Viking cabin size versus others

clojacks

We are considering our first Viking Ocean cruise, if this crap ever ends....probably not until 2022 regardless, but having never sailed Viking Ocean ships, we're wondering how the Veranda/Deluxe Verandas compare in size to other lines balcony/veranda cabins. More often than not, we have sailed Celebrity's balcony's...in Standard, Aqua and Concierge, and those, depending on ship class, often feel a little tight. I know Viking includes the Balcony size in their 270 Square foot measurements, but I don't know if others do, and I can't say (without looking it up) what there cabin sizes measure at. We are looking at possibly 30 days, and don't want to feel like we are in a closet for that long, but the Penthouse's and Suites on Viking are outside of our budget.

Also, Viking seems to have a ton of cabin classifications. For Veranda cabins, they have 8 different categories. For the uninformed, are they location based or are there distinct differences in the categories?

Edited by clojacks

I think you’ll be surprisingly satisfied with VikingOcean cabins.  They are very well thought out, the bathrooms are the best I’ve found in 35 years of cruising in a standard room. The extra excitement is the amount of space available around the ship.  Lots of nooks and crannies, sufficient bar space, even the World Cafe buffet can accommodate everyone.  Never a wait for dining room open seating, either!

Have sailed, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess and Holland America.  Did a segment of Viking Sun WC last year, Sydney to Durban!  Top shelf plus!!!! Had our Viking Jupiter March 15 cruise cancelled, but booked on Viking Sky for October. 

Keep planning, it’s all terrific!

We sailed Viking to Norway and Iceland last summer.  Having cruised with Oceania, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Aqua Class, the balcony class cabin was equally as good as all other ships.

The food, wine and service were excellent.

The two  downsides of the ship was one,  the main dining area.  The  acoustics were terrible. Very loud.   We were unable  to have a  conversation with our  friends sitting across from us  and we had difficulty hearing our waiter.  The seating was pretty much body to body in some areas.  The other was there was no "quiet space" to retreat to like a library, etc.

There are different levels of being able to "book"  reservations both for excursions and specialty restaurants depending of DV category.  The lowest level also does not get the "mini" bar replenished.  But as far as I know size is exactly the same.

I usually found it very quiet on the second level of the Explorer's Lounge for gazing about and reading. 

• Like 1

Good cabin info.  I will say we also find the baths the best ever unless in a large suite.  Love the heated floor.  And strangely, after being in a DV for 4 months, twice, they seem to grow larger not smaller as time goes by.  Compared to any other lines veranda cabins I think you will like Viking's best.

• Like 1

We sailed a revolutionized veranda in Celebrity Millennium last September and disembarked from Viking Sky almost two weeks ago.  I found both staterooms almost identical space wise (DH says he believes the one on Viking was larger). But it is the bathroom where Viking excels. The shower is much more gracious and for us over six feet six tall, not having to step up into the restroom and watch our heads in and out of the shower is a big improvement. 

The DVs biggest downfall is the closet location which is beside the bed as opposed to at the entry. As I recall, we must preferred ax’s arrangement.  

One tip to make a DV seem larger is to rearrange the two chairs. Rather than have them with their back to the wall, we move one 90° so it’s back is to the balcony door and move the elliptical table into the corner between the two chairs. This makes it much easier to move around the room, especially if someone is sitting at the desk/dressing table. 

• Like 1

We sailed last summer for 38 days (Vancouver to Hong Kong) and chose the Penthouse Veranda.  The main difference over the Veranda/DV is that the stateroom is about 3 feet wider allowing for a reposition of the closet, a larger bathroom, a sofa & one chair and the addition of a dresser opposite the bed. This makes a huge difference for storage on longer cruises. We thought of trying to upgrade to a Penthouse Junior Suite (even more width) but found the PV was way more than sufficient and have booked two more cruises in the PVs. Highly recommend if you can stretch your budget a bit. 

Edited by WestW
  • Like 1

We had a DV for our Northern Lights cruise and found it quite suitable, even though we had a good amount of cold weather gear that had to find its way into the closets. A bit more drawer space would be nice, however. Next time around (whenever that might be?) I'd be tempted to try a PV.  I also liked the heated floor in the bathroom - didn't think I would at first but after coming back in the room from some of those cold Norway excursions, it felt pretty good 🙂 

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

We had a DV for our Northern Lights cruise and found it quite suitable, even though we had a good amount of cold weather gear that had to find its way into the closets. A bit more drawer space would be nice, however. Next time around (whenever that might be?) I'd be tempted to try a PV.  I also liked the heated floor in the bathroom - didn't think I would at first but after coming back in the room from some of those cold Norway excursions, it felt pretty good 🙂 

PV much nicer/better. You can even turn around in the shower without banging your elbows.

5 minutes ago, duquephart said:

PV much nicer/better. You can even turn around in the shower without banging your elbows.

But, for a B2B of 30 days, probably about $5000 more total. I could probably survive in a D6 for that difference.

• Like 1

random thoughts...newer ships ( I think Sun forward)  have the ability to  turn the "heated" bathroom floor on/off, which is perfect!  Also when we were on the sun there are additional drawers built into the closet, a great bonus as short things can still hang above. 

24 minutes ago, deec said:

random thoughts...newer ships ( I think Sun forward)  have the ability to  turn the "heated" bathroom floor on/off, which is perfect!  Also when we were on the sun there are additional drawers built into the closet, a great bonus as short things can still hang above. 

They can be cut off on all ships. On the first ones though you have to ask the room steward to do it. I suspect they flip a circuit breaker. 

We haven’t done a cold weather cruise so we always have to ask to have it turned off to keep the bathroom from being too hot. 

• Like 2

On 3/29/2020 at 2:47 PM, deec said:

Great idea about the chair location!!!  Will definitely try it when next onboard!!

New arrangement saves barking shins as well.

I picked up the idea here on CC and have been doing it ever since. Doesn't look as elegant but it is a much better use of space.

They can be cut off on all ships. On the first ones though you have to ask the room steward to do it. I suspect they flip a circuit breaker. 

We haven’t done a cold weather cruise so we always have to ask to have it turned off to keep the bathroom from being too hot. 

If memory serves, on Jupiter the control lets you adjust the temperature; not just off/on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On 3/30/2020 at 11:33 AM, clojacks said:

But, for a B2B of 30 days, probably about $5000 more total. I could probably survive in a D6 for that difference.

The regular verandah is fine; we managed in one cruising from Auckland to Bali, about 28 days.  However I will say that we were upgraded to a Penthouse Verandah for our Dec South American cruise and it was really spacious, I don't think I can go back to a regular verandah and I'm glad that we had decided to book a PV for Southeast Asia.  Based on what you said is the upgrade cost, it's about an extra $167 per day - the other advantage is that you have higher priority for booking excursions & reservations for the specialty restaurants.  It also depends on how much time you like to be in your cabin - if you don't spend a lot of time in the cabin, then go for the less expensive option.  There are plenty of comfortable public places throughout the ship to enjoy.  

• Like 1