Jump to content

Any news from the Amsterdam?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Hats Off To Capt. Mercer !  He handled a difficult situation very well.

 

He will be missed by many. We wish him well.

 

He will.

 

Fair winds and following seas, Captain Mercer. HAL won't be the same without you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ellieanne said:

 

He will.

 

Fair winds and following seas, Captain Mercer. HAL won't be the same without you.

he will be declared a saint by the time he comes back to seattle.......

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 5:53 AM, bcummin said:

This week's Safeway ad has Sweet Red Cherries on sale for $2.99 lb. USD here in Washington State.  First good sale price.

Barbara

i just bought 2 kilos of white apragus here in my hometown in germany at € 7.50 per kilo. i am sure all of you wanted to know.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, michaelfl said:

i just bought 2 kilos of white apragus here in my hometown in germany at € 7.50 per kilo. i am sure all of you wanted to know.....

there in season now..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruzingnut said:

Jay from the front desk posted this video as the tender with the Captain and Karen circled the ship.  So wonderful!!

 

Angel also posted a video.

 

Linda R.

I hope there were also salutes from other HAL ships in the harbor.  Godspeed, Captain.

 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so glad to know this.  I am so glad that the Amsterdam saluted Captain Mercer as he left his Command and entered retirement.  I am so glad that Angel included in her video a part of Andrea Bocelli's Time to Say Good-Bye.  

 

Captain and Mrs. Mercer:  My most sincere wishes to you both for a retirement that is healthy and enjoyable!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I hope he posts on his blog once he is safely home.

 

During his retirement, I hope he will consider writing a book about his career.  A book detailing the stories of the 2020 Grand World Cruise might be enough for a volume.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I hope there were also salutes from other HAL ships in the harbor.  Godspeed, Captain.

 

I do as well.  Perhaps other posts will appear that will allow us to celebrate Captain Mercer's retirement.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

During his retirement, I hope he will consider writing a book about his career.  A book detailing the stories of the 2020 Grand World Cruise might be enough for a volume.  

He's already written the  book (I have a copy), but this new experience certainly deserves an added chapter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 I am looking forward to reading Captain Jonathan's next post on his blog.  Leaving the Amsterdam must have been emotional.  I hope he and his wife have their toes in the sand on a sunny beach with a beverage of choice in hand.  Cherie

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fredspak said:

He's already written the  book (I have a copy), but this new experience certainly deserves an added chapter.

I also have a copy but its still on the ship in the luggage they'll ship back when they have a chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SharonN said:

I also have a copy but its still on the ship in the luggage they'll ship back when they have a chance.

We hope.  Right now we are a prisoner of our house as we can’t go away for any period of time because our luggage could show up.  Plus it would be hard to travel without some of the items in the luggage.  At what point is HAL going to give us some kind of timeline?  Our TA checked yesterday but got no answer.  They took our $500 to ship it so ship it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

I do as well.  Perhaps other posts will appear that will allow us to celebrate Captain Mercer's retirement.  

what do you want to "celebrate" ? he has done nothing but fulfilling his duties as the captain of a passenger ship.......even under exceptional circumstances. i have had him on 4 world cruises - and yes - he has always done what was expected from a captain, looking after his passengers and his crew. period.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, michaelfl said:

what do you want to "celebrate" ? he has done nothing but fulfilling his duties as the captain of a passenger ship.......even under exceptional circumstances. i have had him on 4 world cruises - and yes - he has always done what was expected from a captain, looking after his passengers and his crew. period.

 

 

How about celebrating the start of a new chapter in his life,  his new opportunities, and hopefully a long enjoyable retirement, after a working life where he made contributions to his company, his co-workers, his crew, and his passengers?  All that sounds like plenty to celebrate, imho.

Edited by VennDiagram
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, michaelfl said:

what do you want to "celebrate" ? he has done nothing but fulfilling his duties as the captain of a passenger ship.......even under exceptional circumstances. i have had him on 4 world cruises - and yes - he has always done what was expected from a captain, looking after his passengers and his crew. period.

 

Jonathan Mercer was a fine Captain--one of the best, if not the best!

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

 

How about celebrating the start of a new chapter in his life,  his new opportunities, and hopefully a long enjoyable retirement, after a working life where he made contributions to his company, his co-workers, his crew, and his passengers?  All that sounds like plenty to celebrate, imho.

 

AMEN

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...