What will post covid 19 cruising look like....?

Qcruise

Well,  we know the cruise industry has had to be "ahead of the curve" as far as careful monitoring of health and infection control in order to maintain a business.  Noro virus while not deadly will shut down a cruise ship quickly,  and they have been using processes and procedures over the years to control best they can.  So, going forward just how will they fill ships.....?  Can you see a test for all passengers at time of embarkation...?   Until they produce a test that is cheap enough and quick enough how will the industry go forward...?   Any ideas....?  Because we don't plan on putting on our "land locked" clothes forever.....let me just say.

It will be interesting to see if they implement the doctors letter required for persons over 70 with underlying conditions.  I fall into that category; although my underlying condition is totally controlled by medications.  In fact, at my recent physical my doctor said there is not reason why I shouldn't  another twenty years!  That being said I would never put my physician in the position of signing this medical paper; even if he would do it in the first place.  At that point, rather than using my FCC to rebook a future cruise when things settle down I would ask for it  back and book al land tour or resort stay!

I think you will see major changes.  First is some method to determine if you are physically fit enough to cruise.  Expedition ships already do this (on most voyages).  Second I think you might see CCL consolidate some of their brands, Princess and HAL would be an obvious one. This will be driven by the need to streamline operations.  I am of the opinion that bookings will be significantly impacted for years to come.  Third this maybe a timely time for some ports to implement restrictions on cruise ships (size, frequency or even a total ban).  

• Like 2

If medical certificate is needed, when would one get that?? At time of booking or just days prior to boarding ?

Just too many if s, if that is how cruising will be.

Another landlocked tourist I am afraid!! Would never expect my Doc to agree to that .

33 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

It will be interesting to see if they implement the doctors letter required for persons over 70 with underlying conditions.  I fall into that category; although my underlying condition is totally controlled by medications.  In fact, at my recent physical my doctor said there is not reason why I shouldn't live   another twenty years!  That being said I would never put my physician in the position of signing this medical paper; even if he would do it in the first place.  At that point, rather than using my FCC to rebook a future cruise when things settle down I would ask for it  back and book al land tour or resort stay!

The sentence is corrected and should have  read:  there is no reason why I shouldn't live another twenty years.  Forgot the most important word!

I'm already planning my personal changes!  I will be taking gloves, wipes and probably masks on my next cruise, just in case....  I would like to think there will be a vaccine available, and if there is, I would certainly make sure I receive it before I venture forth.

• Like 3

The newer and BIGGER ships are kind of a destination unto themselves, with recreation, pools, entertainment, several restaurants, etc.  Many people do not even get off in the ports.  I can see those type ships being the first to cruise, with short "cruises to nowhere".  Stay close to land, just in case something happens, and enjoy the ship.  They might even begin with "all inclusive" sailings including drinks and 1 or 2 nights at specialty restaurants.

Our whole family was to cruise this coming Saturday.  We are kind of heart broken as it was our chance to treat the grandkids to a fun week.  But I think I may have done my last cruise for a long time.

37 minutes ago, teacherman said:

The newer and BIGGER ships are kind of a destination unto themselves, with recreation, pools, entertainment, several restaurants, etc.  Many people do not even get off in the ports.  I can see those type ships being the first to cruise, with short "cruises to nowhere".  Stay close to land, just in case something happens, and enjoy the ship.  They might even begin with "all inclusive" sailings including drinks and 1 or 2 nights at specialty restaurants.

You might be right but speaking for ourselves and I am guessing a relatively number of people that sail HAL, we don’t consider a ship a “destination unto itself”.  If we did, we would do all inclusive 😉.  We sail for itinerary and if there are no good itineraries then we won’t be going.

And staying close to land won’t do any good if any ports won’t let you in 😉 

Hopefully there are no sailings and no return from social/physical distance until it is totally safe.  JMO though

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One country is testing for CV antibodies.  If you have beat the disease, you will get a certificate saying you are safe. Cruise lines might require this. An earlier reply mentioned shorter and closer cruises, I think that will be accurate.  I could see Europeans staying in Europe and North Americans staying close to home too. I also agree that land trips will be much more popular.  Will Aussies and Kiwis keep taking the risk to see the rest of the world? 

Edited by JeffElizabeth
  • Like 1

I think there will be a long hangover from this virus and it will be around for a long time. I think ‘seniors’ will think twice about cruising, particularly long cruises and they make up a sizeable majority of HALs passenger demographic. 

There are 3 lines which have suffered considerable negative publicity out of this crisis -  HAL, Princess and Costa - all of which are Carnival brands. It may well be that if there is to be rationalisation/ brand mergers/ disposals - these are the brands which might be in the firing line.

• Like 3

Unless there is a disappearance of the virus, I think more vigorous screenings will be required. Temperature check prior to boarding. Possible covid 19 screening with the ABT 5 minute test to board. Then, what do you do at every port? Only ship excursions with masks provided for all. No on your own. I think if everyone over 70 with a pre existing condition is denied bookings, They might have to close up shop. Definitely shorter cruises. Who really knows. 

It has been different since 9/11 and I think it will be much different in the future.  We will probably undergo some kind of medical test before boarding and that will be standard operating procedure.

We're all just guessing, right?

So my guess is that there will be stiff competition and lots of advertising as to who has the most high-tech ventilation systems and the most state-of-the-art medical facilities onboard.  All else will remain largely the same.  

When this strain of coronavirus dies out, and it will, there will be other mutations.  And for decades we had the influenza virus every year, with its many variations, SARS, MERS, H1N1. Then there's the less troublesome Noro Virus, and a even few episodes of Ebola, Measles, and Marburg viruses every few years.   This is nothing new, viruses have been around for millennia.  If we are going to restructure the entire cruise industry after this virus dies out, limiting who can go based on age and pre-existing conditions, then we may as well stick a fork in it now, because it's done.   If we start limiting access to cruises based on age, there will be massive discrimination law suits which no cruise line will want to touch.  We cannot have a bank of doctors in the boarding terminal giving every person over 60 whatever years a physical before boarding.   No land based doctor will feel comfortable signing that you are OK to cruise, because so many things can happen on a cruise that may fall back on the doctor.  There's a liability issue certifying a person's present health now, for a cruise weeks or months in the future.   I'm sure that our Cruise Docs "fine print" will have some interesting new conditions added, but the rest of cruising will be as it was.   The whole issue is liability, and who is on the hook if everything goes to kaka while onboard.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

When this strain of coronavirus dies out, and it will, there will be other mutations. 

Have you been listening to Dr. Fauci?  He expects it to return in the Fall.  No prediction of it dying out yet.

40 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

And for decades we had the influenza virus every year, with its many variations, SARS, MERS, H1N1.

Sorry but SARS, MERS, H1N1 are all cornoaviruses.  Much different than the regular flu.

Where we succeeded with them was the isolation early on so that they didn’t turn into a pandemic as this had one.

This is NOT a FLU - neither were SARS, MERS or H1N1.  It’s much more deadly.

We don’t have a vaccine as we do for other viruses (like Measles which could be deadly for some) and no immunity.  So, all we can do is stay home and safe and wait.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

We're all just guessing, right?

So my guess is that there will be stiff competition and lots of advertising as to who has the most high-tech ventilation systems and the most state-of-the-art medical facilities onboard.  All else will remain largely the same.  

Not to mention the high-tech morgue and the great devices for detecting if you've opened your stateroom door a crack while under quarantine.

Seriously, people are going to be very concerned about the premature termination of the cruise and repatriation and little things like that. 

Edited by Wehwalt

16 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

Not to mention the high-tech morgue and the great devices for detecting if you've opened your stateroom door a crack while under quarantine.

Seriously, people are going to be very concerned about the premature termination of the cruise and repatriation and little things like that. 

I will be, and you will be, but most people who want a vacation don't follow this stuff as much as we do here on CC.  They wouldn't be as aware of missed ports and repatriation and such things.  If the cruise is priced right and the ship is pitched as a place where you will have a good time and be taken care of, I believe they can fill staterooms.  

In short, I don't think they can screen the customers (though there might be more self-protective fine print,) but they can put best image forward to sell cruises.  

Just guessing...

Best guesstimate: plenty more bad news for frequent cruisers.

It's all speculation at this point, of course.  But I'd predict:

•     A bunch of older ships get scrapped;
  •     Planned new builds get canceled;
  •     Itineraries become far fewer (a lot of places that weren't happy with cruise ships will bar them altogether);
  •     Cruise prices rise steeply, with a boatload of new fees and pressured upsells;
  •     Onboard medical staff and equipment gets heavily upgraded (and of course we pay the added cost for that, too);
  •     Yeah, the buffets as we know them are probably finished. Regardless of personnel costs, the cruise lines will have to provide staff to serve or else do away with buffets altogether;
  •     Cruise lines will be obligated to provide backup plans - regardless of the expense - for outbreaks. This will have to cover everything from prevention to onboard damage control to much better preparations for getting "sick" ships to a safe port with medical facilities, quarantine facilities and transport home for cruisers (you can bet that when the dust settles, no government is going to tolerate having to clean up Veendam or Grand Princess meltdowns ever again), 
  •     The days of middle-class folks sailing two to five times a year are toast.

False optimism is not the route to go right now.

Remember, just a couple weeks ago these boards were still full of people insisting this worldwide crisis was just "media hype" and nothing more than the flu.  Utterly, utterly wrong. Others were counseling "buy, buy, buy" when CCL shares dipped under $40, and even this week there are some diehards speculating that maybe their June cruises will still sail.

This thing is NOT just a blip, a temporary/mild setback or little more than an inconvenience. We all wish it were, but that's not reality. 
    Hotels are shutting down at a phenomenal rate, airlines are parking most of their fleets, unemployment is beyond "through the roof" & the carnage for small or mid-sized businesses is incalculable. And we're only at the START of what's coming.
     "Business as usual" just isn't a realistic goal anywhere in the forseeable future. And cruising is, I'm afraid, going to take a ferocious hit.     

• Like 9