Alaska Cruises Summer 2020

KidCruze

Alaska is very important to HAL's bottom line. Not having an Alaska season will put a huge dent in their financial position, and personally, I don't see how an Alaska season this year is possible....nor Bermuda for that matter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

How interesting!  I assume you took in New Orleans on your Mississippi River cruise but how far north did you go?  Memphis perhaps?  Most Americans probably haven't done that cruise so I am impressed you decided to see some of our country, only inland instead of the usual cruise ship ports.

The cruise was Jun 2017. It was a bucket list cruise for my late wife Darra who, at the time, was in early dementia. We had a wonderful, memorable experience. It was New Orleans to Memphis with an extra night pre and post cruise. Sadly, she passed a year later, July 2018. During the cruise Darra bought a jigsaw puzzle depicting the Mississippi Queen. On our return she put it together and I framed it as a memento. It now hangs on our family room wall.

Two  years before that we cruised Ft. Lauderdale/Panama/San Diego after a two week tour of Mexico.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lyndarra said:

The cruise was Jun 2017. It was a bucket list cruise for my late wife Darra who, at the time, was in early dementia. We had a wonderful, memorable experience. It was New Orleans to Memphis with an extra night pre and post cruise. Sadly, she passed a year later, July 2018. During the cruise Darra bought a jigsaw puzzle depicting the Mississippi Queen. On our return she put it together and I framed it as a memento. It now hangs on our family room wall.

Two  years before that we cruised Ft. Lauderdale/Panama/San Diego after a two week tour of Mexico.

Thank you for the update.  That sounds like a wonderful bucket list trip the two of you were able to take.  I love that you framed the puzzle she put together.  But, I'm so sorry for your loss of your wife.  I hope you continue to travel now as a solo cruiser.  There are so many beautiful and interesting places to see in this world.

We were on the last Hawaii cruise. For fear of the virus, the Captain stopped in Ensenada but did not let crew or passengers off the ship. I don’t know the backend of things, but we didn’t get off in a foreign port.

Similar situation on our last Alaska Cruise. Lots of wind and Captain couldn’t get to the dock. We stayed where we could see Vancouver, but couldn’t get off the ship on our one foreign port.

I would just like a response from HAL. I think not canceling these June cruises is dishonest because they know they will not happen. I understand they don't want to lose my deposit right now, but I will have a hard time trusting them with money for future cruises. I don't even want my deposit back, I just want to reschedule a future cruise, but if I don't have clear options on April 18 (when final payment is due), I'll probably just let them keep the $99/pp and I'll do something else. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KidCruze said:

I would just like a response from HAL. I think not canceling these June cruises is dishonest because they know they will not happen. I understand they don't want to lose my deposit right now, but I will have a hard time trusting them with money for future cruises. I don't even want my deposit back, I just want to reschedule a future cruise, but if I don't have clear options on April 18 (when final payment is due), I'll probably just let them keep the $99/pp and I'll do something else. 

By no means would I give them more money if I where you, you probably will never see it refunded. I agree 100% they need to officially cancel the Alaska cruise’s  until at least July. 

• Like 1

Yesterday, Delta waived the change fee & gave us a credit for our Euro flights.

That means, no more Summer travel plans... except only our cruise on 5/23.

I think HAL is waiting for peep to cancel themselves, so to limit their pay out.

Not gonn'a happen with me.

Edited by Talent312

On 4/4/2020 at 4:39 PM, DFD1 said:

Alaska is very important to HAL's bottom line. Not having an Alaska season will put a huge dent in their financial position, and personally, I don't see how an Alaska season this year is possible....nor Bermuda for that matter.

Alaska cruise season is very important to Alaska as well.  Not only to Diamonds International 🙂 but to the local tour guides, shop keepers, restaurant owners and staff. Alaska makes a mint from port fees, and will make more next year (they're up $50).   If cruise lines start the season in July,  they'll have 2 1/2 months of sailings.

The Koningsdam is on her way over to the West Coast and will be here by the weekend. I take that as a good sign from  HAL. 

1 hour ago, Talent312 said:

HAL apparently removed the Canada section of its travel advisory.

It now ignores the port closure.... Now, that is dishonest.

Maybe they wanted to cut down on calls about it.

Wow, that's shady. I'm new to HAL, this was going to be our first with them. Not sure I could be more disappointed in how they are handling this. 

Yes this was also going to be our first HAL cruise, we're due to sail from Vancouver on 3rd June. Clearly that cruise can't go ahead, we don't want a cruise credit because the timing of the cruise was relevant, we want a refund and if the ship isn't sailing, for whatever reason, we should be able to get our money back. The lack of/delayed communications regarding June cruises seems pretty cynical. Unfortunately we've fully paid for it, so we just have to wait for HAL to make their position public.

• Like 2

To add to the mixed signals from HAL this is on the FB page.  It was posted 12 hours ago.

Holland America Line also is working on final details for all ships until operations resume. A select complement of our crew from navigation, engine and hotel departments will remain on board to maintain safe operations of the vessels during this lay-up period. We are working on arrangements to get the remaining crew members home as soon as possible. Crew members who cannot get home due to closed borders or lack of flights, will stay on the ships until we are able to get them home.

I cancelled my Alaskan cruise with HAL before the deposit became nonrefundable. I had my TA do this March 20th. I have not received my refund yet and feeling frustrated. My TA said it could be 90 days. Is that possible? I'm lucky in that I "only," paid 950 so far (2 rooms) but I would like that 950 back. Should I just wait for TA or try to call myself?

Thanks All and Stay Safe.

2 minutes ago, Ellen495 said:

I cancelled my Alaskan cruise with HAL before the deposit became nonrefundable. I had my TA do this March 20th. I have not received my refund yet and feeling frustrated. My TA said it could be 90 days. Is that possible? I'm lucky in that I "only," paid 950 so far (2 rooms) but I would like that 950 back. Should I just wait for TA or try to call myself?

Thanks All and Stay Safe.

I guess it all depends on your TA,  but I have found that my TA gets quicker results than I do as an individual. 

My TA says he already called. I did email him again and said he should also think about cancelling the helicopter through HAL (which is probably obvious, right?). I know all TA's are busy - I have no idea if he's being pushy enough. It's the first time I ever used this TA

11 minutes ago, Ellen495 said:

My TA said it could be 90 days. Is that possible?

When I spoke with HAL, they told me it could be 6 months before I got money back, if I chose to cancel and have my deposit refunded. 

Edited by KidCruze

we are scheduled for the July 27 14 day on the Maasdam, sailing roundtrip out of Vancouver.  Our final payment is due on April 28.  Our only deposit is the $200 we paid on board our last cruise in 2018.  We are holding our breath to see what we are doing to do.  If HAL doesn't cancel the cruise, if the Vancouver cruise port is open, if the flights are still going,  still too much to process before we pay.

54 minutes ago, KidCruze said:

When I spoke with HAL, they told me it could be 6 months before I got money back, if I chose to cancel and have my deposit refunded. 

You'll be lucky to get it back by then.....if ever.

1 hour ago, Ellen495 said:

WOW! And my TA just emailed basically saying they're closed unless we want to book new trips!

As in HAL is not speaking with people wanting to change their currently booked plans?

No I don’t think that’s it. It’s that travel agencies are unessential businesses. So therefore he’s only working two hours a day. He did already canceled the trip. I think though it may be done to deal with the credit card company.

2 hours ago, kenphy said:

we are scheduled for the July 27 14 day on the Maasdam, sailing roundtrip out of Vancouver.  Our final payment is due on April 28.  Our only deposit is the $200 we paid on board our last cruise in 2018.  We are holding our breath to see what we are doing to do.  If HAL doesn't cancel the cruise, if the Vancouver cruise port is open, if the flights are still going,  still too much to process before we pay.

You have about 25 days after final payment to only lose your deposit if you cancel

From the cruise contract for Alaska sailing

Caribbean; Panama Canal; Mexico; Canada & New England; Pacific Coastal; Pacific Northwest; Alaska and Alaska Land+Sea Journeys; Europe (except Prinsendam Europe, 30+ day Transatlantic and segments of 30+ day Transatlantic) and 27-day or less Hawaii sailings

90–64 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

So at 90 days final payment is due but at 65 days you can still cancel and just lose the deposit. But you would probably have to wait 3-4 ,months for a cash refund unless you take a FCC.

We might know more by May 15 than we know today so if you are willing to risk the $200 you might be able to wait on HAL to cancel.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/legal-privacy/cruise-contract.html

A-

Edited by AlanF65