Jump to content

NCL Encore crew outbreak?


david_sobe
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, mugtech said:

Really?  How much would you pay to be quarantined in a 150 square ft cabin?

And the alternative?  Getting stuck in an airport?

It's better then crew quarters and frankly better than most people's homes.  Stop trying justify this mis-guided bashing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, boatseller said:

And the alternative?  Getting stuck in an airport?

It's better then crew quarters and frankly better than most people's homes.  Stop trying justify this mis-guided bashing.

 

Do you understand how limiting 150 sq. ft. is over a long period of time? Especially living in a period of fear and uncertainty?

 

You got to experience that same 150 sq. ft. for a few hours at a time, surrounded by luxuries and delights that positively affected you overall experience. Now try even imagining what it's like to experience it day in day out, barely able to move around (because, let's be honest, there isn't that much room in any stateroom that isn't a suite), not able to do anything.

 

Even the passengers who were in quarantine hated it. Now imagine living it for the foreseeable future.

 

Stop making it seem like it's peachy and fantastic and have some empathy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mynameisvlad said:

 

Do you understand how limiting 150 sq. ft. is over a long period of time? Especially living in a period of fear and uncertainty?

 

You got to experience that same 150 sq. ft. for a few hours at a time, surrounded by luxuries and delights that positively affected you overall experience. Now try even imagining what it's like to experience it day in day out, barely able to move around (because, let's be honest, there isn't that much room in any stateroom that isn't a suite), not able to do anything.

 

Even the passengers who were in quarantine hated it. Now imagine living it for the foreseeable future.

 

Stop making it seem like it's peachy and fantastic and have some empathy.

Yep, you're absolutely right.  Three of NCL's ships actually have planks they can march the crew off.  Nice wide open ocean.

 

Do you have a better idea?  Though not.  So far, all the evidence is the lines are doing the best they can for the crew which is pretty darn good.  Those balcony staterooms are better than where most people live.  I've seen enough of the world to know this.  Heck, even your average $>50k/yr collage dorm is an outhouse compared.  While you or I wouldn't choose this, there's lot of people who would.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, boatseller said:

Yep, you're absolutely right.  Three of NCL's ships actually have planks they can march the crew off.  Nice wide open ocean.

 

Do you have a better idea?  Though not.  So far, all the evidence is the lines are doing the best they can for the crew which is pretty darn good.  Those balcony staterooms are better than where most people live.  I've seen enough of the world to know this.  Heck, even your average $>50k/yr collage dorm is an outhouse compared.  While you or I wouldn't choose this, there's lot of people who would.

So since most of the crew are from third world countries they should be grateful to see how the other half lives?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mugtech said:

So since most of the crew are from third world countries they should be grateful to see how the other half lives?

You need to travel more.  There's plenty of slums in Europe, or even Baltimore and Chicago.

For comparison, the average Balcony is just shy of Ikea's model microapartment.  No hand-wringing over that.

The average Balcony is more space than the average Hong Kong resident has, hardly third-world.

Finally, there's a reason why cruise contracts are highly sought after.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, boatseller said:

Haha, believe what you want.  First, The Miami Herald, Fake News, not even worth using in my bird cage.  The blood test thing is either a miscommunication between crew and doctor or Taylor Dolven isn't smart enough to understand what happened (it's the latter).

Sorry, drills still have to happen.

Most of the crew cannot be just let off in the United States.  If they can't fly home, they have to stay onboard.  (Again, way beyond M. Dolven's comprehension ability.)

Their contract ends so they don't get paid...and?  Sheltering aboard a brand new cruise ship (she's beautiful, I've been) isn't exactly the Amistad.  If NCL could send them home, they would, but can't for, well, reasons.

C19 isn't Ebola.  The officers are probably at most risk.

So typical.  Call it fake news and attack the messenger.  When you can provide some facts maybe you can try again to have a discussion on this topic.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, boatseller said:

Do you have a better idea?  Though not.  So far, all the evidence is the lines are doing the best they can for the crew which is pretty darn good.  

 

How about starting with acknowledging that what the OP wrote is in fact true:

 

On 3/29/2020 at 8:47 PM, david_sobe said:

If true, this is so sad.  The crew needs help ASAP

 

And then talking about what can be done to help them, rather than denying there is a problem (with no facts to support the claim).  Hmm...that reminds of someone else, but I digress.

 

14 hours ago, boatseller said:

Those balcony staterooms are better than where most people live.  I've seen enough of the world to know this.  

 

You've seen a lot of the world, good for you.  When you were seeing the world and seeing the deplorable conditions these folks live in, did you happen to notice that their were families there?  Or better yet, did you ever take time to talk with your cabin steward, waitstaff or any of the crew and learn what was really important to them?  I'll save you the trouble of doing this research - it's their families, not the building they live in that is important to them.  I am sure that the overwhelming majority of crew on those ships would much rather be home with their families than stuck on their ship. 

Personally, I prefer to focus on what's important - solving the problem - rather than denying there is a problem.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

 

How about starting with acknowledging that what the OP wrote is in fact true:

 

 

And then talking about what can be done to help them, rather than denying there is a problem (with no facts to support the claim).  Hmm...that reminds of someone else, but I digress.

 

 

You've seen a lot of the world, good for you.  When you were seeing the world and seeing the deplorable conditions these folks live in, did you happen to notice that their were families there?  Or better yet, did you ever take time to talk with your cabin steward, waitstaff or any of the crew and learn what was really important to them?  I'll save you the trouble of doing this research - it's their families, not the building they live in that is important to them.  I am sure that the overwhelming majority of crew on those ships would much rather be home with their families than stuck on their ship. 

Personally, I prefer to focus on what's important - solving the problem - rather than denying there is a problem.

 

Since it seems you didn't read anything and are making rather comical presumptions....

 

Yeah, I do talk to the crew.  I hear about spouses, children, romantic interests.  People are people.

 

To be extra clear, I'm attacking the premise that "OMG, the crew need helps"...this is deserving of ridicule.  Screeching with no solutions.

 

The cruise lines' hands are tied here.  The crew can't leave the ship because they have no where to go.  Sure, it wold be wonderful if Carpet appeared and flew them all home.  Doesn't work like that so spare me the sanctimony.

 

And I find it offensive that people just assume the crew is being 'mistreated'.  There is 0 evidence of this, none, nada.  The only evidence we have is crew that can be sent home are and crew that can't are getting bumped into best available quarters.  They're also getting food and medical care, no cost.

 

This is the solution to the problem.  Do you have a better one?  Really, let's hear it.  Come on, you're apparently focusing on it.  I'm waiting......

 

I'll end it this way, bravo to the cruise lines for making the best of the situation everyone's been dealt.  It's tough and I thank them for their efforts, even if some are unappreciative.  If anyone really thinks the cruise lines are such horrible people, I trust their conscious will guide them to never cruise again, ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

So typical.  Call it fake news and attack the messenger.  When you can provide some facts maybe you can try again to have a discussion on this topic.

 

QFT

 

I have found both IRL and online, there is an inverse relationship between IQ and those using the term fake news.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

To be extra clear, I'm attacking the premise that "OMG, the crew need helps"...this is deserving of ridicule.  Screeching with no solutions.

 

Is this statement here attacking the premise:

 

20 hours ago, boatseller said:

Haha, believe what you want.  First, The Miami Herald, Fake News, not even worth using in my bird cage.  The blood test thing is either a miscommunication between crew and doctor or Taylor Dolven isn't smart enough to understand what happened (it's the latter).

 

That right there is attacking the messenger, not the premise.

 

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

And I find it offensive that people just assume the crew is being 'mistreated'.  There is 0 evidence of this, none, nada. 


Other than a reporter reporting it.  Yeah, let me guess, you don't trust any main stream media.  Unfortunately, you also have provided no evidence that they are not being mistreated.  So, do we take the word of a reporter or "boatseller" on CC?  That's an easy one for me.  Time to add boatseller to the ignore list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...