Jump to content

Recipe for Crooners' Dunes cocktail


BabsinTX
 Share

Recommended Posts

We were on the 28-day Hawaii, Tahiti & Samoa cruise on Emerald Princess in February 2020.  Amazing cruise, though we missed Samoa.  Our favorite bar was Crooners and I discovered the Dunes cocktail there.   I've worked up a recipe that's pretty close to the original.  In Texas liquor stores are deemed "essential businesses" during the coronavirus outbreak; maybe they are in your state or country too.

 

1 ounce coconut rum (I used Malibu brand)

1 ounce Midori melon liqueur

1 ounce banana liqueur (mine is imitation, which I didn’t realize for a while)

2 ounces pineapple juice

2 ounces sweet & sour mix

 

Mix together with ice and enjoy!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Chairman of the Board

Original Recipe:
3 parts Grey Goose Vodka
3 parts Bombay Sapphire Gin
1 part Cointreau
Chilled over ice and strained
Rim glass with twist then use as garnish

 

New Version:

image.png.2a37c8a0a4ea65254853dbe80c02ecc9.png

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

 

Chairman of the Board

Original Recipe:
3 parts Grey Goose Vodka
3 parts Bombay Sapphire Gin
1 part Cointreau
Chilled over ice and strained
Rim glass with twist then use as garnish

 

 

 

 

New Version:

image.png.2a37c8a0a4ea65254853dbe80c02ecc9.png

 

Love Chairman of the Board!  I'm not sure if I've had the new version though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ExploringTheGlobe said:

Love Chairman of the Board!  I'm not sure if I've had the new version though.

 

I had planned to find out how it is this November/December but I have serious doubts about the cruise(s) happening. Dang!  I'm also a bit bummed because I once purchased 2 decks of cards from Crooner's with a recipe on each one. I know I gave one to our oldest son but thought I had kept the second deck for myself. I was going to finally open it up and check all the recipes but can't find it anywhere. Possibly I gave the second deck to our other son. Sigh...  If I ever get to cruise again I'll ask if they still have the decks and get another one for myself. Of course, even if I do get to cruise again, and even if they do have the cards, they may well have revised versions of the recipes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

 

I had planned to find out how it is this November/December but I have serious doubts about the cruise(s) happening. Dang!  I'm also a bit bummed because I once purchased 2 decks of cards from Crooner's with a recipe on each one. I know I gave one to our oldest son but thought I had kept the second deck for myself. I was going to finally open it up and check all the recipes but can't find it anywhere. Possibly I gave the second deck to our other son. Sigh...  If I ever get to cruise again I'll ask if they still have the decks and get another one for myself. Of course, even if I do get to cruise again, and even if they do have the cards, they may well have revised versions of the recipes.

I didn't realize those cards had recipes on them.  My next cruise is "supposed" to be early June.  If it happens, I'll have to see if I can get some!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, ExploringTheGlobe said:

I didn't realize those cards had recipes on them.  My next cruise is "supposed" to be early June.  If it happens, I'll have to see if I can get some!

 

Only the cards from Crooner's had recipes. 52 cards with a recipe on each one. I "think" they may have been sold as Tee Many Martoonis but not sure. If they have them the bartender in Crooner's will know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

 

Only the cards from Crooner's had recipes. 52 cards with a recipe on each one. I "think" they may have been sold as Tee Many Martoonis but not sure. If they have them the bartender in Crooner's will know.

Yes! I remember seeing them just didnt realize they had recipes on them. I'll definitely inquire. If the cruise happens, it will be on the Caribbean Princess which has my favorite Crooners location and configuration. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Plant said:

Just out of curiosity I looked on eBay for "Princess Crooners" and found some cards for about $20.00.  Too expensive, IMO.

 

Yes. eBay often has Princess items for crazy prices. "Only" $8.95 plus $4.00 shipping for the standard blue tote bag. $9.00 plus $3.85 shipping for 10 Princess Logo Pens. 2 of the cheap plastic Princess Coasters - you know, the ones they give out as prizes - for only $8.99 with FREE shipping!

GAH!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We asked for the cards on our February 2020 cruise but they changed their menus so they stopped selling the cards. The new chairman of the boards has bitters in it, I thought it was horrible and was told I could ask for the old style. They will make some of the old recipes if they still carry the proper liquor or can substitute to come close. They can still make some martinis like the Violetta or Skyfall, not on any menu so you have to know what you want from the old menu or the cards. I will borrow them from our son to make a list of my favourites before my next cruise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, compozer said:

I can't drink a chairman of the board - terrible.

 

 

New version or old version?  They put olives in it once and I sent it back for a complete do-over. Olives ruined it. A twist goes well with the Cointreau.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 4:13 PM, Thrak said:

 

Chairman of the Board

Original Recipe:
3 parts Grey Goose Vodka
3 parts Bombay Sapphire Gin
1 part Cointreau
Chilled over ice and strained
Rim glass with twist then use as garnish

 

 

 

 

New Version:

image.png.2a37c8a0a4ea65254853dbe80c02ecc9.png

 

Guess what?  They changed the recipe.  Used a different gin and added bitters.  Yuk!  Be sure to ask for the old recipe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...