Jump to content

Azamara refund problems (merged)


Recommended Posts

Sorry to hear of your frustrating situation.  When you contacted your TA to request a refund, did they follow this up via email/letter confirming your instructions?

 

We are in a similar situation however I have had no dealings direct with Azamara, only the TA.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that’s dreadful. Have you informed your TA you want a refund?  Our  cruise on Journey for 11th April was also Cancelled on 14th March. I received this message from my TA 

I am sorry to hear your booking has been cancelled. Upon review of the Azamara terms and conditions, I can confirm a future cruise credit will be provided for the cruise element. I can confirm you will receive a future cruise credit 

I have informed Our TA  as per 2018 travel regulations I would like a full refund for cruise, hotel and flights. I’m now waiting for the TA team to get back to me. We have also had a refund for additional shore excursions, with no e mail but as yet no refund for the indulgence package. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes we informed our TA that we wanted a refund & received an automated reply. I wrote again stressing that we did not want a FCC & their reply stated that they were in the process of cancelling all elements of the package & they would be in touch with regards our options. It’s all rather unclear but I will try to phone them first thing tomorrow to get some clarification. I dare say I will have to hold on your some time but time is something we have these days! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar story, our March 24 Sydney to Singapore cruise was cancelled by Azamara approximately 10 days before the cruise and we immediately asked our T.A. to apply for refund NOT FCC. She was on to it  straight away and advised we would get the refund  within 30 days then that became 60 days.

Overnight we received the same e mail as RedBlu (and others) from Azamara saying they had notified our T.A. about our FCC!!!

Not sure what is going on but we are of course contacting our T.A. and  hope this will be resolved .We are prepared to wait a reasonable time given the circumstances but do not like the games Azamara appear to be playing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have received email notification of FCC (as requested) for our cancelled 28 March cruise. 🙂  Not the usual certificate, but a couple of boxed lines containing the details across the body of an email.

 

We do not have any idea why, but the amounts we each received were quite different, by $$$$, but added up to the correct figure less fees, charges & ports. No sign of those on our credit card. 🤔

 

And nothing at all on 17 March cruise, cancelled four days before 28 March was cancelled . . . mystifying! 😶

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked our e mails and overnight had the same one. Our TA is aware we are asking for a refund. I think Azamara are trying it on to see if anyone gives up. There will be a lot of calls to TA’s today I think. There is a paragraph further down on the e mail that says 

  • Azamara Cruises reserves the right to void the FCC Savings amount if the guest named above receives another form of compensation which includes claims through our travel protection or requesting a refund

so I suspect they are trying to temp us with a larger figure for re booking. Someone has had to work out the amount for every individual and then generate the individual e- mails. I would prefer they just got on with the refunds as requested instead of wasting all this time. 

Edited by sunlover33
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have not yet had this email, we are still having problems with out TA who keep quoting ABTA’s guidelines, it is all very frustrating, especially when we got an email from Azamara the day our cruise was cancelled, stating we would get a 100% refund and a 25% FCC. We were glad that Azamara had eventually made the decision we all knew was coming, and that we would get all our money back. So five weeks on from when our cruise was cancelled, we have no money back and no clear idea of when we will get it.

Our CC company had refunded our deposit back onto our card, but this has now been reversed as the TA have sent them a copy of a Refund Credit Note but only for the value of our deposit, still no clarity on the balance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

We have received email notification of FCC (as requested) for our cancelled 28 March cruise. 🙂  Not the usual certificate, but a couple of boxed lines containing the details across the body of an email.

 

We do not have any idea why, but the amounts we each received were quite different, by $$$$, but added up to the correct figure less fees, charges & ports. No sign of those on our credit card. 🤔

 

And nothing at all on 17 March cruise, cancelled four days before 28 March was cancelled . . . mystifying! 😶

We received the same email and we haven’t received the fees on our credit card either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

We have received email notification of FCC (as requested) for our cancelled 28 March cruise. 🙂  Not the usual certificate, but a couple of boxed lines containing the details across the body of an email.

 

We do not have any idea why, but the amounts we each received were quite different, by $$$$, but added up to the correct figure less fees, charges & ports. No sign of those on our credit card. 🤔

 

And nothing at all on 17 March cruise, cancelled four days before 28 March was cancelled . . . mystifying! 😶

Since you are one of the few sailings that has actually received FCC, would you be so kind as to answer a few questions please-

1. Did the email come directly from Azamara or did it come via travel agent?

2. Did it come with directions on how it can be used- new bookings only? Sail by date?

3. Is there a certifiCate number and expiration date for usage? 
 

I agree that this all is mystifying. We were on Quest Feb 20 sailing that did not go according to plan. Captain sent letters on Mar 8 detailing FCC and Azamara notified our travel agent on Mar 9 that FCC would be forthcoming. To date, we have heard nothing from Azamara regarding FCC. We all are just waiting patiently- The FCC is currently worthless to us as long as they have the over 70 permission slip requirement. I would like to know the expiration date for FCC in hopes the over 70 restriction will be lifted before the FCC expires. 


Also we were told in the letters that flight change fees and visa fees could be submitted to AzamaraCustomerService@azamara.com. We have heard nothing back from that either. It would be nice if we even got an automated response acknowledging they received the request and are working on it.  

 

We did get our port fees credited to our onboard account before disembarking, otherwise we would be waiting on those too. 
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With all that has happened to me I started a separate thread on this subject. I’m sorry about that but with my illness and subsequent death of my husband I couldn’t face checking through 5 pages here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, floridafolks said:

Since you are one of the few sailings that has actually received FCC, would you be so kind as to answer a few questions please-

1. Did the email come directly from Azamara or did it come via travel agent?

2. Did it come with directions on how it can be used- new bookings only? Sail by date?

3. Is there a certifiCate number and expiration date for usage? 
 

I agree that this all is mystifying. We were on Quest Feb 20 sailing that did not go according to plan. Captain sent letters on Mar 8 detailing FCC and Azamara notified our travel agent on Mar 9 that FCC would be forthcoming. To date, we have heard nothing from Azamara regarding FCC. We all are just waiting patiently- The FCC is currently worthless to us as long as they have the over 70 permission slip requirement. I would like to know the expiration date for FCC in hopes the over 70 restriction will be lifted before the FCC expires. 


Also we were told in the letters that flight change fees and visa fees could be submitted to AzamaraCustomerService@azamara.com. We have heard nothing back from that either. It would be nice if we even got an automated response acknowledging they received the request and are working on it.  

 

We did get our port fees credited to our onboard account before disembarking, otherwise we would be waiting on those too. 
 

 

 

We also received our FCC for our March 28th cruise :

 

Here are the answers to your questions:

 

1. Did the email come directly from Azamara or did it come via travel agent? I received it directly and my TA also received it.

2. Did it come with directions on how it can be used- new bookings only? Sail by date? Valid on bookings created on or after March 6, 2020 and existing bookings not yet paid to full.

3. Is there a certifiCate number and expiration date for usage? Yes there's a Certificate number and If the FCC is not redeemed and sailed on or before December 31, 2021, the certificate will automatically expire and have no value.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, floridafolks said:

Since you are one of the few sailings that has actually received FCC, would you be so kind as to answer a few questions please-

1. Did the email come directly from Azamara or did it come via travel agent?

** Directly from Azamara

2. Did it come with directions on how it can be used- new bookings only? Sail by date?

** Yes to both : see below

3. Is there a certifiCate number and expiration date for usage? 

** Yes, in the first few lines of the email.
 

I agree that this all is mystifying. We were on Quest Feb 20 sailing that did not go according to plan. Captain sent letters on Mar 8 detailing FCC and Azamara notified our travel agent on Mar 9 that FCC would be forthcoming. To date, we have heard nothing from Azamara regarding FCC. We all are just waiting patiently- The FCC is currently worthless to us as long as they have the over 70 permission slip requirement. I would like to know the expiration date for FCC in hopes the over 70 restriction will be lifted before the FCC expires. 


Also we were told in the letters that flight change fees and visa fees could be submitted to AzamaraCustomerService@azamara.com. We have heard nothing back from that either. It would be nice if we even got an automated response acknowledging they received the request and are working on it.  

 

We did get our port fees credited to our onboard account before disembarking, otherwise we would be waiting on those too. 
 

 

 

 

"This email is your Future Cruise Certificate so, please save it for reference when you're ready to rebook your new sailing.
To redeem your FCC, please contact your Travel Advisor or, please contact us using the below information:

United States and Canada: 1 855 292 6272
United Kingdom: 0344 493 4016
Australia: 1800 754 500
New Zealand: 0800 102 123

For all other countries, please visit https://www.Azamara.com/contact-us for your local Azamara call center phone number.

Here are some details and the terms & conditions of your FCCs:
Please know, your credit is based on the amount paid on your cancelled reservation.
Valid on bookings created on or after March 6, 2020 and existing bookings not yet paid to full.
Any booking made using this FCC must be used for a sailing that commences on or before December 31, 2021.
If the FCC is not redeemed and sailed on or before December 31, 2021, the certificate will automatically expire and have no value.
Future Cruise Credits are per person, per booking, and valid only for the person noted above.
FCCs are redeemable towards cruise fare and land packages only and are not valid on Complimentary cruises, Incentive bookings, and Charter sailings.
All guests are responsible for taxes and fees, where applicable.
Azamara Cruises reserves the right to void the FCC Savings amount if the guest named above receives another form of compensation which includes claims through our travel protection or requesting a refund.
If there is a remaining balance once you redeem your FCC, you'll receive the balance in a new FCC after you complete the sailing it is used to sail on.

FCCs are only valid for the cruises on Azamara Cruises ships, are not transferable, and may not be redeemed for cash.
Additional terms and conditions apply."

 

Re. FCC issued on board to be sent from shoreside Azamara . . . we have always had to chase them up after the suggested 30 day wait during which there has never been any contact from Azamara. In good times they have usually taken around 60 days from date of issue.

 

We are also in our 70's. There is some interesting discussion on this thread :

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been advised by our TA that the UK Government have agreed to a change of ABTA rules which state that an FCC can be issued instead of a refund.  If the FCC is not used after two years then it will be possible to apply for a refund.    

 

Our cancelled cruise is not with Azamara but it seems many travel agents are quoting this change in ABTA rules to avoid paying refunds on any holidays.

 

Since we are told we can claim a refund after two years, I guess we won’t have much luck trying to claim from our credit card provider either.

 

I just thought this might be useful info for the UK folk on here. It possibly explains why cruise companies have been stalling in issuing early refunds.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, beachmudhut said:

We have been advised by our TA that the UK Government have agreed to a change of ABTA rules which state that an FCC can be issued instead of a refund.  If the FCC is not used after two years then it will be possible to apply for a refund.    

 

Our cancelled cruise is not with Azamara but it seems many travel agents are quoting this change in ABTA rules to avoid paying refunds on any holidays.

 

Since we are told we can claim a refund after two years, I guess we won’t have much luck trying to claim from our credit card provider either.

 

I just thought this might be useful info for the UK folk on here. It possibly explains why cruise companies have been stalling in issuing early refunds.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I am not sure about this.  On the One Show on TV the Watchdog slot discussed this very issue and said there had not yet been a decision on the relaxation of the rules.  I am confused, if Azamara offer you the option of a voucher or cash, can a travel agent whom you have booked through over ride this and say no voucher/credit only.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure legally they can change the rules for the people who are currently owed refunds.They may be able to change in the future but I don’t think you can change mid contract and exchange of money for a service constitutes a contract. They also cannot override the 2018  package travel and linked travel arrangements. 
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/749498/package-travel-regulations-2018.pdf#page16

 

this is what ABTA are asking for but I can’t find anything to say the government has agreed to these changes. 
https://www.abta.com/news/abta-calls-urgent-support-industry-government

 

Edited by sunlover33
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, uktog said:

I am not sure about this.  On the One Show on TV the Watchdog slot discussed this very issue and said there had not yet been a decision on the relaxation of the rules.  I am confused, if Azamara offer you the option of a voucher or cash, can a travel agent whom you have booked through over ride this and say no voucher/credit only.

 

I guess this is a different scenario. If Az have offered a refund in writing then I can’t imagine a TA would override it.    In our case, the River Cruise company have not agreed to a refund.

Link to post
Share on other sites


https://www.abta.com/news/abta-calls-industry-wide-action-save-future-travel

Still no firm agreement on 7/4/20 

 

while I can see ABTAs concern with regard to saving the travel agency’s and jobs. Without refunds for holidays not taken, how many people would be willing to book another cruise if the regulations are not in place to cover any losses? But it looks like ABTA  are desperately trying to also close the section 75 refund too. 

Edited by sunlover33
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, beachmudhut said:

We have been advised by our TA that the UK Government have agreed to a change of ABTA rules which state that an FCC can be issued instead of a refund.  If the FCC is not used after two years then it will be possible to apply for a refund.    

I would ask to see this in writing . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2020 at 3:49 PM, ptrpanpens said:

Many booking sites, airlines and tour companies are also dragging their feet on refunds. I got my refund from AZ for a May 14 cruise that I canceled on March 9, but it took about a month and I got 50% FCC and 50% refund. 

 

Refunds will take even even longer once more cruises past May 11 are cancelled.

 

good luck. Azamara makes many mistakes normally and esp during this period, probably due to the volume they are processing. So hopefully yours will get sorted out. Glad I didn’t have to fight it out with them.

 

 

What notice did you receive re Cash Refund for May 14 cruise?  The official memo says cash refund only on cruises up to May 11/20.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone stop to think about the fact that between Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Azamara their accounting department is processing literally hundreds of thousands of refunds!  And since the offices are closed, all of the accounting people are working from  home to try to get these refunds out as quickly as possible.  Any refund that requires a waiver of any kind is going to take longer than the 7-10 business days we are all accustomed to during normal times.  My goodness, Norwegian is saying 90 days for refunds.  I respect the fact that people need to get their refunds, but complaining isn't going to make the process go any quicker, and will just cause unneeded stress in times like this..  

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JsMom2 said:

Did anyone stop to think about the fact that between Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Azamara their accounting department is processing literally hundreds of thousands of refunds!  And since the offices are closed, all of the accounting people are working from  home to try to get these refunds out as quickly as possible.  Any refund that requires a waiver of any kind is going to take longer than the 7-10 business days we are all accustomed to during normal times.  My goodness, Norwegian is saying 90 days for refunds.  I respect the fact that people need to get their refunds, but complaining isn't going to make the process go any quicker, and will just cause unneeded stress in times like this..  

 

That's not it.  It's about liquidity.  Accounting people are there and having no such problems receiving payments.  Every company is extending payables.  Azamara / RCCL is no different.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Accounting people are not “there”.  They are all working from home.  Processing a credit card payment is vastly different than overriding penalties manually.  The company took out a $2.2 billion loan.  It’s not about liquidity.  Everyone needs to just calm down, instead of making up all this ridiculous nonsense.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens, as in our case , if the future cruise credit is for a company  that you no longer wish to cruise with? (Azamara).
The FCC should be transferable for it to work fairly. Some of the cruise companies are dragging their feet in repaying money to passengers. When you  finally get in touch with either your TA or Cruise company you are subject to a plethora of excuses and false promises and moveable dates for repayment. Some cruise companies have acted quickly and reimbursed their passengers others have not think about this when you are booking your next cruise

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...