URGENT: MSC Cruises is extending the pause of its cruise operation through May 29.

Maikell

MSC Cruises is extending the pause of its cruise operation through May 29.

(for the canncelation- or compensation policy by MSC Cruises, please contact the office of MSC Cruises in your country.)

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, MSC Cruises is extending its operations pause from April 30 for another month.

In a statement MSC Cruises said: “As governments across the globe have since further strengthened ashore public health and safety measures to protect local populations and contain the further spread of the virus, today’s decision by MSC Cruises to further extend this extraordinary measure aims to mirror and further support the effectiveness of such efforts.”

“MSC Cruises is working tirelessly with all guests and their travel agents to address the impact of this necessary decision to their bookings on our ships up to May 29 and it is genuinely sorry for the inconvenience that this will cause them. By announcing this now, the company intends to provide travel agents and guests who are booked on affected sailings with as much time as possible to move their booking to a future cruise.”

Edited by Maikell

Trust me, they will keep extending it every month until the situation with the crisis due to corona virus is over. As far as I am concerned, all the major cruisers have stopped operating. The crews were left to go and ships are either parked somewhere in the middle of the ocean or just staying close to the shore of major ports of the world. Dont see a reason to panic. Just live with it. Cancel if you still can, get your money and relax at home. Its better to stay away from this kind of entertainment at the moment IMHO

• Like 1

The MSC UK website shows that they are offering a FCC for the value of the cruise you booked (no mention of any additional enhancement) for any cruise booked before 31 Dec 21. They are also offering a "massive" 200 euros per cabin OBC. This is unlikely to cover the cost of any fare increases they will apply so if you had a cruise booked for May 20 it will probably cost much more to do the same cruise next year. No mention of any refunds being available if it is not possible to book a cruise next year.

Poor show IMHO but not surprising once they have got your hands on your money they are not going to part with it easily.

1 hour ago, senwebtek said:

Has anyone who booked though a travel agent been able to cancel through the MSC web form?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, I was able to cancel on my own even though I used a TA. Still haven't seen any monies put back into my acct. 

5 hours ago, lovetoholiday said:

You can still book cruises for May in the Med on the UK website.  Really!!!     🤔!!!

How does that saying go, "A fool and his money are soon parted?". I know it doesn't make it right, but most of the major lines are still selling cruises that have been cancelled. From a business perspective, any incoming cash is excellent, especially if it goes out as FCC

Does anyone know that if you have two people in a reservation, do you have to go in and process the refund form for each individual? Or do you only have to cancel it under the lead name and then both passengers will be refunded?

12 hours ago, electro said:

Does anyone know If booked through a TA, do we need to go through the TA to cancel or can we still use the form?

I called TA today and it was cancelled with refund within 60 days.  5/9 Sailing. I think the form says you must go through TA if you booked with them.

This is a C&P from an announcement as found on the UK web site

We at MSC Cruises have decided to further extend the halting of all our new cruise departures fleet-wide through to 29 May, in light of the continued extraordinary circumstances the world is facing in connection with the Covid-19 virus global health emergency.

Here is the full text of the announcement 

Update on extension of fleet-wide halting
of operations through to 29 May

We at MSC Cruises have decided to further extend the halting of all our new cruise departures fleet-wide through to 29 May, in light of the continued extraordinary circumstances the world is facing in connection with the Covid-19 virus global health emergency.

We have previously announced the temporary halting of all its ships globally through to 30 April. As governments across the globe have since further strengthened ashore public health and safety measures to protect local populations and contain the further spread of the virus, today’s decision by MSC Cruises to further extend this extraordinary measure aims to mirror and further support the effectiveness of such efforts.

We are working tirelessly with all guests and travel agents to address the impact of this necessary decision to all bookings on our ships up to 29 May and we are genuinely sorry for the inconvenience that this will cause you. By announcing this now, we intend to provide travel agents and guests who are booked on affected sailings with as much time as possible to move your booking to a future cruise.

To find out how to move your upcoming cruise, please check the “Flexible Cruise Programme” below.

6 hours ago, agnesd said:

I called TA today and it was cancelled with refund within 60 days.  5/9 Sailing. I think the form says you must go through TA if you booked with them.

Think and what form says two different things.  Form nor FAQ say that.

21 hours ago, Cruisergal1208 said:

Why not through May 30th!!!!  I have booked for 5/23 & 30 on Seaside.  Makes no sense to stop at the 29th.!!!  Oh well, I really expect them to do so within the next few weeks.

Because they expect to resume cruising as of May 30.

US cruiser here.

I second the question about needing to submit for each passenger or just the lead.  If anyone knows for certain, please let us know.

I booked on board but was sailing under an Expedia booked cruise so I was told my booking went to Expedia.  My information has been all messed up.  I tried to correct with Expedia before COVID but because the info on MSC was correct I finally just left the FUBARed Expedia info after trying for about a week to get Expedia to correct things.  On 3/17 I tried contacting Expedia to cancel, couldnt get through.  Couldnt even get on hold, it would just hang up.  No chat feature could get me to a live person and because my information on Expedia was all messed up (name was incorrect, numbers never went to reservation) I couldnt utilize that feature.  I called MSC on 3/17 and cancelled.  Was a little surprised they did it since Expedia "owned" the reservation.  Cruise showed as cancelled on MSC, room was returned to inventory.  No refund yet but per MSC I wasnt expecting before 4/6.

I got the email from Expedia today that my cruise was cancelled.  Link in email to take care of it leads to MSC's site which refers me back to travel agent if that was how I booked.  Uncertain if I need to cancel again and how.  I figure canceling a second time wont hurt me but it could slow the system and hurt others.  However given MSC's back and forth on policies Id like to make sure I am getting a refund at least within 60 days rather than a credit or a refund after 12/31/21 and apply now if needed (in case my first cancellation didnt "stick" for whatever reason).  Anyone with experience with MSC and/ or Expedia want to weigh in on if I should be applying now for the refund.  I dont want to make things worse for others but I also dont want to screw myself.

I cancelled my 3/22 sailing under my name.  I looked a few days later and was concerned I needed to cancel my wife's also and I tried.  A message came up that her's had been already canceled.  So I think that both get cancelled if booked together originally. It has been 16 days since I cancelled and I have not received my refund yet and I did receive a message that said it may take up to 60 days.

I am a little nervous until I actually get my money.

I am coming to the conclusion that I may never get to OC.  Missed it 3 times now.

• Like 1