Azamara refund problems (merged)

larhode

On 4/24/2020 at 11:45 AM, Thameside said:

Do you have the information that you are looking for now, if not I received a  FCC last week for 50% of the fare for our cruise which they suspended in South America, with the other 50% refund still outstanding. I can give you the terms and conditions on this email if that's any use to you or maybe it's a specific 125% one you require.

Why not share your information by responding in the Azamara Refunds Information thread/topic? 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2020 at 2:09 PM, blag said:

OK. But my supplementary question still applies. Is Section 75 applicable to all countries?

If not, then perhaps the question should be 'Who issued majority of refund, if any?' Options for response would be 'TA, Azamara, Credit Card' .

I don't think it helps to complicate matters by asking what proportions were from each. Or do you think I ought? 

Following up on our discussion, for technical reasons, my original collation of refund experiences was aborted, but there is now a topic which includes a posting to which you can respond so as to share your refund progress. If you still feel that Google Docs etc. are inappropriate, I will also provide links to Dropbox files.

Please share your information, and please encourage others to do so. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Just a reminder that the guidelines ask people not to discuss board management. Thanks folks.

Not sure what this means.  Is it OK to fill out the revised form.? Was the original aborted because it contravened guidelines and if so how ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Not sure what this means.  Is it OK to fill out the revised form.? Was the original aborted because it contravened guidelines and if so how ?

The new topic is available for use. Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to disclose the reason why this has been presented in a new format.

It's OK to fill out the new form. Your CC ID will not be disclosed in the results.

The more who complete the form, the more accurate the analysis can be!

• Like 2

Just thought I would let people know that we had a deposit on Azamara Journey for next February-South Africa.  AS there is way too much uncertainty, and we are "vulnerable population", we canceled it.  I have received the refund to my credit card.  I canceled about 3 weeks ago.  It would have been our first Azamara cruise.  We have enjoyed many wonderful cruises, but do not know if we will ever cruise again.

Was it a full refund teacherman? On applying for our refund for our deposit, before the 151 days required to get the full deposit back, we were informed Az had changed the policy to having to cancel 999 days before to get the full refund. So we are waiting for whatever it is we can get back.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, QueenP said:

Was it a full refund teacherman? On applying for our refund for our deposit, before the 151 days required to get the full deposit back, we were informed Az had changed the policy to having to cancel 999 days before to get the full refund. So we are waiting for whatever it is we can get back.

Canceled two August cruises yesterday and my TA said I'd get full deposit back plus the ten free nights that had been applied to one of the cruises.

47 minutes ago, teacherman said:

Just thought I would let people know that we had a deposit on Azamara Journey for next February-South Africa.  AS there is way too much uncertainty, and we are "vulnerable population", we canceled it.  I have received the refund to my credit card.  I canceled about 3 weeks ago.  It would have been our first Azamara cruise.  We have enjoyed many wonderful cruises, but do not know if we will ever cruise again.

Lucky you!

Once again it seems that those who are cancelling their own cruises are being refunded

before those whose cruises were among the first cancelled by Azamara.

58 minutes ago, teacherman said:

Hi Teacherman.  Did you get charged a cancellation fee?  We have also cancelled an October cruise, and are waiting for our refund.  We cancelled a little over 2 weeks ago, and were told that the refund should take around 30 days.

Yes, Sandy, we did get charged a cancellation fee.  And a strange thing is that this is the second time we were charged one for the same itinerary.  I originally booked it last November, but then decided not to go so we cancelled.  I did not realize when I booked that there would be a cancellation charge, so we forfeited the money.  Then in early February, I found a really much better price so I booked it again.  I now have paid the fees twice and have never even been on Azamara.  We also got back a credit for 4 rooms I had booked on RCCL for a family cruise this month.  So I  now have a large credit on my CC.  Safe travels.

51 minutes ago, teacherman said:

Yes, Sandy, we did get charged a cancellation fee.  And a strange thing is that this is the second time we were charged one for the same itinerary.  I originally booked it last November, but then decided not to go so we cancelled.  I did not realize when I booked that there would be a cancellation charge, so we forfeited the money.  Then in early February, I found a really much better price so I booked it again.  I now have paid the fees twice and have never even been on Azamara.  We also got back a credit for 4 rooms I had booked on RCCL for a family cruise this month.  So I  now have a large credit on my CC.  Safe travels.

I expect that we will be charged the cancellation fee also.  We have sailed with Azamara previously, and also enjoyed many cruises on Celebrity and RCCL, but the cancellation fee will be a first for us, and will turn us off to scheduling future cruises with Azamara.  (Because we are in a high-risk group for covid-19, we feel that we have no choice about cancelling this cruise.)

7 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Lucky you!

Once again it seems that those who are cancelling their own cruises are being refunded

before those whose cruises were among the first cancelled by Azamara.

It seems that Azamara's policy on refunds may well be to give priority to refunds that have the least impact on Azamara's funds. teacherman received a deposit less a cancellation charge. The only other full refund that I am aware of is a FCC, although I have heard that one TA received a refund (for herself) in less than 10 days!

There seem to be iniquitous anomalies in the way that Azamara are handling refunds.

I once read that most companies that collapse do so not through lack of business, but through lack of cash flow.

32 minutes ago, blag said:

It seems that Azamara's policy on refunds may well be to give priority to refunds that have the least impact on Azamara's funds. teacherman received a deposit less a cancellation charge. The only other full refund that I am aware of is a FCC, although I have heard that one TA received a refund (for herself) in less than 10 days!

There seem to be iniquitous anomalies in the way that Azamara are handling refunds.

I once read that most companies that collapse do so not through lack of business, but through lack of cash flow.

I asked the question earlier when I started a thread on 20 April "Bonnie . . . is there a reason" after reading posts by people who had cancelled their own May cruises within the 90 to 61 day window.

Those refunds had been received within a (relatively) short time frame. Posts #89 and #92 / #94 in the combined thread "Cruise Credit & Calculation and use of FCC."

A day or so ago on one of our cancelled cruises, a few people posted they had received some refund, but none were yet fully refunded.

w a i t i n g . . . . . . .

Have today received refund for our 5th April cruise on Pursuit which was cancelled by Azamara on 15th March. Requested refund same day through travel agent. Have had full amount refunded, less £10, don’t know why but not going to argue. I did book the cruise on board Pursuit last November when I also paid the deposit for my Brother and his wife. I haven’t had that refunded but as they paid the final balance it could be that Azamara will refund them.  Paid back through Celebrity as was the money taken.

Stay safe.

Julie and Les.

18 minutes ago, Jules of The Seas said:

Have today received refund for our 5th April cruise on Pursuit which was cancelled by Azamara on 15th March. Requested refund same day through travel agent. Have had full amount refunded, less £10, don’t know why but not going to argue. I did book the cruise on board Pursuit last November when I also paid the deposit for my Brother and his wife. I haven’t had that refunded but as they paid the final balance it could be that Azamara will refund them.  Paid back through Celebrity as was the money taken.

Stay safe.

Julie and Les.

By my reckoning that's 45 or 46 days from claim to refund. 

Cancelled our 8/29 cruise on 4/21 and received our entire $1100 deposit refunded to the credit card used Yesterday! Was told 60 to 90 days by out TA so was surprised when we received it in 8 days. It was from AZ and not the TA. We are in the US.

We also cancelled the 9/10 cruise and was told that cruise we would lose $150 and receive $950 refund. Did not receive that refund yet but would expect it soon since we cancelled both on 4/21.

10 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Cancelled our 8/29 cruise on 4/21 and received our entire $1100 deposit refunded to the credit card used Yesterday! Was told 60 to 90 days by out TA so was surprised when we received it in 8 days. It was from AZ and not the TA. We are in the US.

We also cancelled the 9/10 cruise and was told that cruise we would lose $150 and receive $950 refund. Did not receive that refund yet but would expect it soon since we cancelled both on 4/21.

Again, from this it seems that refunds of small sums are being given priority.

There are cruisers out there with tens of thousands of $ who have been waiting substantially longer! 

I cancelled a September cruise on March 28 that was paid in full. Was told at the time 10 days for a full refund less $75 each cancellation fee. Total refund expected was a little over 14k. Received my initial deposit back about a week ago. Received the balance of my full refund on the credit card yesterday. So about 30 days from cancellation to full refund. 

22 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

45 days is what thepointsguy's website showed as delay time for Azamara refunds.  Interestingly, he shows 90 days delay for Oceania.

I wonder if Oceania are any more forthcoming with communication than Azamara, it would be difficult to be less. 

Just now, sunlover33 said:

I wonder if Oceania are any more forthcoming with communication than Azamara, it would be difficult to be less. 

From what I have seen by viewing different cruise line forums they are all pretty much extremely poor.  Based on history communications is a four letter word at most cruise lines.

That said have found that azamara under larry was particularly horrible and unwilling to do anything about constant screwups and failure to spend money to fix known problems especially in the IT world where larry's answer to not being able to get on the email list after being thrown off multiple times was to contact Nicole/  Nothing about fixing the problem just contact the only person at azamara who would fix anything.

35 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

45 days is what thepointsguy's website showed as delay time for Azamara refunds.  Interestingly, he shows 90 days delay for Oceania.

The e-mail I got from my TA on April 22 says expect a wait of 90 days for my Azamara refund.

• Like 1