Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mrlevin

Simple Poll - When Will You Cruise Again

When Will You Cruise Again  

147 members have voted

  1. 1. When Will You Cruise Again

    • As soon as cruises start up
      25
    • Will wait a few months in order to see how many cases show up
      28
    • Next year
      48
    • Not until a vaccine is available
      46


Recommended Posts

I have 4 I am trying to make this year...lets see which ones hit. Thankfully most are later in the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We won't be cruising until next fall but this has nothing to do with Covid 19. My DH has re-started his cancer treatments and we can't travel until sometime in 2021. We had to cancel our fall Baltic cruise for that reason. 

I wish everyone happy sailing when it is once again safe to travel whenever that may be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

January 31st 2021 we are due to sail Voyager Buenos Aires to Lima. Seems the right gap cannot see much happening till September from the European side of the pond perspective UK and Europe cruises this summer looking very unlikely as we have been told today to lockdown till June. Italy and Spain are likely to be closed to tourists till then as well. NY from your side equally affected. Few flights till high summer either, that is assuming most airlines survive this. Equally I do not think all cruise lines will get through this !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1982CruzStart said:

We won't be cruising until next fall but this has nothing to do with Covid 19. My DH has re-started his cancer treatments and we can't travel until sometime in 2021. We had to cancel our fall Baltic cruise for that reason. 

I wish everyone happy sailing when it is once again safe to travel whenever that may be. 

 

Prayers for your DH.  May he get through his treatments as easily as possible and may it never return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

November 14, 2020 Lisbon to Cape Town. We hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of those answers.  I'll cruise again when it's safe, if our finances allow, and if the cruise lines don't ban us completely for being over 70.

 

Today, I'm of the mood desperately hanging on to a thread of hope about our 2021 world cruise.  I really, really want to do that cruise! But I know this is probably a vain hope.  It's looking more and more like we'll cancel, and perhaps never cruise again.  But today I'm feeling hopeful, ha ha.

 

You should have included "Never". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

None of those answers.  I'll cruise again when it's safe, if our finances allow, and if the cruise lines don't ban us completely for being over 70.

 

Today, I'm of the mood desperately hanging on to a thread of hope about our 2021 world cruise.  I really, really want to do that cruise! But I know this is probably a vain hope.  It's looking more and more like we'll cancel, and perhaps never cruise again.  But today I'm feeling hopeful, ha ha.

 

You should have included "Never". 

 

Wendy, yes, I should have included "never;" however, I thought waiting on vaccine would cover all others.  

 

Marc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mrlevin said:

 

Wendy, yes, I should have included "never;" however, I thought waiting on vaccine would cover all others.  

 

Marc

 

Yeah, except for the fact that the standard flu vaccine is not 100% effective, right?  So should we expect any new vaccine for covid-19 to be so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are scheduled for a short 10 day LA to LA cruise to Mexico on the Mariner in October. No flights for us and largely paid for by the fcc's we received when the Navigator ran aground in Bali in 2018. 

If this pandemic has settled down by then, we'll be on it. Fully expecting it will be ok by then, but who knows?

Also booked an October 2021 Rome to Abu Dhabi to replace the April 16th cruise this is yet to be canceled (expect this week). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m all on for 28 Nov 20.  Hopefully, we will be past this pandemic. Good luck to all and stay safe. 
Z and TB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

 

Yeah, except for the fact that the standard flu vaccine is not 100% effective, right?  So should we expect any new vaccine for covid-19 to be so?

Exactly!  I keep saying that also!  We don't really have a vaccine for the flu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that most people in the U.S. that actually have the flu vaccine every year find it very effective.  Doctors have given stronger doses to seniors for a few years so being older is not as much as an issue with the flu vaccine.  One article that I just read states that 85% of children that die from the flu were not vaccinated.  So, let's not put down a vaccine that has saved millions of lives.  The major reason for dying after a flu shot is due to their allergy to eggs (something that is asked of everyone prior to receiving the vaccine).

 

In terms of this specific virus, it has yet to be determined if it is recurring.  Will it subside in the summer and early fall and return in December?  We cruise almost every year in the late fall and have seen quite a few cases of flu, colds, gastroenteritis, etc.  It is a challenging time of the year to cruise.  Even if we have a vaccine for Covid-19 by the end of the year, how many people will actually have it or will they be afraid?  So many questions ....... so few answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now predict that cruise lines will do what the United States is doing ......... extending the shut-down until April 30th (at which time it will be re-evaluated).  I could be wrong........ I could be right........ we'll learn tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the cruise lines will be shut down until July 1... let’s hope this virus is ending, and we can go back to living.

Sheila

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I now predict that cruise lines will do what the United States is doing ......... extending the shut-down until April 30th (at which time it will be re-evaluated).  I could be wrong........ I could be right........ we'll learn tomorrow.

sadly, what the US is doing is not necessarily a beacon of hope for many  ... 😞 ( I don't want to start the political discussion here, just merely noting - how many of us would be happy to go on a cruise now if the situation was like the current on in NY, or CA?) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The flu vaccine is important to get every year, although it's effectivenessin the last 14 years has ranged from a low of 10% to a high of 60% with an average of 40% (in the US). There have only been 4 years out of those 14 years where it's effectiveness is greater than 50%. Even with these OK but not great statistics, I will get a flu shot every year. Having said that, it's way too early to have a solid prediction on where COVID-19 is going and when it will be contained and/or eliminated. I for one want to see this settle down (and not come back in force) before planning any future cruises, so sadly I don't see us cruising until later in 2021 at the earliest and no new bookings until we get through another COVID-19 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

Prayers for your DH.  May he get through his treatments as easily as possible and may it never return.

Thanks for your kind words. My DH's cancer is chronic and he has been living with it for at least 20 years. We are very lucky in that he is not likely to die or be seriously ill from it but it does require periodic treatment. This is the second round of treatment he has had to have.  The first round was about 12 years ago and he started again about 2 years ago but due to other conditions he has been on and off treatment during the 2 years. Hopefully this round will be successful in putting it into remission once again but in the meantime no travel for the a portion of the treatment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Thanks for your kind words. My DH's cancer is chronic and he has been living with it for at least 20 years. We are very lucky in that he is not likely to die or be seriously ill from it but it does require periodic treatment. This is the second round of treatment he has had to have.  The first round was about 12 years ago and he started again about 2 years ago but due to other conditions he has been on and off treatment during the 2 years. Hopefully this round will be successful in putting it into remission once again but in the meantime no travel for the a portion of the treatment. 

 

Sounds as if he has CLL (which is thought to be the best form of the disease since it can go on indefinitely).  My sister has it and did one round a couple of years ago and is doing fine now.  Soon the treatment will be over and you can resume cruising.  Just stay healthy!🙏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is a totally irresponsible decision by NCLH; cancelling cruises for 30 days instead of having a plan.  Here is the announcement:

 

Quote

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. Announces Extension of Voluntary Suspension of Voyages

BY GlobeNewswire
— 4:30 PM ET 03/30/2020
 

Extended Suspension Includes Voyages for Norwegian Cruise Line ( NCLH 

 
  Loading...Loading...  
 
), Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises with Embarkation Dates from April 12 through May 10, 2020

 

Suspension Contributes to Global Efforts to Stem the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus

MIAMI, March 30, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. ( NCLH 

 
  Loading...Loading...  
 
) (“Norwegian” or “the Company”) , a leading global cruise company which operates the Norwegian Cruise Line ( NCLH 
 
  Loading...Loading...  
 
), Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises brands, today announced an extension of its previously announced voluntary suspension of all cruise voyages to include voyages embarking between April 12 and May 10, 2020 for its three cruise brands. The extended suspension contributes to the global efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19, which has also resulted in travel restrictions and continued uncertainty regarding worldwide port closures and availability.

 

“With COVID-19 continuing to have a significant impact on communities throughout the world, we are extending our temporary suspension of cruise voyages across our three brands through May 10th,” said Frank Del Rio, president and chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. ( NCLH 

 
  Loading...Loading...  
 
) “While we understand this disruption may inconvenience our loyal guests and valued travel partners, we are committed first and foremost to protecting the safety, security and well-being of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit. We appreciate their continued understanding as we navigate through these unprecedented times and do our part to help global efforts to contain this pandemic.”

 

Guests who are currently booked on voyages with embarkation dates between March 13 and May 10, 2020 on Norwegian Cruise Line ( NCLH 

 
  Loading...Loading...  
 
), Oceania Cruises or Regent Seven Seas Cruises are asked to contact their travel agent or the cruise line for more information.  [/quote]

 

Where is the plan?  What about Europe?  What about Alaska?  Why total ignorance of Canada's closing of their ports?  This is so irresponsible.  NCLH management has no idea what to do.  My new forecast:

 

Mariner stay in Hawaii until start of World Cruise

Voyager first cruise still Lisbon to Cape Town

Explorer stay in Bahamas until ready to cruise in Caribbean sometime in the fall

Splendor stay in San Diego until ready for Caribbean sometime in the fall

Navigator stay in Hawaii until sold to Asian cruise company (Pierce Brosnan and Selma Hayek to help with marketing)

 

Can I say again, NCLH is acting totally irresponsibly.

 

Marc

 

 

Edited by mrlevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 12:00 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

None of those answers.  I'll cruise again when it's safe, if our finances allow, and if the cruise lines don't ban us completely for being over 70.

 

Today, I'm of the mood desperately hanging on to a thread of hope about our 2021 world cruise.  I really, really want to do that cruise! But I know this is probably a vain hope.  It's looking more and more like we'll cancel, and perhaps never cruise again.  But today I'm feeling hopeful, ha ha.

 

You should have included "Never". 

Kind of with you Wendy.  For Joe and I, it is that over 70 thing.  If they don't get that out, we will never cruise again.  We have a New England/Canada cruise booked for next year, but that medical thing with the 7 day policy makes it impossible.  We can get the letter, but 7 days doesn't work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

This is a totally irresponsible decision by NCLH; cancelling cruises for 30 days instead of having a plan.  Here is the announcement:

 

With all your incessant criticism of Regent on several boards, guess you will never sail Regent again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...