Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Paint weekend for us, which is definitely taking my mind off of my covid test I have to take in the morning. We were tired of getting $6K-$22k paint quotes (🤑WTW🤪) to paint the interior of our home so we decided to paint ourselves. Husband started yesterday with taping and painting the foyer while I worked my 8 to 5. Today he has resumed and made his way to the hallway and dining room. I'm finishing up my work so I can have a stress free Monday and Tuesday prior to my cruise and his boy's getaway to Vegas. YAY US!!!

I'm taking a mental break and then I'll go and help him this afternoon. Our home had a golden harvest paint color with brown home accents. We decided to brighten our home with SW Amazing Gray. It looks fabulous.  It's more beige than gray. Perfect for us and our tall ceilings.  We're going to coordinate with SW Naval accent wall in the dining room that carries into the kitchen (open floor concept). We're also painting the island SW Naval and around the fireplace corner wall. SW Denim walls in the bathrooms.  We'll eventually paint our kitchen cabinets and bathroom cabinets SW Alabaster.  I'm also painting my front door that's inside the house Naval. Mentally I think I'm preparing for my beach condo when we retire in 15 year. LOL!!

My husband is doing a wonderful job! I didn't know he had these types of skills!! I see more paint projects in his future. He keeps asking me, now how much money are we saving. LOL!!!  And the crazy thing is we purchased top of the line paint because one we don't know what we're doing, two we only wanted to apply ONE COAT and three because we don't know what we're doing, we wanted it to look as professional as possible. LOL!! 

To start our project we purchased 5 Gallons SW Infinity paint $230. I got pissed all over again. My crazy math and why I think they were ripping us off on these paint quotes.

$6,600 - Cheapest quote, everyone else was over $12K

- (460) - 10 gallons (entire house) of paint at retail Lowes prices. You know they get it at contractor prices.

-(2,400) - 5 man crew, 8 hrs day @ $20/hr for 3 days

-(500) equipment and supplies - guestimate. I know it's not this much.

3,240 Profit

So the owner takes home $3240 for this 3 day job. That's pretty good I think. But I'm shaking my head at the quotes that were over $12K. WTW!!! I'm in the wrong business.

Edited by cynt
  • Like 5

I don't know Sharon Avenue.  Charlie lived right at the beginning of the St. Patrick's Day Parade!

Hart Blvd. and Forest Avenue.  Jim marched with the Fire Department every year.  I marched one year with the Ladies Hibernians just prior to moving to New Jersey.

42 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

Truth to be told I haven't either, DH has but I usually wait until last day to pack.  If i start too soon I seem to keep adding things I really don't need.😀

Well that sure sounds familiar!!!😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Dani, what an interesting life you have had growing up!  I mean, certainly much different than when I was growing up..I babysat at age 14, worked as a cashier in a food store while in my last year of High School before working in Manhattan after High School Graduation.

I worked in a liqour store. I think that is better than working in a food store.🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Have you cruised with them?

They haven't started cruising yet, have they?

I went back and looked. I guess they have.  Looked at their CC site and already have a thread that is locked.

Edited by mo&fran

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Just out of curiosity I opened up a review of Virgin's Scarlett Lady cruise ship.

Decor is very contemporary, not to my personal liking at all. 

I thought the same thing too and i like contemporary but not on a ship. It had no warmth.

@Sea Dog...Wow Greg, only a few more weeks until you join the club called "Retirement"!!!!

Thank you I can't wait to join the club!

• Like 3

What did I do today you ask ? The normal temperature for October 2 is 55.Today it was 80.The HOA of my condo decided to have an outdoor meeting for the first time in 33 years .It did not dawn on them that people would desire to be out of the development on such a beautiful day.

Of the 1560 residents ,37 showed up and 4 of us zoomed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Dani, what an interesting life you have had growing up!  I mean, certainly much different than when I was growing up..I babysat at age 14, worked as a cashier in a food store while in my last year of High School before working in Manhattan after High School Graduation.

I was a dog walker at age 13 ,worked for a Veterinarian at age 16,worked in a Brooklyn Department store at age 17.

• Like 4

I don't know Sharon Avenue.  Charlie lived right at the beginning of the St. Patrick's Day Parade!

Hart Blvd. and Forest Avenue.  Jim marched with the Fire Department every year.  I marched one year with the Ladies Hibernians just prior to moving to New Jersey.

Sharon is two blocks down from Hart Blvd

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Maryann, although I never worked as a cashier, the rest was my life!

Once I couldn't babysit for my neighbor so my mom agreed to sit.  When my neighbor came back home she said her kitchen was never so spotless, kids clean and sleeping.

My first job out of HS, while I took classes at night at CCNY, was at John Hancock Insurance on 42nd and 6th Ave.

I worked on 42 and 6th for the NYPL possibly when you worked at John Hancock .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

They haven't started cruising yet, have they?

I went back and looked. I guess they have.  Looked at their CC site and already have a thread that is locked.

I watched a You Tube review from a British gal whose name is Emma.  I like that she showed what she liked and what she didn't like.  The pool is tiny and looked more like a sauna.

I was not impressed.

17 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was a dog walker at age 13 ,worked for a Veterinarian at age 16,worked in a Brooklyn Department store at age 17.

A&S, Abraham and Strauss in downtown Brooklyn was always my favorite dept. store.  I was saddened when they finally folded, including the Paramus NJ store I used to frequent.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Tee shirts that my wife has hated have mysteriously disappeared from my closet.

This one almost disappeared, but it was retrieved from the donation bag.  

Whenever I ask my wife what I should wear somewhere, and she says “whatever you want!”, I will put this on.  

Then I can say “Oh, you really didn’t mean whatever!”😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Jim has the same shirt, that he bought many years ago!

How was your grandson's football game?  Besides it being a little chilly?

Unfortunately, it was a loss (34-12), but at that age, it is more about learning and having fun.  He is either playing QB or WR. He did have a nice catch here, and a lot of yards after.  

F3BB9E4F-B61E-466C-93CB-65D0C2D787F9.thumb.png.2ae2c86296554884ea013922015501ae.png

It is probably Susan’s and my fault, because our pursuit is a lot slower when we practice with him in the back yard. 😂😂

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

A&S, Abraham and Strauss in downtown Brooklyn was always my favorite dept. store.  I was saddened when they finally folded, including the Paramus NJ store I used to frequent.

I worked at Abraham and Strauss for a few years in IT , the cool thing was it was walking distance from where I lived in Brooklyn. They also gave us a discount on anything we would buy and increased the discount around Christmas time, bought several TVs and other things for family  . 

• Like 2

After our grandson’s game, we walked at the lake.  We have seen this poor goose every day for the last week.  It has either an injured leg or foot.  He walks very gingerly or keeps the foot off the ground. 

BAEEFC3C-0D23-4A99-B731-71CDA6CED698.thumb.jpeg.fc721b90538ef6e0f32ea7593f69c4ab.jpeg

All of the other geese are in groups, but none will come near him.  I guess he has been ostracized.  

Our afternoon was spent cleaning up most of the outdoor furniture and putting it away for the winter.  Another nice day tomorrow, but I will probably spend time winterizing the boat and putting it away for the winter.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Dani, what an interesting life you have had growing up!  

I had a rather interesting life until we immigrated. Ballet and tennis. 1st in my class. Family and friends.

When I was 15, my parents finally got permission to leave Romania (they tried twice before when they were younger).

I was miserable. Fifteen is a difficult age for everyone. I was very angry with my parents for uprooting me from my natural environment. New country, a whole different language, parents starting from scratch at 60.

The agricultural school I was sent to didn't award a HS diploma eligible for University entry. After one year, I managed to switch to a regular HS, but it was difficult to achieve high scores in just 3 years in Israel in order to gain a place in a good faculty, like engineering or medicine.

OTOH, my parents' intentions were geared for a  better future for me -- not to live in a Communist country.

I just didn't see it like that in the first hard years....

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

After our grandson’s game, we walked at the lake.  We have seen this poor goose every day for the last week.  It has either an injured leg or foot.  He walks very gingerly or keeps the foot off the ground. 

BAEEFC3C-0D23-4A99-B731-71CDA6CED698.thumb.jpeg.fc721b90538ef6e0f32ea7593f69c4ab.jpeg

All of the other geese are in groups, but none will come near him.  I guess he has been ostracized.  

Our afternoon was spent cleaning up most of the outdoor furniture and putting it away for the winter.  Another nice day tomorrow, but I will probably spend time winterizing the boat and putting it away for the winter.  

Do you have a wildlife rescue group you could call about the goose.  We have had a couple of geese in this year for different problems.  They have all been treated and released.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2021 at 12:44 PM, reallyitsmema said:

Thanks. These are just a few of the brads I was able to find. Great toy for a 3 year old girl and a curious ten month old brindle. NOT!

8F92687A-FE44-467D-AECF-24C550C6BAE6.jpeg

We had a similar situation after having the wooden siding stripped in preparation for vinyl siding.  I found nails in my garden beds two summers straight.  I complained to DH but heck, he never mentioned trying a magnet. 😒 

On 10/1/2021 at 12:25 PM, Lionesss said:

Every year for October in recognition of those affected by breast cancer our local community sells t - shirts where all profits are gifted to those battling the disease.  They can use the money as they wish.  
The following shirt a few years back raised the most profits. 

Stay healthy. 

D4D06D60-1E5B-4FAA-A47F-81452C8B134D.jpeg

The fire department my husband worked on sold t-shirts and sweatshirts for many years as a fundraiser.  Can't say they were as creative, I must have 10 shirts/sweatshirts that pretty much all look the same. 

On 10/1/2021 at 4:44 PM, helen haywood said:

I remember growing up I always wanted to have Duck l’orange…but it was always the most expensive dish on the menu and I was a very polite child.  Then when I was 10 we visited a very grand relative in NYC and she took us to The 21 Club and Canard aux Cerises was, comparatively speaking, one of the lesser expensive dishes.  I happily ordered it.  It was served table side and was worth all the time I’d waited to have it!  

It made up for the lunch dish I’d had the day before at the St. Regis.  I ordered sweetbreads as it sounded so intriguing. I found the texture strange…and when I learned what it actually was I was angry at my mother for letting me order it.  She said “I thought you knew what it was.”  (In her defense, I loved to cook and was working my way thru a cookbook of Julia Child’s.)  I had a wonderful mousse au chocolate to recover.

LOL.  I would have needed about 5 to overcome that traumatizing event.

15 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I was going to suggest the same thing.  I know in our state they have a rescue group for wildlife.

• Like 5