Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I had multi-quoted many posts, but CC went sideways on me. It’s been acting up for more than a week, in private mode and regular mode. I can’t wait for these issues to fixed. 

Happy celebrations to all celebrating a special day;  birthdays, watching ball games, enjoying their cruise, wonderful lunches and Greg’s glowing retirement letter. I hope everyone enjoy their day, whatever they are up to. 

• Like 5

Gorgeous weather here today.  Low 80s no humidity and light breeze, perfect day😺

I have a pot of beef stew simmering for dinner while we are outside doing some yard work.  Getting things ready for fall since we leave for LBI on Tuesday and probably wont be back to until Halloween.

Sad day as I pulled out most of the garden.  Still have peppers and eggplant growing.  Will pick the last of them before we leave Tuesday.

My neighbor that will feed and care for Sparky and Eva will water my flowers and mums and told her to take whatever grows in garden while we are away.

Another sad part of the day was bringing out jeans and long pants to pack.  Hoping it will be short and flip flop weather for most of the time at the shore house but need to be prepared for cool evenings.

Eric has packed the car with our painting supplies, drop clothes, brushes, rollers, etc and will pick up the paint tomorrow that I ordered from Sherwin William's.  

Cannot wait to get there and see the ocean and put my feet in the sand.  😎

• Like 9

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

I always said about my job that I’d stay as long as the good outweighed the bad. 
Luckily for me the bad got really bad just as I became eligible for Social Security. 
I’ve never regretted leaving, and my life became so much richer when I did. 

I'm so pleased for you that things worked out well.

Graham.

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Little things like that are actually huge things. That is a great story.

Thank you Graham. I hope I can spend it like you. Having lunch with my lovely wife, drinking some champagne and living the dream.

Looks amazing. I bet it tasted amazing as well.

Sounds like you were an great boss. You get it. It's sometimes about the little things you do to create a sense of family and unity among the staff.

I think the Apple codec is the problem. Sounds like you found a work around even though it's a PITA. Only other suggestion would be to upload your videos to your You Tube account and post the embedded video. That's probabaly what I will do for my cruise and just make the video private so that anyone with the link can watch.

Thank you very much for your kind words.

When I talked to my boss about retiring, I told him that i would be happy to come back from time to time and help out on projects. He thanked me and said he would but also said "Don't be surprised and it's ok to say no thank you, I'm doing fine with retirement if we call."

Thank you for what you do. 

Thank You Bonnie!

So basically you re encoded it to H.264 right?

I like the fact that they went to school that specializes in the arts and no sports. Congrats that your daughter is making a difference in the young loves of people as a teacher.

Thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mets07 said:

Last night I went to Manhattan with my husband. He wanted to go to a show of the guitarist Tommy Emmanuel. 

First we had dinner. First photo is bar at restaurant we went to...

20211002_173722.thumb.jpg.d13ae471b1b22f1bd8c8c52be6d81107.jpg

Then two photos taken on walk to the event location, "Town Hall."  Times Square area was much more crowded than it appears in photo.

20211002_191540.thumb.jpg.6595523a791a6e70ff80d60aaf2b78f6.jpg

20211002_192630.thumb.jpg.861895504258d7e17e4fcd86545ebaa7.jpg

At the event... this was not really my type of thing, but  my husband enjoyed it. Tommy Emmanuel is an outstanding guitarist and entertainer.

20211002_212627.thumb.jpg.8ca394067fbf584da37527f1c29f7238.jpg

Many people are not aware of his greatness.My daughter and husband saw him in Australia several years ago.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I just received an incredible email announcement from my boss that really touched me.

13 hours ago, Coralc said:

What a wonderful letter of recognition Greg! That is so nice of them to recognize your contributions and accomplishments. It is such a wonderful feeling. :classic_biggrin: Congratulations. 

10 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Well deserved Gregg. Happy retirement and hope your cruise is amazing. Graham.

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Congratulations Greg (almost)!  Sounds like you are a real asset to KMBC and well liked by your coworkers.  What a great way to head into retirement.

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

@Sea Dog Great write up. It is great to see recognition in a world that, often times, only provides feed back when one screws up. Congratulations.

6 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Greg, so excited for your upcoming retirement. Welcome to the club.

Enjoy as you take the time to do all the things you have dreamed of.

6 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Greg, wonderful letter!  Thanks for sharing.  You have every right to feel proud of your accomplishments.

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Congratulations on a wonderful career and hopefully a happy and healthy retirement.

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Congratulations @sea dog on the wonderful tribute and your upcoming retirement.  

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

I had multi-quoted many posts, but CC went sideways on me. -- Greg’s glowing retirement letter. 

28 minutes ago, singinalot said:

what a tribute! congratulations!

+ 11 -- such a nice letter 🌷

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mets07 said:

Last night I went to Manhattan with my husband. He wanted to go to a show of the guitarist Tommy Emmanuel. 

First we had dinner. First photo is bar at restaurant we went to...

20211002_173722.thumb.jpg.d13ae471b1b22f1bd8c8c52be6d81107.jpg

Then two photos taken on walk to the event location, "Town Hall."  Times Square area was much more crowded than it appears in photo.

20211002_191540.thumb.jpg.6595523a791a6e70ff80d60aaf2b78f6.jpg

20211002_192630.thumb.jpg.861895504258d7e17e4fcd86545ebaa7.jpg

At the event... this was not really my type of thing, but  my husband enjoyed it. Tommy Emmanuel is an outstanding guitarist and entertainer.

20211002_212627.thumb.jpg.8ca394067fbf584da37527f1c29f7238.jpg

Thanks for the photos , we really miss our nyc visits .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Bob, I also meant to ask, are the May dates for the shrimp fest already decided?  I want to make sure I’m not visiting on that occasion!!  (Although I’d love a drone’s eye view of the car rally!)

Yes. April 29 - May 1. 
https://www.shrimpfestival.com

10 hours ago, sgmn said:

My early shifts at work started at 5.30 so I was up at 3.45 to get there a few minutes early.

Once I was on the road I liked the quiet dark roads , driving to work with the radio on.

The "quiet dark roads" reminds me of a story... My BFF, after retirement, took a course of making your own wine -- from planting the seeds and until she got some 30 bottles of her "own" label.

The day of harvesting the grapes, she had to be there before dawn, and hit the road at 4AM. A few mins later, she got a call from her "security-car" service, asking her why is the car out and about at such an early hour, and on his way to the Palestinian authority (the vinegard was close to the border, and some Palestinians have a distinctive preference for Israelis jeeps...).

She replied that everything is OK, she is driving the car, and since she is a talkative one [like myself], she told the operator that she is on her way to harvest grapes...

When she arrived at the vinegard, she told her story to the others, and one of them exclaimed: "that's what happened to me too.... and the operator mused: 'so many people are suddenly driving at 4AM to harvest grapes' "?  [It must have been the same operator...]

And, yes, we got a bottle, and DH said it was quite a good wine...

7 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I was the boss of many people throughout my career and one of the more enjoyable tasks was celebrating retirements and service anniversaries.  It's great to get away from the day to day stuff and focus on something very positive.  And it really does have a great impact on the person being celebrated.

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

That was always my way.  Treating employees like family, and using please and thank you made it a much more enjoyable place. 

@Sea Dog

The sort of "nice words to another" reminds me of another story ...

More than 30 years ago,  I typed a Ph.D in Physics to a Phantom fighter pilot, a very gifted person, who was also working as a B-740 captain at our national airline.

Because of his very tight schedule, I've done my best to accommodate his crazy hours, and sometimes he stayed on our balcony to proof my typing, instead of coming back a week later.

I was curious about his service during the wars, and he told me that he was a very lucky one, being shot down only once, above Egypt, in the Yom Kippur war. And that, by sheer luck, he was found by our troops and he and his navigator (which had broke both arms when ejected), were brought back safely.

Last week, I heard a promo for a special program at TV called "one in a million"... about 2 fighter pilots being stranded in Egypt, and the story seemed "familiar".

Lo and behold -- that's "my" pilot .... with a twist to the story -- turns out that he volunteered on week-ends, some 4 years before the war, to teach flying. He had one pupil, quite gifted, that after 4 or 5 lessons told him that he has no more money to come all the way to the flying club, and, asked, timidly, if he has a chance to be accepted in the army's flying course. "My" pilot hesitated a few moments, because it is the most prestigious course in the army, and only 4 finish out of 100, so he didn't want to give the eager pupil false expectations. In the end, he told him: "go, go with all your power".

Back to Egypt and the 2 stranded pilots. Their only chance of survival was if our troops will find them. He told the TV person that they have a device which transmits their position, and he put it on, while tending to his navigator. It was getting dark, and he suddenly heard a helicopter approaching, and getting nearer, and he told his navigator: "stay awake, stay awake, they are coming for us" !!

But, then, the helicopter turned away, and he began to think how the army will announce his parents of his demise... when he noticed that, while tending to his navigator, he pushed the device, and it stopped transmitting their position.

The helicopter was almost ready to give up, because, as they said in the program, it is flying quite close to the ground, and the pair were quite deep inside enemy territory. And the device stopped. Suddenly, at the last moment, they heard the device again, and quite quickly landed and took the pair on.

Why the long story?? Because after "my" pilot saw that his navigator was in good hands, he decided to go to the front and thank the helicopter's pilots for not giving up on them.

And who was helicopter's pilot??? The pupil from some years ago, whom "my" pilot had no idea that he managed to finish the prestigious course.

A good word of encouragement saved "my" pilot's life....

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I can't believe all the crazy live reviews,  😜

I had trouble keeping up before.  Now, with all the live reviews I am following, Roll calls, and this thread, my inbox is getting flooded with notifications.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

We are on Odyssey and the captain announced that 10% of passengers still haven’t checked in. All aboard was 4:30. Wonder what’s going on with all of them.

They must have forgotten because they were reading CC.

Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1