Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

The pavers around our pool plus the walkway from the pool to the back deck are 1500 sq ft.  Total cost was $23,000.  $7k in materials and $16k in labor (which included a LOT of fill brought in plus a lot of grading).  

How many days did it take them to complete a job like that?

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Frost heaving is one of the issues with my current driveway. plus age, it is around 30 years old.  Our driveway is a curved hill up to a flat pad in front of the garage.  Pavers just wouldn't work with the grade.  We currently have to snow blow the driveway and then shovel everything that is left in all the uneven areas.  Way too much work.  I don't want another winter doing that.

We signed a contract about a month ago and had to go with our second choice as our first choice can't guarantee he can get it done before the end of the paving season (ends around Thanksgiving),  As it is, our estimate date is around Halloween with the company we are going with.  Just hope the other work we are having done gets finished or we will have to delay the driveway.  Getting anyone scheduled these days is a nightmare.

Same here. We signed on July 1st and were told 8-12 weeks.  Getting close, I just hope they get it in this season.  Even getting people out to give estimates was a pain. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Same here. We signed on July 1st and were told 8-12 weeks.  Getting close, I just hope they get it in this season.  Even getting people out to give estimates was a pain. 

It is just crazy!  I waited a month to get a few estimates on a fence and put a deposit down in May.  They said 8 weeks.  I have called and called.  Our rails are finally in and they expect to get it installed within two weeks.  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Try getting a price on doing that size driveway with just plain concrete, it would probably be twice what you are paying just to repave your current driveway.

It would likely be even more than that.  As part of this driveway project, we have to have our garage doorway reframed and the apron of the garage replaced and part of the garage floor.  No way I want to figure out that price based on what we are paying for the contracted work.  Granted, a floor will be deeper than a driveway but, dang is it expensive.

Now if I can just get the contractor to do his work, so the cement guy can come in next before the projected paving date of October 25th.  

• Like 1

We were on a Carnival Triumph cruise out of Manhattan on January, 2002.  Lots of laughter, merriment on the top deck as we glided out of the port.  However, when we passed the spot where the twin towers used to be, a hush fell over the crowd.  We noticed a coast guard boat close to us  and those at the rail started clapping and cheering.  Soon everyone on the deck was clapping to honor those first responders. That it happened just in front of where the twin towers stood made it unforgettable.

BTW that was our first and last Carnival cruise. 🤐

• Like 7

A short while ago I viewed Capt. Kate giving a You Tube tour of the Iconic suite on Celebrity's Edge.  Over 2.500 sq. feet of luxury.  $52,000 per week. Amazing. 

Relaxing waiting for my sister and bro in law to stop by for some munchies and pleasant chat.  Later, we'll probably spend at least 30 minutes trying to pick a place for dinner we all can agree on.....sigh. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

A short while ago I viewed Capt. Kate giving a You Tube tour of the Iconic suite on Celebrity's Edge.  Over 2.500 sq. feet of luxury.  $52,000 per week. Amazing. 

Relaxing waiting for my sister and bro in law to stop by for some munchies and pleasant chat.  Later, we'll probably spend at least 30 minutes trying to pick a place for dinner we all can agree on.....sigh. 

A friend thru work did the first sailing out of Greece in june in the iconic suite on celebrity's new ship Apex.   Family of 6, no idea what he paid but sure is way more than I would want to pay for a week.  Sent Eric pictures of the suite, amazing!

• Like 1

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

A friend thru work did the first sailing out of Greece in june in the iconic suite on celebrity's new ship Apex.   Family of 6, no idea what he paid but sure is way more than I would want to pay for a week.  Sent Eric pictures of the suite, amazing!

We did bid on the iconic suite in July , we had to settle for the penthouse suite 😁😁.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, George C said:

we went to a Dallas cowboy football game soon after 9/11 they had a flag that covered the entire field, so are you ready for football, go Buffalo Bills .

I used to be one of the flag carriers at our games. The first instructions were “Keep up!” because you trot out on the field. 
Second instruction was “If you fall, don’t get up!”

My heart was in my throat every darn time!!

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

We were on a Carnival Triumph cruise out of Manhattan on January, 2002.  Lots of laughter, merriment on the top deck as we glided out of the port.  However, when we passed the spot where the twin towers used to be, a hush fell over the crowd.  We noticed a coast guard boat close to us  and those at the rail started clapping and cheering.  Soon everyone on the deck was clapping to honor those first responders. That it happened just in front of where the twin towers stood made it unforgettable.

BTW that was our first and last Carnival cruise. 🤐

Yes, we were one & done with them as well!

• Like 1

We only sailed with Carnival once too. It was supposed to be a 7 night Mexican Riviera. We flew from San Francisco to LA and boarded. There was a hurricane that hit all 3 ports. We stopped in Ensenada and most of the Southern California people departed the cruise. (About half of the passengers). The ship then sailed to San Francisco and spent two and a half days docked. Then we sailed back to LA disembarked, and flew home back to San Francisco. :classic_biggrin: Once was enough. 

• Like 2

We are one time Carnival cruisers.  At the time, we had sailed 4 TA cruises on X, my first RCI was on Navigator, B2B Eastern Med and TA, so DW decided to give Carnival a try, the brand new Carnival Dream from Civitavecchia to NY.  While it was a  fine cruise, there was no wow factor, nothing that would make me want to do it again. 

Definitely, when I boarded  Navigator , I was totally wowed. Also Freedom, Also Oasis.  Next up is Odyssey.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

One Carnival cruise for us too.

We have done 4 over the past few years. And I can say that the experience depends upon which ship, type of passengers, where from, what time of year and which sailing.

I can summarize:

2 cruises in January RT Baltimore, 14 days...Very Good! Mostly civilized adults.

1 cruise in February out of Tampa (to Baltimore), 14 days....Very Good! Mostly civilized adults.

1 cruise in August out of New York.....OMGeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Passengers were a total disaster, absolute ghetto! It was like a Tyler Perry Madea movie. No complaints about service, food or cabin. We just felt like we were extras in the Madea movie and absolutely out of place. Do you know if you are in a hammock and big mama wants exactly that one, she just comes and swings the hammock till she flips you out. And you can't say  a word to her since she is menacing and comes with a waddling army of other big mammas. That can happen on other ships, but this is the ship where it happened to me. We laugh about it now but my bum was really hurt and bruised when I was swung out and landed on deck. You have seen us, and probably remember how small we are. Do you think we were in any position to say even meeeow to big mamma? Heck no!

RJ does not like Carnival's current protocols and current policies so we will not be doing a Carnival in the near future. But things change and I never say never.😉just not in August out of NY.😁😉

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Coralc said:

We only sailed with Carnival once too. It was supposed to be a 7 night Mexican Riviera. We flew from San Francisco to LA and boarded. There was a hurricane that hit all 3 ports. We stopped in Ensenada and most of the Southern California people departed the cruise. (About half of the passengers). The ship then sailed to San Francisco and spent two and a half days docked. Then we sailed back to LA disembarked, and flew home back to San Francisco. :classic_biggrin: Once was enough. 

We also did only one carnival cruise. It was The  Breeze. It was actually a really good cruise, the free food options were good as were the comedy shows. I'm not sure why we haven't booked again, maybe because they don't operate from the UK and not much in Europe. Or maybe we're just happy with Royal Caribbean and content to stick with them.

• Like 3