"Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?

22 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

These two homes are not flippers. 😎

Neither is the home we are in now.  Will only be moving out of this one...carrying me feet first. Our last permanent home. 😉  

Possibly not our last remodel project however, we are in serious planning of looking at small homes/cottage/cabins in upper Maine.  Have driven the "land yacht" up there for 10 of the last 12 years for the summer.  Don't want to do it any longer.  Traffic has gotten really bad, and drivers are getting scarier.  Already had one wild 16 year old take off the front of our first land yacht going down the highway....don't want to go through that again.  

If we buy one, we will enjoy the summers tweaking our new little summer home.  🙂 

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

Does sound like we indeed have a lot in common!  🙂  Sadly, some of the "new generation" just can't get their heads around work ethic like that.  Shame...as they are missing out on the wonderful feeling of "look what I have accomplished with my hard work".  Nothing like it.  😉 

We have 2 Sons both are in their mid/late 20's now.     One of the boys around 15 or 16 said he wanted to have his room painted.    Went to store, picked out paint, came home get all the needed supplies out of the basement and handed to him.   He looked at me like  I was from Mars.     He whined a little while doing it but when all done, he announced he really enjoyed doing that. 

The other Son is now living with his Girlfriend and I think she is the "handy person" of that household.   Even though we tried to teach the boys how to do different repairs around the house, they just weren't interested.   

Now don't get me wrong, when they are home and if either Dad or I are doing a project, they will help out but I just don't see either of them ever doing any of the renovation work I have done (as a girl too!)   I've laid my own tile, hardwood floors, hung my own kitchen cabinets, crown moulding, etc etc.    I've refinished hardwood on my own (those machines are hand to handle till you get used to it).  

12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We have 2 Sons both are in their mid/late 20's now.     One of the boys around 15 or 16 said he wanted to have his room painted.    Went to store, picked out paint, came home get all the needed supplies out of the basement and handed to him.   He looked at me like  I was from Mars.     He whined a little while doing it but when all done, he announced he really enjoyed doing that. 

The other Son is now living with his Girlfriend and I think she is the "handy person" of that household.   Even though we tried to teach the boys how to do different repairs around the house, they just weren't interested.   

Now don't get me wrong, when they are home and if either Dad or I are doing a project, they will help out but I just don't see either of them ever doing any of the renovation work I have done (as a girl too!)   I've laid my own tile, hardwood floors, hung my own kitchen cabinets, crown moulding, etc etc.    I've refinished hardwood on my own (those machines are hand to handle till you get used to it).  

Yup, I got good at hanging drywall, doing the "mud work", concrete work, plaster, brick/block work, flooring, tile, cabinet installation, etc. Heck we even did our own roof at one of the houses we built.   All without any training. 

The one thing I can't do is plumbing and electrical. 😮  Thank goodness hubs #1 and especially hubs #2 were good at it.  Leave me alone to finish the drywall work...go do the plumbing please sweetie!.  😉 

Edited by island lady
25 minutes ago, island lady said:

Does sound like we indeed have a lot in common!  🙂  Sadly, some of the "new generation" just can't get their heads around work ethic like that.  Shame...as they are missing out on the wonderful feeling of "look what I have accomplished with my hard work".  Nothing like it.  😉 

Agree! Spend your money now and enjoy what you've worked so hard for as if you don't your kids will have no problem spending it for you. Either before or after you kick the bucket. 

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree! Spend your money now and enjoy what you've worked so hard for as if you don't your kids will have no problem spending it for you. Either before or after you kick the bucket. 

Broker told us "The best scenario...is to let the last check bounce".  😉 Going to try and follow that advice...if we can ever friggin' get to travel to spend the money again !!  😮 

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Well, I'm 60 and while I know the basics of how to lay tile, we're currently having our large (12x12) bathroom renovated.  As in, the guys are upstairs right now, finishing up the tile work.  They did all the demo, and are doing all the work, including paint.  They still have to install fixtures, quartz countertop and glass shower doors.  We've done some basic stuff in our homes, but when they're done with the bathroom, they're tiling my backsplash in the kitchen.  We now pay people to do everything because we can.  Our 34 and 36 yr old married sons own homes and do a lot of the work, but they also hire out for renovations.  They do paint and my youngest DS can build/repair almost anything, but he also knows what he doesn't know. Everyone needs to know their limits.  I helped hang a kitchen cabinet and it's a PITA.    

36 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yup, I got good at hanging drywall, doing the "mud work", concrete work, plaster, brick/block work, flooring, tile, cabinet installation, etc. Heck we even did our own roof at one of the houses we built.   All without any training. 

The one thing I can't do is plumbing and electrical. 😮  Thank goodness hubs #1 and especially hubs #2 were good at it.  Leave me alone to finish the drywall work...go do the plumbing please sweetie!.  😉 

Same here,   My DH and I helped my Dad replace his roof a couple years ago (tear off and replaced a couple pieces of roof decking, new tar paper and architectural shingles.    We had a blast.    

I am not all that good at spackle,  I have been told I go to heavy with it. but I same here I can hang the sheetrock and tape it.   

We did our own EP Henry paver patio and absolutely love the design we did!     Always proud of our finish product every time I sit out there.   

The house we are in now is ready for a kitchen makeover and that was on my plans for this year but we have been so busy with work that we just haven't had the time.

We definitely have to meet sometime on a cruise in 2021!!

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

But of course -- this "sidetrack" 😁 is smack in the middle of the routine "boundaries"😁....

Hi,  Just wondering if you are able to pick up several of these masks being made in Israel and ship to all of us for formal nights when we start sailing 

https://www.yvel.com/2020/08/12/face-mask/      

They only cost something like a 1.5 million USD

On 11/16/2020 at 11:59 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Things are certainly different. Here, we would call those apartments, condos. Here, at least in Florida, we call multiple units that one rents, a apartment. We noticed in Isarel, the called them apartments even though they owned them. I’m not really sure what they call the high rises in places like NYC. 

The boss tells me “we” have decided to add the second story feature to our build. That puts it up to 6000+ sq/ft under air. It’s on a 1/2 acre. The big reason for our move is additional garage space. We currently have a 3 car but are building 6 car.  All I say is “yes mam”. 

M8

Our post office address for the condo is Apt 601

9 hours ago, Domino D said:

Lioness, that would be a great topic for thread, or to do on here.  What are you doing with your cruise money?

Today, so far, I am playing mental hooky.  I have to write an opinion on something for a client and am suffering from writers block.  Hoping to get things started soon.  I've put on like 8 Covid pounds and have been reading about intermittent fasting. Hope the weather doesn't get to bad. 

Been saving my cruise money.

Sitting on a little nest egg for April of next year, as it looks like this Canadian won’t be cruising or heading to an AI for a while due to travel restrictions. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Not sure it's all generational.  I'm a 60 year old man and worked construction all through high school and college. I actually had to get a union card at 18 to be able to drive trucks and backhoes on job sites.  When I graduated, I told myself I'll never do yard work or home repairs again.  I'll hang the odd blind or fix something that broke.  I had to rewire a lamp for wife this past weekend to avoid trouble.  BUT, I have never cut the grass, trimmed the bushes, or done any renovations.  I gladly pay others to do it.  I have friend who love yard work, and are always pitching me on how relaxing it is. 

When my son was 18, between high school and college, I had a friend of mine put him on a crew tearing moldy drywall out of a hotel being renovated.  The crew he worked with did more making him understand the value of an education than I ever could.  He changes his own oil (learned from Youtube).  My advice to him, you know there are places that will do that for you.   

Edited by Domino D
8 minutes ago, mets07 said:

Northern New Jersey this evening. Train station area photos. Getting cold and windy. 

20201117_183226.jpg

How pretty! I'll bet it even looks pretty in the snow. :classic_biggrin: I love the appearance of train stations. 

Well bummer. Our county and 40 others in CA have been bumped back to the Purple, widespread-most restrictive tier because of rising Covid cases. Everything is closing again or going back to outside in the rain. And just in time for the non-holidays. :classic_sad:

Tiers are (widespread) Purple/Red/Orange/Yellow(minimal).  Darn. We had made it all the way to Orange. Looking forward to brighter days ahead. :classic_smile:

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Same here,   My DH and I helped my Dad replace his roof a couple years ago (tear off and replaced a couple pieces of roof decking, new tar paper and architectural shingles.    We had a blast.    

Funny, we had our roof replaced in the past month.  Both times our house has been re-roofed it was done by a company that showed up and said they would get the insurance company to pay for it.  Both times they even magically made my deductible disappear.  The crew this time was here at 6:30am and gone by 3:30pm.  Job done. 

What we were talking about was that my friends and I put  roofs on each of our parents houses between 12 and 19.  Oldest kids were in charge younger kids carried supplies up and down the ladders. Different world today.  In fairness our parents houses were ranch houses.  

Edited by Domino D
38 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Funny, we had our roof replaced in the past month.  Both times our house has been re-roofed it was done by a company that showed up and said they would get the insurance company to pay for it.  Both times they even magically made my deductible disappear.  The crew this time was here at 6:30am and gone by 3:30pm.  Job done. 

What we were talking about was that my friends and I put  roofs on each of our parents houses between 12 and 19.  Oldest kids were in charge younger kids carried supplies up and down the ladders. Different world today.  In fairness our parents houses were ranch houses.  

I wish that had been the case for my parents house.  Very steep roof with a couple different gables.  As kids my Dad would bring out the ladder and we would sit up there to watch firework displays.   Nowadays he would probably be thrown in jail for letting us do that with him.