Jump to content

Insurance premium refunded if cruise cancelled?


Recommended Posts

On 4/2/2020 at 10:58 PM, bissel said:

Hi Steve,

 

So they can’t dismiss the claim even though the cruise itself may be cancelled. That’s good.

Generally speaking, how long does it take to get the decision? Generally?

I’m thinking  Regent will cancel end of April, mid May. I would like it done by then. If they still have questions by then I intend to pursue it.

 

Thanks so much. Always helpful!

Hi bissel,

 

You're welcome. Sorry about the delay responding. I missed your reply.

 

> Generally speaking, how long does it take to get the decision?

 

Before this virus mess, I had many claims settled in 10 - 15 days. Now, so I don't get anyone's hopes up, I say to expect 2 - 3 months if all the paperwork is included with the claim form. Delays will happen if an insurance company has to request followup medical records.

 

Steve Dasseos

Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve, thanks greatly for your assistance in helping me with some vexing issues with insurance that I had  even obtained elsewhere. Needless to say, you get all our future business for travel insurance.  Tripinsurancestore.com

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 9:36 PM, Eager2Travel said:

Great news for us. I finally got around to giving Steve Dasseos a call regarding our insurance.  He took care of everything for us.  We had two policies for an April 29 cruise on Regent that was cancelled.  We heard back within a day or two.  Both policies are being completely refunded.  We are very pleased with these companies.  They have been excellent in the past when illness struck and we needed to cancel or change plans.

 

It is so nice when things work out in challenging times.  Now we just need the much greater sum returned by Regent.


I have a question about how the refunding works. As part of one 5 week trip In April, we had two cruises scheduled, with Regent, and Crystal. Both cruises were cancelled but like everyone else, we are awaiting the refunds.  We’ve already gotten a refund from Delta for our return airfare from Europe, and all our hotel reservations were cancelled.   

 

I’ve been emailing with the company that we purchased our insurance from (subsidiary of IMG) and they have said we can extend our travel dates through 2021 for a future trip or receive a refund Of our premium. From their last email, they’ve said: 

 

“To process this, we also need confirmation that no claim will be made against this policy and evidence from your travel company that you have received a full refund.”

 

So, I can’t proceed with this until I’ve received the refunds from the cruise lines?  or is there paperwork I can get from the cruise lines that will satisfy this requirement of the insurance company?  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, sierrafloridacruiser said:

So, I can’t proceed with this until I’ve received the refunds from the cruise lines?  or is there paperwork I can get from the cruise lines that will satisfy this requirement of the insurance company?

We lodged a refund for a cancelled cruise and the return of insurance premium through the travel agent at the same time on 3/30.  No money yet.  I expect this will take some time to sort out.

Mad

Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a letter from Regent through our travel agent showing that Regent would refund our money in full.  The TA said that should suffice.  The wonderful agency we purchased the insurance from submitted the claim for us.  We have received no funds from Regent as yet. 

 

We needed two separate  policies.  We received a check in the mail for one returned in full.  The other is to be refunded to our credit card.  It did not require having the Regent funds in our hands ( which hopefully will occur as easily.).   Steve iDasseos is always a wonderful help.

Edited by Eager2Travel
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Eager2Travel said:

We had a letter from Regent through our travel agent showing that Regent would refund our money in full.  The TA said that should suffice.  The wonderful agency we purchased the insurance from submitted the claim for us.  We have received no funds from Regent as yet. 

 

We needed two separate  policies.  We received a check in the mail for one returned in full.  The other is to be refunded to our credit card.  It did not require having the Regent funds in our hands ( which hopefully will occur as easily.).   Steve iDasseos is always a wonderful help.

Thank you For this info. I will check with my travel agent about getting letters from Regent and Crystal 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just received an email from IMG that we will be refunded our policy for our cancelled 5/11/2020 cruise.   Very easy process with one email that included our policy details and a screen shot of Regent’s  cancellation notice and a screen shot of our request for a refund.  I also noted that no claims would be made against the policy.   The premium should be returned to our CC in 3 - 5 days.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 8:41 PM, bissel said:

Does anyone know if the insurance company refunds your premium if Regent cancels your cruise? I am unable to find anything about this.

I can tell you NCL does not.

I purchased thru them on final payment.

Then they cancelled the cruise.

 

But..... After I read the policy, I decided I did not like it so I sent a certified letter to the address on the policy to cancel with in my 10 day free look period.

Certified letter came back as un deliverable!!!

So I filed a complaint with the Florida Department of insurance.No response yet.

Steve

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I can tell you NCL does not.

I purchased thru them on final payment.

Then they cancelled the cruise.

 

But..... After I read the policy, I decided I did not like it so I sent a certified letter to the address on the policy to cancel with in my 10 day free look period.

Certified letter came back as un deliverable!!!

So I filed a complaint with the Florida Department of insurance.No response yet.

Steve

 

WOW!   This is why we always buy insurance independently.   The Trip Insurance Store is my go to.  Steve Dessus is not only very knowledgeable but very accessible too.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 10:26 AM, forgap said:

WOW!   This is why we always buy insurance independently.   The Trip Insurance Store is my go to.  Steve Dessus is not only very knowledgeable but very accessible too.  

Looks like this is where we need to go next time.  Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition, take a screen shot when you do your order.   When I sought advice prior to getting the refund of our trip insurance for a canceled voyage, the insurance company would not let steve access our file as they said we bought it independently (NOT).   Steve said this happens often and this particular company had major computer issues earlier this year.  At any rate, Steve sent me the proper link so I could request the refund myself and it was completed and returned to my credit card in a couple of days.  
 

He really is the best in the business!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...