Jump to content

"Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Good news, Marietta!  Now you surely can stop worrying and start planning for your cruise on the Anthem.  I've already begun packing for Florida...at least all of my shorts and summer clothing.  

What are you going to do about the required testing for the cruise?  Our TA in Naples has hired a company to come to the Community that her office is in to test us for the February cruise, since she has a busload of people now going on our cruise.

For our April cruise, I'm planning on just going to Walgreen's or CVS.

We go to City MD, right near us.  They are pretty good.  We found if we go right when they open we are in and out pretty quickly.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Yup, will be looking in Costco (warehouse shopping in the States)

 

I absolutely have to "visit" Costco once in my lifetime 😁 I keep hearing very good things about this "shop", including very good prices for cruising.

 

When DS1 was a FA, his mainly lay-overs were in NY, where he has a couple of friends who choose to leave Israel for US looking for a quieter (and better?) life.

 

They took him once or twice shopping there, and I even have a Costco shopping bag (Sue? @Lionesss, not selling 😉), which I cherish. 

 

Any Costco s in the Miami area, should we somehow get to sail Bella's cruise? 😁

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Sheal said:

@bobmaclibertyBob, what docs did you bring to your GE appointment.  I have a bill each in our name, the printout with our psaid # (no name, I had to mark down who is who) and was planning to bring our driver's licenses and passport.  This should cover it or did I miss something?

 

We brought our passports, and driver's license, and a printout of the appointment confirmation from the Trusted Traveler Program website (which might be the same as your printout with psaid# since I also had to write our names on them so we would know which belonged to who).  I don't think they ever looked at the printout since it was all in their computers.  I think they only took the passport and DL.  We didn't bring any bills or other proof of address.  It won't hurt to bring more just in case, but I think a passport and DL is all they need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

 

I'm not positive of this, but I don't think you can go into a Costco unless you are a member.

We don't belong to Costco but belong to Sam's club.  Before we joined we told the person at the door we wanted to look at the store before joining.  It was no problem.  You have to scan your card to check out the merchandise so you can't buy anything unless you are a member.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

 

I'm not positive of this, but I don't think you can go into a Costco unless you are a member.

Depending on the state, there are things you can buy without a membership.  Food in the food court, alcohol (Florida may permit this, because we have purchased at BJ’s without a membership), prescriptions, and a few other things.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So since we are talking Christmas Movies, I love the old movies. Here is my list of my favorite classics. In no particular order.

It's a Wonderful Life

White Christmas

Holiday Inn

Miracle on 34th Street

The Preachers Wife

Christmas In Connecticut

A Shop Around The Corner

 

 

I've never seen It's a Wonderful life.  I've seen bits of pieces of some scenes (hard not to when channel changing at Xmas time), but never the whole movie start to finish.  Yes...there's something wrong with me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So today we officially cut the cord. We had Google Fiber but starting after the first of the year they are doing away with their tv service in favor of internet based You Tube TV. So we had a tech come out and installed a 2ghz router. Even though most of our computers aren't equipped for 2ghz it's nice to have the extra bandwidth.

 

Youtube TV will have a little bit of a learning curve as their are no numbered channels. But you can use voice control on the remote to go from one channel to another. It's dvr is on the cloud and is unlimited and you don't have to record shows they are automatically stored in the cloud.

 

I'll keep everyone posted on whether we like it or not.

 

We cut the cord when we moved to Florida, and have been using YouTube TV with 1 gig internet service.  Once you get used to using the Live grid to select what channel you want to watch, it works well.  Other than sports, there is very little that we watch live anymore anyway.  Having unlimited cloud DVR storage is very nice...just add whatever you want to your Library.  The only drawback that I've found is that there is a 30-60 second delay vs. when something is shown on cable.  If you're watching live sports while texting friends about the game, those watching on cable have to be careful that they don't ruin an upcoming play for those watching on YouTube TV.  We will occassionally (not frequently) see a show pause for a second or 2 with a black screen before proceeding.  I think it's buffering.  

 

Tip...If you want to start watching a recorded show before it is done recording, and you want to start from the beginning of the show, you'll need to find it in the "Shows" section of your Library, not the "New In Your Library" section.  For some reason, things listed in the New section will not give you the option of watching from the beginning while the recording is still in progress.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

 

I'm not positive of this, but I don't think you can go into a Costco unless you are a member.

I think that anyone can use the Costco pharmacy without being a member.  At least, that's how it used to be.  I'll have to ask the next time we're there.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

 

I absolutely have to "visit" Costco once in my lifetime 😁 I keep hearing very good things about this "shop", including very good prices for cruising

Any Costco s in the Miami area, should we somehow get to sail Bella's cruise? 😁

I would be honored to take you to Costco if you make the Bella cruise. I live in South Florida and would be able to pick you up at your hotel. we could have a fun time!

Mary

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I hope you like this Greg.

Graham

 

LOl Hilarious. I love it!

 

28 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

 

I've never seen It's a Wonderful life.  I've seen bits of pieces of some scenes (hard not to when channel changing at Xmas time), but never the whole movie start to finish.  Yes...there's something wrong with me.  

 

You really need to watch this. One of Frank Capra's best films. Though one might argue that it is really not a Christmas movie just a movie that happens during Christmas. It's still a holiday classic. You should watch it all the way. I think you will enjoy it. James Stewart is on top of his game.

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

 

We cut the cord when we moved to Florida, and have been using YouTube TV with 1 gig internet service.  Once you get used to using the Live grid to select what channel you want to watch, it works well.  Other than sports, there is very little that we watch live anymore anyway.  Having unlimited cloud DVR storage is very nice...just add whatever you want to your Library.  The only drawback that I've found is that there is a 30-60 second delay vs. when something is shown on cable.  If you're watching live sports while texting friends about the game, those watching on cable have to be careful that they don't ruin an upcoming play for those watching on YouTube TV.  We will occassionally (not frequently) see a show pause for a second or 2 with a black screen before proceeding.  I think it's buffering.  

 

Tip...If you want to start watching a recorded show before it is done recording, and you want to start from the beginning of the show, you'll need to find it in the "Shows" section of your Library, not the "New In Your Library" section.  For some reason, things listed in the New section will not give you the option of watching from the beginning while the recording is still in progress.  

 

Great tips. Once I get used to navigating the grid, I think I'll like it. Still getting used to the controls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

I would be honored to take you to Costco if you make the Bella cruise. I live in South Florida and would be able to pick you up at your hotel. we could have a fun time!

Mary

 

Oh, Mary, how kind of you. Thanks.

 

I wish everything will be back to normal until then, so I could gladly take you up on your gracious offer 🌺 😁

 

When I'm abroad, I always try to visit a local supermarket (and markets in general) to get the feeling of the place.

 

Some more than 30 years ago we took the kids to Disney and, since it was Passover, we visited a cousin of DH, who resided then in Coral Springs.

 

His wife asked me what I'd like to do... She was dumbfound that all I wanted is to visit a supermarket 😉

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

I guess I am in the minority but I found It’s  a Wonderful Life to be depressing.

 

 

Fun fact: When the movie first came out in 1946, it was a box office flop. After 15 years of The Great Depression & WW2, most of the audience also found the movie to be depressing with its dark undertones (except for the last 5 minutes).  It wasn't until the late 1970's / early 1980's when some of the some of new cable TV stations needed to fill the airtime that the movie stared to get almost 24/7 playtime & only then it became a hit.

 

Personally, I happen to be a "Miracle on 34st Street" kind of guy.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Though one might argue that it is really not a Christmas movie just a movie that happens during Christmas.

 

That's how I feel about "Die Hard". And just about every movie on the Hallmark Channel, they are really just cheesy love stories that happen to have a Christmas tree in the background.  They are not Christmas movies.

 

However, "Its a Wonderful Life" has Christmas magic in it, so therefore, its a Christmas movie.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

"Miracle on 34st Street"

"I believe.....I believe....."   lol...great movie!  I do like "It's a wonderful life" also. One of my favorites is "Prancer" with Sam Elliott, along with both the George C. Scott and Patrick Stewart versions of "A Christmas Carol". 

 

My all-time favorite is still "A Child's Christmas in Wales" with Denholm Elliott. The way they adopted Dylan Thomas's wonderful text to the screen makes for a great movie. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

they are really just cheesy love stories that happen to have a Christmas tree in the background. 

LOL  😆  So true. Completely predictable plots, although I really like "The Christmas Card". The log home where part of that movie was filmed is a beautiful property. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

 

Lots of posters here and on Bella's thread are booked on this cruise (I think I saw you posting there, if not - let me know and I'll add a link too)

 

 

Thanks, no can do already booked on March 4th 2023 on Serenade out of Tampa, after that cruise spending some additional days in Disney.

 

This is from a lift and shift and we got a very nice corner aft suite on Serenade.

 

Almost same itinerary as Oasis too.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...