When cruising returns, how can the cabins be sanitized properly in such a short period of time?

clo

4 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Where exactly do you find CEO's with cruise line experience combined with pandemic experience and what would they do to have a different end result from what they do right now?

Why does the CEO need experience in the cruise industry. Often the best CEOs in times of a crisis have other experiences that will help the company get through the problems and not rely on the same old way.   They often have turned around other companies in times of crises. Smart people think outside of the box and ask questions. Demand answers which are uncomfortable for entrenched subordinates. New ways of looking at problems are usually needed when companies are facing this type of obstacle. If the BODs are not asking these questions, they should step aside. 

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

It says it can kill viruses in 5 minutes, but that is obviously very close to the light source.  I went to the description page for the unit, and in the upper right it says it takes at least 20 minutes to disinfect an entire room.

So, you want to put thousands of these on each ship?  And, then, what about public spaces?  How far can each unit reach?  How large an area?  Just looked up the cost:  $100k per unit.  Gonna make cruising real pricey.

You kinda/sorta don't like change, do you?

3 minutes ago, clo said:

No, change is fine.  I am against things that either won't work, or won't be sufficiently cost effective to allow a company to stay in business.  Though I guess that if you drive the company out of business, you've solved the problem.  Let's say that it takes 30 minutes to set up, disinfect, and move this unit for one cabin.  For a ship with 2000 cabins, that is 1000 hours to disinfect them all.  Even if they go to what you have suggested to having a "null" day between cabins, so at best 48 hours (though the cabin needs to be manually cleaned first, as stated by the manufacturer), that would require 20 units, or $2 million outlay, plus replacement lamps, etc.  And that is just for the cabins, what about the public spaces?  Now, given that the ship is 48 hours without revenue, that means that each cruise is responsible for 24 hours of that time, so if your cruise fare would remain the same, but you would get 14% less time on the ship for a 7 day cruise.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I am against things that either won't work, or won't be sufficiently cost effective to allow a company to stay in business. 

But you don't seem to want to entertain the thought that people can get super innovative, motivated, invent new things. Not the same old, same old.

The time to sanitize is only one issue,  we try to do it manually now.  It takes alot of time and is not effective.

Innovating a quicker more effective way might be.  And the issue needs to be addressed for more than the cruise industry.

It takes both thinking what might be possible and pointing out what doesn't work.

Hey, years ago I was told it would be impossible to have data and voice in a small box :).  I'm sure we've all been told something was impossible and later someone did it.

• Like 1

What about more use of the type of UV lights often seen in ship galley's?   I don't believe this "old technology" is very expensive, and it must be somewhat effective.   How it could be adapted to wider use, I can't answer, as UV lights come with their own inherent health risks...

On 4/6/2020 at 3:56 PM, clo said:

Change just for change sake to make people feel better is ridiculous. There needs to be a balance of efficacy, efficiency, and cost—as well as need. Things you are suggesting show you are thinking (good) but it is good to keep an open mind and accept when there are flaws associated.

We can give our thoughts to the experts but they are still the experts.

As for not reading entire articles: I am a retired research scientist, having worked in a virus lab and when the abstract contains errors, I don’t need to read the rest of the article to know it is unworthy.

I would suggest the cruise lines put a small sanitizer spray and two “shop rags” in each cabin for passenger use when first entering. Really all that would be needed.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 11:55 AM, ColeThornton said:

Where exactly do you find CEO's with cruise line experience combined with pandemic experience and what would they do to have a different end result from what they do right now?

Thanks.

Actually very easy to find.

Every current cruise line CEO. 😄

They are gaining the pandemic experience now. 

I spend a lot of time traveling, different hotel room every week 50 weeks a year.

Like others have discussed the people who clean the rooms do the following

1) Change out the sheets, pillow cases.  Mostly the blankets and such don't get change

2) Sofa/tables/bathroom:  sweep/wipe and clean anything obviously dirty

3) Replace cups, towels and top off things soap etc.

They per room as another noted probably 10-30' / room.  

NOBODY is wiping everything down or disenfecting.   If 2019-nCoV   does indeed reside on hard surfaces in active form days nothing they are doing will clean a room/cabin where the prior customer had active or asymptomatic.

The world has done lots of wiping and spraying but depending on what they spray and how long they let it sit is yet to be determined.

Generally things that clean and disinfect well likely aren't to healthy to humans, LOL

This publicity photo for Delta tries to make you feel safe, but how safe are you?  Spray something nasty that kills virus in less then a few minutes before passengers show up, you really think it will kill the virus with 100% effectiveness. 

DAL_DISINFECT20-661.jpg

Edited by chipmaster

6 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

This publicity photo for Delta tries to make you feel safe, but how safe are you?  Spray something nasty that kills virus in less then a few minutes before passengers show up, you really think it will kill the virus with 100% effectiveness. 

While nothing is 100% effective, most commercial sanitizing agents, like the Virkon that cruise ships use when dealing with noro, have effective contact times of a couple minutes for a 90-95% reduction in bacteria/virus.  Fogging is a particularly effective means of application, especially when dealing with soft surfaces like the carpeting in an airplane.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

While nothing is 100% effective, most commercial sanitizing agents, like the Virkon that cruise ships use when dealing with noro, have effective contact times of a couple minutes for a 90-95% reduction in bacteria/virus.  Fogging is a particularly effective means of application, especially when dealing with soft surfaces like the carpeting in an airplane.

👍  It is currently used in the prison system with success 

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The odds are that the cruise industry will return to health following development of effective immunization via vaccine rather than after development of effective sanitizing.

Although I'm OP on this one, I agree with you. Operative word being "effective."