NSW Police has ordered Pacific Explorer to leave Sydney!!

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Not at all and not with the current isolation practices that have  been in place for a week and there’s not much evidence for community spread for those arriving before then. We are still sitting on that time bomb for Ruby. 

I don’t know who is responsible for Ruby. I’ll wait for the investigation.  

I'm referring to the change in government processes for getting clearance to disembark.

The government changed their procedure for ships some days after Ruby disembarked on 18 March. Given the fallout from that was being dealt with, it appears they viewed their process as insufficient and needed to be improved - as we are all talking about the fact there was a deficiency. Of course, this is not something the government or Police Minister have publicly announced.

On 4/2/2020 at 3:55 PM, Chiliburn said:

He would be just doing what he is told mr Walker.

He will be pensioned off and problems solved.

Senior officers above Inspector rank in NSW Police are on contracts.  Police officers who joined before 1988 can retire at age 55 on a lump sum or defined benefit - indexed pension.   Like this little black duck.  So if Mr Fuller has had enough after this fiasco he might just take his money at the end of his contract and go on a world cruise.😬

Edited by NSWP

Someone on here - no free cruise for guessing who, mentioned the name of the police operation to move the ships out of Sydney Harbour..and was rather obnoxious and nasty about the name of the operation 'Operation Nemesis.'   The reason it was called Operation Nemesis was merely because the 'flagship' of the NSW Police Marine Area Command (Water Police) is 'Nemesis.'  Nothing sinister.  She is an Ocean going vessel.  NSW Police has had several launches named Nemesis for 100 years or more....here it is...

Nemesis.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Les that looks much like the Royal Australian Navy Patrol boats as seen on "Sea Patrol" TV show (The Earlier Season). Nemesis is a great name for a police boat. Pretty good name for an operation too.

A likeness to the Navy patrol boats, a bit smaller though and no big guns unlike the US Coastguard or what your Canadian Coastguard or Maritime police have, I don't know the maritime enforcement set up in Canada, perhaps RCMP boats?   But all NSW Police, irrespective of branch and rank carry a personal side arm - Glock 17 automatic pistol.

Our Coast Guard doesn't have mounted guns. I do believe they have small arms though. A friend of mine was a Coast Guard Captain and I know he wasn't very impressed when they were quite insistent that he take small arms training. He said he was just there to drive the ship😉 The RCMP have some small patrol boats, RCMP members carry 40 cal. Stainless Steel Smith and Wesson. I have a few friends in the RCMP, including a recently retired inspector who I went to school with, his younger brother is a Staff Sargent and another friend I was in Sea Cadets with, who is the most senior NCO in the Force.

When it comes to ships with guns...that's for the RCN. 

And while we're on the subject of men and the sea have you ever tried Ron Zacapa Rum...Nectar of the Gods

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Our Coast Guard doesn't have mounted guns. I do believe they have small arms though. A friend of mine was a Coast Guard Captain and I know he wasn't very impressed when they were quite insistent that he take small arms training. He said he was just there to drive the ship😉 The RCMP have some small patrol boats, RCMP members carry 40 cal. Stainless Steel Smith and Wesson. I have a few friends in the RCMP, including a recently retired inspector who I went to school with, his younger brother is a Staff Sargent and another friend I was in Sea Cadets with, who is the most senior NCO in the Force.

When it comes to ships with guns...that's for the RCN. 

And while we're on the subject of men and the sea have you ever tried Ron Zacapa Rum...Nectar of the Gods

Thanks mate, I enjoy your input on here.  Not tried that rum.  I partake of plain old Aussie Bundaberg (Bundy) Dark Rum with Coke and ice of course.  But some top shelf rums these days you drink neat right?  You are making me thirsty and it is only 2.52pm.

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I can't help but think what Trump would have done if a foreign ship with no American passengers refused to leave. 

I think the Federal Government weakened WA Premier's position with regard to the foreign cruise ships, which started with conflicting messages to Amsterdam's passengers.  Americans don't understand a Federation of States, with States and C'wealth each having their own responsibilities.  

I personally think the matter of foreign cruise ships, arriving after the Australian cruise ship ban, giving mixed "truths", deserves further scrutiny.  

Was the Artania on a World Cruise and how far out at sea was it before it arrived in Australian waters. Also when that is figured out how did the virus get on the ship in the first place. Did our country allow it to happen or did another country allow it to happen. As the maritime lawyer said Australia had no legal authority to demand the ship to leave as we are obligated to provide care under international treaties. The WA government doing that could undermine our legal obligations. Also you have to think when doing this is how would you like Australians treated overseas by the same country you are dealing with here. If we want our citizens to be cared for and looked after by other countries then we should be prepared to look after other countries citizens in a time of need as well. It is not as if they are here to stay forever.

I am quite distressed about the lack of humanity being shown during this crisis brought on by a virus that originated in china.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Senior officers above Inspector rank in NSW Police are on contracts.  Police officers who joined before 1988 can retire at age 55 on a lump sum or defined benefit - indexed pension.   Like this little black duck.  So if Mr Fuller has had enough after this fiasco he might just take his money at the end of his contract and go on a world cruise.😬

Wasn’t there a song,take the money and run?

who sang that song?

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Steve Miller band uncle Les.

listen to the lyrics is that you’re theme song??????

2 hours ago, DiamondFour said:

Was the Artania on a World Cruise and how far out at sea was it before it arrived in Australian waters. Also when that is figured out how did the virus get on the ship in the first place. Did our country allow it to happen or did another country allow it to happen. As the maritime lawyer said Australia had no legal authority to demand the ship to leave as we are obligated to provide care under international treaties. The WA government doing that could undermine our legal obligations. Also you have to think when doing this is how would you like Australians treated overseas by the same country you are dealing with here. If we want our citizens to be cared for and looked after by other countries then we should be prepared to look after other countries citizens in a time of need as well. It is not as if they are here to stay forever.

I am quite distressed about the lack of humanity being shown during this crisis brought on by a virus that originated in china.

From what I understand, the Artania came into Australian waters, heading for Fremantle because she had COVID-19 on board and needed assistance. They already had the virus: clearly someone contracted it before the ship came to Australia.

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

From what I understand, the Artania came into Australian waters, heading for Fremantle because she had COVID-19 on board and needed assistance. They already had the virus: clearly someone contracted it before the ship came to Australia.

Unlikely. She'd been in Australian waters for at least a couple of weeks before the blow up in Fremantle. It's likely it was picked up while in Australia given the incubation period.

Our entire country is inhumane ordering ships to leave when the could just simply let the tie up, shut down and wait it out. What makes ships so different from aircraft parked here. There are countless cases of virus that came into this country from unknown aircraft and airlines yet cruise ships are being made the scapegoat. Shameful. Disgraceful.

36 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

Our entire country is inhumane ordering ships to leave when the could just simply let the tie up, shut down and wait it out. What makes ships so different from aircraft parked here. There are countless cases of virus that came into this country from unknown aircraft and airlines yet cruise ships are being made the scapegoat. Shameful. Disgraceful.

Cessation of multiple flights into Australia and compulsory isolation has stopped this now. Like it or not, cruiselines have brought a lot of illness, distress, and deaths into Australia. And Princess has been responsible for more than its share. It is understandable that people who have never wanted to set foot on a cruise ship, do not want one tied up at their port.  Its why States have closed off their borders to other Australians as well. If you cant see that, well, I cant help you.

Ill crew are being cared for. If they arent ill, are provisioned and fueled, and are not Australian companies, given all our intercountry border restrictions now, why should they stay? How many Emirates planes are lying around Australia? None. Same deal. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Steve Miller band uncle Les.

listen to the lyrics is that you’re theme song??????

Indeed, that tune convinced me to hand in ye olde truncheon and the whistle in 2003 after 36 years.  I don't miss it one bit.  You see things no man should ever see.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, DiamondFour said:

I agree that the government should not be ordering the ships to leave, however, a ship is totally different from a plane. The ships have hundreds of crew still on board whereas planes are parked on the tarmac, empty.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:55 AM, VK3DQ said:

This is just an example of cruise ship bashing !!!

Regards

John

No, I believe it is a case of cruise ships cruising under Flags of Convenience.  Would be interesting to see a list of cruise ships cruising in Aust waters and their "Country of Convenience".  I wonder what the medical facilities would be like in these countries.

Aust is already paying a high price for infected passengers off cruise ships.  

My thought is the Government is telling the cruise ships to leave and go to their home port is one way of saying there will be no cruising in Australia for the rest of this cruise season.  Winter is approaching and the ships can not stay floating around at sea during the winter storms.  All they are doing is wasting time and keeping unnecessary crew onboard, coming into port for more fuel and supplies. The ships leave Australia at the end of the season, so why not leave now. Go to your home port, send crew home, put your ship somewhere safe until this is over and then we can all start to cruise again!

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree that the government should not be ordering the ships to leave, however, a ship is totally different from a plane. The ships have hundreds of crew still on board whereas planes are parked on the tarmac, empty.

The reason that the ships have been allowed to remain this long is that they've been doing a 14 day quarantine period.  That period has now expired, and Ruby Princess & Artania appear to be the only ships where crew members have been infected with CV-19.

Ships were reluctant to leave until they knew that they were clear of CV-19, and the Govt ultimately accepted their responsibility for providing care under these circumstances.  The NSW Police Commissioner blew a lot of hot air, but ultimately nothing happened until the 14 day quarantine periods had expired.

Having served their 14 days, and remaining CV-19 free, the other ships are now leaving.  The Royal Caribbean ships have transferred their crews, and are now on their way to drop them off in their home countries.  Presumably the P&O and Princess ships will be doing likewise.

6 minutes ago, rickays said:

My thought is the Government is telling the cruise ships to leave and go to their home port is one way of saying there will be no cruising in Australia for the rest of this cruise season.  Winter is approaching and the ships can not stay floating around at sea during the winter storms.  All they are doing is wasting time and keeping unnecessary crew onboard, coming into port for more fuel and supplies. The ships leave Australia at the end of the season, so why not leave now. Go to your home port, send crew home, put your ship somewhere safe until this is over and then we can all start to cruise again!

They had to wait until the ships had done a 14-day quarantine period, and were definitely clear of CV-19.  That time has now been served, and the ships are on their way to drop crew members off in their home countries.

13 minutes ago, rickays said:

I agree with your comments, however we should remember that P&O Australia and Carnival have ships based here year round. I do not think these ships should have been sent away. 

7 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

They had to wait until the ships had done a 14-day quarantine period, and were definitely clear of CV-19.  That time has now been served, and the ships are on their way to drop crew members off in their home countries.

Wouldn't it have been sooooo much easier just to say that from the beginning? Everybody looks the hero. The NSWP looking after Australian interests and at the same time standing by to render assistance if needed during the Quarantine period. The cruise ship Captains watching out for their crew. What a bunch of drama. In the end NSWP seem to overstep and the cruise captains seem to be doing the right thing by the crew.

• Like 1