NCL Kicked Us OFF Their Ship in a Foreign Country

tjbarney

Remember the ash cloud, Costa abandoned all passengers on the port in Dubai, refused to do anything, our insurance said act of God, we had to rent an apartment, there was 44000 visitors trapped, no passengers coming in, royal Caribbean took all there passengers out for another cruise.

Not a penny offered, fortunately I contacted the press, we were front page.

our bank manager paid all our staffs wages, crowne plaza didn’t charge extra for our car overstaying.

On returning after great expense, I called our insurance back saying the Press wanted a follow up... they must have googled the article and instantly paid up everything without excess...

Might add that Virgin passengers on Costa were the first to be accommodated.

We were Costa direct 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tjbarney said:

Lol, well there wasn't much time for us left on board at this point.  Luckily I am savvy and was able to get us flights booked well before a lot of the others.  The only reason we chose to "streamline" (as some other poster tried to use in a negative way) our transportation to the airport was the fact it was 2 hours away from the airport, in a major commercial port, and I figured we would have the easiest time getting reimbursed if we chose their direct service.  Ha, how wrong I was at that point in hoping they would stand by their word and reimburse us.  Our flights were nearly $1,100 per person as well, the cheapest option available.

Just trying to give my suggestions and opinions, but I'll stop now for obvious reasons.  

There are 4 people dead right now on a ship stuck out at sea and it’s barely in the news.  The world is in crisis and that is really the only focus of the news at the moment.  Does anyone really think this will get any movement in the press?

Edited by Liljo22

1 hour ago, tjbarney said:

Thank you for giving your experience and success, I'm so glad they listened and gave you a full refund.  We were super lucky to have just ended our NCL SE Asia cruise in Hong Kong on Jan 25 and barely got out of there.  Funny this happens to us on the very next NCL cruise we had scheduled.  I actually tried to get out of the SA cruise due to the fact I wasn't sure what was going on with the virus.  We too were told no way we would get a refund and would lose all our money.  I am glad we went and at least got the first half of our trip as it was a really cool cruise.

Do you have the CEO's email?

Sorry, I don't.  My email was to HAL.  I am sure someone here will have NCL CEO email.  

Frank Del Rio is not the CEO of NCL. FDR is the CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings a financial holding company that owns three cruise lines.

Harry Sommer is president and CEO NCL    harrysommer@ncl.com

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Petoonya said:

Frank Del Rio is not the CEO of NCL. FDR is the CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holding a financial holding company that owns three cruise lines.

Thank you very much

I can understand why NCL cancelled the cruise and had people disembark but there is 2 things NCL handled very badly. 1- Not providing free transportation to the airport for people whose cruise was cancelled and 2- Telling people they would be reimbursed for their flight changes and then not following through.   The more I read about how NCL treats their customers the more I am glad I got out of my cruise to Alaska before I paid in full.  When I book my Alaska cruise next year, it will not be with NCL.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

I can understand why NCL cancelled the cruise and had people disembark but there is 2 things NCL handled very badly. 1- Not providing free transportation to the airport for people whose cruise was cancelled and 2- Telling people they would be reimbursed for their flight changes and then not following through.   The more I read about how NCL treats their customers the more I am glad I got out of my cruise to Alaska before I paid in full.  When I book my Alaska cruise next year, it will not be with NCL.

I loved Alaska, we've done both, cruise and land.  I personally recommend Alaska by land (you can still do the glaciers from land excursions) via RV.

As for cruising, I personally felt the cruise we did around the tip of South America to be far greater than our Alaska cruise.  Namely because you get to see so much from the ship, cruising through the channels and glaciers as well as wildlife (penguins, seals, sea lions, dolphins, whales).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Frank Del Rio is not the CEO of NCL. FDR is the CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings a financial holding company that owns three cruise lines.

Even further...NCL, like NCLH, is also a financial holding company.

Every single ship in the fleet is a separate and  distinct corporation. 

1 hour ago, disneylover89 said:

They “told” people they would be reimbursed for flights?     

3 hours ago, tjbarney said:

Lol, well there wasn't much time for us left on board at this point.  Luckily I am savvy and was able to get us flights booked well before a lot of the others.  The only reason we chose to "streamline" (as some other poster tried to use in a negative way) our transportation to the airport was the fact it was 2 hours away from the airport, in a major commercial port, and I figured we would have the easiest time getting reimbursed if we chose their direct service.  Ha, how wrong I was at that point in hoping they would stand by their word and reimburse us.  Our flights were nearly $1,100 per person as well, the cheapest option available.

Now you mention you are savvy and got your own flights?    Good thing they were available.   The transfer can possibly be reimbursed-  but you’d need to take that up directly with NCL.    I got out on Sunday which excellent in my case on a wide open flight.   But of course unknown what would happen.   I was making arrangements for shipping if I was going to be stuck in Chile.      I had a lot going on to hedge my bets.  

20 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

They “told” people they would be reimbursed for flights?     

Well, the OP did say, but I think we all know that the officers don't have the final call on these type of procedures:  On the ship we were told by the officers that we were to keep our receipts for travel expenses occurred and upon returning home to contact NCL for reimbursement. 

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Well, the OP did say, but I think we all know that the officers don't have the final call on these type of procedures:  On the ship we were told by the officers that we were to keep our receipts for travel expenses occurred and upon returning home to contact NCL for reimbursement. 

Have claims even been submitted?    And do you think they have even been audited yet?   The cruise was only 2 weeks ago.   You can’t jump to conclusions until payments or denials are issued 

Just now, Budget Queen said:

Have claims even been submitted?    And do you think they have even been audited yet?   The cruise was only 2 weeks ago.   You can’t jump to conclusions until payments or denials are issued 

Did you even read my post, or a post a few below to OP? 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I have no idea, I was just responding about who said the cruise line would pay for the travel expenses and it appears that some officers said they would, according to the OP.  Whether it is correct or not, I have no idea.  

Edited by NLH Arizona

22 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

So what are you saying NCL “told”?

"Telling people they would be reimbursed for their flight changes and then not following through."  Just like Bowie sang.  Not flights, flight changes

Edited by Newleno

1 minute ago, NLH Arizona said:

I have no idea, I was just responding about who said the cruise line would pay for the travel expenses and it appears that some officers said they would.  Whether it is correct or not, I have no idea.  

It is correct, plus I even went to the guest relations desk and they told me the same thing.  I was also told by other B2B cruisers they were told the same thing.  I had a gut feeling they wouldn't honor it in the end since I didn't have anything in writing though.  Unfortunately, my gut feeling was correct.

Just now, tjbarney said:

It is correct, plus I even went to the guest relations desk and they told me the same thing.  I was also told by other B2B cruisers they were told the same thing.  I had a gut feeling they wouldn't honor it in the end since I didn't have anything in writing though.  Unfortunately, my gut feeling was correct.

Knowing that officers sometimes say what they think you want to hear, so you will leave them alone and that guest services don't always have the correct information, that is why I suggest you send a letter to Mr. Del Rio copying Mr. Sommer.

2 minutes ago, tjbarney said:

You have already been denied reimbursement of your submitted claim?    

5 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Knowing that officers sometimes say what they think you want to hear, so you will leave them alone and that guest services don't always have the correct information, that is why I suggest you send a letter to Mr. Del Rio copying Mr. Sommer.

I truly believe they just told everyone that so they wouldn't have a riot on their hands.  Some people were getting very loud.  I understood people being upset, but the crew had nothing to do with it and were only the messengers.

I have sent an email to Mr. Sommer, couldn't find the email for Mr. Del Rio.

Edited by tjbarney

1 minute ago, Budget Queen said:

You have already been denied reimbursement of your submitted claim?    

Yes, this was their emailed response:

Thank you for writing in.  We greatly appreciate the understanding of our valued guests during these fluid, unprecedented and challenging times. 

While we understand the basis of your request for compensation, respectfully, we are unable to comply with your request. Nevertheless, we are sorry for any discontent caused by our response.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond. We appreciate your patience in the interim and we sincerely regret any concern or inconvenience you may have experienced. We do value your business and hope that you will consider a Norwegian Cruise Line sailing in the near future.

Sincerely,

Joi Soles
Coordinator
Guest Relations

2 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Absolutely.  An official claim needs to be submitted-  factually in writing.