Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

For a Seattle hotel, we are staying at the Marriott Waterfront,

We stayed there once before a cruise.  There is a small marina in front of the hotel that had everything from big yachts to rowboats.  One yacht in particular caught our eye…it had a Bell Jet Ranger helicopter on the helipad!!! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I remember as a teenager loving to smell suntan lotions…my favorites smell like coconuts. 
When I was a kid, it was Tartan, which had a very distinctive fragrance…I always thought of tea!

I honestly don’t know what sunscreen smells like!

Mimi, you brought up a wonderful memory of a coconut scent suntan lotion.  Coppertone! 

AND, I am totally loving all the info on Alaska and Hawaii.  I've never been but my sister and many friends told me Alaska has the most beautiful scenery.

CC really is a wonderful resource for just about anything.  They just need to find a way to fix that CC crud we get from time to time...,sigh.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

That is a very workable plan for the wintertime.  Since, John is denying me access to his driveway and limoncello.  They neither one have been nearly as accommodating as Andrew.  

It is those HOAs that Floridians seem to love. You know what New Englanders and Canadians do when someone tries to tell you what you can, and cannot, do with your property? Think think about the finger of your hand between the second and fourth one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

44 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Why not drive from Seattle to Vancouver, it's an easy drive. Why hassle with both airports?

Hmmm.  Interesting idea.  I didn't even give driving a single thought since I'm on vacation and want to be taken care of by others.  I looked into Amtrak but the timing doesn't work.  But you're right.  If we can find a place to rent a car by pier 90, we can be at our Vancouver hotel before our flight from SEA would take off.  And the views while driving are probably great??  We were also thinking of renting a car for a day while in Vancouver so we could possibly keep the car that we drive from Seattle and drop it a day later.  Worth considering.  

32 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@bobmacliberty Your plans for Alaska and Hawaii seem to be very good.

MY DH and I took a Princess cruise to Alaska out of Seattle and enjoyed it very much. 

I did a land trip with a friend when I was single many years ago. It was quite a trip as we visited Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Kona on the Big Island- Hawaii. 

With that being said,I have a few thoughts about some of the places you will be visiting.

Seattle- Depending on the teams’ schedule when you visit in September,would you want to see a Mariners or Seahawks game? We went to a Mariners’ game,more to experience the the stadium than root for the team.

You could take a round trip ferry ride out of Seattle to a nearby island. That way, you could experience seeing the harbor a bit more than when you leave  on the ship.

There may also be harbor tours offered and on a pretty day, it could be a relaxing way to see part of the city.

Skagway- we took the train and enjoyed it. My DH got some spectacular scenery photos from the observation platform at the end of the train.

There are walking tours of the town of Skagway or you can take a walk for yourself. I think there is a historic cemetery in the area as well as a local history museum.

Victoria- I agree with Mimi about the Fairmont Empress hotel. It is a lovely place, worth a visit for drinks,dinner or both.

Maui- Would you consider a day pass at one of the resorts? Since you have visited the island a few times,it may be an opportunity to relax.

Hoping that the trip is all that you are anticipating and more !

Seattle ferries look interesting.  I've read that they are mostly for commuters rather than tourists, as there isn't much to see on the other end of the ferry lines.  Any suggested places to ferry to?  Good idea on a day pass on Maui.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, exactly!     I walked by them in the morning outside the store and stopped and asked how much and the girl was so cute, she walked me thru the whole family of turtles from baby to grandpa (by size).     I told her I would be back when I returned from the beach.     I went back and she remembered me and was so happy that I actually came back.    I will have to take a photo of them.     They are really nice.     Not sure where I will put them yet.    either my back patio or the shore house.

I bought one from a guy who assured me that he personally carved it.It is sitting on one of my book shelves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Viewer said:

@bobmacliberty

We visited Kauai as a land based trip 10 years ago. The absolute highlight was a helicopter ride into Waimea Canyon with a landing and lunch by a waterfall. The ride was "doors off" I didn't tell my husband until we got there!! He still talks about that ride as one of the best things he has ever done.

Mary

+1

@bobmacliberty I second the helicopter ride.  I did this on my first trip to Kauai 46 years ago. (That just made me feel really old to type that). Anyway, it is an unforgettable way to see the island. The pilot set us down on a remote beach along the Nepali Coast, with a large natural arch.

If anyone is an Elvis fan, a trip up to the Fern Grotto is worth the trip. It is where he sang Blue Hawaii in the movie of the same name.  

When we were in Kauai a couple years ago, they had just finished one of the ocean going canoes, and it was docked at Nawiliwili harbor.   It was part of a sailing history creation to show how the Polynesians sailed to Hawaii.  Not sure if it is still there.

Make sure you go to Duke’s for some Hula pie.  There is a Dukes near Nawiliwili harbor, and also one at Lahaina on Maui.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've spent the last few days researching and planning for some of the missing pieces of our Alaska/Hawaii cruise this fall.  This is our first big trip in retirement (with most other plans having been cancelled) and we want to do it right.  Fingers (and toes) crossed that it still goes as planned. 

I'm interested in the thoughts of those of you who have been to the places that we are going.  Do you like the choices that we've made?  Do you have any alternate suggestions?  And before anyone says it, yes...I've been all over the port boards for info there as well.  There is a nice variety of people here who've been there/done that for a lot of places when it comes to cruising, and if Dani doesn't mind me using this thread, I'd love to hear your thoughts.  If this thread is still alive when we travel, I'll pay it back by posting pictures.

The main itinerary is as follows:

• Fly to Seattle on Sept 16. Spend 2.5 days in Seattle
  • 7 nights on Quantum departing Sept 19 from Seattle, return Sept 25 to Seattle
  • Fly Seattle to Vancouver on Sept 25.  Spend 3.5 days in Vancouver
  • 9 nights on Ovation departing Sept 30 from Vancouver, arrive Oct 9 in Honolulu
  • Fly to Kauai on Oct 9.  5 days in Kauai.
  • Fly home on Oct 14.

For Seattle, we're booked in the Mayflower Park Hotel.  Downtown and walkable to Pike Place Market (currently planning a walking food tour of Pike Place Market) and several restaurants.  Right on the monorail to Seattle Center for the Space Needle and Chihuly Garden and Glass.  

The Alaska cruise stops at:

• Icy Strait Point - Probably will do the Ziprider
  • Skagway - Probably the White Pass and Yukon Railway
  • Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier
  • Juneau - Helicopter Glacier tour.  Many choices...still need to pick one.
  • Victoria - ???

For Vancouver, we're booked in the Pan Pacific Hotel.  Decided to spend a little extra and be right on the harbour/right at the cruise port.  Currently planning a walking food tour of Gastown, several hours (maybe a whole day?) in Stanley Park (may rent bikes), and Capilano Suspension Bridge Park and/or Grouse Mountain.  If time, may also spend a few hours (including dinner?) on Granville Island.

The TP cruise to Hawaii stops at:

• Seattle - Will do something that we missed when there pre-cruise...Aquarium?  Museum of Flight?
  • Lahaina for 2 days - Not sure yet what we will do.  We've been to Maui 3 times and have done all of the highlights, including Haleakula sunrise (brrr), Road to Hana, Old Lahaina Luau (3 times), helicopter tour (twice), Molokini snorkel.  We might do the OL Luau again as we do like it a lot, or may try a different one.

For Kauai, we're booked in the Grand Hyatt and will have a rental car.  Planning on a day on the north coast (Princeville Botanical Gardens, Kilauea Lighthouse (if timing works for a tour), a few beaches.  Planning on a day driving along the Waimea Canyon to the Kalalau Lookout.  Planning on a Napali Coast Sunset boat tour.  May visit the Smith's Family Garden Luau and drive to a few waterfalls.  Will leave some time for pool and beach but we can do that most of the year and would rather spend limited time elsewhere.  We decided not to spend any time in Honolulu/Oahu.  Been there 3 times and have done all of the highlights there.  We decided to go straight to Kauai since we've never been there.

Because we will be gone for a month and will need clothes for potential cold/wet weather (layers) and warm/sunny weather, we need to figure out clothing/packing logistics.  We'll probably take advantage of laundry perks on the ships.

Everything is flexible right now (including hotels), so if anyone has any other ideas of places to stay/things to do, I am all ears.  We are somewhat adventurous and don't mind a little activity (e.g. short hikes), but are getting too old for anything overly strenuous or adrenaline inducing.  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.  Thanks.

We were to many of these places.We flew to Seattle and stayed at the Mayflower Hotel.We went to the Pike Place Market ,the Space Needle and did a self guided walking tour.We did a self guided walking tour of Vancouver including Gastown.We went to Stanley Park and Granville Island .

We were also in Victoria.

That was one of our favorite vacations.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Victoria I would definitely visit the Butchart Gardens. They’re remarkable. 
After her wedding, a woman moved to her new husband’s home and the view from the back was a quarry. 
What she turned that quarry into is well worth a visit. The gardens are extensive and very beautiful. 
Depending on the time you’ll have on shore, another option is Afternoon Tea at the Fairmont Empress Hotel. Elegant and expensive and you’ll need a reservation. 
Your planned itinerary looks wonderful. 
I don’t think you can make a bad choice in Alaska. I love the float planes, but would think twice now. 
I enjoy the White Pass train ride, but I am a train aficionado. 

The Butchart Gardens are beautiful.We did a 7 day land tour of Alaska by train and bus.The highlight for us was Danali National Park

The second leg of Alaska was a cruise ,both with HAL.A tour guide was assigned to us.She was very nice but it was her first job as a tour guide and she was not well prepared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

@bobmacliberty Your plans for Alaska and Hawaii seem to be very good.

MY DH and I took a Princess cruise to Alaska out of Seattle and enjoyed it very much. 

I did a land trip with a friend when I was single many years ago. It was quite a trip as we visited Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Kona on the Big Island- Hawaii. 

With that being said,I have a few thoughts about some of the places you will be visiting.

Seattle- Depending on the teams’ schedule when you visit in September,would you want to see a Mariners or Seahawks game? We went to a Mariners’ game,more to experience the the stadium than root for the team.

You could take a round trip ferry ride out of Seattle to a nearby island. That way, you could experience seeing the harbor a bit more than when you leave  on the ship.

There may also be harbor tours offered and on a pretty day, it could be a relaxing way to see part of the city.

Skagway- we took the train and enjoyed it. My DH got some spectacular scenery photos from the observation platform at the end of the train.

There are walking tours of the town of Skagway or you can take a walk for yourself. I think there is a historic cemetery in the area as well as a local history museum.

Victoria- I agree with Mimi about the Fairmont Empress hotel. It is a lovely place, worth a visit for drinks,dinner or both.

Maui- Would you consider a day pass at one of the resorts? Since you have visited the island a few times,it may be an opportunity to relax.

Hoping that the trip is all that you are anticipating and more !

We have never been to Hawaii.One of my childhood friends is a Professor at the University of Hawaii at Maui.I met him for lunch when he was in NY for a symposium several years ago and he showed me pictures of the island .

I always thought the Seattle Underground Tour sounded pretty interesting. Especially if you were a "Night Stalker" fan of the old show. It had just started when we were moving from Seattle to CA, so we never took it. If we get up there to visit, it will be on our list, along with Chihuly Gardens. I remember eating lunch at a restaurant right next to Snoqualmie falls as a child. They were impressive. 

Underground tour: http://www.undergroundtour.com/

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Hmmm.  Interesting idea.  I didn't even give driving a single thought since I'm on vacation and want to be taken care of by others.  I looked into Amtrak but the timing doesn't work.  But you're right.  If we can find a place to rent a car by pier 90, we can be at our Vancouver hotel before our flight from SEA would take off.  And the views while driving are probably great??  We were also thinking of renting a car for a day while in Vancouver so we could possibly keep the car that we drive from Seattle and drop it a day later.  Worth considering.  

Seattle ferries look interesting.  I've read that they are mostly for commuters rather than tourists, as there isn't much to see on the other end of the ferry lines.  Any suggested places to ferry to?  Good idea on a day pass on Maui.

We took the ferries and it appeared to be mostly tourists.

8 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I always thought the Seattle Underground Tour sounded pretty interesting. Especially if you were a "Night Stalker" fan of the old show. It had just started when we were moving from Seattle to CA, so we never took it. If we get up there to visit, it will be on our list, along with Chihuly Gardens. I remember eating lunch at a restaurant right next to Snoqualmie falls as a child. They were impressive. 

We enjoyed Chihuly Gardens, even with some rain mixed in.

IMG_0042.thumb.JPG.9ed977092edad1e0de8f5d9cb1327872.JPG

IMG_0097.thumb.JPG.f6fa515d8f3a2435bc1e5801ea120391.JPG

IMG_0102.thumb.JPG.08341ecb305996d603d3fd58f1ebf82e.JPG

IMG_0020.thumb.JPG.f40221d29c3cca2a27118d5b8eeece5c.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am starting to plan my garden for this year as I want to start most of my plants from seeds.     What kind of tomatoes did you plant that seemed to have a never ending yield of tomatoes? 

We went to HD this evening buying cinder block to finish a raised bed.  Last spring, when the cost of wood tripled, I tried the cinder block which was about the same cost but will last a long time.  Last year I grew 12 variety of "regular" and 3 variety cherry tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes are easy to grow and produce like crazy. I grew Large Red Cherry, Black Cherry and Yellow Pear.  First two taste great.  Yellow was good.  It was hard for me to tell when the Black Cherry was ripe.

I am narrowing down the "regular" tomatoes this year.  I will grow 10 each of my favorite slicer tomatoes, Cherokee Purple and Delicious. 8 Amish Paste.  And 4 each of Black Krim, Mortgage Lifter and Azoychka.

Have you started from seed before?  Do you grow in grow bags, raised beds or what.  What zone are you in.  We are in 7b.  How many plants do you expect to grow?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

That is a very workable plan for the wintertime.  Since, John is denying me access to his driveway and limoncello.  They neither one have been nearly as accommodating as Andrew.  

Andrew is Canadian after all.  Need I say more?😀

@A&L_OntSorry your plans are going up in smoke, again.   So frusterating with all the restrictions and then Owen having to miss out in hockey.  We took our daughter away for winter break during her senior year in high school.  The girl's new hockey coach punished her by not letting her play when she returned. No banquet or letters either for the graduating seniors.  Lousy end to her 4 years of playing for her school.  Fortunately the three years before really boosted her confidence level. 

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I know what you mean.    They were driving me bonkers on the beach in St Maarten near the Blue Bit*** Bar.     Constantly asking if I wanted my hair braided or sell me their island made jewelry.    I try to be as pleasant as possible when I say No but after awhile it wears thin on anyone.   

LOL.  We were on a beach one year and I swear the woman asked my husband (who had liitle hair left on the top of his head) if he wanted his hair braided.  I think she had gotten two much sun that day.

Another time, also in St. Marteen, a woman came around selling shell bracelets "that her brother made".  I liked it and gave her the $10 bucks.  I got a good laugh out of my foolishness when I spotted the same bracelet in Kohls when we got back.  I think of the woman and her "brother" whenever I wear it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

It's a beautiful drive right up Interstate 5 over the border. Nothing to it. Pretty much on 1 road straight up.

We actually did the drive Southbound from Vancouver, and flew home from Portland, Oregon 

We did a B2B cruise from San Diego.

Pacific Coastal Cruise, San Diego to Vancouver 11 Nights, then an RT Alaska  7Night Cruise from Vancouver.  Same ship for both cruises

Got off the ship and drove to Portland, Oregon for 5 days and stayed at the Twilight Swan House AirBnB..........It's the house that Bella Lived in the Movie Twilight. We drove all over the place looking at where scenes from the movie were shot. Lot's of fun. My wife is a big Twilight fan.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/28942373

In total we were gone about 3 weeks.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@reallyitsmemaThanks for that suggestion to install the covid app (401 something, lol).  First time I installed it I couldn't get it to do anything.  I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling and wa la!  Works like a charm and the good news is that everything matched.  Even the letter I guessed when I had to print the shot info from my booster card to the original one that I left at home on booster day.  DH had better luck and now has his on his phone too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sheal said:

@reallyitsmemaThanks for that suggestion to install the covid app (401 something, lol).  First time I installed it I couldn't get it to do anything.  I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling and wa la!  Works like a charm and the good news is that everything matched.  Even the letter I guessed when I had to print the shot info from my booster card to the original one that I left at home on booster day.  DH had better luck and now has his on his phone too.

I am glad you got it to work.  I have to go to CVS tomorrow, so I am going to see if I can get my information corrected.  I am hoping my normal store can do it, otherwise I will have to go to the one that I got my booster at to see if they can fix it.  We just wanted it on our phones since Boston now requires proof of vaccine to eat at a restaurant and other group settings.  Not that we are in there all the time, but just easier to have it loaded just in case.

• Like 2

This evening we had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Cruisewizard (Gary and Mary). They are both delightful. This is the third leg of their B2B2B.

I have not run into Twangster…..but then I don’t know who to look for!

Tomorrow is Costa Maya. It seemed we were sailing along Cuba for all day today! My mind is playing tricks…….I swear I heard someone calling O Luceeeeeeee!

I tried Curacao Cosmo today in the lounge. Robitussin! Yuk.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 6

@bobmacliberty

In Seattle , we didn't do the Space Needle. To crowded. Much better to go to the Columbia Center , it's the Tallest Building West of the Mississippi

You can get a great view and picture of both the Seattle Mariners Stadium and where the Seattle Seahawks Stadium, all in the same picture from above. It's awesome looking

https://www.seattlesouthside.com/listing/columbia-center-sky-view-observatory/1604/

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I took the Underground Tour” several years ago, and I found it very interesting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, George C said:

Loved the remake of West Side Story , thought it was super cool that Rita Moreno was included, since she was in the 1961 original, I ran into her in a bar in StThomas in mid 1980’s she was headlining on SS Norway.

We were on the Norway back in 1983...it was our first ever cruise.  There were around 30 of us, all Basketball coaches and spouses from our town.  It was quite memorable.  Ah, to be young again!

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Hanging in there.

Greg, you're almost there!  Feel better!

5 hours ago, jagsfan said:

In Kenya we had to roll the windows up every time we stopped because an arm would come in right past your nose with beads hanging from it. An arm or two for every window. 
I understand why we are solicited, but it gets old fast. 

Many years ago, driving in NYC, there were guys that would come up to your car while you were at a red light, and they'd start to wash your windshield...😬

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Surgery is February 9th. I have my preop appointment with the surgeon this Thursday. I need to think of all my questions for him to answer. 

Greg, will you be in the hospital overnight after surgery?  Jim had his surgery on a Monday, stayed overnight, and his PT started that Thursday.  He had PT every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  Jim said you have to do your homework..i.e. do all of your exercises😉  You've got this, kid!!

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Sheal said:

I missed the post recommending a COVID app. So I checked the Apple store for COVID app… and saw a list of COVID tracker apps for various states. 
Could you give me the name of the one that evidently lets you store vaccination info?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I think you should both  buy one together and surf yourself crazy.  How are you both on real waves in the ocean?

So, Jimbo, the real waves on the ocean are super awesome, however they move… they are not always in the same place and you can’t just jump on. It requires a lot of work or a seadoo to pull you to the wave.  A FlowRider the wave is always in the same place, at least on the ship, it is moving with the ship compared to an actual wave that randomly shows up… when those show up, you have to fight thru them to get out beyond the waves then when they build you paddle like hades to catch them then if you are lucky you do, you stand up….  Most likely you won’t and the wave goes to the shore without you. 

I guess, I am confused and I avoid this thread because so many super unhappy people populate a thread that is all about happiness… and it is a lot like catching a real wave, it makes me think wow.  Why do these people do this.  Surfing on or off a ship is about having fun, getting into a rhythm, enjoying the moment.  So many people on this thread don’t seem to ever do that, and further they beat on those who are.  

Again, that is why I have avoided this thread for months.

sigh….

• Like 1