Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

25 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:Has anyone read The President Is Missing?  It was co-written recently by James Patterson and Bill Clinton. I see that there’s also a second book now from these 2.  Looking for a book for my cruise next week. 

We both read it , I like most of James Peterson’s novels and I bought the second book but haven’t read that yet , book was good. I need to look for one of the Bosch books . 

I was away last week and am furiously trying to catch up here.  I'm only 20 pages behind, yikes!

@Sea DogGreg, I just wanted to congratulate you on the nominations and the upcoming cruise.  What a great way to end your career and start your retirement! 

@LionesssThe wedding photos are beautiful.  What a wonderful project it will be going through all of the proofs.  It will be like reliving the wedding all over again.

Speaking of Carnival, one and done for us too, most likely.  I can't remember the ship we were on, we did have a nice Haven aft cabin but the overall atmosphere was a bit much.  Adult men in tank tops walking barefoot inside the public areas was the final straw.  Who does that?  Eww!

Speaking of pavers, my husband did our walkway about 12 years ago.  It was about 90 Square feet and the materials were about $1500.  Unfortunately, since we tore down the garage and added on, we now need another 10 feet to get to the new driveway ($8500) and will have to replace the old pavers.  Add in the patio that I have been waiting on for the past year.  All that money we saved staying home will soon be spent.  On another note, the walkway held up great to shoveling and snow blowing.  I would love a paver driveway but I love to travel more.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We very much enjoyed the wedding yesterday evening. It was so nice to meet friends whom we did not see for what seems like ages...

The wedding was very low key, in line with the young couple, who had been together since high school.

The reception area before the chuppah, where hors d'oeuvres were served. I always like to eat those, they're usually more tasty than the meal served afterwards. [and I was right....😉]

IMG_6462.jpg

The brothers and sisters setting up the chuppah.

IMG_6465.jpg

The young couple.

IMG_6466.jpg

The ceremony.

IMG_6467.jpg

The dining area. My [girl]friends and I managed to squeeze some dances together, masked....

IMG_6468.jpg

Wonderful.    The young couple looks lovely and very happy.    

Also would like to wish all our Jewish friends G'mar hatima Tova

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Are lateral flow tests mandatory? That would be a reassurance I guess. At the weekend we are having a family dinner for our 35th anniversary and I think I'm going to ask everyone to do a test (from home,  so easy to do and free kits from the govt) as rates are bumping along and actually going up in our area .  My ex sister in law had a family party last week,  and several guests went down with covid afterwards .

Everyone at our do is vaxxed 

A bit early, but Happy 35th Anniversary.    I hope you had a wonderful dinner.    that sounds like a good idea to ask everyone to do at home test before arriving.   Better safe than sorry.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2021 at 3:17 PM, Arzeena said:

Do you know if you are in a hammock and big mama wants exactly that one, she just comes and swings the hammock till she flips you out. And you can't say  a word to her since she is menacing and comes with a waddling army of other big mammas.

Your story made me wince.  My sister actually went to sit on a hammock on one of the Celebrity ships.  She said the thing flipped around and she landed on her back and ended up in the medical center.  She said it was excruciating.  Once she was home she had an x-ray and found out that she had a fractured  vertebrae.  It took forever for it to fully heal.  You are so lucky to have escaped with only a bruised back though.  The ignorance of that woman was astounding.   This was nothing short of assault!  I'm so sorry it happened to you. 

Speaking of my sister.  She and my BIL came out and spent a couple of days with me on Block Island.  They wanted to ride their bikes and not wanting to be a Debby Downer I told them we could ride.  It can be pretty challenging if you don't ride regularly, which they do not.  In addition to wanting to bike she was on a mission to find an orb.  A local local artist leaves them here and there on the walking trails. After finishing our first search we were pedaling on a dirt road which had a steep incline onto the pavement. I knew, after coming off the pavement onto the dirt, and barely staying upright that I would not be riding back up it again.  My sister on the other hand was following her DH and realized, too late, that she wasn't going to make it.  She then fell over and onto her back.  With my heart in my throat I hopped off and asked if her back was ok.  It was, thanks to the backpack she was wearing.  The elbow, not so good.  In the meantime, my BIL had pedaled off down the road never realizing what happened.  We caught up to him almost 10 minutes later.  That pretty much ended the desire to ride and we just hiked the next day. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Has anyone read The President Is Missing?  It was co-written recently by James Patterson and Bill Clinton. I see that there’s also a second book now from these 2.  Looking for a book for my cruise next week. 

Oh my, book recommendations? You’ve really started it now!  I myself am not a fan of Patterson, I just don’t like the short chapter (1 to 1 1/2 pages) format.  A few favorites:

Michael Connelly (Bosch & Haller series’)

Lee Child (Jack Reacher series)

James Lee Burke (Dave Robicheaux series)

Nelson DeMille (anything but especially the John Corey series)

I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes

My all time favorite book is 11/22/64 by Stephen King.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sheal said:

Speaking of Carnival, one and done for us too, most likely.  I can't remember the ship we were on, we did have a nice Haven aft cabin but the overall atmosphere was a bit much.  Adult men in tank tops walking barefoot inside the public areas was the final straw.  Who does that?  Eww!

We didn’t care for it for several reasons, but the kicker was the guests wearing their cabin bathrobes & slippers at the breakfast buffet every morning. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I just learned of Norm MacDonald's passing yesterday.  One of Canada's greatest comedians.  He was a staple on Saturday Night Live as the Weekend Update anchor.  One of his best forms of comedy was story telling.  Love this one.

This joke about Steve Irwin was told only 10 days after his death.  Definitely a "too soon" moment but he still managed to make everyone laugh.

RIP    He was only 61 yrs young - that is really sad.     I remember him seeing him pop up on other TV shows.    He always had a sense of humor that not everyone would understand.   

13 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Wonderful.    The young couple looks lovely and very happy.    

Also would like to wish all our Jewish friends G'mar hatima Tova

Thank you. 

For those not in the know, "G'mar Hatima Tova" is what we wish each other before Yom Kippur which starts tonight and ends tomorrow night, the most solemn fasting holiday.  It wishes us to be sealed in the Book of Life.  Those who are fasting, (no food no water for approx. 25 hours) have an easy one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We very much enjoyed the wedding yesterday evening. It was so nice to meet friends whom we did not see for what seems like ages...

The wedding was very low key, in line with the young couple, who had been together since high school.

The reception area before the chuppah, where hors d'oeuvres were served. I always like to eat those, they're usually more tasty than the meal served afterwards. [and I was right....😉]

IMG_6462.jpg

The brothers and sisters setting up the chuppah.

IMG_6465.jpg

The young couple.

IMG_6466.jpg

The ceremony.

IMG_6467.jpg

The dining area. My [girl]friends and I managed to squeeze some dances together, masked....

IMG_6468.jpg

Beautiful, wedding venue.  May the couple always be as happy as they are now.

G'mar Chatima Tovah

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Oh my, book recommendations? You’ve really started it now!  I myself am not a fan of Patterson, I just don’t like the short chapter (1 to 1 1/2 pages) format.  A few favorites:

I agree Patterson books have really short chapters but I still like most of them, I like everything written by David Baldacci .

• Like 2

Has anyone read The President Is Missing?  It was co-written recently by James Patterson and Bill Clinton. I see that there’s also a second book now from these 2.  Looking for a book for my cruise next week. 

I tried. One of the few books I just could not finish. Too many similarities to the Trump administration.

12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Classy😉

You want classy?  On one of our RCI cruises, the guy sitting next to me in the MDR (Jack was on my other side dressed appropriately) was wearing a tank top.  A HAIRY guy whose clammy arm kept touching mine.  I kept moving my chair closer and closer to Jack until I was almost in his lap.😁

We changed tables for the rest of the cruise. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Sheal said:

I was away last week and am furiously trying to catch up here.  I'm only 20 pages behind, yikes!

@Sea DogGreg, I just wanted to congratulate you on the nominations and the upcoming cruise.  What a great way to end your career and start your retirement! 

Easy to get behind. Thank you for your very kind words. The count down to retirement cruise is on!

image_72192707.JPG

• Like 11

I started The President is Missing and just couldn't get into it.

I've read many Patterson books, my favorites are the Women's Murder Mysteries and the Michael Bennett Series. 

I've read just about everything David Baldacci, Robin Cook, Harlan Coben, John Grisham, Hannah Kristin, Stephanie Plum, Lisa Scottoline wrote.  Easy reading.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Easy to get behind. Thank you for your very kind words. The count down to retirement cruise is on!

image_72192707.JPG

This is great!  Is that your lock screen and does it count down in real time?  If so, what did you use to create it?  I'd like to always have a countdown to my next vacation on my iPhone lock screen.  😁

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

A bit early, but Happy 35th Anniversary.    I hope you had a wonderful dinner.    that sounds like a good idea to ask everyone to do at home test before arriving.   Better safe than sorry.

Thank you, can't believe where the years have gone too 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

You want classy?  On one of our RCI cruises, the guy sitting next to me in the MDR (Jack was on my other side dressed appropriately) was wearing a tank top.  A HAIRY guy whose clammy arm kept touching mine.  I kept moving my chair closer and closer to Jack until I was almost in his lap.😁

We changed tables for the rest of the cruise. 

Ewww, gross!    I am picturing him now and cringing.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I started The President is Missing and just couldn't get into it.

I've read many Patterson books, my favorites are the Women's Murder Mysteries and the Michael Bennett Series. 

I've read just about everything David Baldacci, Robin Cook, Harlan Coben, John Grisham, Hannah Kristin, Stephanie Plum, Lisa Scottoline wrote.  Easy reading.

I also really enjoyed the Women’s Murder Mysteries , have read only a few and I know there are at least 20 of them. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Books...

Allison Brennan's Lucy Kincaid series

Harry Bosch series

Patricia Cornwell

Clive Cussler

Elizabeth George

Tami Hoag

P. D. James

J. A. Jane

Louise Penny

Anne Perry

John Sanford 

Lisa Scottoline

P. J. Tracy

Margaret Truman

I've heard Randy Wayne White and Stuart Woods are good but have not read anything by them.

If you want some lighter fare...

Mary Kay Andrew's

M. C. Beaton

Jennifer Chiaverini

Laura Childs

Janet Evanovich

Joanne Fluke

Sally Goldenbaum

Kerry *****

Victoria Thompson

Happy reading.

• Like 1

I've read just about everything from Baldacci (finishing the latest Amos Decker right now), Grisham, Lee Child, Dan Brown.  I've read a lot of James Patterson (Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Private) and John Sandford (All Virgil Flowers and some Lucas Davenport).  Sounds like some mixed reviews for The President Is Missing but I'll give it a shot.  The idea of having a former President, no matter the party, add some realism is intriguing.  After having watched most of Bosch on TV, I'll definitely need to give those books a shot as well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

This is great!  Is that your lock screen and does it count down in real time?  If so, what did you use to create it?  I'd like to always have a countdown to my next vacation on my iPhone lock screen.  😁

I just found an iPhone app. It's called Countdown Star. The free one has an ad at the bottom so I went back and got the one for 99 cents that is ad free. Pretty simple to figure out. You can use some of their standard pics or choose one from your photo library.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1