edited by bronte2

Off topic I know, but Sea Princess is currently on the move headed in what looks to be a NE direction.

1 hour ago, bronte2 said:

Pacfic Dawn arrived on Sunday and is anchored off Caloundra and it was joined on Monday by one of the Sun Class ships - not sure which one.

Could it be the Pacific Explorer, the old Dawn Princess?

Thanks guys for keeping us updated about where the cruise ships are.

I'm pleased the Old Govt requested all cruise ships to move from off the Qld Coast.