Jump to content

Cruises to resume after April 12, 2020 ?


mrstanley
 Share

Recommended Posts

On the Regent website it states that cruises are to resume after April 12, 2020.

Look at the itineraries for April ---- September. they must be joking!!!

Aside from Alaska these cruises require flying to Europe for USA citizens.

Really??? They should cancel these cruises and give a CASH refund. 

NO FCC as most passengers are over 70 and if the new Health form policies take

effect not many of us will be cruising again. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I strongly suspect that there will be no cruises until late September/early October at the very earliest.  I remain hopeful that by November It may be possible to cruise to some destinations but I wouldn't bet on it.

 

The infection rates during any epidemic involving such a contagious virus continue to rise for a lengthy period. The prevention measures such as social distancing can have a major impact but you can see from Italy, Spain & Switzerland what happens if travel is not rigidly controlled and an ageing/vulnerable population is exposed to risk.

 

When infection rates do start to fall the impact is still huge for months.  Sadly, the USA, like other highly populated countries with mass movement, is going to see astronomical figures in respect of both infection and death rates over the next 3 - 6 weeks. Beyond that the numbers affected worldwide will still be enormous for the next 2 - 3 months, at least. 

 

Seriously, I would think Jan 2021 for cruising to resume would actually be closer to the mark than April this year tbh. We'll see.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mrstanley said:

On the Regent website it states that cruises are to resume after April 12, 2020.

Look at the itineraries for April ---- September. they must be joking!!!

Aside from Alaska these cruises require flying to Europe for USA citizens.

Really??? They should cancel these cruises and give a CASH refund. 

NO FCC as most passengers are over 70 and if the new Health form policies take

effect not many of us will be cruising again. 

 

There will likely be an update to the April 12th resumption date on Monday (possibly Tuesday in the U.K.). 

 

In terms of a cash refund, it is required if Regent cancels the cruise (NOT if the passenger cancels the cruise).  Note:  These are U.S. requirements and may differ in other countries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pies4u said:

I strongly suspect that there will be no cruises until late September/early October at the very earliest.  I remain hopeful that by November It may be possible to cruise to some destinations but I wouldn't bet on it.

 

The infection rates during any epidemic involving such a contagious virus continue to rise for a lengthy period. The prevention measures such as social distancing can have a major impact but you can see from Italy, Spain & Switzerland what happens if travel is not rigidly controlled and an ageing/vulnerable population is exposed to risk.

 

When infection rates do start to fall the impact is still huge for months.  Sadly, the USA, like other highly populated countries with mass movement, is going to see astronomical figures in respect of both infection and death rates over the next 3 - 6 weeks. Beyond that the numbers affected worldwide will still be enormous for the next 2 - 3 months, at least. 

 

Seriously, I would think Jan 2021 for cruising to resume would actually be closer to the mark than April this year tbh. We'll see.

Sept./Oct sounds like a date that is real.   No way they could do it much before.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a cruise booked 16th July but will not be going. Final payment date is 17th April which wil not be made. I feel that Barcelona to Venice is not going to happen and that September could be a more likely start date, but I would prefer a vaccine in place before then.

Our small island is in lockdown and may be so for a few weeks yet, hence my decision has been reluctantly made. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Relax, the Apr. 12 date was used by most cruise lines as a "restart" date.  I'm sure it will go month to month.  I suspect that soon (probably Monday like Jackie says) there will be a new status update. Probably extending the cancellations into May, then at the end of April they'll extend it again if necessary.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Relax, the Apr. 12 date was used by most cruise lines as a "restart" date.  I'm sure it will go month to month.  I suspect that soon (probably Monday like Jackie says) there will be a new status update. Probably extending the cancellations into May, then at the end of April they'll extend it again if necessary.  

I believe that most people here are relaxed and realize their upcoming cruises will be canceled.  For upcoming cruises many people are concerned if they get a FCC or refund, canceling other travel plans, etc. What I am especially annoyed at is how they are handling the timing of the announcements for these upcoming  cancellations.  I don't like how NCL, Regent, and Oceania are handling this entire situation and will keep that in mind the next time I cruise. JMHO

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bbtondo said:

I believe that most people here are relaxed and realize their upcoming cruises will be canceled.  For upcoming cruises many people are concerned if they get a FCC or refund, canceling other travel plans, etc. What I am especially annoyed at is how they are handling the timing of the announcements for these upcoming  cancellations.  I don't like how NCL, Regent, and Oceania are handling this entire situation and will keep that in mind the next time I cruise. JMHO

 

Most other cruise lines have not announced cancellations very far in advance either (for obvious reasons).  Since both Holland America and Regent are scheduled to announce cancellations tomorrow, we will all learn more.

 

Being that Regent is generous enough to allow late cancellations, IMHO, passengers should be happy with FCC's.  After all, if you have to cancel this soon before a cruise (thinking April/May/June), you would lose your money (unless you have insurance).  On the other hand, if you wait patiently, if/when Regent cancels your cruise, you will have the option of a refund or 125% FCC.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bbtondo said:

I believe that most people here are relaxed and realize their upcoming cruises will be canceled.  For upcoming cruises many people are concerned if they get a FCC or refund, canceling other travel plans, etc. What I am especially annoyed at is how they are handling the timing of the announcements for these upcoming  cancellations.  I don't like how NCL, Regent, and Oceania are handling this entire situation and will keep that in mind the next time I cruise. JMHO

Yeah... I agree with Travelcat on this.  How would you have them handle it?  If the cruise sails, They're under no obligation to allow cancellation after final payment for 100% FCC.  They could easily force you to use an insurance policy with Cancel for any reason.  They very quickly announced the Regent Reassurance plan and from day one it went to Sep. 30.  None of the other cruise lines were that generous.  But I don't know what everyone expects.  You should check the other cruise lines and see their policies.  I suspect if you're angry at Regent to the point you'll not cruise with them, you won't ever cruise again because to my knowledge, no other line is any better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

 You should check the other cruise lines and see their policies.

To me the Crystal policy, Silversea policy and Seabourn policy all look to be as generous, if not more so, as that offered by Regent ........ or am I misreading things.

 

......... and none of the cruise-lines have amended their policies simply out of altruism; they are simply trying to hang on to their customers and protect cashflow during these troubled times.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

Yeah... I agree with Travelcat on this.  How would you have them handle it?  If the cruise sails, They're under no obligation to allow cancellation after final payment for 100% FCC.  They could easily force you to use an insurance policy with Cancel for any reason.  They very quickly announced the Regent Reassurance plan and from day one it went to Sep. 30.  None of the other cruise lines were that generous.  But I don't know what everyone expects.  You should check the other cruise lines and see their policies.  I suspect if you're angry at Regent to the point you'll not cruise with them, you won't ever cruise again because to my knowledge, no other line is any better.

I appreciate both your and Travel Cats point of view.  I just disagree, that's all.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, flossie009 said:

To me the Crystal policy, Silversea policy and Seabourn policy all look to be as generous, if not more so, as that offered by Regent ........ or am I misreading things.

 

......... and none of the cruise-lines have amended their policies simply out of altruism; they are simply trying to hang on to their customers and protect cashflow during these troubled times.

I don't disagree, they do look to be as generous, except Crystal which has a 7 day cancellation vs. Regent's 48 hours.  But my  point is really that bbtando was upset at how the cruise line is "handling" the situation, yet no one else seems to be handling it any better, so what should one expect the cruise line to do?   And of course they're trying to hang onto their customers.  But they are being somewhat altruistic in that they really could simply refer you to your Travel Insurance if you want to cancel a cruise that is going to actually sail.  Not trying to argue, I just think all the cruise lines are getting "attacked" for something that no one saw coming, and they're doing everything they can to be able to stay in business, and customers are complaining about  not "handling"  it well but no specifics.  IMHO we're lucky that they're offering us the chance to cancel without any real penalty.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

customers are complaining about  not "handling"  it well but no specifics

I agree that the cruise-lines could not have foreseen the extent and drastic affects of the pandemic, but I would offer three specifics as to how NCLH/Regent could be handling the fallout slightly better, and thereby improve customer relations:

  • regular communication with their customers and TAs and on social media - even if just to say "sorry, we have no further information or actions at this time but expect to give a further update in xx days"
  • more notice of inevitable cancellations. They could not do anything about the abrupt cancellations in March/early April, but it has been obvious for some time that some/all of the cruises scheduled for the rest of April/early May cannot proceed because of country lock-downs, lack of air transport, port closures etc
  • not require excessive periods to process refunds. IMO a reasonable period is 10-14 days extended to 30 days if there are complications. 

I think these have all been mentioned numerous times on this Board previously.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I don't disagree, they do look to be as generous, except Crystal which has a 7 day cancellation vs. Regent's 48 hours.  But my  point is really that bbtando was upset at how the cruise line is "handling" the situation, yet no one else seems to be handling it any better, so what should one expect the cruise line to do?   And of course they're trying to hang onto their customers.  But they are being somewhat altruistic in that they really could simply refer you to your Travel Insurance if you want to cancel a cruise that is going to actually sail.  Not trying to argue, I just think all the cruise lines are getting "attacked" for something that no one saw coming, and they're doing everything they can to be able to stay in business, and customers are complaining about  not "handling"  it well but no specifics.  IMHO we're lucky that they're offering us the chance to cancel without any real penalty.  

 

You did a great job of explaining the reality of the situation.  Complaining about Regent isn't going to help anyone and could serve to make a person more anxious than they already are.  

 

Regent probably processes very few cancellations per day and now they have hundreds to process.  I've noticed that people that have cancelled cruises in the future (beyond the penalty period) are getting refunds in a timely manner while people whose cruises were cancelled by Regent are taking longer (simply due to the volume).   I still do not know how many FCC's we have from our March 14th cruise but am certainly not stressing about it - nor do I feel that Regent is doing poor job.  Regent allowed us to book a cruise with FCC's and the details will be figured out when they have time.  Whenever we deal with Regent directly or through our TA, we generally tell them that it is not a rush (because it truly isn't for most of us).  Everyone that is due a refund will receive their refund and the same goes for FCC's.  We just need to chill out a bit.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

I agree that the cruise-lines could not have foreseen the extent and drastic affects of the pandemic, but I would offer three specifics as to how NCLH/Regent could be handling the fallout slightly better, and thereby improve customer relations:

  • regular communication with their customers and TAs and on social media - even if just to say "sorry, we have no further information or actions at this time but expect to give a further update in xx days"
  • more notice of inevitable cancellations. They could not do anything about the abrupt cancellations in March/early April, but it has been obvious for some time that some/all of the cruises scheduled for the rest of April/early May cannot proceed because of country lock-downs, lack of air transport, port closures etc
  • not require excessive periods to process refunds. IMO a reasonable period is 10-14 days extended to 30 days if there are complications. 

I think these have all been mentioned numerous times on this Board previously.

Fair enough.  I guess I'm just more patient.  I assume our June cruise will be cancelled, probably sometime in May as this progresses.  I suspect that Regent is also hoping beyond hope that they can resume the cruises.  I also assume that they must be at minimum staffing as much as possible, after all, they too are being asked to isolate as much as possible.  I don't know how much access their agents have to account information, but I can only imagine it's fairly limited from a home computer.  I also assume that the refunds or 125% FCC offered for cancelled cruises are going through the Travel Agent who booked the cruise, so a lag time there.  

I guess what I'm saying is that for me, they have been pretty straight forward on the Regent Website, and I suppose I am more willing to allow things to "shake out" before they cancel anymore cruises.  And I will say that, IMHO, if they put out a statement daily saying "sorry, no further information," it would only enflame the ire of some people.  It seems as soon as they get the word and come up with a decision, they do their best to get the word those who need it most, followed by an official posting. 

Anyway, I appreciate your points, but these are extraordinary times that change almost hourly.  So I just feel that tolerance and patience is a must.  Hopefully we'll be back to the discussions of what brand champagne is in the cabin on boarding day.  😎

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

papaflamingo - again, good points.  I suspect that, if Regent does not make the announcement today, people will be upset (even though this is what our TA has been told would happen.  Regent closes for the day in three hours!  Personally, I would rather be told nothing than to be given incorrect information.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

papaflamingo - again, good points.  I suspect that, if Regent does not make the announcement today, people will be upset (even though this is what our TA has been told would happen.  Regent closes for the day in three hours!  Personally, I would rather be told nothing than to be given incorrect information.

 

 

It appears Regent has canceled some cruises but have not posted yet.  I just placed my cruise itinerary number into the Regent refund request page.  It now is allowing me to take a refund for my Explorer May cruise.  I expect the web site got ahead of marketing.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, v4e said:

 

 

It appears Regent has canceled some cruises but have not posted yet.  I just placed my cruise itinerary number into the Regent refund request page.  It now is allowing me to take a refund for my Explorer May cruise.  I expect the web site got ahead of marketing.  

 

Thanks so much:classic_biggrin:

 

Just read on the Holland America board that they have cancelled cruises through May 15, 2020.

Edited by Travelcat2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, v4e said:

 

 

It appears Regent has canceled some cruises but have not posted yet.  I just placed my cruise itinerary number into the Regent refund request page.  It now is allowing me to take a refund for my Explorer May cruise.  I expect the web site got ahead of marketing.  

Interesting. Where's your cruise to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...