Recipe for Crooners' Dunes cocktail

BabsinTX

We were on the 28-day Hawaii, Tahiti & Samoa cruise on Emerald Princess in February 2020.  Amazing cruise, though we missed Samoa.  Our favorite bar was Crooners and I discovered the Dunes cocktail there.   I've worked up a recipe that's pretty close to the original.  In Texas liquor stores are deemed "essential businesses" during the coronavirus outbreak; maybe they are in your state or country too.

1 ounce coconut rum (I used Malibu brand)

1 ounce Midori melon liqueur

1 ounce banana liqueur (mine is imitation, which I didn’t realize for a while)

2 ounces pineapple juice

2 ounces sweet & sour mix

Mix together with ice and enjoy!

• Like 2

Chairman of the Board

Original Recipe:
3 parts Grey Goose Vodka
3 parts Bombay Sapphire Gin
1 part Cointreau
Chilled over ice and strained
Rim glass with twist then use as garnish

New Version:

image.png.2a37c8a0a4ea65254853dbe80c02ecc9.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

Chairman of the Board

Original Recipe:
3 parts Grey Goose Vodka
1 part Cointreau

New Version:

Love Chairman of the Board!  I'm not sure if I've had the new version though.

10 hours ago, ExploringTheGlobe said:

Love Chairman of the Board!  I'm not sure if I've had the new version though.

I had planned to find out how it is this November/December but I have serious doubts about the cruise(s) happening. Dang!  I'm also a bit bummed because I once purchased 2 decks of cards from Crooner's with a recipe on each one. I know I gave one to our oldest son but thought I had kept the second deck for myself. I was going to finally open it up and check all the recipes but can't find it anywhere. Possibly I gave the second deck to our other son. Sigh...  If I ever get to cruise again I'll ask if they still have the decks and get another one for myself. Of course, even if I do get to cruise again, and even if they do have the cards, they may well have revised versions of the recipes.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I had planned to find out how it is this November/December but I have serious doubts about the cruise(s) happening. Dang!  I'm also a bit bummed because I once purchased 2 decks of cards from Crooner's with a recipe on each one. I know I gave one to our oldest son but thought I had kept the second deck for myself. I was going to finally open it up and check all the recipes but can't find it anywhere. Possibly I gave the second deck to our other son. Sigh...  If I ever get to cruise again I'll ask if they still have the decks and get another one for myself. Of course, even if I do get to cruise again, and even if they do have the cards, they may well have revised versions of the recipes.

I didn't realize those cards had recipes on them.  My next cruise is "supposed" to be early June.  If it happens, I'll have to see if I can get some!

34 minutes ago, ExploringTheGlobe said:

I didn't realize those cards had recipes on them.  My next cruise is "supposed" to be early June.  If it happens, I'll have to see if I can get some!

Only the cards from Crooner's had recipes. 52 cards with a recipe on each one. I "think" they may have been sold as Tee Many Martoonis but not sure. If they have them the bartender in Crooner's will know.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Only the cards from Crooner's had recipes. 52 cards with a recipe on each one. I "think" they may have been sold as Tee Many Martoonis but not sure. If they have them the bartender in Crooner's will know.

Yes! I remember seeing them just didnt realize they had recipes on them. I'll definitely inquire. If the cruise happens, it will be on the Caribbean Princess which has my favorite Crooners location and configuration. 

46 minutes ago, Plant said:

Just out of curiosity I looked on eBay for "Princess Crooners" and found some cards for about $20.00.  Too expensive, IMO.

Yes. eBay often has Princess items for crazy prices. "Only" $8.95 plus $4.00 shipping for the standard blue tote bag. $9.00 plus $3.85 shipping for 10 Princess Logo Pens. 2 of the cheap plastic Princess Coasters - you know, the ones they give out as prizes - for only $8.99 with FREE shipping!

GAH!!!

• Like 1

We asked for the cards on our February 2020 cruise but they changed their menus so they stopped selling the cards. The new chairman of the boards has bitters in it, I thought it was horrible and was told I could ask for the old style. They will make some of the old recipes if they still carry the proper liquor or can substitute to come close. They can still make some martinis like the Violetta or Skyfall, not on any menu so you have to know what you want from the old menu or the cards. I will borrow them from our son to make a list of my favourites before my next cruise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, compozer said:

I can't drink a chairman of the board - terrible.

New version or old version?  They put olives in it once and I sent it back for a complete do-over. Olives ruined it. A twist goes well with the Cointreau.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 4:13 PM, Thrak said:

Chairman of the Board

Original Recipe:
3 parts Grey Goose Vodka
1 part Cointreau

New Version:

Guess what?  They changed the recipe.  Used a different gin and added bitters.  Yuk!  Be sure to ask for the old recipe.