Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:


IMHO, they changed the language because it can be used for booking excursions before you embark. This was not the case a few years ago when SBC could only be used to book excursions once on the ship. This is a good thing.

 

The language in regard to booking excursions has not changed. The point is that the "credit" is no longer referred to as "shipboard" and the line about availability once aboard has vanished. Why doesn't Viking just state it's policy in regard to whatever this "credit" is being called lately? Is there a shenanigan germinating here?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had an email from Viking saying that a future cruise credit would be issued. I'd asked for this more than 2 weeks ago. I asked again yesterday why I hadn't heard but was told one would be issued in the next 2-3 weeks. Why the delay? Surely its just a click of a mouse. Should I be concerned? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is language in the Vouchers section at the bottom of My Profile (which is different from the alert I used to receive on login indicating credits may be used on board):

"Vouchers will be automatically applied to your purchases for this journey, including cruise fare, air, hotel extensions, excursions, beverage package, and prepaid gratuities, and must be used before your journey begins."  This is followed by my name and available voucher amount.

Our vouchers were under the original pre-March 12 rule (100% FCC). We had cancelled a March 10 cruise about 5 days before trip start, and then rebooked the same 2021 trip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

I've had an email from Viking saying that a future cruise credit would be issued. I'd asked for this more than 2 weeks ago. I asked again yesterday why I hadn't heard but was told one would be issued in the next 2-3 weeks. Why the delay? Surely its just a click of a mouse. Should I be concerned? 

We were part of the cancelations that occurred on March 11th.  We just received our future cruise vouchers, one per passenger, via email on April 20th.  The embarkation date of the cruise was early April.  The amount of the vouchers matches to the 125% of the monies we paid to Viking.   Also to note, the vouchers were issued as of April 17th 2020 and are valid until April 20th 2022 12:00 AM.  I'm not sure in what order Viking is issuing the FCVs.  Some posts I have read had embarkation dates later in April yet they received their vouchers sooner.  It is good that the vouchers are being dated as they are being issued, not by the sailing date of the canceled cruise.  Yes, it took over five weeks to get the FCV so I suggest be patient.  In working w/ our travel agency that I booked the Viking cruises through, the TA received their portion of monies from us.  In order to get a credit for those monies applied to another new booking, the TA required some 'official' notification from Viking in order to cancel it out of their system. The TA was referring how the cruise line & travel agencies typically handle a cruise cancelation. This wholesale refunding and providing FCVs to customers on such a grand scale is requiring different procedures and protocols, all subject to audit, to prevent theft and fraud.  Viking needs to follow those procedures, since I am sure that they will be audited at some point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Humbb said:

This is language in the Vouchers section at the bottom of My Profile (which is different from the alert I used to receive on login indicating credits may be used on board):

"Vouchers will be automatically applied to your purchases for this journey, including cruise fare, air, hotel extensions, excursions, beverage package, and prepaid gratuities, and must be used before your journey begins."  This is followed by my name and available voucher amount.

Our vouchers were under the original pre-March 12 rule (100% FCC). We had cancelled a March 10 cruise about 5 days before trip start, and then rebooked the same 2021 trip.

I have attached what My Profile says today:

2020-04-23 Vouchers & Credits.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, What was that? said:

I have attached what My Profile says today:

2020-04-23 Vouchers & Credits.jpg

 

Operative word is "today" ----- as stated, my "important reminder" called the credit "shipboard" one day and "unused voucher" the next with, presumably, two different definitions in the profile section.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those with a Viking voucher from a canceled cruise, I would like to share with you what I was told today by Viking Customer Relations agent Oscar Santander: he said, contrary to what we may have heard, unused voucher value will NOT become onboard credit ("shipboard credit" in Viking-speak) if any remains at the time our cruise boards - does not, will not, can not, ixnay, no way, no how. It will just disappear.

 

He suggests using up the voucher value prior to our cruise on excursions, gratuities, SSBP - basically anything you can order in advance (except, of course, insurance).

 

Let me also say that several other Viking agents told me explicitly that the unused voucher value would "automatically" become shipboard credit when we board.

 

Heaven knows what is really going to happen. We shall see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, What was that? said:

For those with a Viking voucher from a canceled cruise, I would like to share with you what I was told today by Viking Customer Relations agent Oscar Santander: he said, contrary to what we may have heard, unused voucher value will NOT become onboard credit ("shipboard credit" in Viking-speak) if any remains at the time our cruise boards - does not, will not, can not, ixnay, no way, no how. It will just disappear.

 

He suggests using up the voucher value prior to our cruise on excursions, gratuities, SSBP - basically anything you can order in advance (except, of course, insurance).

 

Let me also say that several other Viking agents told me explicitly that the unused voucher value would "automatically" become shipboard credit when we board.

 

Heaven knows what is really going to happen. We shall see.

 

If you want four different answers just talk to four different reps. If you want six different answers ----------------------

 

The inability of Viking to provide a clear, concise, succinct answer to what shoud be a simple issue is not a good way for them to develop confidence and/or loyalty in their customers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's an article in Barron's magazine (4/24/2020) about the cruise lines, and cash burn. At current rates of burn, the publicly traded majors have nine months (Carnival) or less (Royal Caribbean, NCL) of cash.

 

Carnival has been successful at converting about 45% of prepaid reservations to future cruise vouchers, but the cash outflow to refund the others is a huge burden.  That's probably similar to Viking's experience, but the 25% cost is an expensive way to hold onto cash

 

https://www.barrons.com/articles/cruise-lines-are-burning-through-cash-their-survival-depends-on-luring-back-customers-after-coronavirus-51587741331?mod=HP_DAY_RELATED_3

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 9:29 PM, Cienfuegos said:

There's an article in Barron's magazine (4/24/2020) about the cruise lines, and cash burn. At current rates of burn, the publicly traded majors have nine months (Carnival) or less (Royal Caribbean, NCL) of cash.

 

Carnival has been successful at converting about 45% of prepaid reservations to future cruise vouchers, but the cash outflow to refund the others is a huge burden.  That's probably similar to Viking's experience, but the 25% cost is an expensive way to hold onto cash

 

https://www.barrons.com/articles/cruise-lines-are-burning-through-cash-their-survival-depends-on-luring-back-customers-after-coronavirus-51587741331?mod=HP_DAY_RELATED_3

 

 

If the 25% must be used on grievously overpriced products before the ship even embarks that kind of softens the blow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 7:08 PM, duquephart said:

If you want four different answers just talk to four different reps. If you want six different answers ----------------------

 

The inability of Viking to provide a clear, concise, succinct answer to what should be a simple issue is not a good way for them to develop confidence and/or loyalty in their customers.

I am guessing that everyone at Viking is too busy to track social media: we are highlighting a simple way to improve their relations with customers, and nothing seems to be happening. If anything, it is getting worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, What was that? said:

I am guessing that everyone at Viking is too busy to track social media: we are highlighting a simple way to improve their relations with customers, and nothing seems to be happening. If anything, it is getting worse.

 

You might entertain the notion that Viking's regard for you wanes considerably once your money is in their pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...