Credit card refund insurance?

julian30

Probably a badly worded title but my question is as follows:

I paid the deposit and final settlement (in other words, everything) by the same credit card and if I now request a refund back to the card (after 13th April) now that my cruise has been cancelled what happens if NCL goes bankrupt in the 90 day waiting for the refund period? 

Will I get refunded by the credit card company under their protection policy? 

1 hour ago, julian30 said:

I paid the deposit and final settlement (in other words, everything) by the same credit card and if I now request a refund back to the card (after 13th April) now that my cruise has been cancelled what happens if NCL goes bankrupt in the 90 day waiting for the refund period? 

It would probably be best to contact your specific credit card company for accurate information on what their policies are.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, julian30 said:

Assuming you're in the U.S., the answer is yes.  I don't know the credit card laws in other countries, but in the U.S. you won't have a problem.  And I speak from experience; I had a fully-paid-for cruise booked with Renaissance when they folded shortly after 9/11.  My money was promptly returned to me by AmEx shortly after I notified them of the situation.

3 minutes ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

Assuming you're in the U.S., the answer is yes.  I don't know the credit card laws in other countries, but in the U.S. you won't have a problem.  And I speak from experience; I had a fully-paid-for cruise booked with Renaissance when they folded shortly after 9/11.  My money was promptly returned to me by AmEx shortly after I notified them of the situation.

Actually in the UK but pretty certain that the rules / policies are pretty similar. Hopefully I won't need to find out! 

3 hours ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

There may be different rules for different cards - I don't know if the banks will cover losses anymore  if a trip is cancelled and no refunds are issued because of bankruptcy.  AmEx used to automatically cover travel, as did many others.  Costco (CitiBank) did until last year and they were one of the last to drop it I think.  Losses should be covered however under travel insurance, either with a policy you bought or if it is included by using one of the dedicated travel cards.

9 hours ago, julian30 said:

Probably not, what you will likely end up with is a devalued FCC, based on a % of what you paid.