Serious Question: Cruisers will you continue?

maynovmom

I have three cruises booked and can’t wait to get back on board.  I’m sure the cleaning standards will be even better than they were pre coved-19.  Will I be more vigilant yes.  We will get over this.  Cheers and happy cruising.

• Like 1

we are one cruise (six days) away from turning platinum. as of now me and my family will not be cruising. why? most importantly my wife is considered high risk and the cruise lines have not come out and clearly explained how the ships will be handling the current health issues. the issues i refer to include handling passengers that are covid-19 positive AFTER boarding, ports that are currently denying ships, cruises that are extended due ports denying the ships safe return, etc...

we would love to cruise again but theres no way to predict when this pandemic would make it safe to cruise. until then we are stuck on land. its very upsetting but me and my family have to be smart and make decisions that will keep us safe and healthy.

Edited by cyclist_guy1
  • Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 5:38 AM, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

We had 10 fabulous cruises and would love to do an 11th .... except, ah, NO.

If Grand, Diamond, Ruby, Coral, Zaandam and others weren't enough to make people here wake up, then add this morning's news:

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241710696.html

I am sitting in the same boat...It isn't the Cruise companies that concern me as I think once this crisis abates, cruising will be available again.  My concern is how our Government hasn't taken care of her Citizens that are in need of coming home.  I understand this is an act of nature, but letting some Covid-19 people off the ships and then forcing others to remain at sea is a big issue for me.  I will most likely take a cruise again, BUT not for a long time.  I want things to settle down and I don't want to be stuck at sea for potentially months due to no policy or procedure for American Citizens and the Travel Insurance doesn't cover Pandemics.  There was NO amount of planning to get us prepared for a crisis of this magnitude.

On 4/3/2020 at 8:38 AM, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

If Grand, Diamond, Ruby, Coral, Zaandam and others weren't enough to make people here wake up, then add this morning's news:

Same problem, same timeframe.  If...er when it is fixed on land, there is no reason to assume on a cruise ship will be different.  

Based on Carnival's most recent notice of cruise cancellations, I took advantage of their offer and asked for a full refund.  I was booked on the Paradise for April 16th, solo cruiser in a Cat 1A cabin....two bunk beds and of course no windows.  The ultimate issue for me was not so much the overall coronavirus situation, but more importantly, the possibility of getting quarantined in a small inside cabin for 14 days.  While certainly not the end of the world, and yes I could certainly do it if I had to, but why take such a risk?  It was only a 4-night cruise to Cozumel out of Tampa, so it's not like I can't do it again some other time. Around this area of Florida where I live, it's pretty much "hey, I think I'll zip down to Cozumel for the weekend," and it's pretty easy to do.  As far as whether or not I'll cruise again in the future....well, I love cruising to the point I would still want to go again when all of this has passed.  So, I'll monitor the situation and make a decision at a later date.  But...I'm not ready to say I won't ever cruise again.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 7:07 PM, Joe817 said:

TNcruising02 is giving some awfully good advice. And TN, as I was reading your last paragraph, an electric bolt shot through my body(figuratively speaking), and I don't know why I thought of it but it immediately came to my mind my favorite poem from my early teenage days:

If by Rudyard Kipling

"

If you can keep your head when all about you   
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too; 

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;  

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,   
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,   
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,   
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,   
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!"

Without a doubt my favorite poem for decades, Joe . . . such good advice for just about EVERYTHING and especially during these times. Reminds me of my Dad explaining how the bombing of Pearl Harbor completely devastated the Pacific Fleet accepting the stroke of pure luck that our carriers were at sea at the time. How he moved us from Iowa to California where he and Mom built B-17 bombers for the war effort and how WE eventually turned the tide.

Having already cruised the PANORAMA, I've booked a cruise on her for August as well. I will gladly, with enthusiasm return to cruising. Any "black-eye" that the cruising industry sustains can only make us LIFETIMERS  more interested as cabin rates will reflect that. My only concern is whether or not the cruise lines can absorb these huge losses not being able to receive government loans. Mickey is a good friend of the President. I'm sure something will be worked out. 🙂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, glrounds said:

Without a doubt my favorite poem for decades, Joe . . . such good advice for just about EVERYTHING and especially during these times. Reminds me of my Dad explaining how the bombing of Pearl Harbor completely devastated the Pacific Fleet accepting the stroke of pure luck that our carriers were at sea at the time. How he moved us from Iowa to California where he and Mom built B-17 bombers for the war effort and how WE eventually turned the tide.

Having already cruised the PANORAMA, I've booked a cruise on her for August as well. I will gladly, with enthusiasm return to cruising. Any "black-eye" that the cruising industry sustains can only make us LIFETIMERS  more interested as cabin rates will reflect that. My only concern is whether or not the cruise lines can absorb these huge losses not being able to receive government loans. Mickey is a good friend of the President. I'm sure something will be worked out. 🙂

Totally agree G.L. !!  👍 On both counts!!

I am still 100% devoted to my love of cruising, BUT my germaphobe side has me super nervous to cruise shortly after this all ends, whenever that is. I’d want to see some cruises sail healthily and then I’d feel comfortable again. Once I set foot back onboard, my cruise smile will return, and I’ll have a blast! I just don’t know if it’ll be 2020 or 2021.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

Planes fall out of the sky crash and burn, and I still fly. Covid19 has had negative impact on cruise lines and I will still cruise. 

what planet are you from, flying is the safest form of travel, by far. 325,000 U.S. citizens infected, and over 9,000 deaths. Your comparison is awful. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, coevan said:

what planet are you from, flying is the safest form of travel, by far. 325,000 U.S. citizens infected, and over 9,000 deaths. Your comparison is awful. 

There are about 330 million people in the United States. The odds of dying from this virus in the US are still extremely low compared to many other diseases and accidents. Also, the number infected is much higher than the recorded number since the majority of people tested in the United States are people who have symptoms.  In areas where they test everyone, there are between 25% to 46% of people who have the virus without symptoms.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

There are about 330 million people in the United States. The odds of dying from this virus in the US are still extremely low compared to many other diseases and accidents. Also, the number infected is much higher than the recorded number since the majority of people tested in the United States are people who have symptoms.  In areas where they test everyone, there are between 25% to 46% of people who have the virus without symptoms.

I have no idea what this post is referring to. I was specifically commenting on the safety of air travel. 

1 hour ago, coevan said:

1 minute ago, coevan said:

I have no idea what this post is referring to. I was specifically commenting on the safety of air travel. 

Cruise lines serve millions upon millions of passengers annually. Carnival Corp., over 11 million/year alone. Out of all of those, how many cruise without catching any type of pathogen while onboard a ship? I don't know that number, but I'm sure it's a tiny fraction of the total number who cruise. I'd say cruises are quite safe. This is a whole different situation we're in. COVID-19 statistics have nothing to do with the overall safety of cruising. Or for air travel, for that matter.

On 4/3/2020 at 7:38 AM, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

All the eager beavers apparently didnt have a cruise leaving March 7,8 or 9th and had no choice but to go or loose all your money.BTW this was NCL policy, dont know how everyone else handled it. Then while on that cruise you find out a pandemic has been declared. If that isn’t bad enough you watch as ships are still out floating a month later with sick or dead people aboard.

the whole country says “why did they go on that cruise” no sympathy for them at all.tings can happen overnight. The Sunday (march 8th) we left the higher ups was saying not a good time to cruise, cruise line saying it is fine. My thinking is if you think they have your best interest in mine go ahead. I do not and they proved it by sending us out there and thank the good Lord we were able to debark in the hot spot of New Orleans. I think daily of the poor souls still floating.

30 minutes ago, coevan said:

Just that the odds of dying in a plane crash are slim and so are the odds of dying from this virus when you put it in perspective.