Jump to content

Azamara refund problems (merged)


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

That makes sense. So that just means that I am unfortunately out the hundreds of dollars spent on the trip insurance.

 

I know policies can be different but it could be worth hundreds of dollars to you to call the insurance company and explain that the cruise line cancelled.  Our insurance was totally refunded when we provided the cancellation notice from (from Viking, not Azamara). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, blag said:

 

I think that the $1100 is 4*$275 deposits. Not full payment. I think I recall mention of $275 deposits in that, or another post. 

The deposit was for $550 pp for total of $1100 which we received without the normal $75 pp cancellation fee being subtracted which was a nice surprise 8 days after cancelling. We also cancelled on the same day the connected cruise departing Sept. 10 but still waiting on that refund.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, azjoy said:

 

I know policies can be different but it could be worth hundreds of dollars to you to call the insurance company and explain that the cruise line cancelled.  Our insurance was totally refunded when we provided the cancellation notice from (from Viking, not Azamara). 

That sounds like a good idea. But you know what? I haven’t actually received a cancellation notice from Azamara! Have any of you? Only the general notice on the website that all cruises are cancelled until 6/11. Nothing from them about my specific cruise 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

That sounds like a good idea. But you know what? I haven’t actually received a cancellation notice from Azamara! Have any of you? Only the general notice on the website that all cruises are cancelled until 6/11. Nothing from them about my specific cruise 

 

I think you need to contact your Travel Agent and Azamara right now (or as soon as practical) and get your cancellation notice in writing. You should not have to be relying on what is on the website!

 

Ours were among the first individual cruises cancelled and we received emails of their cancellation.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

 

I think you need to contact your Travel Agent and Azamara right now (or as soon as practical) and get your cancellation notice in writing. You should not have to be relying on what is on the website!

 

Ours were among the first individual cruises cancelled and we received emails of their cancellation.

 

I’ll do that! I’m disappointed now that I haven’t gotten this official notice from Azamara or my TA! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jimmycruiser said:

The deposit was for $550 pp for total of $1100 which we received without the normal $75 pp cancellation fee being subtracted which was a nice surprise 8 days after cancelling. We also cancelled on the same day the connected cruise departing Sept. 10 but still waiting on that refund.


Interesting— we were charged the usual $75 pp fee, but I can’t complain about that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2020 at 1:55 AM, Grandma Cruising said:

Where do we find the results of the survey please?  I recall seeing a google docs survey result somewhere with more specific detail.  Unfortunately I did not pin it.  I am not sure if it was this one or another survey.


 

 

Edited by BerniceH
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Doh15 said:


Interesting— we were charged the usual $75 pp fee, but I can’t complain about that. 

Because the first leg of our B2B was 8/29 and second leg started 9/10. AZ are allowing an additional 30 days for final payment for cruises that start before 9/1 so I am assuming it also qualified for the no fee cancellation. Not expecting it for the 9/10 cancelled cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 2:03 PM, Mackdogmolly said:

Just curious about how people are dealing with their travel insurance companies. I see that Azamara was offering a refund of their insurance fee, but don’t think my travel insurance company provides for that, so I would be out hundreds of dollars. Can’t make a trip cancellation claim if you are getting a refund can you?

We buy trip medical coverage only from Allianz and they are allowing us to use the cost we paid for two cancelled policies with them on future travel up to 770 days from date of purchasing the policies. Not as good as a cash refund but hopefully will be converted next year or I may convert it to an annual policy.

 

I do not believe in buying trip cancellation insurance because it is highly profitable for the insurance companies. You should only buy insurance to cover unknowable or catastrophic events that could devastate your savings or retirement. The money I have saved over the last many years has more than paid for the occasional out of pocket expense. As I have said before, but many disagree, is that once you have paid for the cruise and you cancel after final payment you really did not lose any money, you only lost what it should have provided you which is an enjoyable cruise. IMHO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmycruiser said:

We buy trip medical coverage only from Allianz and they are allowing us to use the cost we paid for two cancelled policies with them on future travel up to 770 days from date of purchasing the policies. Not as good as a cash refund but hopefully will be converted next year or I may convert it to an annual policy.

 

I do not believe in buying trip cancellation insurance because it is highly profitable for the insurance companies. You should only buy insurance to cover unknowable or catastrophic events that could devastate your savings or retirement. The money I have saved over the last many years has more than paid for the occasional out of pocket expense. As I have said before, but many disagree, is that once you have paid for the cruise and you cancel after final payment you really did not lose any money, you only lost what it should have provided you which is an enjoyable cruise. IMHO.

 

We can self-insure the cost of most cruises but a medical emergency and evacuation far away from home is why we have an Annual policy. Luckily we haven't needed it.  We did have a close call in Nov 2018. We were scheduled on an expensive Amazon cruise with Regent. Three weeks before the cruise DH had to have triple bypass surgery. Unexpected and lucky he went to the Dr before we were on the cruise. Thankfully we did have cancellation coverage as that cruise was a long and expensive one. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Because the first leg of our B2B was 8/29 and second leg started 9/10. AZ are allowing an additional 30 days for final payment for cruises that start before 9/1 so I am assuming it also qualified for the no fee cancellation. Not expecting it for the 9/10 cancelled cruise.

I didn’t think there was such a thing as “no fee cancellation” — was that some kind of promotion/LCV perk?
 

Just curious, since $75 pp is not an unreasonable fee. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Doh15 said:

I didn’t think there was such a thing as “no fee cancellation” — was that some kind of promotion/LCV perk?
 

Just curious, since $75 pp is not an unreasonable fee. 

As I indicated in my post, I do not know why they did not charge the cancellation fee. I am only guessing that since they were allowing all cruises departing prior to 9/1/20 to be able to move the final payment date out 30 days, which we did before deciding to cancel it, so it must have qualified under their new temporary cancellation policy. Does not apply to cruises departing on or after 9/1/20.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 6:13 PM, azjoy said:

 

I know policies can be different but it could be worth hundreds of dollars to you to call the insurance company and explain that the cruise line cancelled.  Our insurance was totally refunded when we provided the cancellation notice from (from Viking, not Azamara). 

Called my travel insurer today (without official notice of cancellation) and explained the situation. They are issuing a voucher good for two years for a future trip. I’ll take it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aside, I received a refund for my cancelled May cruises within 48 hours - but that was the refund from British Airways, cash refund received to my credit card for my direct booking paid immediately I asked for it.

I received a refund on my Barcelona hotel within seven days of asking for it.

 

Just saying, others are doing very well in this matter even though their cash flow is not ideal

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Called my travel insurer today (without official notice of cancellation) and explained the situation. They are issuing a voucher good for two years for a future trip. I’ll take it. 

 

Glad it worked out for you!  We had no idea what to expect, we called to ask a different question and found out about the refund when the cruise line cancelled.  It was a pleasant surprise.   But, of course, it may not be possible for everyone.  That's why everyone needs to call the insurance company to find out.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, azjoy said:

 

Glad it worked out for you!  We had no idea what to expect, we called to ask a different question and found out about the refund when the cruise line cancelled.  It was a pleasant surprise.   But, of course, it may not be possible for everyone.  That's why everyone needs to call the insurance company to find out.  

Absolutely! And thanks for CC friends for advice!

Link to post
Share on other sites

A small glimmer of hope . . . the 25% FCC for the Azamara cancelled 17th March cruise arrived via email overnight. No sign of any cash still.

 

Split 33/66 as we had booked a BOGOHO promotion, so as I pointed our some time ago we are a bit stuck as far as using it unless we book another BOGOHO promotion.

 

I wonder why Azamara is unable (given the circumstances of the issuing of these FCC's) to make them as useable as a cash refund, which has no limitations and is not tied up in the knots of the FCC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you have made some progress Trish.  Yes it’s a joke making the Certs unusable especially when it is two people on the first booking, same two people on the second.  However if you think about it, it’s actually an attempt (shoddy) to extract more money out of folks who will find they have to pay more or give up part of the value of the certificate to use the new certificate.  Very poor form but we’ve seen through that one, we aren’t as daft as we look as granny would say.  
Currently they do have a buy one get one half price offer but it’s with the usual price inflation of the first booking price and has 2021 per day prices I won’t pay.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 2:44 PM, Kcbates said:

Azamara refund letter of May 1 was just received. The letter advised us to anticipate our refund in 45 days, rather than the earlier projected 30 days.has anyone else received this for the April 8 Singapore to Dubai cruise on Azamara Journey?

Yes kcbates, we also received this letter. It's the only correspondence received from Azamara since the notification of cancellation. Both BA flights and non-refundable hotel have given us cash refunds. So still hoping that Azamara will finally come good! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lynsibear said:

Yes kcbates, we also received this letter. It's the only correspondence received from Azamara since the notification of cancellation. Both BA flights and non-refundable hotel have given us cash refunds. So still hoping that Azamara will finally come good! 

 

This is a joke right?

 

I received 3 letters that give me 3 FCC's. This must have taken some time to prepare calculating 25% of my cruise. Yet no refund. This takes another 45 days apparently to calculate. So I now have a couple grand in credits to use against a booking where I must pay them a deposit of $550 each YET THEY STILL OWE ME $7,500. from a cruise I paid to them half a year ago which I never took. Where is the logic in this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2020 at 5:53 PM, suzyluvs2cruise said:

 

We can self-insure the cost of most cruises but a medical emergency and evacuation far away from home is why we have an Annual policy. Luckily we haven't needed it.  We did have a close call in Nov 2018. We were scheduled on an expensive Amazon cruise with Regent. Three weeks before the cruise DH had to have triple bypass surgery. Unexpected and lucky he went to the Dr before we were on the cruise. Thankfully we did have cancellation coverage as that cruise was a long and expensive one. 

Yes, I wouldn’t dare not have it. For a few hundred bucks, it’s peace of mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our refund came through fairly quickly.

We cancelled our October cruise on April 13th.  Credit for our deposit (less the cancellation fee) showed up on our credit card today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, sandyss said:

Our refund came through fairly quickly.

We cancelled our October cruise on April 13th.  Credit for our deposit (less the cancellation fee) showed up on our credit card today.

Again, evidence that deposits are being refunded less slowly than larger sums, and that refunds are not being dealt with in chronological order. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...